Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 16:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why isn't moonstone the altmer crafting material?

• Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RealLifeRedguard wrote:

I really hate resorting to "the people of Auridon don't use moonstone and the only altmer gear we'll ever see in the world are from Auridon and not the mainland" explanation, but it's the best we've got.

It's a small nit but I'm still going to point out that there is no Altmer mainland. It is the Summerset Isles and the largest is called Summerset. We've never seen it in any TES game (that I am aware of I hasten to say before some loregeek corrects me).
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While this doesn't answer anything, aren't the Khajiit simply Mer mutated by Azurah to be the cat version of a ninja turtle? Setting that aside, I have to agree I was confused as well about the way elven armor was handled. Then again I don't understand all the metal types that are available. There are so many that surpass Daedric/Ebony and that probably bothers me more. We're also missing Bonemould, and Chitin, though we do have Glass now, but it is simply a style and not a material. Given the potency of glass armor in the past making it a motif seems odd. Level 1 Glass just seems weird to me.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Jone and Jode, this one thought it would be obvious, yes?

So because it has the word "moon" in the name it belongs to the khajiit?

Pretty much. The game has kind of made the Khajiit obsessed with those two circularly enticing cosmic planes.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aeladiir wrote: »

Wow. So it is the same thing. So, every altmer is wearing adamantium armor? That's pretty badass, but also pretty overpowered lore-wise. Not sure why they switched to Moonstone later on.
    This isnt' Marvel, Adamantium in ES is just another material that is inferior to Ebony so it's not OP.

• TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So, barring the pretty good in-game explanations we've all come up with to explain this, why do you think Zenimax made the decision to switch moonstone from altmer to khajiit? Also, what is adamantite? Is there any lore on it? In ESO particularly. Is it the same as adamantium?

Edit: UESP seems to think adamantium and adamantite are the same thing en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Adamantium_Ore#Adamantium_Ore

I have trouble believing this though. Isn't adamantium the strongest metal known to men and mer? I feel like moonstone would be much cheaper to work with than giving everyone in your army adamantium.
    "Isn't adamantium the strongest metal known to men and mer?"
    As I said in my last Post, this isn't Marvel or anything, Adamantium in ES is just another cheap metal that is outclassed by Ebony.

Edited by TX12001rwb17_ESO on June 12, 2016 2:09AM
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    Aeladiir wrote: »

Wow. So it is the same thing. So, every altmer is wearing adamantium armor? That's pretty badass, but also pretty overpowered lore-wise. Not sure why they switched to Moonstone later on.
    So, barring the pretty good in-game explanations we've all come up with to explain this, why do you think Zenimax made the decision to switch moonstone from altmer to khajiit? Also, what is adamantite? Is there any lore on it? In ESO particularly. Is it the same as adamantium?

Edit: UESP seems to think adamantium and adamantite are the same thing en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Adamantium_Ore#Adamantium_Ore

I have trouble believing this though. Isn't adamantium the strongest metal known to men and mer? I feel like moonstone would be much cheaper to work with than giving everyone in your army adamantium.
    "Isn't adamantium the strongest metal known to men and mer?"
    As I said in my last Post, this isn't Marvel or anything, Adamantium in ES is just another cheap metal that is outclassed by Ebony.

Being one class below ebony still isn't anything to scoff at, seeing as though ebony is literally the "black blood of the gods". As I recall from Morrowind, it's the best medium armor in the world except for the indoril armor which is illegal to wear, and much more enchantable than anything else.
    #MakeSummersetGreatAgain! http://bit.ly/1sphMz7
  • RealLifeRedguard
    RealLifeRedguard
    ✭✭✭
    While this doesn't answer anything, aren't the Khajiit simply Mer mutated by Azurah to be the cat version of a ninja turtle? Setting that aside, I have to agree I was confused as well about the way elven armor was handled. Then again I don't understand all the metal types that are available. There are so many that surpass Daedric/Ebony and that probably bothers me more. We're also missing Bonemould, and Chitin, though we do have Glass now, but it is simply a style and not a material. Given the potency of glass armor in the past making it a motif seems odd. Level 1 Glass just seems weird to me.

That's a good point. The dunmer using obsidian instead of bonemould or something is weird as well. I was hoping we'd see more of their classic insectoid armor. The dunmer crafting style is just boring to me and doesn't fit them at all.
    #MakeSummersetGreatAgain! http://bit.ly/1sphMz7