Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Why haven't you done a dungeon yet?

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parablodia wrote: »
    Once i was playing with my friend in group dungeon. He kept dying because of not blocking and not avoiding reds. Then he stopped atacking because 'i was not healing'.
    I kicked him from the group. #NoRegrets

Did you explain to him, what he was doing wrong and what he should avoid doing resp. not doing?
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hehe thanks to this thread I'm doing some vet dungeons right now :smiley:
    Let's see how it goes :blush:
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    As a healer with all yellow gear and well over CP cap, I like to play dungeon finder roulette. FInd the worst team possible and try to carry them with heals and dps.

A very "rare" breed, indeed.

As a former "healer" archtype player, I seriously applaud your efforts.

In this day and age of "min/max" and "efficiency", you won't really see much of this at all.

There's no fun to healing a hardcore group in standard 4man dungeons. Spend most of the time dpsing or trying to find ways to throw out more buffs to keep myself awake through the 10 minute (if even) ride!

Yep. Gold pledge with 4 flawless conquerors is a breeze.
  • Tobius
    Tobius
    ✭✭✭
    I have done a few dungeons, but I am the kind of person like to do something and be done with it. The having to grind the same dungeons over and over just to get something to drop doesn't appeal to me all that much. Yes, I do understand that is how most MMOs work, but I don't know... the first time you run through a dungeon it is new and exciting, the twentieth time it is just a chore.
    "Remember: Sometime the Dragon wins."
  • Parablodia
    Parablodia
    ✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    Parablodia wrote: »
    Once i was playing with my friend in group dungeon. He kept dying because of not blocking and not avoiding reds. Then he stopped atacking because 'i was not healing'.
    I kicked him from the group. #NoRegrets

Did you explain to him, what he was doing wrong and what he should avoid doing resp. not doing?

I did. But he kept running around not attacking mobs. So i kicked him.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to play solo/cooperatively, and where appropriate will venture on that basis far enough into a dungeon to get a skyshard but that's all. I like to play my way and not be told how to play, how to gear, how to build etc. I also like to play in my own time and at my own pace, so long dungeon sessions aren't really feasible. I have no interest in competitive PvE or in PvP and therefore have no need of the best gear or the best build.

Time was back in the EQ day when I used to do a lot with guilds and groups but these days I find that less rewarding. I also have no interest in voice chat.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    I prefer to play solo/cooperatively, and where appropriate will venture on that basis far enough into a dungeon to get a skyshard but that's all. I like to play my way and not be told how to play, how to gear, how to build etc. I also like to play in my own time and at my own pace, so long dungeon sessions aren't really feasible. I have no interest in competitive PvE or in PvP and therefore have no need of the best gear or the best build.

Time was back in the EQ day when I used to do a lot with guilds and groups but these days I find that less rewarding. I also have no interest in voice chat.

That sounds like me - I have pretty similar opinions about it.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have. You don't know my story.
  • x_Nathan_F
    x_Nathan_F
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy doing dungeons, mainly on my magicka nb and sorc I like trying to help people finish vet dungeons because I was once in a spot where I was constantly dropping I like trying to help people and teach them the mechanics was in vet darkshade for almost two hours 2 people around 110 CP and the other around 240 we wiped here and there but we all got better and eventually did it.
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I got burned out in other MMOs from the preponderance of bad behavior, and wish ESO's dungeons and trials would have scaling difficulties to accomodate smaller groups of folks (but obviously not qualify for the same rewards or leaderboards).
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the biggest thing that gives me pause with doing dungeons is that I worry how I'm going to perform and how people will react. I still get kinda nervous about it whenever I join a group but not nearly as much as I was on my first attempt.

The very first dungeon I ever did was Shadowfang Keep in Warcraft as a DPS. I was terrified! I mean absolutely terrified I was going to screw up something awful and everyone would hate me. My hands were shaking the whole way through.

