Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why haven't you done a dungeon yet?

MopeyHat
MopeyHat
✭✭✭✭
I keep seeing people say they've never done a dungeon, or only done one or two.

What keeps you out of dungeons? Is it the dungeon finder being glitchy? Players turn you off? Does PvP or roleplaying keep you busy?
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking on behalf of guildmates of a social guild whom I am certain do not visit the forums, one in particular that I talked about this with at length -- He is afraid of not being powerful enough, thinking he needs some optimized build lest he be kicked from the group or hold his group back at length. I got him to do vWayrest once and we had a blast, but it basically took the perfect storm of having three guildmates he likes offer to come while he was in a receptive mood.

In the case of another mate from the same guild, purely antisocial when it comes to gameplay. Entrenched in the thought that their build (I think it was something like heavy armor, destruction staff on a khajiit sorcerer. Never got to the point of talking about spells or what they do) was not bad but 'unique' and would not interact with people any longer after being 'judged' (or, when they described it to me, had recommendations made at them) for it. Insisted on some lines about being able to do whatever they want because they play well, things can take as long as they have to etc. etc. They did not play that well, slow reaction to interruptible attacks and AoEs, leaving the group and blaming it on the others afterwards.

But I love dungeons, and find them more fun when I can get someone inexperienced to play with.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • thawks
    thawks
    ✭✭✭
    I've completed all dungeons many times, but I hesitate to attempt trials because 1) I haven't been able to find group willing to show me the ropes, and 2) I have consistently horrible lag.
  • jiubnerevar
    jiubnerevar
    Soul Shriven
    Being on PS4 a broken group finder ruins dungeons and trials for me, I haven't found a group of players that run them regularly to join. Very confusing as to how I find people to run these with. I haven't done a single one.
  • jiubnerevar
    jiubnerevar
    Soul Shriven
    And I would love to, to try and get the monster helms / shoulders
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well for me I've still been in the "find your character" mode(still new and not much playtime so haven't broke lvl 30 yet) I'll probably try them later but enjoying the game atm. Having played EQ from launch plus 8 years I know to take the forums with a grain of salt but I can easily see someone never trying them just reading some posts going back. Granted EQ had it's elistists but rarely the amount of venom that's portrayed on these forums. I will also admit a whole generation has gone since EQ so there are changes and perhaps console has something to do with it(not meant to be disrespectful. I play on Xbox myself. My computer was stolen and old one is out of date. Not up to another one time wise or cash wise) it's good when I read about someone willing to take the time to teach new players(as long as the new players are willing to learn) some may just keep hearing new players suxors, newbs ruin everything, l2p dumb *** and don't see that there ARE people that help. (which I will be a part of once I learn everything I can)
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some guildies/friends I have spoken to have basically made a choice based on a stigma.
    dungeon finder groups suck, you will fail most dungeons formed this way.
    I will be insulted for not being the fotm.
    If I screw up once I will cause my group to fail and instantly get kicked.
    Only min/maxers can do dungeons.

Of course all of those reasons are not reality at all times.
    I have done hundreds of random dungeons and only once have I encountered a person so toxic and horrible that they ruined my enjoyment for that day, a dps who didnt block 1 shots stood in red, then told me I should kill myself because I am a failure in life because he died.
    Now that situation is rare but if those ideas spread they create a stigma preventing many people from doing what they otherwise would enjoy.
    If a person does a dungeon and is unlucky enough to encounter a negative ideology within the first few they will simply avoid that aspect of the game.
    I mean who likes to feel like crap while playing a VIDEO GAME.
    just my 2c.
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lumenn wrote: »
    Well for me I've still been in the "find your character" mode(still new and not much playtime so haven't broke lvl 30 yet) I'll probably try them later but enjoying the game atm. Having played EQ from launch plus 8 years I know to take the forums with a grain of salt but I can easily see someone never trying them just reading some posts going back. Granted EQ had it's elistists but rarely the amount of venom that's portrayed on these forums. I will also admit a whole generation has gone since EQ so there are changes and perhaps console has something to do with it(not meant to be disrespectful. I play on Xbox myself. My computer was stolen and old one is out of date. Not up to another one time wise or cash wise) it's good when I read about someone willing to take the time to teach new players(as long as the new players are willing to learn) some may just keep hearing new players suxors, newbs ruin everything, l2p dumb *** and don't see that there ARE people that help. (which I will be a part of once I learn everything I can)

