Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Being a master crafter, the drawbacks?

King_Khaos
Considering being a master crafter on my imperial templar, does it have any negative effects other than lack of skill points?
  • PurifedBladez
    PurifedBladez
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well you can rely solely on yourself.. so that's cool.
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I know of. Skill point consumption would be the only negative I can think of. I wish they had some kind of special achievement reward for being master with all 9 traits on everything.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No drawbacks.
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negative effects, none once you have arrived.

Heck if you have researched everything you can actually get nine skill points back.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People in your guild ask you to craft for them, forget to tell you what traits they want then log out of game and wonder why when they get back in game the armor isn't done.

Other than that everything is good.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kildayen wrote: »
    Not that I know of. Skill point consumption would be the only negative I can think of. I wish they had some kind of special achievement reward for being master with all 9 traits on everything.

Like unblocking jewelry crafting for existing craft able item sets.

Yeah that would be swell.
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    King_Khaos wrote: »
    Considering being a master crafter on my imperial templar, does it have any negative effects other than lack of skill points?

No negative effects if you don't tell anyone - otherwise you'll have every man & his guar asking for armour :D
    "I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena

• Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You will be fine... Your race is the right one for it, since it means you don't have to find or buy the imperial motif. :)

Personally, I like my magicka based Nightblade crafter. It makes it real easy to get to some of the set crafting stations other classes would have to fight a few mobs to get to.

Don't let people scare you about crafting for friends/guild members. There are lots of craft horror stories that can and probably will come true if you let them, but as long as you don't let people walk all over you everything will be fine.
    Edited by Runs on July 23, 2016 4:03AM
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • Brittany_Joy
    Brittany_Joy
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just as everyone said you will be self sufficient, no need to rely on anyone if you have enough dedication to be the best crafter evur.

I have 3 crafting professions and I do get tight on skill points, I am a werewolf too, but as long as you know what build you want it should be fine.
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »
    Kildayen wrote: »

Like unblocking jewelry crafting for existing craft able item sets.

Yeah that would be swell.

Oh that is the best thing ever. That would be awesome.
  • King_Khaos
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
  • Rayya_Blackheart
    Rayya_Blackheart
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't found any drawbacks. Aside from the crafting horror stories which are moderately amusing, depending on your outlook. There's also the skill point thing but as you level up then run around and get skyshards I've hardly noticed a difference. In fact, my crafter is sitting on 36 spare skill points right now.
    PC NA Rayya Blackheart pitiful DPS NB CP160
    PC NA Phaedra Phoenix beast mode Templar Healer CP160
    PC NA lvl6 Mudcrab
  • King_Khaos
    I haven't found any drawbacks. Aside from the crafting horror stories which are moderately amusing, depending on your outlook. There's also the skill point thing but as you level up then run around and get skyshards I've hardly noticed a difference. In fact, my crafter is sitting on 36 spare skill points right now.

Yeah, I've been going through Caldwell silver and gold areas just for the skill points from quests and the skyshards.
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep how many traits you have a secret from your friends, or they'll ask you every minute of the day to make them stuff (with your mats of course).
  • Rayya_Blackheart
    Rayya_Blackheart
    ✭✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »
    Just keep how many traits you have a secret from your friends, or they'll ask you every minute of the day to make them stuff (with your mats of course).

Yeah, that's one of the horror stories. Though, we have a guildie that everyone knows is 9-trait and there's a lot of requests for TBS. Just stand firm on acquiring mats and that your time is your time, you will craft it when -you- feel like it. There's another guy I know who is a master at making gold in game, he charges for everything he crafts.
    PC NA Rayya Blackheart pitiful DPS NB CP160
    PC NA Phaedra Phoenix beast mode Templar Healer CP160
    PC NA lvl6 Mudcrab
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will spend all your gold on motifs.

(Gods help me)
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • vyndral13preub18_ESO
    vyndral13preub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well unless you Like to do writs and happen to be playing on an Xbox.
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only issues I had is from my own fault by telling everyone that I can make literally anything.

Don't do that! lol
    Edited by Eshelmen on July 23, 2016 5:07AM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just stand firm on acquiring mats and that your time is your time, you will craft it when -you- feel like it.

