Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When you can start to heal in dungeons?

Thunderon
Thunderon
Soul Shriven
Hi lvl 23 Templar here,
Recently I played healer in dungeon and sucked. Is even low level healing a thing or not? What skills and amout of magicka and magicka recovery are the minimum to be able to heal effectivly in dungeons?
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    level 10+ can handle healing dungeons, it just depends on how much knowledge you have of this game, or experience.

I advice you to:
    • Don't use grouping tool.
    • Join 1-2 active social guilds
    • Find and get friends, either from the guilds or other places.
    • Try to get 5 pieces of Seducer set lightarmor, and go buy magicka enchants from a vendor for it.
    • Get a restoration staff and a destruction staff both with training trait.
    • When you join up for dungeons with your friends/ guildies - go for the easier dungeons first. You can do that by looking at the map, zoom out and see which areas are the starter areas, and work your way up from there.
    This is how the dungeon difficulties are set:
    The tier 1 dungeons are the easiest, and they are Banished Cells (Auridon), Spindleclutch (Glenumbra) and Fungal Grotto (Stonefalls). They are all located in starter areas for each faction, which is why they are the easiest ones.
    The tier 2 dungeons are the second easiest, and they are Elden Hollow (Grahtwood), Wayrest Sewers (Stormhaven) and Darkshade Caverns (Deshaan). These are located on the secondary maps, so they are a bit harder than the Tier 1 dungeons. It goes like that all the way up to Coldharbour.. leave the DLC dungeons to be the last, as they actually are the hardest.

Use these skills in dungeons:
    • Healing Springs (morph of Grand Healing - Restoration staff skill line)
    • Rapid Regeneration (morph of Regeneration - Restoration staff skill line)
    • Breath of Life (morph of Rushed Ceremony - Restoring Light skill line)
    • Puncturing Sweep (morph of Puncturing Strikes - Aedric Spear skill line)

...of course you should slot more skill, but these are just the basics of what you need to finish most dungeons with.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on July 22, 2016 1:28PM
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    You're probably only using the Templar specific heals, they're useful but you'll need to level Restoration staff
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    there is a discussion about the restoration staff skills:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/de/discussion/142035/best-restoration-staff-ability
    Chesimac wrote: »
    Multi-Target Burst: Combat Prayer
    Efficient: Mutagen/Rapid Regeneration
    Single Target Burst: Healing Ward
    Multi-Target Efficiency: Healing Springs
    No best heal in game

I use as templar always a restoration staff since I am more flexible in different situations with my healing in dungeons.
  • Speely
    Speely
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make sure you use Resto Staff heals for non-emergencies. Templars can easily over-heal with class skills (read: Breath of Life) and run out of Magicka, especially earlier on before you have lots of sustain options. Resto Staff options are generally more efficient and not prone to overhealing.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    as soon as you have the first two resto staff skills
    Edited by Shunravi on July 24, 2016 11:56PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    One thing to consider in healing in group dungeons, is it might not be your fault if your group dies. I've healed all the 4 man dungeons in the game, and have seen many groups that make the healer's job as hard as possible. If your group was taking a lot of damage, chances are the entire group was fairly inexperienced. While it is possible to run almost all the dungeons w/o a tank, inexperienced groups do benefit from having one. If a tank does not tank when he is expected to be taunting, and when dps do not know how to avoid/mitigate/dodge roll/block/self-heal to avoid taking damage it can be pretty hard for a healer to keep up with the damage that a group is taking and quickly run out of magicka.

I agree with all the advice given above, but don't be too hard on yourself. In my experience most of the time players die it's their own fault. Every player needs a self-heal, and every player needs to know how to not take damage. You will pick up on which skills to use. A few other skills you will want to invest in aa a Templar healer are:

-Luminous shards-morph of spear shards in aedric spear skill line. A good support ability that allows you to feed stamina to you tank and dps.

-Repentance-morph of restoring aura in restoring Light skill line. This skill is a free heal (costs no magicka) and also restores stamina to group. it pulls off of corpses in you vicinity.

-Cleansing Ritual-restoring Light skill. heals your allies and gives you major mending buff increasing your healing done by 25% with the sacred ground passive.

Also make sure you take all the Templar/restro staff/light armor passive skills as well.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vonovosi wrote: »
    One thing to consider in healing in group dungeons, is it might not be your fault if your group dies. I've healed all the 4 man dungeons in the game, and have seen many groups that make the healer's job as hard as possible. If your group was taking a lot of damage, chances are the entire group was fairly inexperienced. While it is possible to run almost all the dungeons w/o a tank, inexperienced groups do benefit from having one. If a tank does not tank when he is expected to be taunting, and when dps do not know how to avoid/mitigate/dodge roll/block/self-heal to avoid taking damage it can be pretty hard for a healer to keep up with the damage that a group is taking and quickly run out of magicka.

I agree with all the advice given above, but don't be too hard on yourself. In my experience most of the time players die it's their own fault.

I agree with this to a large extent. Just as it is feasible to run with 3dps and 1 healer, it is also possible to 3dps and 1 tank, or 4 dps outright.

What distinguishes the players who are able to complete this content without a tank and/or healer is raid awareness, or in other words, paying attention to mechanics and reacting appropriately. The more experience you have, the easier it is to identify these things.

I think it's important to keep in mind that dying in a 4man is all but inconsequential. I choose to run with pug groups all the time just for fun, and even in some of the worst cases, one person going down isn't necessarily grounds for a wipe, or replacing someone, or even mentioning at all sometimes.
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »

I agree with all the advice given above, but don't be too hard on yourself. In my experience most of the time players die it's their own fault.

