The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Died in water nobody nearby to kill me no option to revive

TheWyzard
TheWyzard
Soul Shriven
Okay so I just died in-game without any enemies nearby when I jumped in the water and it only gives me the option to use a wayshrine, is it supposed to do this? Thanks for reading :)
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a slaughterfish death. That happens when you're going off the map usually. Were there lots of splashing noises before you died?
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Mickey_Ox
    Mickey_Ox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Judging by your comment in another thread about achievements then yes it was slaughterfish that got you. Pressing right on the d-pad brings up the death recap which tells you what/who killed you. Its also the reason there was no respawn option as the slaughterfish would simply kill you again & again etc
    Ever Tried, Ever Failed,
    No Matter.
    Try again, Fail again,
    Fail Better
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you reached the end of the world, which would explain why you can't revive.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only get an option to Wayshrine if you are in a spot where your character will never survive a revival.

Death by Slaughterfish is one of the deaths like this.
    Falling off platforms into "the void" (like in the Vaults of Madness dungeon) is another.

In both cases, the place your body exists is not a playable area, so it's not feasible for your character to revive there.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rip
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread sound fishy to me...slaughterfishy!
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • TheWyzard
    TheWyzard
    Soul Shriven
    Okay thanks everyone; sorry wasn't home at all yesterday aha :P but yeah I wasn't off the map I was in Cyrodill (I hope I spelt it right lol) but I was headed toward a quest and I didn't hear any splashing but could be because I was using headphones :)
    Edited by TheWyzard on July 30, 2016 3:58PM
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kind of strange sometimes about slaughterfish. I have been killed swimming around the coast someplace but staying very close to the rocks and yet have occasionally been so far away from a convenient wayshrine that I have tried swimming out to sea and been really far from shore before being attacked. One thing to notice though is that you can see the bottom when you look down and that means you are not in deep water. When you can't see bottom you are likely to get in trouble. I suppose when it has taken me a long way out to get attacked I must have been in the Gulf of Mexico where you can barely see the beach and still be walking.
    Edited by Moonscythe on August 2, 2016 7:39PM
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Moonscythe wrote: »
    It's kind of strange sometimes about slaughterfish. I have been killed swimming around the coast someplace but staying very close to the rocks and yet have occasionally been so far away from a convenient wayshrine that I have tried swimming out to sea and been really far from shore before being attacked.
    Slaughterfish are more of an invisible wall. 2 of the starter islands have end quest events that require you to go through a dungeon to reach. If you try to swim around, the slaughterfish are waiting for you.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheWyzard wrote: »
    Okay thanks everyone; sorry wasn't home at all yesterday aha :P but yeah I wasn't off the map I was in Cyrodill (I hope I spelt it right lol) but I was headed toward a quest and I didn't hear any splashing but could be because I was using headphones :)

Slaughterfish are more common in Cyrodiil waters than in normal zones. In normal zones, slaughterfish are something of an invisible wall around the very edges of zone. In Cyrodiil, they are in lots of lakes and rivers and other bodies of water throughout the zone. Due to the PvP nature of Cyrodiil, I think they do this to force players to take more predictable paths between locations so that opposing players run into each other more and fights ensue.