Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help with Hybrid Build

RagnaroftheGoonies
RagnaroftheGoonies
Soul Shriven
Hi, level 6 High Elf Templar. Loving the game so far.

I would like to make my character's main weapon a destruction staff but then have the second set when I hit lv15 be a sword and shield. I know I need to put my points into magic for the staff and stamina for the sword and shield but I also read that splitting points is not a great idea. Can I get some recommendations on how best to approach spending my skills on a build like this? Thank you.
  • Freakquent
    Freakquent
    ✭✭
    Since you're a high elf I'd say just go straight magicka. You can still use sword and board on your second bar, but I wouldn't recommend using any of the skills from the skill line, the skills cost stamina, along with when you block an attack - it takes stamina out. Hope I helped.
    CP400+
    PC/NA PVP: BWB, Trueflame, Haderus & Azura's
    Typically known as Eunil - Peio - Dobrev
    Pugz - Imperial Trade Union - The Guardians Galore
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    only help i could suggest, is do NOT go hybird. Even a tank will focus mainly in one or the other resource.

Hybirds just do not work.
  • RagnaroftheGoonies
    RagnaroftheGoonies
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks guys. How is that I see people going dual wield with magic stating that they get the bonuses from the dual wield weapons for their magic damage. Are they just not putting points into stamina and thus actually not using thier dual weird weapons? Just having them equipped and shooting spells out instead?
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dual wield has a passive that increases all damage when you are holding swords, even if you don't use them. Add that to the fact that dual swords have a higher base damage than staffs and you get the situation we're in where every mage out there has swords in their hands but not a single dual-wield skill on their bar.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. How is that I see people going dual wield with magic stating that they get the bonuses from the dual wield weapons for their magic damage. Are they just not putting points into stamina and thus actually not using thier dual weird weapons? Just having them equipped and shooting spells out instead?

Magicka builds using DW are only using them for the spell damage buff from last passive in DW passives, apart from that, its useless.

IMO, its another stunning example of Zos logic at play, swords are for melee characters and should have nothing whatsoever to do with magickal damage, unless ofc the weapons are have magicka based enchants, but there we go
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• RagnaroftheGoonies
    RagnaroftheGoonies
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the feedback. Guess I will just leave my High Elf a magicka user and will role another stamina base character when ready.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, with regards to DW, it does increase Spell Damage, but it also gives you nothing worth while to Weave Attacks with. But, if all you do is fire skills and use light attacks to animation cancel so you can fire off another skill, I guess it's OK. The reason for it, is some Magic Skills scale from Weapon Damage, but not all.*

I have a Magic DK who uses a Destro Staff on the Main Bar and 1 Hand/Shield on the "Tank" bar. I put that in quotes as while I am very tanky with 1 H/S going, I am not in my Tank Gear, but I have great survivability against Bosses. So, you can use an otherwise Stamina weapon on a Magic Character, but I think 1 H/S is about the only good one to do this with. And, that is because of the Stat Boost the Shield gives me.

What I prefer to do is use the weapon that scales from the resource pool I use for my skills. This way when I do weave light and heavy attacks, they are doing something. I even go so far as to put points into the Staff Passive in the Champ line (31/32 points I think that gets me 12% more oomph from my staff). I get almost as much, and sometimes more, from my Melee Staff Attacks as I do my Skill Attacks, even with less Critical Chance.

Being a Templar, with mine, I just ran two Destro Staffs, one AoE bar, one Single Target/Boss Bar. Or, even better, and also making your self really useful to groups, is to run a Restro Staff on the second bar (to at least train it up). This way you can be a DPS or a Healer, or even both. Healers are always in demand.

*I think it is mostly/only for Sorcerer Skills, but I never tried on my Templar as it sucked so bad to use DW on my Sorcerer
    Edited by Nestor on August 9, 2016 8:52PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You don't need to min/max to be efective. You are free to add some variety. Get a powered sword, infused shield with stamina enchant. Have them be from a defensive set. Stick breath and defensive posture along with any defense or buff skills you need. That's your defense bar.

Build your magic and offensive skills as you need them on the attack bar.

Adjust as your needs or play style dictate, not just on the highest numbers.
    only help i could suggest, is do NOT go hybird. Even a tank will focus mainly in one or the other resource.

Hybirds just do not work.

