The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Ping Spikes, Lagging Gameplay

Panda_iMunch
Panda_iMunch
✭✭✭✭
For the past couple of days, I have noticed that my ping in game has been fluctuating between 110 up to 2,000 at points and all points inbetween. At points, it stays at a high ping, like 400, for a couple of minutes, then returns down to the normal around 110 ping. This happens in any area at any time, although it seems to happen roughly every few minutes.

I checked my internet and still get 60 mb/s download speed with 14 ping from testing sites, so it seems to be coming from the game itself.

Any ideas as to what is going on?
Edited by Panda_iMunch on August 16, 2016 7:03PM
Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
Twitch: Pandalius
Beam: Pandalius
Twitter: Pandalius
  • Sang
    Sang
    ✭✭✭
    For the past couple of days, I have noticed that my ping in game has been fluctuating between 110 up to 2,000 at points and all points inbetween. At points, it stays at a high ping, like 400, for a couple of minutes, then returns down to the normal around 110 ping. This happens in any area at any time, although it seems to happen roughly every few minutes.

I checked my internet and still get 60 mb/s download speed with 14 ping from testing sites, so it seems to be coming from the game itself.

You described my issue exactly.
    FPS at 100, ping 110=140
    sudden spike and ping text is red and says +999 then goes back to 110.
    rubberbanding every few minutes is making the game a misery and was fine till a few days ago...3 I believe but its getting worse even after maintenance today.

I started up another resource intensive mmo and had no problems... but I want to play eso not that one.
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sang wrote: »

You described my issue exactly.
    FPS at 100, ping 110=140
    sudden spike and ping text is red and says +999 then goes back to 110.
    rubberbanding every few minutes is making the game a misery and was fine till a few days ago...3 I believe but its getting worse even after maintenance today.

I started up another resource intensive mmo and had no problems... but I want to play eso not that one.

It's a rather weird issue and it really starting to irk me off when doing any dungeon. Makes doing a rotation nearly impossible as skill will start miss firing. Not to mention how hard vMA is now with this. Hopefully they can fix this.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too am experiencing this issue and it has made it impossible for me to enjoy PvP... abilities not firing... bars not swapping... I can click Shuffle and it will literally take 3 seconds for the effect to occur...

I can't play competitively like this... so I have to resort to doing care bear stuff until this issue gets fixed.

Also to add... when this issue happens... my ping will spike to 400+... now that is typical while doing Cyrodiil during prime time hours... but when it occurs while I am out and there is no one around... it's odd...

I have checked my connection and I have no issues with my connection... next up, gonna test my connection between my host and the server.
    Edited by Rohaus on August 16, 2016 11:56PM
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rohaus wrote: »
    I too am experiencing this issue and it has made it impossible for me to enjoy PvP... abilities not firing... bars not swapping... I can click Shuffle and it will literally take 3 seconds for the effect to occur...

I can't play competitively like this... so I have to resort to doing care bear stuff until this issue gets fixed.

Also to add... when this issue happens... my ping will spike to 400+... now that is typical while doing Cyrodiil during prime time hours... but when it occurs while I am out and there is no one around... it's odd...

I have checked my connection and I have no issues with my connection... next up, gonna test my connection between my host and the server.

It seems to happen at any time, for a few minutes, and it really doesn't make any sense as to why. I can be in the city during prime hours at 60 fps 100 ping and go into a dungeon with 4 people and my ping spikes to 1000 and everything starts skipping. It makes testing builds, the really only fun thing to do atm, a complete drag.

Hate to do it, but I'm going to have to call it until this is fixed, this crap is ticking me off.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been having this problem since about yesterday on PC/NA. Steady ping of around 90-130 ms, but it'll shoot up to 400-999+ at seemingly completely random moments. And it's definitely the game because everything else works fine.

