The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why the DK Wings Reflect Needs to Be Changed

Cathexis
Cathexis
✭✭✭✭✭
Just before I say anything, I would like to start by saying that this is not a nerf dks thread. I dont think dks in general are too overpowered.

I'm starting to find, however, that it is really cumbersome to have to work around a build which basically can't include range attacks. I understand I might be biased because I play primarily as a sorc as both stam and mag, but in both cases, making an adequate build for all around fighting basically necessitates that none of your attacks can be projectile based. That means no crystal frags, no overload, no throwing daggers, no poison arrow, no snipe, no silver bolts, no scatter shot, and not a lot of destro staff abilities. While that's the bulk of them I'm not even certain if that is the complete list. It is a bit ridiculous to me that this ability can counter that many abilities, and so aggressively, especially with the removal of double reflect. Running a stam sorc, you are highly dependent on weapon skills and with so many being easily reflected without a counter this seriously limits your options.

I'm just generally wondering if many others experience the same issue with their build.
The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
Praise Malacath.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does counter a ton of stuff, it wasn't a problem as much with double reflect, you're right.

Don't see it as a problem now since the duration is short, i just use it as time to do my own recovery. That being said i don't fight dks on my sorc. I literally don't run a build that can fight reflect spam.

It's really only op in 1v1 which is not what this have Is built around.
  • pcar944
    pcar944
    ✭✭✭✭
    if anything, half the time my wings don't reflect anything
    One Tamriel killed PVP

DC Magicka Orc Necromancer climbing those ranks ...
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bring back double reflect!!
  • incite
    incite
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to pay attention when he reflects and time your att's accordingly, i main a mag sorc and i dont have issues, no dk keeps his wings up at ALL times, you'll always find holes in between em, thats when your burst, good luck
    PC EU

no1 knows me, no1 cares about me but sshh, don't tell

• Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭
    i think its fine, and i say that as a magica sorc,
    Stam DK's can't spam wings all the time, when wings go up start counting down form 4 while going on defensive.
    if its a mag dk then he is vulnerable to CC like any other magica class - start streaking.
    Araviel -Professional Zerg surfing mutagen spammer [DC-EU]
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One crushing shot with light attack and wings are gone. On top of that they are bugged and do not reflect the debuffs and the DoT damage.
    Because I can!
  • Nightenhowl
    Nightenhowl
    ✭✭✭
    So you want a class with mostly close range abilities to be a seating duck to range casters? Remember to use Dots and time your burst.
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This can't be a serious thread. If youre using all ranged skills to kill people the problem isnt reflective scale, it's your build. If you're a sorc, then you should learn how to time your damage in between reflects. If they sit there and constantly spam it, they will either a) not do enough damage to put you under pressure, or b) run out of magicka (as a Stam dk). Magicka Dk's really aren't that difficult to kill. L2P issue IMHO.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    One crushing shot with light attack and wings are gone. On top of that they are bugged and do not reflect the debuffs and the DoT damage.

No, Force Shock counts as one projectile.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, make wings reflect six projectiles. I'd be fine with that change even as a magicka sorc.
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Tl:Dr
    Im not saying nerf dks, but nerf dks.
  • ThulsaDoomDC
    ThulsaDoomDC
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm gonna have to disagree with OP on this one. I run a mDK heavily and wings are really my only counter to a sorc. I have 2k unbuffed spell damage but still when I need to resource manage I'll use heavy attack resto and wings at a distance. It's all about how you play. Plus I use wings all the time in group pvp and honestly 4 projectiles in group pvp goes by fast
    Edited by ThulsaDoomDC on July 1, 2016 6:59PM
    XBOX NA - mDK CP 488
    Better Dead Than Red
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree wings should reflect siege.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    I agree wings should reflect siege.

Wings reflecting siege would be awesome, but only on direct hits. I'd love to see flappy DK's trying to get the headshots.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah wings aren't that strong, there are ok if they actually work but how many builds are actually ranged, the only one i can think of is mag sorc and they have stacking, mines, curse, heavy lightning etc...

