The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we just admit that removing soft caps was a mistake and revert back to the way it used to be?

Huggalump
Huggalump
✭✭✭✭
It's becoming more and more obvious with every major patch. The game was built from the foundation of using soft caps so players have a mix of resources. When you have soft caps, the game makes sense. When you remove soft caps, the game no longer makes sense, as it hasn't for ages.

Race balance makes sense with soft caps. Sure, High Elves still make a better magic race with soft caps, but the difference is minimal. The magic bonuses don't give you much of an EXTRA resource regen bonus, it just helps yo hit the cap faster. If you play high elf and switch to a stamina focus, you still get benefit from your magic bonuses because you're still using magic ability under a soft cap system.

If we're using soft caps, the whole class/weapon skill tree system makes sense. Rather than having people split entirely into either magic or stamina, everyone is somewhere along the slider scale between each. Everyone uses some class abilities and some weapon abilities. Suddenly things like Stamina Sorcs make perfect sense under the soft cap system because they can still get use out of their class abilities. Without soft caps, Stam sorcs make no god damn sense in this game because there's virtually no class abilities they get use out of and every patch is making it clear that the devs realize this doesn't make sense.

With soft caps, the game suddenly feels like an Elder Scrolls game again, because you're encouraged to use a mix of magic and physical attacks. We don't have to do the insane mental gymnastics of trying to make stamina DKs make sense by switching their fire abilities to poison and then switching poison to act just like physical attacks. With soft caps, it naturally works.

So how about it? Can we put aside the internal politics or grand experiment or whatever ridiculousness it was that led to wiping out soft caps, the system that the game was built on? Can we just do what needs to be done so the game can function?

Thanks.
Edited by Huggalump on May 31, 2016 7:50PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, I think more and more people are coming to this conclusion.

The controls have to go somewhere. If you don't control resources, damage, and regen, then you have to limit individual skills.

This leads to nerf after nerf of exciting and class defining skills making the game more boring and limited. We get cooldowns in a game designed with no cooldowns.

Any skill or mechanic has the potential to become OP if you can cast it unlimited times due to out of control resources and regen. That's why we got stacking costs on dodge rolling, sorc bolt escape, etc. These things were all naturally limited by resource and attribute caps in 1.5 and were fine.

Removing softcaps made shield strength go out of control, damage go out of control, healing, etc. When you have to reduce your healing, shields and damage by 50% in cyrodiil, you know somethings wrong.

So ZOS can either get a handle on resources, regen, and (most importantly) the scaling of skills with high resource pools, or continue to water down the classes with skill nerfs and cooldowns.

Which sounds more fun to you?
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on May 31, 2016 8:01PM
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree 100% but they can never go back. It would be a nerf to everybody and everybody would complain because they couldnt be a Super Hero anymore. I have never played a MMO where a player could do so much with one character and be so powerful. Characters have become insanely OP. Unbelieveable survivability, healing, damage reduction, sustain, damage and mobility can all be achieved on some builds. Its so ridiculously stupid. It may work with single player games but a horrible game design for a MMO.
  • Birdovic
    Birdovic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course going back to soft caps is the solution.

BUT: Doing so is admitting they're at fault, right...? So yeah, wont happen.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. It wont happen. Sadly.

But I hope they'll change the scaling mechanic one day : less reward the more stat/damage you have in comparison to the effect with low stat. Example : if a magicka skill give you 1000 damage with 10k magicka, 4000 with 25k magicka and 9000 damage with 45k magicka, give it a huge boost to base power and a nerf to scaling, to bring it at 3000 damage with 10k and 6000 at 25k, with still 9000 at 45k magicka.
    Like that, hybrid may be useful because they won't loose so much, and they'll be able to use both stam and mag skill. And they don't really need to nerf everybody for that.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    QQers be damn, bring back soft caps and shut everyone up at once.
    No more OP characters (barring exploits like CE which are their own problem)
    No more racial/class imbalances
    No more need of crappy band-aid fixes like Battle Spirit.
    Argonian forever
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS: Admit a mistake?!? Nevah!
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Many of the nerfs and changes we've been punished with over the past year are due to the soft cap removal and introduction of the CP system. Everyone knows it. ZoS knows it. They won't admit a mistake. Ever.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please do. It was a silly change that has distorted the entire game to the benefit of a few.