I personally love running dungeons, especially with new players. It's a lot of fun teaching people how to kill it in Imperial City Prison with a bunch of level 15s. Maybe it's because I tend to tank with PUGs, but I very rarely have the issues I hear people complain about with the Group Finder.

Unfortunately I play PC/NA. It seems like it's much harder on console than PC...it's very easy to find a group willing to do a random dungeon or two in Grahtwood zone. It does seem like the console guild forums are decently active, though. Joining a guild is by far and away the best way to find people to run content with consistently.
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried the group finder many times, and it's just keeps searching for hours without ever finding a group.

I have never come across such a bad system in a MMO, just for reference when searching do a group in NW it takes a minute at most.

How can it be so hard to get right?

At least console will have text chat in a few weeks, please don't screw that up.
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • Wolfkeks
    Wolfkeks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love doing dungeons, but, sadly, I'm not doing veteran dungeons... or I just do it sometimes...
    The group finder is messed up so I can't find a group and I got kicked one time for not being CP 501 :sweat_smile:
    "Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?" - Fadomai
    EU PC 2000+ CP professional mudballer and pie thrower
    Former Emperor, Grand Overlord, vAA hm, vHelRa hm, vSO hm, vMoL hm, vHoF hm, vAS+2, vCR+3, vSS hm, vKA, vRG, Flawless Conquerer, Spirit Slayer
  • Thessalia
    Thessalia
    ✭✭
    Well I never tried it with a group because I feel like I'm not good enough. I'm new to this game and I have only played eso for a month. I just recently found a character that I really like to play (on lvl 17) so I'm kinda waiting to try the dungeons and I will try when I learn everything that I need to know.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason that I was a bit frustrated about, and it seems to be commonplace amongst others as well, (after random queuing) that players, probably the first timers or lower level, keep dropping out/leaving the dungeon when things seem to get hard with a boss. I'm talking about normal dungeons, which overall is not that hard, except Imperial City Prison, which can be tricky because it's a bit longer and has more mechanics that the others. White Gold Tower is not that bad either. I exactly like that, but it can also be tricky if it's your first time. The rest are fairly straight shot, hacking and slashing to the end. So, whatever reasons cause them to drop out, it puts a big damper on the rest. If you can't a find replacement, then you have no choice to disband.

The better way is to join a guild that does dungeons regularly, which I did. I was turned off for a bit, before joining a guild, and when random queuing was the only option prior. I can't knock random queuing completely, because you can get in with a good group that knows what to do, and that makes the dungeon a breeze. It's just those times when you queue into a group which people starts dropping out and leaving. I only did a couple vet dungeons so far, and that could be hard, if you also have people that don't know what they are doing.

• Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MopeyHat wrote: »
    Lumenn wrote: »

I personally love running dungeons, especially with new players. It's a lot of fun teaching people how to kill it in Imperial City Prison with a bunch of level 15s. Maybe it's because I tend to tank with PUGs, but I very rarely have the issues I hear people complain about with the Group Finder.

Unfortunately I play PC/NA. It seems like it's much harder on console than PC...it's very easy to find a group willing to do a random dungeon or two in Grahtwood zone. It does seem like the console guild forums are decently active, though. Joining a guild is by far and away the best way to find people to run content with consistently.