It actually went rather well though. The group was a good one that helped give me a general run down on the important stuff and while they teased me a few times for some of my sillier mistakes they weren't mean about it. I still had to log out when it was over to get my self a cup of tea and pull myself together before I ended up having a panic attack but I felt good about it because now I knew if I could do one I could do the others too. So from that point on I pushed myself to do each dungeon. Just one each week, until I did them all.

The more I did the more I came to enjoy it. The more I learned about my class, my role and the game in general. Then I started trying other roles and fell in love with being a healer. From that point on I was hooked on dungeons.
    Edited by Fruitmass on July 30, 2016 6:27PM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MopeyHat I would like to applaud you for starting this thread. Most of the people replying now have done at least one dungeon, as have I. I would be interested in hearing from more forum lurkers who haven't :)
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• Eirikir
    Eirikir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have managed a few. I'm not against dungeon diving, in fact I really need to do more, my Undaunted level compared to my other skill lines is embarrassing. But I only have an hour or two a night to play if that. I que up as I log in and most times never even pop.

Unless I can scrape a group together on the weekends I can't go. And most of my friends have similar schedules.
    Server: PS4-NA
    PSN: Eirikir
    Name: Eirikir "Erik" Kololf
    Alliance: Ebonheart Pact
    Race: Nord (Lycanthrope)
    Class: Dragonknight (Range DPS)
    Playstyle: Crafter, PVE, PVP, Roleplayer
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »

That sounds like me - I have pretty similar opinions about it.

You guys are like my opposite, haha. I love voice chat and what really drives me to play this game lately is doing PvE or PvP with some friends. I can hardly sit down to play a single-player game anymore. And I used to get so anxious I would pretend I didn't have a mic...
    Morimizo wrote: »

I got burned out in other MMOs from the preponderance of bad behavior, and wish ESO's dungeons and trials would have scaling difficulties to accomodate smaller groups of folks (but obviously not qualify for the same rewards or leaderboards).

I do wish there was more content for groups of different sizes. I want to do trials more regularly but I'm torn between not really wanting to commit to another guild, and struggling to get enough people organized in my regular guild. We're stuck doing PvP or IC for groups larger than 4 but less than 12.
  • Dromede
    Dromede
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reading this thread makes me so sad... As an experienced player, i was a little harsh to new players couple times when group finder was just introduced. In my defence, i usually only have 2-3 hours to play a day, and i sincerely apologize for my impatience :(

Dungeons and pledges in general are fun. I hope more people get to experience them, as running them gives you good loot, gold and better understanding of game and skills.
    Skye Cloude - Sorc DPS, Master Crafter. Main, the bestest
    Lae Lenne - Templar Healer Trial grade.
    Dromede - Stamina Nightblade, she's a newb and doesn't know what she's doing
    V'oghatta - Stamplar pretending to be a tank
    Ulville Thonvella - aspiring Fire Mage, be careful around her fire sticks!
    Dromedaris - lost and not found. Named after a shoe, what else can you expect from her? A proper tank in her wildest dreams
    Swims-Naked - too pretty to grind, too silly to quest.
    Sun Flair - Dunmer Templar that can't spell for life. To bad she's too broke to afford a name change... Well, at least she's pretty...
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, I'm tired of over scripted fights.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have completed a couple of low level dungeons once or twice, but that's all. I have barely scratched the surface.

There are a couple of reasons why I haven't completed more of them to date. Firstly, I tend to create deliberately unorthodox builds. The powerful mage or the battle-hardened warrior just don't grab my interest and so I create weaker characters who focus on a handful of skills and a hotchpotch of abilities that reflect how I want to play them. This means i'm less likely to be of use in group situations at higher levels. I'm fine with that - playing how I want is more important, and if that means solo or, on occasion, with another like-minded individual, so be it.

