The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Custom Avatars possible or are hackers among us?

UltimaJoe777
UltimaJoe777
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I just saw a user on this forum with an avatar not listed in the selection we choose from. Did he hack his picture into his account or was he allowed a custom avatar? If he was, when do the rest of us get to use one?
Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Jimmy
    Jimmy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happened yesterday during maintenance. It was not intended.
    PC NA
    @SkruDe
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted this avatar but they would remove it :(

Zw8sKQJ.jpg
    Options
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find forums where everyone can have a unique avatar much easier to follow. I wish they'd allow it.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
    Options
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand ZOS' reasoning behind not wanting custom avatars, because there are always those people who put up inappropriate images and the like, so it gets hard to monitor everyone's pictures.

But yesterday, during forum hiccup, you could set a custom avatar for a few minutes, but if you did, the forum mods reset your picture to the default one. They did say that if you did not get your avatar changed, it's because its not a big priority and there are no consequences unless it is inappropriate, and they'll change the custom avatar.

So, because of that, I got a free badge yesterday for changing my avatar.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
    Options
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I understand ZOS' reasoning behind not wanting custom avatars, because there are always those people who put up inappropriate images and the like, so it gets hard to monitor everyone's pictures.

But yesterday, during forum hiccup, you could set a custom avatar for a few minutes, but if you did, the forum mods reset your picture to the default one. They did say that if you did not get your avatar changed, it's because its not a big priority and there are no consequences unless it is inappropriate, and they'll change the custom avatar.

Well I think unless they start allowing it freely among forum users that everyone should get changed back from having a custom whether it's inappropriate or not as it is unfair to let people have a custom avatar when no one else can.
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a most needed forums ability . The forums are at risk every day for inappropriate images yet the vast majority of Us respect the rules and try to avoid posting harmful materials .
    Options
  • rhapsodious
    rhapsodious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as the sick meme stays on my profile I don't mind sticking with my clannfear.
    Options
  • craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh please allow custom avatars, many of us recognize eachother by it, and many forums have it. if it is inappropiate just report it and done.
    Options
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I find forums where everyone can have a unique avatar much easier to follow. I wish they'd allow it.

This...

Really wish they would add custom ones here. We obviously have enough forum mods, who would be able to remove any bad ones if they popped up. It's not like an ingame thing where there are no GMs that actively watch. Also with needing the invite code to make an account not sure many would intentionally do things forum bannable.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
    Options
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runs wrote: »
    Really wish they would add custom ones here. We obviously have enough forum mods, who would be able to remove any bad ones if they popped up.

& that's exactly what happened in the "long ago" time!
    A slew of inappropriate pictures, lots of cuss words & closeups of certain body parts.
    They ruined it for the rest of us & we got reduced to a list to choose from.
    >:)
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
    Options
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I think unless they start allowing it freely among forum users that everyone should get changed back from having a custom whether it's inappropriate or not as it is unfair to let people have a custom avatar when no one else can.

I wasn't clear with what I said.

Basically, if they see that someone has custom avatar, they're going to change it to default one. But they aren't necessarily going to witchhunt everyone who did it in a massive forum search, because, quite honestly, that is a lot of work.

I figure it is if the mods see you have a custom avatar, they'll change it back to default avatar with no repercussions (unless it is inappropriate), because it was simply a bug,

I dug up the official response.
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlanG Will we get in trouble for custom avatars? :worried: Is changing your avatar considered an Exploit? ;) I switched mine back to default.

We just set people back to the default, people won't get into trouble. It's certainly easier for us if people change it themselves.

People won't get into trouble unless the image was inappropriate. And we aren't going to put a lot of effort into sussing out these in the action page of their profile, but we'll likely remove those as we encounter them.

Hope that helps to clear it up.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
    Options
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't clear with what I said.

Basically, if they see that someone has custom avatar, they're going to change it to default one. But they aren't necessarily going to witchhunt everyone who did it in a massive forum search, because, quite honestly, that is a lot of work.

