Martial Staff Skill Line Concept

Kalifas
Kalifas
✭✭✭
This is an idea for a Staff Skill line to be implemented in ESO. The Martial staff differs from magic staves in that a Martial Staff's damage is based off Stamina and Chi Energy.
I laid forth an idea of Monk class previously. I am re-linking that because it has some skills I would like to see branch off into a Martial Staff, which is like a two handed version of a gauntlet or Caestus which I built the idea for monk off of.

Monk Class and Hand to Hand Skill Line

the-forbidden-kingdom.jpg

Here is a little juju to get the inspiration flowing for staff fighting. Interestingly, this Monkey King looks awfully familiar to an Elder Scrolls Race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhH9GJ7lpGs

Martial Staff Types:

There are two types of Martial Staves.

Bo Staves:
Return Stamina with Heavy Attacks
Have a higher damage output than Soul Staves
Increased skill cost for Staff skills

Soul Staves:
Return Health with Heavy attacks
Have a lower damage output than Bo Staves
Decreased skill cost for Staff Skills

A note on Chi Energy: Chi energy is a resource modifier that is available via equipping Martial Staves. The modifier can change the potency of skills for Martial Staffs.

Martial Staff Actives:
A note on Boost: DMG = floor( floor(Max Stamina × Rand ) × ( #Boost × BoostIncrease% + 1 ) )
Stamina is the player's Max Stamina stat
Rand is a game determined number between 0.5 to 1.0, represented to least to 10-bit precision
Boost is the number of times the player has boosted
BoostIncrease% is the percentage increase in Chi Blast damage given by each Boost usage. This is always 4 times the percentage increase in Attack given by Boost, so without any enhancing gear Boost will give +12.5% Attack and +50% BoostIncrease%.

Boost Attack Bonus does not stack on normal attacks or skills but is cumulative in charging towards a Chi Energy release skill. Think of it like you can charge once and get an attack boost for 12.5% for one attack and the preceding attacks in that 10 seconds hit for normal. After you have full charged your chi energy. A skill like Chi Blast can be used consuming that stored energy to deal a big amount of damage
  • Active: Boost- Focus your energy inward increasing charging your Chi energy by 4% every second for 10 seconds.
  • Morph 1- Spirit Boost Focus your energy inward increasing your Chi energy by 4% and stamina recovery by 2% every second for 10 seconds.After 10 seconds stamina defaults to normal.
  • Morph 2- Vigor Boost Focus your energy inward increasing your Chi energy by 4% and health recovery by 2% every second for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds health defaults to normal.

• Active: Chi Blast- Release your stored Chi Energy in a ball of energy on a target for the damage of any Chi Blast increases based on number of times you boosted prior.
  • Morph 1- Spirit Boost Focus your energy inward increasing your chi energy by 2% and stamina recovery by 2% every second for 10 seconds.After 10 seconds stamina defaults to normal.
  • Morph 2- Vigor Boost Focus your energy inward increasing your Chi Energy by 2% and health recovery by 2% every second for 10 seconds. After 10 seconds health defaults to normal.

• Active: 3 Point Spectrum- Release your stored Chi Energy, the next 3 Martial Staff weapon skills you activate cost less stamina depending on how many times you boosted prior.
    3 Boost= 80% Lower cost, 6 Boost= 60% lower cost, 8 Boost= 40% Lower cost
  • Morph 1-Visceral Spectrum Release your stored Chi Energy, the next 3 Martial Staff weapon skills you activate cost less stamina depending on how many times you boosted prior. Critical hit rate is increased by 3% for 10 seconds.
  • Morph 2-Magicka Wall Release your stored Chi Energy, the next 3 Martial Staff weapon skills you activate cost less stamina depending on how many times you boosted prior. Decreases magical damage taken by 3% for 10 seconds.