I agree with this to a large extent. Just as it is feasible to run with 3dps and 1 healer, it is also possible to 3dps and 1 tank, or 4 dps outright.

What distinguishes the players who are able to complete this content without a tank and/or healer is raid awareness, or in other words, paying attention to mechanics and reacting appropriately. The more experience you have, the easier it is to identify these things.

I think it's important to keep in mind that dying in a 4man is all but inconsequential. I choose to run with pug groups all the time just for fun, and even in some of the worst cases, one person going down isn't necessarily grounds for a wipe, or replacing someone, or even mentioning at all sometimes.

You are 100% right. It all comes down to situational awareness and understanding game mechanics. I also primarily run in pugs. IMO the most important role in the group dungeons is the DPS, the more efficient they are in burning the enemies and reacting to game mechanics, the faster and easier the dungeon run will go. Also the entire group will have to worry much less about game mechanics because there will be many fewer of them to contend with if everything is dead.

You are also right about the deaths as well. having 1 or more player death, does not necessarily mean the end of a dungeon run. I've soloed down many of the bosses in the dungeons after every1 else wiped. It comes down to knowing your build and understanding mechanics. Having a player die is no reason to boot or to rage-quit a group. I am very patient in my groups, I prefer to explain game mechanics if a players are inexperienced. I have done training runs in all the group dungeons (including WGT and ICP) and find that if you are patient and take the time to explain the more mechanically complicated fights and offer constructive advice to less experienced players all can be done with minimal grief.

Like you say it mostly comes down to experience. There are fights in the dungeons that if everyone knows their role, should offer little trouble even in a pug. the same fight w 4 inexperienced players will be virtually impossible.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat Prayer, Combat Prayer, Combat Prayer. Nothing speeds up a dungeon faster. It applies a minor berserk
    buff that is ultimately nearly as powerful as Major brutality and typically much stronger than Major Sorcery (because
    neither boosts the damage output contributed by max resources, while Berserk does),
    boosting total damage done by 8%, It also grants resistance with minor resolve and minor ward. I use the Vulnerability
    poison on my restro staff as well to increase a boss's damage taken by another 8%. 

16% more damage done 

• Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    level 10+ can handle healing dungeons, it just depends on how much knowledge you have of this game, or experience.

I advice you to:
    • Don't use grouping tool.
    • Join 1-2 active social guilds
    • Find and get friends, either from the guilds or other places.
    • Try to get 5 pieces of Seducer set lightarmor, and go buy magicka enchants from a vendor for it.
    • Get a restoration staff and a destruction staff both with training trait.
    • When you join up for dungeons with your friends/ guildies - go for the easier dungeons first. You can do that by looking at the map, zoom out and see which areas are the starter areas, and work your way up from there.
    This is how the dungeon difficulties are set:
    The tier 1 dungeons are the easiest, and they are Banished Cells (Auridon), Spindleclutch (Glenumbra) and Fungal Grotto (Stonefalls). They are all located in starter areas for each faction, which is why they are the easiest ones.
    The tier 2 dungeons are the second easiest, and they are Elden Hollow (Grahtwood), Wayrest Sewers (Stormhaven) and Darkshade Caverns (Deshaan). These are located on the secondary maps, so they are a bit harder than the Tier 1 dungeons. It goes like that all the way up to Coldharbour.. leave the DLC dungeons to be the last, as they actually are the hardest.

Use these skills in dungeons:
    • Healing Springs (morph of Grand Healing - Restoration staff skill line)
    • Rapid Regeneration (morph of Regeneration - Restoration staff skill line)
    • Breath of Life (morph of Rushed Ceremony - Restoring Light skill line)
    • Puncturing Sweep (morph of Puncturing Strikes - Aedric Spear skill line)

...of course you should slot more skill, but these are just the basics of what you need to finish most dungeons with.

Your dungeon tiers are wrong, wayrest is easier than spindle and fungal both normal and vet.
  • Powerburrito20
    Autolycus wrote: »

You are 100% right. It all comes down to situational awareness and understanding game mechanics. I also primarily run in pugs. IMO the most important role in the group dungeons is the DPS, the more efficient they are in burning the enemies and reacting to game mechanics, the faster and easier the dungeon run will go. Also the entire group will have to worry much less about game mechanics because there will be many fewer of them to contend with if everything is dead.

You are also right about the deaths as well. having 1 or more player death, does not necessarily mean the end of a dungeon run. I've soloed down many of the bosses in the dungeons after every1 else wiped. It comes down to knowing your build and understanding mechanics. Having a player die is no reason to boot or to rage-quit a group. I am very patient in my groups, I prefer to explain game mechanics if a players are inexperienced. I have done training runs in all the group dungeons (including WGT and ICP) and find that if you are patient and take the time to explain the more mechanically complicated fights and offer constructive advice to less experienced players all can be done with minimal grief.

Like you say it mostly comes down to experience. There are fights in the dungeons that if everyone knows their role, should offer little trouble even in a pug. the same fight w 4 inexperienced players will be virtually impossible.

BIG thumbs up! It's attitudes like this that make the game fun... I'm a CP297 and don't have the dungeon skill that I should and it is down right HARD to find a PUG that will take the time to teach / help other less experienced players.
    Edited by Powerburrito20 on July 27, 2016 7:44PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns no they are not, the minimum level fo Wayrest Sewers is also higher than Spindle and Fungal according to the map. What tier a dungeon is + minimum level it can be scaled to depends on what map it's on. The intelligence of the AI goes accordingly up, and enemies in Wayrest do act more smart than the enemies in Fungal and Spindle.

However the mechanics work and some players find some dungeons easier than others is a different matter. Just because the AI in a dungeon is more intelligent than a lower tier one, doesn't save it from mechanics that are easy to counter - for most groups.