The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Are hybrid builds viable?

ragnarok6644b14_ESO
Hello everyone!

I have a kind of curious question today. Back when softcaps were a thing (pre-1.6?) I think hybridizing a character wasn't so bad. Now, however, I have heard over and over again that min-maxing a single stat is the way to go.

What I am doing right now is building an Altmer Templar Tank (yes, I know... RP reasons) and I want to be able to:

1) utilize Puncturing Sweeps for solo play (this ability in solo PVE is hilarious). This is a magicka morph.

2) Utilize Sun Shield for general use (this ability and its morphs seem awesome). I don't believe there is a stamina morph for this (and it scales off of health).

3) use S&B abilities such as Invasion, Power Slam, and Absorb Magic. These are all stamina.

4) use Runic Focus and possibly off-bar heals, which would be magicka, for solo play, PVP, and emergency situations.

Would a build that utilizes both stamina and magicka abilities be laughed out of the room? If not, how should I go about doing it?

EDIT: It is worth knowing that I tanked three dungeons (including ICP) using group dungeon finder last evening at around Lvl 20 with a "hybrid" build... but it is really a stamina build. I have 2 points in Magicka, 14 in Health and 5 in Stamina, using just drops right now with whatever enchantment I happen to be carrying (stam, mag, or health). The only relevant magicka ability I used was Puncturing Sweeps, and only rarely.
Edited by ragnarok6644b14_ESO on June 29, 2016 11:46AM
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For all questing and solo content bar vma a hybrid build will work just fine. For any group content hybrids will hurt their group in all roles except tanks. Tanks are hybridy in that you can use stamina and magical skills for utility since you aren't worrying about doing damage. From the skills you have selected it seems you should focus on being a magicka tank with some stamina utility
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    1) utilize Puncturing Sweeps for solo play (this ability in solo PVE is hilarious). This is a magicka morph.

2) Utilize Sun Shield for general use (this ability and its morphs seem awesome). I don't believe there is a stamina morph for this (and it scales off of health).

3) use S&B abilities such as Invasion, Power Slam, and Absorb Magic. These are all stamina.

4) use Runic Focus and possibly off-bar heals, which would be magicka, for solo play, PVP, and emergency situations.
    Sounds like a great magicka templar tank to me.
    Edited by Acsvf on June 29, 2016 11:55AM
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • Hibbou
    Hibbou
    ✭✭✭
    there is only one build viable nowadays:
    -stam: heavy armor 2h + 1h and S
    -Magicka: heavy armor, healing staff + 1h and shield
  • ragnarok6644b14_ESO
    I played a magicka templar for a long while though and would likely not enjoy tanking with her. One use of Invasion+some good blocks just dumped her stamina all over the ground.

I really like powerslam and Pierce Armour and also blocking, but in my experience without putting anything into stamina then you get a couple of abilities and maybe a dodgeroll then you're empty. I don't want to focus all magicka.
  • marcusthebearhunter
    marcusthebearhunter
    ✭✭✭✭
    hybridd temp can be great my hybrid tem have 4200 weapon and magik damage 27 k stam 24 k magik and 23 k live i hit like atrain and db poisons dont hurt me in pvp ( more stame cost for me say hello too my darkflares and my jesusbeam ) and ive he use the magikdrain poison i hit him whit my stamspells
    only way is ebonheart
    we are ebonheart the dragonborn coverd in the blood our enemies
    nord templar marcus the bearhunter
    breton healer marcus the healer
    nord warden marcus the bearkeeper
    imperial nightblade marcus the shadow walker
  • Foxic
    Foxic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hibbou wrote: »
    there is only one build viable nowadays:
    -stam: heavy armor 2h + 1h and S
    -Magicka: heavy armor, healing staff + 1h and shield

What? Why on earth would you off bar resto or a 2h
    Mechanically Challenged, PCNA competitive raid guild

Head of The Council of Raiders

First NA vAS Hardmode(#2 world)

