Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skillpoints used?

Neofit
Neofit
Hi,

My main is only level 9, so please be gentle. Breton Sorcerer, I've seen Stros Mkay, Betnikh and am running around Daggerfall city atm. I've created alts for storage and crafting. I've been reading about how skill points are working, and how to use crafting alts.

There is one thing I don't understand, with around 300 SP, how is it that everyone is saying that there is never enough of them? Even if I don't do PvP or dungeons for instance, there are still 200ish left. TESO is not like EQ2, WOW or LOTRO where you can have multiple 10-key hotbars all usable at one, you have 5+1. That's 12 SPs with everything morphed. At 15 I'll have a second weapon, that's potentially 12 more SPs, 24 total.

How many other skills does one usually keep for flexibility? I'll take a stab in the dark and say a couple of extra hotbars, so that's another 24 SP for a total of 48. Or do you keep many more? At 100g per SP to respec, I don't think people keep too many unused skills, do they? Or is it the passives that use most of the SPs?

What am I missing here? I'd prefer it if I could do all my crafting on one toon, and a quick newbie look at a skill calculator says that it is totally possible, but I am probably missing a big chunk of info, so please correct me.

Best Answers

• RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neofit wrote: »
    Hi,

My main is only level 9, so please be gentle. Breton Sorcerer, I've seen Stros Mkay, Betnikh and am running around Daggerfall city atm. I've created alts for storage and crafting. I've been reading about how skill points are working, and how to use crafting alts.

There is one thing I don't understand, with around 300 SP, how is it that everyone is saying that there is never enough of them? Even if I don't do PvP or dungeons for instance, there are still 200ish left. TESO is not like EQ2, WOW or LOTRO where you can have multiple 10-key hotbars all usable at one, you have 5+1. That's 12 SPs with everything morphed. At 15 I'll have a second weapon, that's potentially 12 more SPs, 24 total.

How many other skills does one usually keep for flexibility? I'll take a stab in the dark and say a couple of extra hotbars, so that's another 24 SP for a total of 48. Or do you keep many more? At 100g per SP to respec, I don't think people keep too many unused skills, do they? Or is it the passives that use most of the SPs?

What am I missing here? I'd prefer it if I could do all my crafting on one toon, and a quick newbie look at a skill calculator says that it is totally possible, but I am probably missing a big chunk of info, so please correct me.

With DLCs like Orsinium and Imperial City (and Cyrodiil which both are PvP zones with PvE content) there have been added Skyshards into this game (and quests), so it is not unlikely that in the very beginning of this game that those people where right about the limitation on how many Skill Points you could spend on passives/active skill at that time. It also depends a bit, if you are able to go to those zones.

With Orsinium you can now more or less go there with your level 9 character and be scaled up (battle level) to CP160 level, but that doesn't mean that it be easy to stay alive or fight things when you lack a second bar and don't yet have access to all of your passives to help you with resource management or class/weapon skills to use.

Do at least finish Main Quest (with the Prophet at Harbourage) which later will give you access to Cadwell Silver and Cadwell Gold. Cadwell Silver means that you now will be able to continue as part of another Alliance the same way as you first started your character and will now have access to all Devles with Skyshards, all quests which some will rewards you with skill point and Skyshards around for that Alliance.

If do find a group in chat or are in a Guild you can also do quests in group Dungeons and later do Pledges (have be lvl 45 and start the Undaunted quest chain). First time you deliver quests to quest giver or who ever it is you to talk to finish quest in Dungeon you will get SP. Make sure that your group know that you need to talk with NPC for quests during some stages, so you will not fall back and that you will need to have someone in group to stay until you have finished talking with the last NPC so you will not be removed from dungeon. If you leave group in Dungeon or group kick you (or disband), game will remove you form that dungeon back to where you where before you got transported into Dungeon. There is also Skyshards in some group Dungeons and lorebooks (important to gain rank in Mages Guild skill line).

To sum it up:
    If you only stay in your own alliance, never continue Mages Guild/Fighters Guild quest and Main Quest, never go into group dungeons of any kind, don't have any DLCs and don't do PvP (or even try to get Skyshards in Cyrodiil), then it might be really hard to have enough skill points in the end. The real trouble today isn't having enough skill points, but to gain champion points as there are very large group of player with maxed champion point of 501 (=167 x 3) which adds another layer to how your character will work. Champion points unlock passives at 10, 30, 75 and 120 points which change how you might want to make use of your passives and active skill.

EDIT:

Put some skill points into Crafting

Forgot to add that you really should invest at least in consumables like Provisioning (at least for increased duration up to 20 min on food/drinks which you need have rank in to be able to fully unlock), same for alchemy with "medicinal use" passive for 30% more duration.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Alchemy+Skills

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Provisioning
    Edited by RexyCat on June 18, 2016 10:01AM
    Answer ✓
  • Neofit
    Neofit
    Thank you for the reply. One question remains though. I still don't understand, with only two 6-key hotbars, where do all the SPs go?
    Answer ✓
  • JustSnilloc
    JustSnilloc
    ✭✭✭
    Passives
    [J.S.] The Lost King --->
    http://justsnilloc.proboards.com/
    http://justsnilloc.deviantart.com/
    ~ 0==={{:::::::::::::::x:::::::::::::::}}===0 ~
    Answer ✓
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    The skill points go into crafting and passives. Just take a look at one craft and add up how many skill points it would take to max everything. There are plenty of skill points eventually however as you're levelling you need to pick and choose a bit eg too many skill points into crafting will seriously limit your combat. For crafting you want to put skill points in to allow you to research more items at once and reduce research times, after that I'd concentrate on your build and put extra skill points into crafting as you see fit. What tends to happen as you are levelling is that you unlock better skills than you are currently using so you spend a skill point on the new skill, as it costs quite a bit to respec your skill points and gold is in short supply early on you end up with skill points tied up in skills you're no longer using
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673