This.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pandorii wrote: »

Always take mats and cash upfront. Never any of this...but I don't know you I'll pay you after you could be dirty and rip me off lies. Never do it for free either esp on 9 trait sets. If people didnt want to do any research and you spent months and months doing so then it shouldn't be free for freeloaders. I had someone the other day asking for a set of armor master...told him yep 10k for 5pc which is cheap I'm not doing for free...mouth full of abuse apparantly I should be helping people out who have been here since and I kid you not he said day 1. Crafting is hassle at times. Keep it guild and close team mates only for free.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • RadRzRg
    RadRzRg
    ✭✭✭
    Being a master crafter has 2 drawbacks :
    • as mentioned above it consumes a lot of skill points
    • In order to become one,you'll have to spend ALOT of gold on motifs and traits( nirnhoned mostly), and it's something you won't make up for easily as people tend to ask friends to craft them gear for free as long as mats are provided. How would I know? Because 2 years now I do not recall paying anyone for gear or getting paid by friends.
    LvL50 Stamina Templar(EP)
    LvL50 Stamina Sorcerer(EP)
    LvL50 Magicka Templar(EP)
    LvL 50 Magicka Dragonknight(EP)
    LvL 50 Stamina Nightblade(AD)
    LvL 50 Magicka Nightblade(EP)
    LvL 50 Magicka Sorcerer(EP)
    LvL 50 Magicka Dragonknight(EP)
    Moved to Vivec
    Proud member of Alith
    Proud member of Streaking Sorcerers
    Proud member of Astrum Tomatoes
    Zergs should be zerged down by 1 man armies
  • josefcifkaeb17_ESO
    josefcifkaeb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I currently have 7-8 traits everywhere, moving to 9 traits soon and I don't see any drawbacks.
    I enjoy creating my own visual sets by mixing parts from different styles together, so it's just a big perk for me :)
    I'm also a hoarder, I haven't sold a single piece of material since the launch of the game (worshiping the crafting bag) so I'm, always glad to provide for my guildmates :)
    (つ -‘ _ ‘- )つ ▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    nikolaj.lemcheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over time all negative effects disappear as you gain more and more skill points. I am currently at 327 skill point total on my crafter so I have all unlocked and still have points for a diverse build.
  • Keep_Door
    Keep_Door
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just dont go telling eveyone you see that your a master crafter and youll be fine
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    its great to make all your own gear/food/pots.... but, as others here have said, just don't tell anyone.
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    • So... many... skill points....
    • People always bugging you to create something
    • Skill points...
    • and skill points...
  • Egocanemveresum
    Egocanemveresum
    ✭✭✭
    I split crafting up between characters which make it easier. The biggest draw I find is the cost of motifs when they first come out and people not telling the trait or style they want made. I have gotten to the point where all I want in pages are chest, sword, shield and staff when they new ones come out. I spent to much gold getting all the pages to complete the motif that I will not do that anymore. I get people that are upset that I don't know the whole motif for a certain style, but I craft 1st for myself and then help guild mates out, I do not take orders from people in zone anymore, been burned to many times. My view if I don't know a certain page, that I don't care for and a person wants in that style they can either find someone else that can make it or buy me the page to make it for them.
  • Psyonico
    Psyonico
    ✭✭✭
    If you aren't already a high level, maxing out crafting can be a little bit of a pain because of the skill points thing. Once you're higher in level, you've got more points than you can shake a stick at, so there really is no reason not to level them up.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    On top of everything already said, if you haven't started already you probably have 1 to 2 years of learning in front of you. Just understand it's a lonnnnnng endeavor. I think Xbox is 14 months old, and I've been reasonably diligent about it but I've still only finished researching woodworking, and heavy armor. Light and weapons will be done within 2 months, and medium who knows. You also need to buy a ton of motifs. Then for food you gotta buy the recipes, and for all of them you need mats.

One does not simply become a master crafter.
  • KramUzibra
    KramUzibra
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love it! Especially on xbox 1. I know absolutely every craft and all traits! It's incredibly convenient to be able to craft anything i want and I have many of opportunity to make a lot of gold.