• Active:Inner Eye- Release your stored Chi Energy, you gain an evasion bonus that varies based on number of times you boosted prior.
    3 Boost= +2% Evasion, 6 Boost= +4% evasion, 8 Boost= + 6% Evasion. Evasion Bonus depletes 10 seconds after activating Inner Eye.
  • Morph 1-Dark Eye Release your stored Chi Energy, you lose the evasion bonus instead gain a Max Stamina Bonus depending on number of times you boosted prior.
    3 Boost= +2% Max Stamina, 6 Boost= +4% Max Stamina, 8 Boost= + 6% Max Stamina. Max Stamina reverts to normal 10 seconds after activating Dark Eye.
  • Morph 2-Cloaked Eye Release your stored Chi Energy, you gain an evasion bonus that varies based on number of times you boosted prior.
    3 Boost= +2% Evasion, 6 Boost= +4% evasion, 8 Boost= + 6% Evasion. Also gain a damage shield that negates 3 single attacks or one AoE attack. Evasion Bonus and damage shield depletes 10 seconds after activating Inner Eye.

• Active:Pendulum- Launch across the earth and smash an enemy for [x] Physical Damage.This attack is always a Critical Strike.
  • Morph 1- Sharp Pendulum Launch across the earth and smash an enemy for [x] Physical Damage.This attack is always a Critical Strike.Also afflicts enemy with Major Fracture, reducing Physical Resistance by [y] for 12 seconds.
  • Morph 2-Blunt Pendulum Launch across the earth and smash an enemy for [x] Physical Damage.This attack is always a Critical Strike taunting them to attack you for 15 seconds.You gain Minor Resolve, increasing your Physical Resistance by [z] for 12 seconds.

Martial Staff Passives:
Martial Weapons: Switching between Martial Staves overrides the current effect
  • Rank 1:
    Bo Staves Increases your critical damage by 4%
    Soul Staves Decreases your damage taken by 4%
  • Rank 2:
    Bo Staves Increases your critical damage by 8%
    Soul Staves Decreases your damage taken by 8%

Pre-emptive Start: Switching between Martial Staves overrides the current effect
  • Rank 1:
    Bo Staves Increases your Stamina Recovery by 15% for 10 seconds upon engaging a target
    Soul Staves Increase your health recovery by 15% for 10 seconds upon engaging a target
  • Rank 2:
    Bo Staves Increases your Stamina Recovery by 30% for 10 seconds upon engaging a target
    Soul Staves Increase your health recovery by 30% for 10 seconds upon engaging a target

Vested Chance: Switching between Martial Staves overrides the current effect
  • Rank 1:
    Bo Staves Increases the cost of Martial Staff skills by 5% and the damage of Martial Staff skills by 5%
    Soul Staves Decrease the cost of Martial Staff skills by 5% and decrease the damage of Martial Staff Skills by 5%
  • Rank 2:
    Bo Staves Increases the cost of Martial Staff skills by 10% and the damage of Martial Staff skills by 10%
    Soul Staves Decrease the cost of Martial Staff skills by 10% and decrease the damage of Martial Staff Skills by 10%

Dual Focus: Switching between Martial Staves overrides the current effect
  • Rank 1:
    Bo Staves Increases the damage of fully charged Chi Blast by 7%
    Soul Staves Increases the health returned of a fully charged heavy attack by X amount
  • Rank 2:
    Bo Staves Increases the damage of fully charged Chi Blast by 15%
    Soul Staves Increases the health returned of a fully charged heavy attack by 2X amount

Spiritual Blessing: Switching between Martial Staves overrides the current effect
  • Rank 1:
    Bo Staves Your successful Light and Heavy Attacks increase the damage of your Staff abilities by 2% for 4 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.
    Soul Staves Reduces the cost of blocking by 18% and Increases the amount of damage you can absorb from magicka based spells by 8%.
  • Rank 2:
    Bo Staves Your successful Light and Heavy Attacks increase the damage of your Staff abilities by 5% for 4 seconds, stacking up to 3 times.
    Soul Staves Reduces the cost of blocking by 36% and Increases the amount of damage you can absorb from magicka based spells by 15%.

