Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stam DK Leveling?

Papa_Hunt
Papa_Hunt
✭✭✭
Tried all classes except DK. I would like to level up (solo) a stam DK. I'll be using sword and board/2-hander end-game. Please provide advice, skills to use, etc. to make this as easy as possible.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The typical things for a leveling character are the same no matter what class and style you choose

1. Have one of each Class Skill on your Bar at all times. These level the slowest, and your class is your character
    2. Have at least one of your weapon skills on your bar at all times, this will help you get to L38 sooner in the skill.
    3. Wear at least one of each type of armor so all three level, you never know what the preferred armor type will be down the road.
    4. Once you get a weapon skill to 38, then use another weapon to level that, you never know what will be good next month.
    5. Read every Lore Book you can get your hands on, both the Blue and the White ones.
    6. Since this is an Alt, you probably don't need to craft, but Provisioning and Alchemy are easy to level, and help any character even if they just use the products
    7. Develop every skill in your class and weapon lines until at least the Morph Stage

Worry about gear, rotations and such once you reach L50 when it really matters.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Papa_Hunt
    Papa_Hunt
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    The typical things for a leveling character are the same no matter what class and style you choose

1. Have one of each Class Skill on your Bar at all times. These level the slowest, and your class is your character
    2. Have at least one of your weapon skills on your bar at all times, this will help you get to L38 sooner in the skill.
    3. Wear at least one of each type of armor so all three level, you never know what the preferred armor type will be down the road.
    4. Once you get a weapon skill to 38, then use another weapon to level that, you never know what will be good next month.
    5. Read every Lore Book you can get your hands on, both the Blue and the White ones.
    6. Since this is an Alt, you probably don't need to craft, but Provisioning and Alchemy are easy to level, and help any character even if they just use the products
    7. Develop every skill in your class and weapon lines until at least the Morph Stage

Worry about gear, rotations and such once you reach L50 when it really matters.

@Nestor Thanks for taking the time to respond! I appreciate the good advice; but additionally, I'd like to know what kind of AOE options I might have as a DK for grinding groups of mobs? With NB, I had Tornado. With Templar, I had Jabs. See what I mean? Or am I going to be force to single target everything down as a Stam Templar?
  • Semner
    Semner
    ✭✭✭
    Your AoE choices as a stam DK aren't great while leveling. Sure, you'll get Noxious Breath but it's a DoT - and the magicka costs from talons will make it difficult for you use it very often.

One option you might consider is going dual-wield while you level up and simply keep a two-hander or one-handed ability on your bar to level them up. Tornado + Talons is a nasty PvE combo when you're leveling up.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried a Stamina DK a while back, soon specced them back into Magic. My main issue was the resource I used to move around was the same resource I attacked with. Plus, at the time, most of the DK Stam Morphs were kind of Meh.

I know they have changed the DK Morphs for Stamina so they are better, but I am not familiar with them to offer any good advice.

As the poster above mentioned, Talons and Steel Tornado is good, then again, 2H has a nice AoEish attack to use too. Mostly what you are going to be doing as a Stamina DK is using DK skills as support, defense and crowd control. Which means most of your attacks are going to come from the Weapon skill lines. Currently, DW and Bow have the better multi mob attacks, but the 2H skill (I forget the name Cleave I think?) can also work for that.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• ThePaleItalian
    ThePaleItalian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I leveled a DK tank all the way to VR16. The new passives for heavy armor can make you a monster when grabbing large groups of enemies, Wrath is the passive.

I just pull a room and beat them to death. By no means is the AoE that impressive, but Breath, talons, cleave, inferno among others do just fine.

I see it this way, you can kill one enemy in 30 seconds, for 15 of them in 3 min. Once, again this is my experience and I am gear out in monster sets but it works. I will try to post my build a little later, but its fun to level with a bunch of mobs beating on you, plus if you want to tank end game its nice to try out your rotation and learning to manage resources. I went all points in Stam and I run into no issues running Vet dungs and trials, plus its a blast in PvP as well.

Are you on PC or PS4 Xbone?
    Conan, what is good in life?
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.

PS4 Screen Name: The_Pale_Italian
    ZweiHandler - Orc DK Tank
    Solstice StormHaven - Magika Sorc
    Oba Nobanaga - Stam NB
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DW is actually pretty good right now for DPS, so I'd do steel tornado, 2 class skills (each from a different line), a 2H skill, a 1HS skill, and a class ultimate (from whatever skill line is left over). Even though you're not planning on using it now, you might change your mind later.