Secondly, I think that dungeons can sometimes be rewarding experiences if tackled slowly, steadily and almost timorously. Finding that cave or ruin for the first time and not knowing what to expect, not knowing what fabulous riches or unique items you may find or how difficult it will be is so appealing to me. From what I have seen so far, the dungeons are incredible environments, wonderfully designed, often beautiful, and sometimes cold and foreboding. With so much to take in I can't help but stop and stare. Playing solo, and being able to survive solo so I can experience that, means dungeons are less likely to be visited at lower levels. That might not be what the game designers had in mind, or what the MMO experience is all about, but I can't help myself!
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Flubble86
    Flubble86
    Soul Shriven
    i haven't done a dungeon yet because the game isn't stable enough to run for more than 5 minutes before crashing...
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only done one or two dungeons myself (mostly waaay back before scaling was a thing), and while I did have fun playing through them (the lack of context because everyone charges on ahead while I'm still trying to listen to the dialogue notwithstanding), I'm still pretty paralysed by the thought of not being good enough to do them, so I mostly stick to solo stuff.

I've even had at least one person offer to run through some dungeons with me (on the forums, no less), but at that point I was trying to get the fishing achievements, then I went back over to SWTOR for a bit, so I've not really had the guts to say anything since.

Also my internet is slow as balls, so I really don't want to put anyone else through that, which is also one of the many reasons I also don't play PVP, and these days barely play the game in general, which is a huge shame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    As a side note, my most memorable instance when actually playing a dungeon was with a PUG in Vaults of Madness (that is the one in Coldharbour, right?)

We couldn't get past the giant flaming flesh atronach for ages, and mostly wiped within minutes. I was playing a largely unoptimised tank (she's supposed to be more for crafting than actually playing), but she had a bow as a backup, so after everyone else died, I just kited using bow light attacks until it finally went down, and it was the best feeling ever.

So yeah, they can be great fun when I actually get into them, but it's taking the first step is the problem for me, I think.
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • Elfbait
    Elfbait
    ✭✭✭
    I've had fantastic experiences with PUGs, with lots of laughter, patience, and ,ultimately, success and horrible experiences with PUGs (hyper competitive dudes who get angry that you're playing an "unoptimized" build and so they tell you to kill yourself and blame you for their own failures.) Unfortunately, the latter experiences were so bad, that I just don't take the risk anymore. I don't play this game to be made to feel bad for playing the character I like instead of the latest meta.

There are dungeons in this game that I will likely never get to play through because of those bad experiences. Luckily the single player experience in this game is pretty great.

Edited by Elfbait on July 30, 2016 7:51PM
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only done one or two dungeons myself (mostly waaay back before scaling was a thing), and while I did have fun playing through them (the lack of context because everyone charges on ahead while I'm still trying to listen to the dialogue notwithstanding), I'm still pretty paralysed by the thought of not being good enough to do them, so I mostly stick to solo stuff.

I've even had at least one person offer to run through some dungeons with me (on the forums, no less), but at that point I was trying to get the fishing achievements, then I went back over to SWTOR for a bit, so I've not really had the guts to say anything since.

Also my internet is slow as balls, so I really don't want to put anyone else through that, which is also one of the many reasons I also don't play PVP, and these days barely play the game in general, which is a huge shame.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    As a side note, my most memorable instance when actually playing a dungeon was with a PUG in Vaults of Madness (that is the one in Coldharbour, right?)

We couldn't get past the giant flaming flesh atronach for ages, and mostly wiped within minutes. I was playing a largely unoptimised tank (she's supposed to be more for crafting than actually playing), but she had a bow as a backup, so after everyone else died, I just kited using bow light attacks until it finally went down, and it was the best feeling ever.

So yeah, they can be great fun when I actually get into them, but it's taking the first step is the problem for me, I think.

Killing a boss solo when your whole group is dead is the best feeling ever.

