The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Still want a dragon as a mount

xboxone1Q
xboxone1Q
✭✭✭
Skyrim is coming back to celebrate it lets have that dragon mount! :}
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory response:

No flying mounts in general, because it would smash the game balance to bits.

No dragons in particular, because they've mostly been wiped out at this point in history and the rest are in hiding.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Obligatory response:

No flying mounts in general, because it would smash the game balance to bits.

No dragons in particular, because they've mostly been wiped out at this point in history and the rest are in hiding.

Balance?
    Edited by Roechacca on June 19, 2016 4:20PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Roechacca -

"Oh, brave hero, my daughter is being held by bandits up on that hill, please fight through them to save her!"

*Hero gets on mount, flies over the bandits in question, lands, grabs girl, flies back, skipping a huge swarm of mobs and a boss fight in the process*
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • MerkzM8
    MerkzM8
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't necessarily have to fly, it could just walk, or hover very slightly over the ground. I do however think the hit box should be exactly same as any other mount as in PvP it would be unfair.
    Edited by MerkzM8 on June 20, 2016 1:20AM
    "What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    xboxone1Q wrote: »
    Skyrim is coming back to celebrate it lets have that dragon mount! :}

Will you go play skyrim already? Or any other game that allows you to fly. Perhaps a pink unicorn with gold wings that farts rainbows would take your mind off dragons.There's another game out there that allows you to ride a T-REX THAT HAS LASERS!!!! Seriously, there is.

The few dragons who aren't dead are in hiding/out of sight after the Dragonguard killed every dragon they could find. With a very few exceptions until Alduin comes back, THERE ARE NO DRAGONS IN PLAIN SIGHT, let alone hundreds of them flying around with wannabe dovahkiin on their necks.

@Roechacca; I would be more worried that flying would *really* bork the game. There are a lot of places you have to hit a trigger point, a spot on the floor, a doorway, some particular dot to advance a quest. No trigger, no advance. Being able to fly would screw that up sooo badly....
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I get what you guys are saying. Balance was just a term that didn't make sense TO ME. Even though I personally don't care one way or another about mounts, other games have these "flying" mounts but they don't fly, they just hover to avoid the game problems you're describing. It's easy to implement in a game these days.

If you don't want them because they're annoying or lore breaking, I get that angle. But they wouldn't effect balance here.
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want $$$ as a mount with ZO$ logo on it! XD
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    No it would break the lore to have dragons in ESO.

\thread
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • negbert
    negbert
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only if I can get my adoring fan pet ;)
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time we do Vaults of Madness, I am always reminded how much I would love to have Iskra the Omen's smaller sibling to ride on.

It will never happen, but I can dream. :)
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • ForfiniteStories
    ForfiniteStories
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the OP is a very young person who has never played a TES game before Skyrim and on PC.
    No one else would say such a thing and phrase it that way.

Definitely not something to lose your cool over and take seriously.

I mean no offense, of course. Just an observation.

/thread
    Edited by ForfiniteStories on June 20, 2016 5:19PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the OP is a very young person who has never played a TES game before Skyrim and on PC.
    No one else would say such a thing and phrase it that way.

Definitely not something to lose your cool over and take seriously.

I mean no offense, of course. Just an observation.

/thread

He's asked for dragons, cows, whales, elephants, a camel with USA on the side, and a dragon that attacks everything.

You could be correct. On the other hand he could be trolling/baiting to see if anyone snaps at him. :shrug: He keeps getting the same, consistent replies about the timeline and dragons though, whether he believes it or not.
  • xboxone1Q
    xboxone1Q
    ✭✭✭
    But a least I'm right about that dragon mount :}
  • Crimsonwolf666
    Crimsonwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it would be lore breaking. You could probably get away with something that looks kinda like a dragon but doesn't fly. I think flying animations would be too much for the game to handle anyway. Wamasu mounts would probably be the closest you can ask for. Dragons that are still "alive" during this era in the game are "asleep" if you will. The won't be awakened until Alduin comes back to the world and awakens them.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Right about what? You haven't been right abpiut any of the mounts fitting in the game in any of the "I wanna ride X" threads from the start.