I've also been booted to login far more times than I consider acceptable since this started. I'm in Aetherian Archive right now and I got the lag/boots to login no fewer than four times on Varlariel. Much to the chagrin of myself and my team because I had to run back from the beginning every time. Hopefully this can be fixed, or there's something else that I'm missing... :/
    Edited by rhapsodious on August 17, 2016 3:36AM
    Options
  • ixie
    ixie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this problem recently, turning off my Google Drive backup seems to have fixed it. My ping would fluctuate between around 90 and 450, sometimes higher, at what appeared to be very regular intervals, after disabling my backup my ping stays around 90. The fluctuations were occurring even when the backup was fully synced.
    PC EU

Ixie - Breton Nightblade
    Paints-With-Frogs - Argonian Nightblade
    Swee Troll - Crafter Dragonknight
    Options
  • Sang
    Sang
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted the already inactive Google drive from my pc, no change. Same as it has been for the last 4 days or so.

I done pretty much everything I can think of or been suggested to try and I can safely say that my rig is running smoother and playing my -OTHER- games very well.

Logging into a lowbie templer alt very, very late at night in Auridon gave me a great spike free 30 min of playtime.

My DC main who -was- VR 50 is now VR 47 again, lol.

My sub is due in 2 days, I enjoy ESO but I will hold off on spending another dollar untill the time I am actually able to do more in-game then stand still and do crafting research.

I really hope to see improvements soon, I was having a great deal of fun.

Options
  • Lokov
    Lokov
    ✭✭✭

This game have worst network / performance optimization ever.
    Captain Org As More |Mag Blade| DC
    Bald Dude You Know From |Stam Blade| DC
    Ashot One Shot |Mag Blade| AD
    Strippirella |Stam Blade| AD
    Dont Touch My Tralala |Stam DK| DC
    Im Badman |Mag DK| DC
    Big Mac |Mag Sorc| DC
    Savitar Himself |Stam Sorc| DC
    Captain Old Fashion |Mag Plar| DC
    Chelovek Chlen-Nevidimka |Stam Warden| DC

Welcome to my TWITCH in Russian
    Options
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭
    Lokov wrote: »

This game have worst network / performance optimization ever.

And because they won't admit it, they'll inform you to change and open TCP ports. :neutral:
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
    Options
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried numerous things last night...

My motherboard has 2 NIC's on it... Killer NIC and Intel NIC. I switched to the Intel and all was well... but then the same problem returned...

I then started testing my ping... ran several trace routes... the problem is with the ESO server. Something is going on with the ESO server.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
    Options
  • Asys
    Asys
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rohaus wrote: »
    I tried numerous things last night...

My motherboard has 2 NIC's on it... Killer NIC and Intel NIC. I switched to the Intel and all was well... but then the same problem returned...

I then started testing my ping... ran several trace routes... the problem is with the ESO server. Something is going on with the ESO server.

It is on their end. They just dont care
    I need TP for my ***!
    Options
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    Please submit a ticket to our support team and be sure to include your game consultant. Please also include the server you're attempting to play on. The game consultant include a tracert report that can help our support agents identify an connection blocks that may be occurring.

If you receive an automated response, please reply to it if the issue is still ongoing.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Update: The ping spikes seems to be more frequent and worse in intensity. Even got a 6k ping spike in CoH during a gold run today.

This also seems to be going on with Fengrush who is has this ping spike many times during his stream.

I'm not sure what it is, I've turn off my modem and re-plug all the computers. Maybe I just need to hardwired my pc to the server next time.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Massive ping spikes tonight for many members of our guild. I once reached 8.1s. Things are floating on my screen at times and combat is really slow and unresponsive. What's going on?
    Edited by lonewolf26 on August 24, 2016 4:40AM
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    lonewolf26 wrote: »
    Massive ping spikes tonight for many members of our guild. I once reached 8.1 ms. Things are floating on my screen at times and combat is really slow and unresponsive. What's going on?

From what I understand (which is nothing), I have no idea what is going on. They say it's due to a communication issue with the server and told me to flush my DNS and opening my ports. Seeing as the issue seems widespread, I don't think that workaround wont help.

Maybe the server is overloaded, but I'm not a coding expert. :(
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • rokrdt05
    rokrdt05
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm having this exact same issue and many others in game are as well. This isn't something related to certain individuals, this is server side. @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom can you please have someone check into this. Submitting a support ticket and getting a generic response is not going to cut it.