And that's what I was talking about with some players. They see/read/hear the bad but don't try to find folk like yourself who enjoy or at least are willing to teach. Lord knows when I DO get into one/have time I'm gonna craft a helmet that says "Dungeon Newb" in neon and learn all I can. Some just shy away or simply avoid negativity.
  • Vipstaakki
    Vipstaakki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because i like to build my character MY way not do any pre-determined cheese builds.
    I have a group occasionally that just wants to have fun in dungeons and does give a hook about achievements.
  • mike_de
    mike_de
    ✭✭✭
    please delete.
    Edited by mike_de on July 30, 2016 1:43PM
  • mike_de
    mike_de
    ✭✭✭
    I am playing solo.

But I will go into dungeons. ... After I compete the quests,

And I really hate the people, who want to do it the old fashioned way with 1 "tank", 2 "DD" and 1 "healer", not willing to alter their behaviour in the game, adapting to the party they are in.

So why bother with PUGs? Not worth my time.

Or maybe I tag along in the guild I joined. If I play a char of that alliance. I'll see.
    Edited by mike_de on July 30, 2016 1:42PM
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    mike_de wrote: »
    I am playing solo.

Why bother with PUGs? Not worth my time.

Or maybe I tag along in the guild I joined. If I play a char of that alliance. I'll see.

You don't have to be the same alliance to get in an instance with other players, though. Sometimes the group mechanics will be tricky, but as long as you are making a fresh group, you can get four players together of any alliance and either use the queue or port straight to the dungeon.
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vipstaakki wrote: »
    Because i like to build my character MY way not do any pre-determined cheese builds.
    I have a group occasionally that just wants to have fun in dungeons and does give a hook about achievements.

I'm pretty torn when it comes to builds.

I love the idea of playing the way you want, making something totally different from the rest. Surprising someone in PvP with something they weren't expecting is one of my favorites.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of particular builds that vastly outperform the rest in terms of DPS. And it's these builds that get used by endgame players, and in turn it's these builds that future content gets built upon. It's my hope that dungeon designers continue to move towards fun mechanics rather than stack and burn DPS races.
  • mike_de
    mike_de
    ✭✭✭
    mike_de wrote: »
    I am playing solo.

Why bother with PUGs? Not worth my time.

You don't have to be the same alliance to get in an instance with other players, though. Sometimes the group mechanics will be tricky, but as long as you are making a fresh group, you can get four players together of any alliance and either use the queue or port straight to the dungeon.

Ok, thanks, I didn't know that.

But there is no way in hell I go into unknown dungeons with a PUG. Most of the random players don't understand, that I will read every text and note playing the dungeon for the first time. Too many bad experiences in other games: "Generic player too dumb error" most of the time. And I really hate dumb people.

• KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vipstaakki wrote: »

I'm pretty torn when it comes to builds.

I love the idea of playing the way you want, making something totally different from the rest. Surprising someone in PvP with something they weren't expecting is one of my favorites.

On the other hand, there are a bunch of particular builds that vastly outperform the rest in terms of DPS. And it's these builds that get used by endgame players, and in turn it's these builds that future content gets built upon. It's my hope that dungeon designers continue to move towards fun mechanics rather than stack and burn DPS races.

The dungeons coming up with the new dlc pack are very much like this iirc. Much more focused on players working as a team to overcome mechanics than stacking and dpsing, even to the degree of countering the stack and burn tactics. Can't wait to learn them :smiley:
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Shadesofkin
    Shadesofkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are the following reasons that I was told in a guild chat one night:

1. PvP player, refuse to do PvE to make myself better, they seem boring.
    2. Fear of being bad
    3. Never invited
    4. RP-er will get there eventually

Personally, I practically live in dungeons and trials.
    Edited by Shadesofkin on July 30, 2016 2:19PM
    @shadesofkin -NA Server.
    Tier 2 Player.
    MagDK Main forever (even in the bad times)
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't done many trials because they take big groups. The guild I'm in uses TS, so mechanics are no issue.

On my alts, I generally don't do dungeons on them because they are all DPSers, so I can find a group really easily as a healer.