Here you go. http://dinostorm.com/en/

Look! Spots. http://dinostorm.com/en/online-3d-game/dinosaur-lexicon/tyrannosaurus-rex

This one is violet and purple and has horns! http://dinostorm.com/en/online-3d-game/dinosaur-lexicon/carnotaurus
  • xboxone1Q
    xboxone1Q
    ✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »

Right about what? You haven't been right abpiut any of the mounts fitting in the game in any of the "I wanna ride X" threads from the start.

Look! Spots. http://dinostorm.com/en/online-3d-game/dinosaur-lexicon/tyrannosaurus-rex

This one is violet and purple and has horns! http://dinostorm.com/en/online-3d-game/dinosaur-lexicon/carnotaurus
    But you do know it's the crown store right? Dragon mounts would be nice to see. About fitting in it we shouldn't be able to ride a bear or a wolf. Realistically I never seen people in real life ride a bear or a wolf. If you want to be technical about it we should only ride horses since that's what we ride in real life, but you know it's a game. You can ride whatever you want. :}
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Silt striders are much more reasonable in terms of theme.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you do know it's the crown store right? Dragon mounts would be nice to see. About fitting in it we shouldn't be able to ride a bear or a wolf. Realistically I never seen people in real life ride a bear or a wolf. If you want to be technical about it we should only ride horses since that's what we ride in real life, but you know it's a game. You can ride whatever you want. :}

Ohh I see the confusion. It's okay, not everybody understand how good fiction is supposed to work.

There is a thing called "inner consistency", which is different although derived from "realism". In short, it is what makes sense inside the given universe, which not necessarily matches what makes sense in our universe, especially when we are talking about a fantasy setting.

Inner consistency is "the realism of a fictional universe". In TES, it makes sense for them to ride a dire wolf or a bear, even if we do not ride them in real life. However, in TES, it does not make sense for us to ride dragons at this time period and not being dragonborns.

Dragons are not regular animals like giant wolves, horses, bears and the like. They are immensely intelligent and powerful creatures, and in Skyrim, you need to literally bend their will to be able to ride them (either through a shout or through a deal, like with Odahviing), and even so, it is just for a short period of time. I won't get into more detail as to not confuse you too much, but there is a belief in the TES universe that dragons are minor deities or an aspect of a major deity (depends on who you ask).

And there is the problem that the remaining dragons are either dead or hiding right now, like many people told you already. It would break the inner consistency of the TES universe to have a bunch of people riding dragons around the world, because they are not supposed to be up and about right now in the timeline.

Another issue is that they are too big and would take too much space on cities. And no, there are not "younger, smaller dragons" you could tame (or "enslave", which would be a better term) because dragons in TES do not have a life cycle of birth and growth like we do.

Last but not least, there is the gameplay issue. For flying mounts to work in a game the game must have been developed with them in mind, which isn't the case of ESO. The divisions between maps, the way taking keeps in Cyrodiil work, quest objectives that need you to pass through a certain point, it all would have to be reworked. The game would have to be pretty much redone from the ground up to accommodate flying mounts.

So no, unfortunately for you, you can't ride anything you want, even if you don't care about inner consistency.

If you are still confused or have any questions, I would love to help :)
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You might have never seen anyone ride a bear. Honestly, it isn't a normal beast of burden. However it has been done. NOT THE TV SERIES; look for information on the real Grizzly Adams. He raised a bear cub, taught it to follow him, taught it to carry his saddlebags/packs, and eventually to let him ride.

Wolves in our world are not suitable as mounts either. And riding large predatory cats would be a bad thing.

However in the game world, real world stuff doesn't apply. The history/lore/inner logic of the game world applies.

Senche are mounts. Giant wolves can be ridden. One of the stable masters says he can sometimes arrange to get a bear mount from Orsinium. You find books in Wrothgar that tell about the old orc kings and their epic bear mounts. Dragons exist in the game; however the inner logic/lore of the game world sets them up as the former rulers over humans and mer. Slaves don't ride their masters. If the dragons were still around and active, there wouldn't be humans or mer riding them. Since the humans and mer rebelled and starting killing the dragons, they are even less likely to allow riders. Since all but a few dragons are in hiding or dead until Alduin returns, THERE WOULD NOT BE HUNDREDS OF DRAGONS FLYING AROUND WITH WANNA BE DOVAHKIIN HANGING ON THEIR NECKS.

I don't care what is in the crown store. Dragon mounts should not be in the game.