A class with 0 range needs something to handle range.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • PeggymoeXD
    PeggymoeXD
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Just no.
    Kitty DK

Vanguärd
    Învictus
    Sun's Death
    EPHS

- Peggy Moe - Look Mom No Emp Buff - Chalman - Linda the Zookeeper -
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    *I miss double reflect.
    *I miss a functional Eclipse.
    *I think Reflect as a 100% proposition is in and of itself the flaw. Give Reflect a more reasonable 25% chance or 33% chance rate, keep a long duration, and I'll appreciate it more. It will still have value to DK's (get rid of the projectile # limitation) as it will directly give a 25%-33% reduction in Ranged damage, and it will still put pressure and fear on ranged attackers without completely shutting them down. I never understood why you'd put 100% reflection in this game Unless you want to give us 100% resistance too (not something I recommend). The whole notion is bass ackwards and really ought to be reconsidered. I've stated this before, multiple times, mostly on deaf ears, and sometimes with people replying angrily in forum posts about it. I don't recommend this to nerf DK's, and honestly I think it would be an improvement. Think about it, you could fire and forget your wings and they'd be applying pressure for the whole duration, same with defensive posture, and some new reasonable variant of Eclipse. This is the direction I seriously hope ZoS moves toward.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Marque
    Marque
    ✭✭
    I can't disagree more, it only lasts 4 seconds or through 4 projectiles, whichever comes first. If for whatever reason you cant find a way to time your projectiles to when the dk lets them down, you're a sorc. You can literally just speed away and the dk can not catch you.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude...seriously???

I'mma go make some sweet tea and walk away from this thread because I know I did not just click on a ESO thread that is trying to NERF the DK class.

Editing- the / due to hightened emotion

Edited by DUTCH_REAPER on July 1, 2016 9:38PM
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    #bring back meteor reflect.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dude...seriously???

I'mma go make some sweet tea and walk away from this thread because I know I did not just click on a ESO thread that is trying to NERF the DK class.

/middlefinger

My proposal is meant as a way to nerf-proof the skill. If you had Evasion-duration on a 25-33% reflect it would balance out a few problems people have with Scales/Posture. Firstly, it would put pressure on the aggressor and make them give pause particularly if their health got low, BUT they could still have a shot at doing SOME damage to you. It wouldn't be perfect defense at range which is the issue ranged fighters have. Conversely, it would save a lot of magicka on the DK's part if he could fire and forget the skill (like it use to be during the perma-dk bats doublestacking ulti era) without all the flaws of that era. I've always felt perfect reflect was the issue with the skill. The only thing worse is perfect spell absorption. While perfect reflect/absorption were possible in standalone games I really think they are bad in the pvp balance of things in a multiplayer game. My proposal is meant to be a balance to the skill, where a tanky DK could still reflect a hell of a lot of projectiles, but he couldn't withstand 100 players firing at him from range purely because he is Sir-Flaps-A lot.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude...seriously???

/middlefinger

My proposal is meant as a way to nerf-proof the skill. If you had Evasion-duration on a 25-33% reflect it would balance out a few problems people have with Scales/Posture. Firstly, it would put pressure on the aggressor and make them give pause particularly if their health got low, BUT they could still have a shot at doing SOME damage to you. It wouldn't be perfect defense at range which is the issue ranged fighters have. Conversely, it would save a lot of magicka on the DK's part if he could fire and forget the skill (like it use to be during the perma-dk bats doublestacking ulti era) without all the flaws of that era. I've always felt perfect reflect was the issue with the skill. The only thing worse is perfect spell absorption. While perfect reflect/absorption were possible in standalone games I really think they are bad in the pvp balance of things in a multiplayer game. My proposal is meant to be a balance to the skill, where a tanky DK could still reflect a hell of a lot of projectiles, but he couldn't withstand 100 players firing at him from range purely because he is Sir-Flaps-A lot.

Adding more RNG to pvp is not the answer, shuffle RNG is already annoying enough.