And I'd extend the same offer by the way, and to anyone playing on PC/NA. I think everyone should get to see the dungeon content if they want to!
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to walk & I want to take pictures, so no PUGs for me unfortunately!
    :/
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • melianos
    melianos
    ✭✭
    My builds are always hybrid types, never "pure" DPS, tank or heal.
    So I don't know how I could fit in the 2 DPS, 1 tank 1 heal.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    melianos wrote: »
    My builds are always hybrid types, never "pure" DPS, tank or heal.
    So I don't know how I could fit in the 2 DPS, 1 tank 1 heal.

Same, I do as well not have any experience with such a setup.
  • Necrelios
    Necrelios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done a couple of dungeons, but I avoid them because I'm far too high on the adult ADHD scale for structured content like that. I need to be free to run off and do random things at a whim and if I'm trapped in a dungeon or waiting in a que for too long I start feeling really cagey like the walls are closing in. Same goes for maelstrom arena. I just can't stay focused on an objective for that long.
    Terms & Conditions ["We revoke permission to fictional legal constructs or private/public persons for selling of any private data, censorship, surveillance, personage or conversion as a trespass of law. We prohibit the practice of "procedural law" or corporate statues in place of divine law."]
  • CJohnson81
    CJohnson81
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh, the number of "elite" players kinda scares me off. My build isn't perfect and I don't want to get yelled at.
    Huor Melwasul - Archdemon, The Demons of Light - Warlock, Hufflepuff House - ADXB1 - NA
    I'm only updating this because we're commenting on a thread about signatures. Give me awesomes!
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MopeyHat wrote: »
    I keep seeing people say they've never done a dungeon, or only done one or two.

What keeps you out of dungeons? Is it the dungeon finder being glitchy? Players turn you off? Does PvP or roleplaying keep you busy?

Doing dungeons while leveling is a little bit of a waste. As the content levels up with you, so does the quest within it, thus completing it once you are at max level grants you more CP experience. You can also couple completing those dungeons with Silver and Gold Key quests, gaining better loot and even more Exp.
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MopeyHat wrote: »
    I keep seeing people say they've never done a dungeon, or only done one or two.

What keeps you out of dungeons? Is it the dungeon finder being glitchy? Players turn you off? Does PvP or roleplaying keep you busy?

As for public dungeons and Solo dungeons, well... If you stop to enjoy the voice acting at every time you are not likely to get credit for kills. Thus you might as well go through those contents when you can pretty much one hit every enemy, you will always get credit for the kills and you will be able to enjoy the content despite the lack of phasing.
  • Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    menedhyn wrote: »
    I have completed a couple of low level dungeons once or twice, but that's all. I have barely scratched the surface.

There are a couple of reasons why I haven't completed more of them to date. Firstly, I tend to create deliberately unorthodox builds. The powerful mage or the battle-hardened warrior just don't grab my interest and so I create weaker characters who focus on a handful of skills and a hotchpotch of abilities that reflect how I want to play them. This means i'm less likely to be of use in group situations at higher levels. I'm fine with that - playing how I want is more important, and if that means solo or, on occasion, with another like-minded individual, so be it.

Secondly, I think that dungeons can sometimes be rewarding experiences if tackled slowly, steadily and almost timorously. Finding that cave or ruin for the first time and not knowing what to expect, not knowing what fabulous riches or unique items you may find or how difficult it will be is so appealing to me. From what I have seen so far, the dungeons are incredible environments, wonderfully designed, often beautiful, and sometimes cold and foreboding. With so much to take in I can't help but stop and stare. Playing solo, and being able to survive solo so I can experience that, means dungeons are less likely to be visited at lower levels. That might not be what the game designers had in mind, or what the MMO experience is all about, but I can't help myself!

This is me as well. I refuse to fit into a ROLE, so often I perform to a level that is considered substandard to the typical dungeon grinding group.

I create characters, not toons - that fact alone frustrates most groups.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I stink at PvE and don't wish to be poked in the chest and reminded of it every level .