World First Immortal Redeemer & Saintly Savior

All #1 Trial scores Clockwork City patch

• psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only Hyrbid tanks are viable, I've tried building several but they always fall short and it's just a wasted time
  • WhoThenNow7
    WhoThenNow7
    ✭✭✭
    For a DPS build, no.. But for tank and utility, yes. I have a theory for a new build that I want to try. And my main goal and purpose is for it to be a group pvp build where it keeps the team alive by cc'ing and interrupting the attackers.
    Edited by WhoThenNow7 on June 29, 2016 5:55PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2016-06-29-18-44-11_zpsxb45b5h3.png

Lookin for insight and ideas. Here is my prototype, once armor is done and undaunted passives, it looks like it could be 23k magicka 36k stam (or 25k magick 34k stam etc...) and at least 3500 weapon dmg, it's not the armor I want for the back up yet.

It's twice born using serpent and mage mundus and would like to have x3/x4 flanking is an idea, x2 willpower robust and x1 kena, but could be malubeth x2, x2 willpower x5 twice born x2/x3 something good lol

Lot's of possibilities. Currently 5.5kish ward, could tweak it to a 7kish ward without sacrificing too much I bet

Edit: no dawnbreaker or fighter guild passives yet

Lookin for ideas please :)
    Edited by Waffennacht on June 30, 2016 1:14AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭

Lookin for insight and ideas. Here is my prototype, once armor is done and undaunted passives, it looks like it could be 23k magicka 36k stam (or 25k magick 34k stam etc...) and at least 3500 weapon dmg, it's not the armor I want for the back up yet.

It's twice born using serpent and mage mundus and would like to have x3/x4 flanking is an idea, x2 willpower robust and x1 kena, but could be malubeth x2, x2 willpower x5 twice born x2/x3 something good lol

Lot's of possibilities. Currently 5.5kish ward, could tweak it to a 7kish ward without sacrificing too much I bet

Pretty much the set up I use on my hybrid sorc.
    I currently have 28k magicka and stamina on my dw bar, with bound armaments. 3750 WD.
    With that magicka, my HW hits 8k in Cyro, but I'd like to tone my magicka pool down to 25k, letting me cast a 7.5k-ish HW, and bringing up stamina pool to 31-32.
    I use serpent and warrior currently, but I plan to switch with the +12% crit chance boon (I never remember which one it is between thief and shadow, lol) to make a better use of crit surge in pve (in cyro that skill sucks if you dont have any healing buff).
    With s&b I could hit 35k stam with 25k magicka front bar, but my damaging capabilities would take such a hit... Flurry is such a good skill (even if it suffers thick skinned cps) and the additional damage is prefereable...
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never understood why people wrote S&B when S&S would probably be faster to type...

I understand saying Sword and Board but Sword and Shield meh...

Idk I just prefer calling it what it's called.

Curious to see how long it will take you to do mundane things compared to someone with max magicka since max magicka templars will probably be more tanky than you simply because if run well they can't die anyway...

BUT RP gonna RP :smile:

Out of 11 chars only 1 use to be hybrid until recently... idk I just don't feel it anymore too confusing with what gear gets what enchant ect.
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It really depends on what abilities you plan on running on each bar, and how you want to play the alt.

If you're using both Magicka and stamina offensive abilites I recommend using pelinals with medium armor and flawless Dawnbreaker to achieve a decent damage on both parts.

Or are you trying to create a Stam Sorc which can have a strong shield? Then the spell damage wouldn't matter and you'd focus on raising your max magicka.

What race are you?
  • bigereard
    bigereard
    ✭✭
    Hi, just want to drop opinions:

I have PvP breton templar hybrid (RP reasons too), can be tweaked for dps-healer-tank

For total potential damage/heal, I think it more effective and efficient to stack one type of damage (I usually use weapon damage) and use pelinals set, rather than stack attributes.

For attributes we can use prismatic and split attribute point between mag and stam.

In this build:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3109583/#Comment_3109583
    Post # 44

I have total Damage/Heal Potential (I dunno the right word for it, so I'll call it 'potential' lol)of:
    Stamina Based: (up to 4700 weapon damage *10.46) + 17500 stamina = 66662
    Magicka Based: (up to 4700 spell damage*10.46) + 18000 magicka = 67162

Both potential can go up about 5000 if I use food instead drink, and about 9000 more if I use molag kena instead of malubeth.

