The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Newbie XP questions

billp_ESO
billp_ESO
✭✭✭✭
Just a couple of newbie XP questions:

1) is XP based on damage done? For example, at a Dolmen, I tag the mob but do little damage, not in a group, do I get the same XP as if I did a lot of dmg? What if I'm too slow and don't tag it at all, no XP?

2) same question for groups, really. Is XP based on dmg done by the individual? Or would I get XP in a group even if I do no dmg at all?
Edited by billp_ESO on July 31, 2016 12:12AM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For XP from mobs, each mob, depending on your level, gives a set amount of it. If you're 6 levels above or below mobs with set levels, you won't get any XP. If the area scales, like DLC areas and Cyrodiil, you'll get XP.
    For group XP, it can depend. If you're grinding, it's best you do some damage to get decent XP. It can really depend on where you are, how many people you're in a group with, how many people are just in the area, and more.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XP is based on the mob you are killing, and any modifiers on your character (i.e. Training gear, enlightenment, xp potions, etc.)

If you are in a group and everyone in that group including you is eligible for xp from the mobs being killed (i.e., no more than 5 levels above), you will get your share of the xp as long as you are in range of the fight when the members of the mob die, you will get experience even if you did not participate at all.

If you are in a group with someone who is too high a level to get experience for killing the mobs, you will need to at least tag the monsters to get experience. (I don't know if healing counts in this case).

If you are not in a group with someone, you will only get experience if you at least tag the monsters OR heal the person fighting them. (They have to have been missing at least some health for the healing to work.)

If you are more than five levels above the monster, you will never get experience for killing it, regardless of your grouping or healing status. You will still get experience for any achievements earned while fighting them, of course, but none for the monsters themselves. (If you are champion level, you can earn experience from anything at least level... 45 or 46, I don't remember exactly which).

I hope this helps!
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1) is XP based on damage done? For example, at a Dolmen, I tag the mob but do little damage, not in a group, do I get the same XP as if I did a lot of dmg? What if I'm too slow and don't tag it at all, no XP?
    Yes, based on damage done and healing done, so either try to do a lot of damage or healing (target for healing must be below max health). Tagging at least is better than nothing. You don't get any XP for a mob that just dies near you if you are not in a group that killed it.

2) same question for groups, really. Is XP based on dmg done by the individual? Or would I get XP in a group even if I do no dmg at all?
    In groups, best XP is 2 people in the group. With 3 people in group, you get a little less for each mob, but sometimes you can kill many mobs more quickly than 1 or 2. As long as you are close to the mob when someone in your group kills it, you get full XP when it dies even if you are sitting there afk and didn't do any damage. There is a certain range, used to be about 30-40m, but I believe it's shorter now. If you are in a group and somebody else outside the group tags the same mob, then the XP is even lower.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on July 31, 2016 1:15AM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, based on damage done and healing done, so either try to do a lot of damage or healing (target for healing must be below max health). Tagging at least is better than nothing. You don't get any XP for a mob that just dies near you if you are not in a group that killed it.

In groups, best XP is 2 people in the group. With 3 people in group, you get a little less for each mob, but sometimes you can kill many mobs more quickly than 1 or 2. As long as you are close to the mob when someone in your group kills it, you get full XP when it dies even if you are sitting there afk and didn't do any damage. There is a certain range, used to be about 30-40m, but I believe it's shorter now. If you are in a group and somebody else outside the group tags the same mob, then the XP is even lower.

i doubt that the range has changed - snipe is normal bow range plus 5m - and iIrc bow range is longer in Cyrrodil, so that you can get up to 45m range with a snipe mark in Cyrrodil.
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies!
  • CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    billp_ESO wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

I just want to point out, that you should have a good progression if you finish each zone before moving on to the next. Complete the main story, each size quest, dolmens, delves, skyshards, the zone bosses (ones marked with the sort of skull and crossbones). Perhaps spend some time learning crafting, etc on the way up. Get levels by deconstructing some of the loot you find and combining a few things.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion
  • billp_ESO
    billp_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    CapnPhoton wrote: »
    billp_ESO wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

I just want to point out, that you should have a good progression if you finish each zone before moving on to the next. Complete the main story, each size quest, dolmens, delves, skyshards, the zone bosses (ones marked with the sort of skull and crossbones). Perhaps spend some time learning crafting, etc on the way up. Get levels by deconstructing some of the loot you find and combining a few things.

Thanks! I have three types of characters now:
    1) my "main", who goes through each zone like you said
    2) my "tester", who I use to test out skills and builds. He tends to find dolmens and grinds mobs near them and does the dolmen a lot for fast leveling. Just to test out the skills and classes.
    3) my crafter, who deconstructs everything the other two gather, and makes stuff for them.