Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Do one-handed builds have an advantage over two-handed builds since they can use an extra set item?

Transairion
Transairion
✭✭✭✭✭
Something I'm sure that's come up before but I don't have much experience with is the difference between one handed builds (dual wielders, sword and shield) VS two handed builds (bows, staves and two-handed melee weapons). As far as I know they're mostly meant to be the same, with different bonuses and abilities down the different weapon lines. But a rather glaring difference I noticed as a staff user is that because my weapon takes up both weapon slots, I can't use as many set pieces as I can if I had two weapons.

One handed builds can use all 12 item slots (weapons/jewelry/armor) while two handed builds only get 11 item slots: this becomes more noticeable when you realize that with certain jewelry-inclusive sets, you can actually outright have two 5-peice bonuses as well as a Monster Set at active at the same time if you're one-handed, but can't do so if two-handed. Considering some 5 pieces are really good, isn't that a big power jump? At first I reasoned it as being "two-handed are ranged like staves/bows and the rest are melee", but aren't there two-handed melee weapons as well? Does that just mean going a two-handed melee weapon is just silly since you can get more item bonuses going dual-wield/shield?

This isn't the case for traits, oddly enough: one-handed weapons/shields only have half the trait power of a 2-handed weapon (IE 4% for one handed VS 8% for 2 handed) so the end result is the same level as power, whereas with item sets two-handed weapons only count for a single item in the set while dual-wielding the same item set counts both. I've seen calls for two-handed weapons to count twice as far as item sets as concerned to equalize them with dual-wielding, but I don't know how seriously those have been taken or much else.

So am I missing something, it seems pretty slanted towards one-handed...
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 handed sword gets rally, universal access to major brutality, dual wield you have to use weapon damage pots or get the buff some other way (dreugh king slayer is pretty good for that)

Edited by Voxicity on August 1, 2016 3:19PM
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual wield gets more raw damage as well. Yes, this is a pretty big disparity.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    KaiVox22 wrote: »
    2 handed sword gets rally, universal access to major brutality, dual wield you have to use weapon damage pots or get the buff some other way (dreugh king slayer is pretty good for that)

you can use dreugh king for perma brutality and dw and 1+s isnt too bad in pvp so you dont have to farm maelstrom
    Edited by raviour on August 1, 2016 3:20PM
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    raviour wrote: »

you can use dreugh king for perma brutality

I already said that. Isn't sharpened dreugh king swords pretty expensive though?
  • juhasman
    juhasman
    ✭✭✭✭
    No it's not about additional set item when there are maelstorm weapons exist. It's about fact 1h+shield skill line have OP skills and passives.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No it's not.
    IMO, concerning stam and mag dpses, THW/STAFF is way better than DW. One extra set piece doesn't put it up for the difference.

For tanking, using one and shield is slighty better, but you can still tank with THW/STAFF.

Healers, restoring staff is a must, DW is only good for critical passive.

I'm pretty sure that the game is THW/STAFF oriented.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    for some reason i couldn't see your dreugh king comment and can see it now sorry :(
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    raviour wrote: »
    for some reason i couldn't see your dreugh king comment and can see it now sorry :(

Beer goggles??? >:)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • raviour
    raviour
    ✭✭✭✭
    hehe no it wasnt show on post but when i quoted it showed up, forum is bugged needs fix :)
  • Transairion
    Transairion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    juhasman wrote: »
    No it's not about additional set item when there are maelstorm weapons exist. It's about fact 1h+shield skill line have OP skills and passives.

What about all those players who'll never get/use a Maelstorm/Master weapon? Between a non-set generic weapon and a set weapon, isn't one that's part of a set (even if you only get part of a set) preferable?

IE Two-handed users can still get up to 4-peice bonuses.
  • dwtdwtdwt
    dwtdwtdwt
    ✭✭✭

Dual Wield has Flying Blade, which also grants you the Major Brutality buff. No damage buff pots needed.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
  • josefcifkaeb17_ESO
    josefcifkaeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always hated that dual wield gets more spell power than a destruction staff... Add one more set bonus to it and a staff is out of the question... I hate being a mage without a staff :/
    (つ -‘ _ ‘- )つ ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For stam 2H build itself does not really compare to DW. To begin with so one cannot to a good comparison on how the extra set bonus helps.

For magika, light weave from 2 1-h weapons is weak and a big loss in dps. Carrying the staff is best beneficial for at least most builds so again, no valid comparison.
  • CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milvan wrote: »
    No it's not.
    IMO, concerning stam and mag dpses, THW/STAFF is way better than DW. One extra set piece doesn't put it up for the difference.

For tanking, using one and shield is slighty better, but you can still tank with THW/STAFF.

Healers, restoring staff is a must, DW is only good for critical passive.

I'm pretty sure that the game is THW/STAFF oriented.

What are you basing this off of? Can you provide me one end-game pve dps build that uses a 2H over DW? I am talking trials here. Most magicka DPS use DW now for the extra spell damage and set piece as well. Why do you think 2 Torugs swords are so popular in many endame builds? We haven't seen 2H being used for magicka builds since vDSA master greatsword was BiS. And I don't think the OP was talking about DW vs 2H for magicka builds. It hunk the comparison is more about DW vs 2H and bow for stamina builds.

What do you mean by DW critical passive for healing? That only applies to weapon crit, it has nothing to do with healing. You use dual world for the extra spell damage when healing.

PvP is a different story of course, but for pure pve DPS, DW is leagues above and not just because of maelstrom weapons.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And 4 months ago we were still complaining about Wrecking Blow being overpowered.

The one handed weapon only appears to have an advantage, and even when they do it's after a long amount of farming and crafting. In which case, they've earned their advantage. That being said, the guy using the Sharpened Maul who just popped his Corrosive Armor....he's going to hurt some folks.

The Staff is arguably one of the most versatile and powerful weapons in the game. Its skills are amazing.

1h+Shield skills and passives aren't as strong outside of PvP, the vast majority of players I know who use 1h and shield are tanks.

Just my thoughts.
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2h Skill line has access to the 2nd best execute in the game, rally which is a stamina burst heal and major brutality and a HoT, gap closer, a strong spamable damage dealing attack with CC and 30% increased stam regen after killing the target. Other skills lines if anything should be buffed to meet the 2h standard since 2h bow is the most common stamina setup I have seen in Cyrodill.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dualwield could slot shrouded dagger (or whatever the skill/morph is called) for the major brutality.
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    juhasman wrote: »

Im not with you mate?
    Are you talking PvPer?
    Because Tanks need decent passives to be able to operate, I don't see anything overpowered in that skill set.

Be safe