This is not true, at least for DK tanks. A combination magicka for utility skills, stamina for blocking, and an understanding of resource management is very effective for a tank's number one goal, not dying.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • RagnaroftheGoonies
    RagnaroftheGoonies
    Soul Shriven
    Okay, so what I am gathering is that I should stick to a staff on my main bar and put the majority of my posts into magic.

But I can go ahead and put a few into stamina and make sure that my h/s have strong stamina enchants on my second bar.

Right?

Sorry guys, I'm brand new to this game. Always loved the ES series.Thank you all for your help.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only real reason to put points or enchants in both magicka and stamina is if you are going to be a tank-type character. If you are going to be leveling through the story then being a tank is not going to be much fun for you, everything is going to take forever. Tanks are more for PvP or dungeons.

While you're leveling just stack magicka and maybe a little health if you need it. Don't invest in stamina unless you are making a specific tank build for PvP or group PvE. Remember that you can always change your attribute points and enchantments later.
    Edited by wayfarerx on August 9, 2016 9:16PM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Okay, so what I am gathering is that I should stick to a staff on my main bar and put the majority of my posts into magic.

But I can go ahead and put a few into stamina and make sure that my h/s have strong stamina enchants on my second bar.

Right?

Sorry guys, I'm brand new to this game. Always loved the ES series.Thank you all for your help.

Rule of thumb (with food). Do you die in 3 or fewer hits, or before you can get a heal/drink a potion? Add some health.

Can you block a few hits and still break free or dodge roll out of CC/roots? Or can you sprint and roll to get behind cover before you are out of stamina? If not, add some stamina.

Once your survivability is at what you are comfortable with, put everything else into magicka. Adjust as needed.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you remember to stay Agile, Mobile and Hostile, you can start to avoid attacks, and soon, most won't hit you. Your DPS won't be as high cuz your moving around as much as attacking, but it's a lot more fun.

I remember Shannon Sharpe once trashed talked "You couldn't cover me in a phone booth". That is what I say to myself when I am going into some fights.

And, while I said you can be a healer if you level a Healing Staff, this is not to say that you can't start Healing effectively now with the built in Templar Skills. You can do quite well with just the Class Skills. The staff just makes you a better healer.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    I think i should pipe in here again, and not trying to derail, but...

It sounds to me like you would REALLY enjoy playing a tank type toon(magicka based maybe?) then you could go sword and shield with resto in offhand for heals/barriers/etc.

Also, bonus is as a tank, once you start carving into CP levels, you will absolutely no trouble finding groups :D
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a somewhat related note, currently the game doesn't really allow for hybrid builds to be successful. I've been thinking about it however, with the advent of sets that give both weapon and spell damage (i.e. Molag Kena).

With the most recent racial passive changes, Dark Elf (dunmer) is starting to look really hybrid-like.

Additionally, undaunted passives and hakeijo glyphs could assist in a hybrid build. Lastly, I think 5 pieces of heavy black rose would go well with this.

The only thing I am left wondering is: what would be the best class for a hybrid build?
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a templar, and while I am doing solo content, this is exactly my setup: destro staff on main bar, and sword and board on backbar.

Note however that I don't use any skills from the 1H&S skill line. All my skills are magicka based, and all my attributes are allocated into magicka.
    The shield is only here to provide some more mitigation while I am on my backbar, casting buffs. Also, by having a set that has an "activate" 5th bonus, I can have only 3 set pieces on my gear, and sword an shield complete the set.
    This makes room for 4 set pieces on my armor, and another 5th set piece as my main weapon - destro staff.

This is one of the advantage of DW or 1H&S, you get another piece of get to complete sets, and that is why sometimes magicka builds equip DW or 1H&S.
    But don't mistake them for a hybrid build.
    Hybrid builds are not viable at all in ESO, apart from maybe tanks.

EDIT: there is ONE set that is aimed towards hybrid builds, but I am not really confident it works:
    Pelinal Aptitude
    Edited by Dubhliam on August 10, 2016 3:50PM
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • RagnaroftheGoonies
    RagnaroftheGoonies
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dubhliam wrote: »

EDIT: there is ONE set that is aimed towards hybrid builds, but I am not really confident it works:
    Pelinal Aptitude

There are some sets (I'm thinking the undaunted unweaver and at least one other undaunted set) that have a combination of magicka and stamina buffs; I think they were originally designed when softcaps were still used.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis