Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Dragonknight: Empowering Chains versus Unrelenting Grip after changes since 2.3.0

Geralt_of_Aalst
I'm back after 8 months of absence from ESO. Lots of nice changes happened in the meantime. But some I find questionable. For my DK, I was disappointed that Empowering Chains no longer pulls one mob away from its group and delivers it to your toes for an easy kill before his friends can even reach you. So I started googling and found this thread here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/245197/dk-changes-rant-thanks/p1. It's a pretty old thread by now and it got a tad off topic, so I think I better start a new thread.

But ok. When I read...
Empowering chains is a NO!!! Do not make it so you pull yourself to the enemy make it the other way around, you should always pull the enemy to you and if can't be pulled then it should give you the resources back.

.. I thought: "Right on man, my thoughts exactly". But then I read other people's posts explaining why they made this change and why a lot of people are happy with it, for example:
Kasyee wrote:
I actually like the change and prefer it that way. Lots of DK abilities are tanky with some good mass dmg abilities. I actually prefer to be in the middle of enemies to root them and burn them before they can target my teammates. Thats an easy way to get all agro.
Pretty often before I get in the middle of them I already have lost around 30% of my hp just running to the good spot to cathc them all in my mass abilities. It's better for tanky builds.
Chains pulling you is a gap closer. Dk's needed one.
NBrookus wrote:
Empowering Chains = DK class gap closer we've been asking for. One morph pulls, one morph always closes. Sounds good to me.

So now I completely understand why they changed it and why (most) people are happy with the change. But one thing still doesn't make sense to me. If the new and improved Empowering Chains are a gap closer for one-on-one fights and for tanky builds, then isn't it highly illogical for Empowering Chains to have the 20% damage bonus? I mean, the other morph, Unrelenting Grip, still pulls mobs to you, so in a way it's the better choice for DD who doesn't want to get in the middle of a group of mobs, let alone a group of other players in PvP, but rather wants to single one mob/PC out. But Unrelenting Grip does not have any damage bonus, so DD is pretty much forced to take Empowering Chains morph anyway. So who would even choose Unrelenting Grip anymore?

In short, I understand the benefits of the change to EC from 'pulling' to 'being pulled' for some builds, and I'm not saying they should change that back, but I am saying that adding the +20% damage bonus to EC instead of UG is illogical and should be reversed. Or what am I missing still? I play a stamina DD DK, by the way.
I may contradict myself but at least I don't contradict myself
  • ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sword and Board has a gap closer and so does 2 handed.

I just Shield assault, caltrops and talons. All grouped up, aoe and taunt away.

I have used chains in PvP and PvE, I just always like to rush in and gather instead of pulling. However in solo questing, pulling a target is always nice as well.

Just my two copper round monies..
    Edited by ThePaleItalian on July 22, 2016 9:54PM
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well to be honest both morphs are useless in pvp, chains doesn't work half the time , the dmg is weak and there is no room for dk's to slot it.

The one where you pull a mob to you is more of a pve thing, tank pulls mobs like archers or long range mobs next to him while everyone else aoe nukes it.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thinks the changes are good.
    DKs lacked a gap closer, they got one.
    And I as a tank gladly welcomed the changes to Unrelenting grip that prevents you from gap closing.
    Remember it used to be if a target can't be pulled to you, you get pulled instead. This was a nuisance while tanking.

As for Empower, I think the gap closer is the correct morph to have it.
    The pull morph is reserve for utility/tank DKs, not DDs.
    As a DD, it is not your job to pull mobs to yourself, that is the tank's job. You have plenty of other options to activate Empower with (any Mages guild skill).
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest, it needs a CC like invasion for it to be useful to magicka DKs in pvp. As of right now, there are too many skills that DKs need, they can't consolidate their skill bars as well as other classes, and thus everyone runs a CC instead of a gap closer.

rip decibel