Hope we get a Martial Staff skill line! B)

An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • Averya_Teira
    Averya_Teira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks fun, I'd use those weapons.
    Options
  • ScottK1994
    ScottK1994
    ✭✭✭
    Well yeah but doesn't a sort of Monk playstyle exist in Elder scrolls games anyway? The unarmed skill line

It's a shame its not on this
    Edited by ScottK1994 on July 21, 2016 10:50AM
    Options
  • MathCore666
    MathCore666
    Soul Shriven
    The idea is cool but it's not lorewise, I think.
    I still hope that if Zenimax will add a monk class it will use fists as weapons (it was possible to be strong without weapons in previous games)
    Edited by MathCore666 on July 21, 2016 10:52AM
    Options
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    looks interresting
    Options
  • Vildebill
    Vildebill
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We used to have combat staves in Morrowind so why not!
    EU PC
    Options
  • AugustoCP
    AugustoCP
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fine with this.

One thing I really like about it is that it'd hopefully create an actual demand for woodworkers, at least for a while, as people went for the new skill line. Definetely interesting.
    Options
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain of sand khajiit h2h monk style(monks can be lore. Plus Ancestor Moth monks had to stay in shape. Maybe they used a bo as well....
    Options
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    AugustoCP wrote: »
    I'm fine with this.

One thing I really like about it is that it'd hopefully create an actual demand for woodworkers, at least for a while, as people went for the new skill line. Definetely interesting.
    I would imagine Martial Staff would be woodworker. Do you make good money off crafting other weapons?
    Options
  • AugustoCP
    AugustoCP
    ✭✭✭
    I've never, ever, received a woodworker weapon business proposal.

I once made a shield. That's it.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalifas wrote: »
    This is an idea for a Staff Skill line to be implemented in ESO. The Martial staff differs from magic staves in that a Martial Staff's damage is based off Stamina and Chi Energy.

...so, Magicka.

Honestly, ignoring everything else you just wrote, a split stamina/magicka hybrid weapon could be pretty interesting. Even if it was just a new skill line allowing you to use existing staves as melee weapons.
    Options
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So long as they do nothing to HA, swords cut them in half. And a gold one does 1wp damage only then yes.

But hard to fight the Xivkyn with a stick only. Like a knife to a gunfight.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So long as they do nothing to HA, swords cut them in half. And a gold one does 1wp damage only then yes.

Have you ever had someone connect with a staff before? Those things freakin' hurt.
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorcs block with staffs . Bow users block with bows , so I don't see the need to add pseudo realism here .

Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorcs block with staffs . Bow users block with bows , so I don't see the need to add pseudo realism here .

It's not even "pseudo" realism. In trained hands, a staff can mess you up, armored or no.
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not even "pseudo" realism. In trained hands, a staff can mess you up, armored or no.

I agree . I meant pseudo realism as in video game simulation of steel vs wood . I imagine a Bo Staff expert would parry a sword attack and not brace block like Sorc staff animation anyways in a real fight .
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree . I meant pseudo realism as in video game simulation of steel vs wood . I imagine a Bo Staff expert would parry a sword attack and not brace block like Sorc staff animation anyways in a real fight .

No, even on a braced block like that. I mean, on one hand it's kinda funny, people accept that their shields will take the blow from a sword or axe, but then get confused about the idea that a staff would.

Now, braced blocking like that would tear up a staff over time. And, staves were usually made from hardwoods, while shields were made from softwoods, because softwoods absorb abuse better, but, it's no less realistic than ESO giving us oaken shields.

EDIT: European staves. Bo Staves are usually made from softer materials.
    Edited by starkerealm on July 22, 2016 1:25PM
    Options
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, even on a braced block like that. I mean, on one hand it's kinda funny, people accept that their shields will take the blow from a sword or axe, but then get confused about the idea that a staff would.

Now, braced blocking like that would tear up a staff over time. And, staves were usually made from hardwoods, while shields were made from softwoods, because softwoods absorb abuse better, but, it's no less realistic than ESO giving us oaken shields.

No you don't agree that I agree and want to explain on even more ? Sure , keep going . Explain it away .
    Options
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    Kalifas wrote: »

...so, Magicka.

Honestly, ignoring everything else you just wrote, a split stamina/magicka hybrid weapon could be pretty interesting. Even if it was just a new skill line allowing you to use existing staves as melee weapons.
    You know I was thinking of Chi as a weapon specific resource line. But I suppose if it fit lore better, they could just make it a split stamina/magicka hybrid.
    Options