It shouldn't be hard for range builds to either but some skills that aren't projectiles or simply time their strong projectiles, e.g. Hold that proc frags, when wings it about to end, cc and shoot.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dude...seriously???

/middlefinger

Adding more RNG to pvp is not the answer, shuffle RNG is already annoying enough.

It shouldn't be hard for range builds to either but some skills that aren't projectiles or simply time their strong projectiles, e.g. Hold that proc frags, when wings it about to end, cc and shoot.
    Shuffle RNG is better than Perfect Evasion. My solution deals with the complaint, while also making the cost/benefit ratio an actual improvement to the DK. I personally feel my proposal is balanced, even if it does involve an RNG (which is part and parcel of much of the game to begin with).
    <And plenty more>
  • ThulsaDoomDC
    ThulsaDoomDC
    ✭✭✭
    Dude...seriously???

Editing- the / due to hightened emotion

Lmao. Dude the struggle is real for us.
    XBOX NA - mDK CP 488
    Better Dead Than Red
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this thread really a ****ing thing? Or did I somehow go back in time?
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • PeggymoeXD
    PeggymoeXD
    ✭✭✭✭
    I accidentally came back to this thread just to get irritated. Please don't take this personally, but it's people like you that are making this game too easy. Which decreases its longevity overall. If there aren't things to grind towards, or certain skills to be mastered, the game would be super boring and get old quick.

Seriously, don't take this the wrong way.. But this is the most legitimate case of L2P I've seen in a long time. DK's are probably the least favorite class after they were nerfed beyond belief. And now you're complaining about the one skill that functions properly and allows for some sort of survival against the eighty million bowtards/casters who spam the same skills repeatedly. It takes some practice, but seriously.. All you have to do is time your shots and CC. I mean it's cyrodiil. Just CC the living fudge out of the DK until he's laying crippled on the ground. He can't cast wings from down there. Also nerf bombard.
    Kitty DK

Vanguärd
    Învictus
    Sun's Death
    EPHS

- Peggy Moe - Look Mom No Emp Buff - Chalman - Linda the Zookeeper -
  • jello
    jello
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why Slot wings without sorcs in cyro?
    Dunmer - Nightblade
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nah wings aren't that strong, there are ok if they actually work but how many builds are actually ranged, the only one i can think of is mag sorc and they have stacking, mines, curse, heavy lightning etc...

Dude...
    Stam DKs have bows, and they use it better than anyone else thanks to Molten Weapons and poison passives.
    And regarding your (once again) sorc bias: shield stacking is short now and gets you killed anyway. Mines only hit once for a ton of magicka cost and are stationary and telegraphed, so pose no risk at all. Curse deals a bit of damage after 4 secs, whuppie! Heavy staff attacks... Really? Not only bashable, but set your dps to... 5k?
    Just look at your leaderboard, how many sorcs do you see on top, and how many of them are not stamina sorcs? Claiming that sorcs are fine right now is just denial.
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »

Dude...
    Stam DKs have bows, and they use it better than anyone else thanks to Molten Weapons and poison passives.
    And regarding your (once again) sorc bias: shield stacking is short now and gets you killed anyway. Mines only hit once for a ton of magicka cost and are stationary and telegraphed, so pose no risk at all. Curse deals a bit of damage after 4 secs, whuppie! Heavy staff attacks... Really? Not only bashable, but set your dps to... 5k?
    Just look at your leaderboard, how many sorcs do you see on top, and how many of them are not stamina sorcs? Claiming that sorcs are fine right now is just denial.

Heavy attacks are uninterruptable.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agreed, wings needs to fixed.
    1. If you reflect a projectile, the debuffs should be reflected as well. This currently does not happen. (E.g. the heal debuffs from dark flare or lethal arrow stays even if reflected).
    2. Should definitely be able to reflect projectiles fired from stealth. This currently does not work.
    3. Please restore infinite reflect for 4s. Love killing people that can't stop mashing one button.
    4. Please fix broken wings. Even if wings are up, they often fail to reflect projectiles.

Thanks for bringing these critical issues to light, OP!