I spend way too much money on this game to not be able to play because the server can't support the load capacity.
    Server: PC - North America - Daggerfall/Ebonheart

Guilds: Order of the Bear | From The Dust

Blaze | Sorcerer | DC | Former Empress
    Ulterior Motive | Templar | DC
    Detka's Tank | Dragon Knight | DC
    Tëmpëst | Sorceror | EP | Former Emperor
    Fíre | Nightblade | EP
    'Fire| Nightblade | DC
    Spëctrë | Templar | DC
    Ashléy Olsén| Dragon Knight | EP
    Options
  • milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    milesrodneymcneely2_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »
    Please submit a ticket to our support team and be sure to include your game consultant. Please also include the server you're attempting to play on. The game consultant include a tracert report that can help our support agents identify an connection blocks that may be occurring.

If you receive an automated response, please reply to it if the issue is still ongoing.
    I'm tired and I don't want to.

Besides, it's not just one or two of us. Everyone and their brother on my server (PC NA) is complaining about it.

It's definitely on your end and it definitely started after yesterday's patch.
    Options
  • LrdRahvin
    LrdRahvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Besides, it's not just one or two of us. Everyone and their brother on my server (PC NA) is complaining about it.

They break their game on a regular basis- you'll either get used to it or quit (or a combination of both.)

Options
  • Amsel_McKay
    Amsel_McKay
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Day 3 still broken... 30 tickets from me... no replies or fixes
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    This issue is even worse if you head into vMA. The lag kills you so much. Even some NPCs are glitching and not in their right places, dodge rolling becomes difficult if not useless, rotations are impossible to maintain, abilities take a couple of seconds to actually fire, and the classic NPC sliding effect. This is compounded even more if you take into account the forever sprinting bug that still seems to crop up in vMA, which has killed more than a few times.

I'n afraid just to stream due to the fact I can't imagine how *** the ping would be and how much less fun I can derive from doing some content now a days.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • hasselhoffman
    hasselhoffman
    ✭✭✭
    This explains my problem to the tee. What is going on? I'm lagging even in Wrothgar and I've never had this issue. Reset my router to factory settings, rebooted routers, and the whole nine yards this still has not fixed the problem. Other people that I know are reporting the same issue.
    Options
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    This explains my problem to the tee. What is going on? I'm lagging even in Wrothgar and I've never had this issue. Reset my router to factory settings, rebooted routers, and the whole nine yards this still has not fixed the problem. Other people that I know are reporting the same issue.

Your end seems to be fine, but the servers are craping out or getting DDoS atm. This issue is either way harming the playability of the game.
    Yeetus that fetus

Options
  • hasselhoffman
    hasselhoffman
    ✭✭✭
    Glad I am not the only one having this issue.
    Options
  • Holy-Dope
    Holy-Dope
    ✭✭✭
    10k ping here...
    DC- Holy DOPE, Altmer Nightblade
    (And many those who did not make it to the end R.I.P.)

Options
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I moved to a different county and am still having the problem! And yes, I moved just so I could prove my theory, there is no spoon.
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
    Options
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently get more lag spikes in pve too (pc eu).
    Also today had one heavy lag inside delve, a freeze and log off automatically to logging screen. Then I was unable to log in again (got an Error 301 (3:1:669:0) and had to close the client.
    My internet connection was fine enough.
    Edited by Gargath on August 28, 2016 12:37PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
    Options
  • BMalk
    BMalk
    Soul Shriven
    I just finished the download and can't play 'cause lag as hell, +999 latency.... My connection is 1,4Mb/s, no problems with skype or anything else. Sometimes I get error reports while trying to login. NA server
    Edited by BMalk on August 29, 2016 1:31AM
    Options
  • Zamuro
    Zamuro
    ✭✭✭
    bro ... my connection is 10mb/s and i get no more than 40-50 ms in all other games, here i get perma 100+, theres really something wrong with the supporting of this game
    Options
  • dotlife
    dotlife
    ✭✭
    Yes there is some kind of problem with spikes. PC EU
    Options
  • LZH
    LZH
    ✭✭✭✭
    Been having lag spikes since August 14th. I have honestly tried everything at this point. The problem has to be with ZOS's servers because I don't have a single problem playing Destiny, Rocket League, streaming Twitch and Youtube, etc.

PC NA
    Options