I have this kind of sustain:
    Stamina regen= 1500+651(constitution) = 2151
    Magicka regen= 1200+651(constitution)+480(channeled focus) = 2331

Normal focused build usually have 80-95k Potential mag/stam, with 2k-3k mag/stam Regen.
    My build have both 66-81k potential with total combined sustain almost 3k-4.5k, and can combine most efficient abilities both magicka based and stamina based. (mostly low cost over time abilities, view the build link for details)

Because my main survival and DPS tools is over time abilities, I can also use heavy attack to regain resource (+50% with heavy armor) without really losing survival & DPS uptime.

And I still have:
    1) Moderate amount of Health (25-27k),
    2) High mitigation (Heavy+channeled focus+thick skin+ele def),
    3) Moderate crit rating (30%-40% both weapon & spell, more if I use dagger or/and precise, but usually I prefer axe for DoT),
    4) Good crit resistance (all impen).
    5) Good healing buff

What lacking in this build are:
    1) No cost reduction from armor
    2) No reliable burst damage and burst rotation
    3) Higher learning curve because a lot of weapon swapping, timing is very essential in this build, you cannot afford to lost resource in fruitless attempt especially when you using food-molag kena setup (81k potential).
    4) Lower overal penetration than focused build

This build can be tweaked a lot and adapt to any class, but we must carefully choose our abilities.
    Edited by bigereard on July 6, 2016 10:42PM
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    Never understood why people wrote S&B when S&S would probably be faster to type...

I understand saying Sword and Board but Sword and Shield meh...

Idk I just prefer calling it what it's called.

Curious to see how long it will take you to do mundane things compared to someone with max magicka since max magicka templars will probably be more tanky than you simply because if run well they can't die anyway...

BUT RP gonna RP :smile:

Out of 11 chars only 1 use to be hybrid until recently... idk I just don't feel it anymore too confusing with what gear gets what enchant ect.

I usually write s&b in this forum because it's used more often here. Tbh, I agree with you, it's hard for me to remember "s&b" since I come from the Monster Hunter series where it's called "s&s".

For the other matter: when it comes to hybrids, I don't think it's right to just consider the time it takes to do X. I'd rather say "with how much ease"...
    For example, with my stamblade it takes so much in terms of effort to complete vMA, while it is so much easier on my hybrid sorc, so much that I don't even have to remember each spawning pattern and can afford to make more than just a few mistakes.

I know it's all relative, it can depend on the class we're talking about, on the player's playstyle, the set up, on the content, etc., but for me, hybrid playstyle is what fits me best.

Plus, I think BoL will get nerfed, but that's another matter.
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want my main to be a everything. I want to be a star. I want to be a Twice-Born star.
  • seitekisaki
    seitekisaki
    ✭✭✭
    There is this https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/275822/are-hybrid-builds-viable#latest the set I guess allows a stamina build to hit a hard hitting magicka skill like you can probably use destro ult with your stam build effectively with the set.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He used to be my hybrid but I just changed him to full magicka build........still got all the stuff so will definitely go back when I get bored....had some nice (ish) stats tho

This is using Bahara's and destruction mastery set, 1 bar stam 1 bar mag and kena (proc'd here)

Screenshot_20170119_223440.png
    Edited by greylox on March 18, 2017 12:22PM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my current hybrid setup stats. While the max resources seem kinda low I usually deal the same amount of dps as with my stam sorc or mag sorc in longer group fights. But then again, I am not the best DD anyway, so what do I know.^^

Screenshot_20170319_100904_zpsoefqeqf1.png

The regen isn't a problem since I split the needed resources, crit is okay, self healing is great. BTW I don't use vma weapons because I didn't get the right ones yet. Also the shoulders aren't in divines and some armor isn't golded out yet.

Edit: just seen that this is a necro. sry pals.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on March 19, 2017 9:40AM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While it's an old thread I'ma post something I just saw earlier today and that actually looks amazingly efficient(for a hybrid build at the very least) o:
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-first-hybrid-sorcerer-dps-for-pve-content/