I figure it is if the mods see you have a custom avatar, they'll change it back to default avatar with no repercussions (unless it is inappropriate), because it was simply a bug,

I dug up the official response.
    ZOS_AlanG wrote: »
    @ZOS_AlanG Will we get in trouble for custom avatars? :worried: Is changing your avatar considered an Exploit? ;) I switched mine back to default.

We just set people back to the default, people won't get into trouble. It's certainly easier for us if people change it themselves.

People won't get into trouble unless the image was inappropriate. And we aren't going to put a lot of effort into sussing out these in the action page of their profile, but we'll likely remove those as we encounter them.

Hope that helps to clear it up.

Well of course they won't hunt down everyone that did lol all they have to do is see people posting with a custom avatar and then set them to default. Of course, if they follow the feedback from this thread they may not have to...
    Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And yet the forum allows unlimited images in posts even though they must be just as difficult to control as avatars.
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mommy Dougy did a no no. sheesh!
    Options
  • Fingolfinn01
    Fingolfinn01
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every other mmo game allows custom avatars. If they were worried about inappropriate images, then why are can we upload pics?

Plz zos reconsider its much easier to remember posters with there own personal pic.
    PC-NA
    Options
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭

Lol because it's unfair. Well life isn't fair. Just worry about yourself and move on. It's just an avatar a a forum, do you really care that much? If so you should take a step back and reevaluate your life.
    Options
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    l3vR2C0FSDudaWere.gif
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    And yet the forum allows unlimited images in posts even though they must be just as difficult to control as avatars.

This I can post any image in this tread but is stuck with the default avatar.
    catgrind7_animation_by_olsen1a-d9tki34.gif
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a most needed forums ability . The forums are at risk every day for inappropriate images yet the vast majority of Us respect the rules and try to avoid posting harmful materials .

@Rohamad_Ali I'm not going to lie... If custom avatars would be allowed, I'd have an avatar of my Breton MagPlar's rear. Then proceed with trying to change my forum name to: "MrLuvTheCakes". :trollface:
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every other mmo game allows custom avatars. If they were worried about inappropriate images, then why are can we upload pics?

Plz zos reconsider its much easier to remember posters with there own personal pic.

My other MMO doesn't allow avatars at all. Apparently they hired an outside company to make their forum, they did a half-assed job and when it got to the end of the contract period they just left it in whatever state it was in. That was years ago and it's never been fixed.

So annoying as a lack of custom avatars are it could be worse.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • onemoredragon
    onemoredragon
    ✭✭✭
    I actually enjoy default avatars - they all have the same aesthetics and art style. Forum would look less pleasant for me personally if everyone would be able to set their own weird pictures ;)
    Don't really care about recognizing people by their avatars, a unique name is enough.
    PC EU @OneMoreDragon

Rakshasi Raijina, khajiit sorceror, adventurer and crafter
    Keel-Neesha, argonian dragonknight tank
    Asharlys, orc templar tank
    Wanheda Praimfaya, nord necromancer tank
    Alessia Whitegold, redguard templar 2h/bow DD
    Mitsuro Naztharune, khajiit dragonknight dw/bow DD
    Viannereth, bosmer warden bow/bow DD
    Moraelyn of Ra'athim, dunmer necromancer magicka DD

So long as the dragonfires shall burn, to you, and to all generations, I swear that my Hearts blood shall hold fast the Gates of Oblivion.
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WoW uses a headshot of your currently selected character.

So no, not "every other" MMO.
    Options
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »

My other MMO doesn't allow avatars at all. Apparently they hired an outside company to make their forum, they did a half-assed job and when it got to the end of the contract period they just left it in whatever state it was in. That was years ago and it's never been fixed.

So annoying as a lack of custom avatars are it could be worse.

Which game? Sounds like something Daybreak would do.
    Options