As for vMA, I've started on it again, but it certainly is frustrating, which keeps me away at times.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • Wolfenbelle
    Wolfenbelle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in the game since pre-launch 2 years ago. Have done plenty of delves, some trials, DSA, Imperial Sewers, and a few dungeons. I avoid the Undaunted pledge dungeons because my experience with other players has not been good. To me the game is supposed to be about having fun. It most definitely is NOT fun when someone screeches, scolds, insults and whines about how I or other people are playing. I've encountered far too much of that, so these days I mostly play solo or participate with my guild in trials.

I would like to get my Undaunted level up to at least 7, but don't know if that will ever happen because I just hate doing group dungeons.
  • svartorn
    svartorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a healer with all yellow gear and well over CP cap, I like to play dungeon finder roulette. FInd the worst team possible and try to carry them with heals and dps.
  • Sylveria_Relden
    Sylveria_Relden
    ✭✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »
    As a healer with all yellow gear and well over CP cap, I like to play dungeon finder roulette. FInd the worst team possible and try to carry them with heals and dps.

A very "rare" breed, indeed.

As a former "healer" archtype player, I seriously applaud your efforts.

In this day and age of "min/max" and "efficiency", you won't really see much of this at all.
    TL;DR - If you got this far without reading the entire post you're either too lazy or suck at reading comprehension and probably don't belong in a public forum anyway. Just move along, you wouldn't understand.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in the game since pre-launch 2 years ago. Have done plenty of delves, some trials, DSA, Imperial Sewers, and a few dungeons. I avoid the Undaunted pledge dungeons because my experience with other players has not been good. To me the game is supposed to be about having fun. It most definitely is NOT fun when someone screeches, scolds, insults and whines about how I or other people are playing. I've encountered far too much of that, so these days I mostly play solo or participate with my guild in trials.

I would like to get my Undaunted level up to at least 7, but don't know if that will ever happen because I just hate doing group dungeons.

I was in the same boat before, until I joined a guild that runs daily dungeons, and it's depends how the guild is managed and the types of players in there. So far, this guild I'm with is pretty cool. They (or we) stress teamwork, helping other players and not bashing others no matter what levels they are. I have completed all normal dungeons with them and a few trials and all have been fun. We haven't really got into vet dungeons yet, though, which I need to do to level up the undaunted. However, I would rather just go with the flow and wait until some members are ready to do vet dungeons, rather than reverting back to random queuing for a group.
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    svartorn wrote: »

A very "rare" breed, indeed.

As a former "healer" archtype player, I seriously applaud your efforts.

In this day and age of "min/max" and "efficiency", you won't really see much of this at all.

There's no fun to healing a hardcore group in standard 4man dungeons. Spend most of the time dpsing or trying to find ways to throw out more buffs to keep myself awake through the 10 minute (if even) ride!
  • Agobi
    Agobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW cured me of pugging forever...and not in a guild here,so my plan was to go back and solo once I got high enough...

Then Zos in their "wisdom" decided to take that option away from me with their forced scaling :/

So never actually seen the inside of any of the dungeons in this fine game :(
  • Parablodia
    Parablodia
    ✭✭
    Once i was playing with my friend in group dungeon. He kept dying because of not blocking and not avoiding reds. Then he stopped atacking because 'i was not healing'.
    I kicked him from the group. #NoRegrets
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go into dungeons which I can do on my own - in the early morning, when europeans are not up yet and americans are already in bed - so that I can experience a dungeon and not see just corpses in it. Otherwise I avoid all, where I have to group up, because I like to do things slow paced and this squirrel-like dungeoning (rushing it) is just stressing me out and is no fun to me. I play ESO to relax and enjoy the setting, I am not here to have stress (including drama) and rush things.
    Edited by Lysette on July 30, 2016 2:58PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agobi wrote: »
    WoW cured me of pugging forever...and not in a guild here,so my plan was to go back and solo once I got high enough...

Then Zos in their "wisdom" decided to take that option away from me with their forced scaling :/

So never actually seen the inside of any of the dungeons in this fine game :(

Public dungeons are not stressful - just avoid it to do them when everyone else is doing them as well - they are not instanced.