While we're at it, please also remove gap closer mini stun. It takes the quality of solo/small group from a 7/10 to a 2/10.

And AOE caps.

All of these are just horrendus gameplay mechanics that deteriorate the user experience.

If DB wasnt out today to test out the new balance, I would be quiting again. There is almost no joy in this game if you aren't in a zerg anymore in pvp. I still encourage new players NOT to start playing, and I encourage people NOT to buy DB in protest. I haven't bought anything new since Orsinium and it has not affected my overall pvp experience.
    Edited by Cathexis on May 31, 2016 9:47PM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been saying this for like the last year and a half. Soft Caps should have never been removed.
  • Talemire
    Talemire
    ✭✭✭
    Meh... I don't know what all the big fuss is, really. Every single one of you are on the same playing field as the next person, and every single one of you can achieve certain numbers if you spec for it. In fact, the removal of soft caps is why I like this game so much. It takes the cookie-cutter factor out of it and makes you sit and think more about how you want to build your character. While, at times, it appears as if players can be a jack of all trades, master of all, that's not the case. I've seen plenty of people who spec towards full dps go down like a ragdoll when they are pressed. Same goes with tanks... You'll never kill them, but they'll probably never kill you either. If you're having issues, go back to the drawing boards or something... Depending in what you want to do in the game, I guarantee there's something in your spec that can be tweaked with more thought put into it.
    Edited by Talemire on May 31, 2016 10:06PM
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoyJade wrote: »
    No. It wont happen. Sadly.

But I hope they'll change the scaling mechanic one day : less reward the more stat/damage you have in comparison to the effect with low stat. Example : if a magicka skill give you 1000 damage with 10k magicka, 4000 with 25k magicka and 9000 damage with 45k magicka, give it a huge boost to base power and a nerf to scaling, to bring it at 3000 damage with 10k and 6000 at 25k, with still 9000 at 45k magicka.
    Like that, hybrid may be useful because they won't loose so much, and they'll be able to use both stam and mag skill. And they don't really need to nerf everybody for that.

This is actually the correct way to fix things. If people want to run around with 50k magicka thats fine. but they shouldn't have god tier shields and damage because of it. Instead of the terrible battle spirit nerfs to heals, damage, and shields, they just need to tweak the scaling to give you diminishing returns (in scaling) after stacking so much of one attribute. They could just do this in PvP only so the little precious snowflakes in PvE still feel powerful. Then just battle spirit nerf regen across the board and its almost a good as softcaps.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love to see softcaps back.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really liked softcaps, but there were several issues with them. If ZOS would balance things out, then I'm in.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You mean like a normal responsible game? This game takes all the progress that has been made in other games, ignores that progress and acts like they are special snowflaking when in fact they are just being irresponsible. Without soft caps it's kinda like "cheat engine" is already a part of the base game.

Maybe they could balance the game without softcaps but are they doing it? heck no, they are not even trying. Case in point well fitted. Do we really need more dodge roll on top of our dodge roll?
    Edited by Armitas on May 31, 2016 10:58PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Softcaps ? Hhhm.

I dont think limiters in the way they were implemented is much better TBH.
    The main problem is the range of any resource.
    10,000- 40,000 on any resource is too big a range between min and max
    Make it 15,000-25,000 and you instantly go from a 4x multiplyer to a 1.6x multiplyer and the difference between player potential sustain/scaling is bought back into line.

ie its the difference between the best and the worst values which is the issue.
    Throw in a CS +50% and you have a slowburn timebomb.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on May 31, 2016 11:04PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • cosmic_niklas_93b16_ESO
    cosmic_niklas_93b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talemire wrote: »
    Meh... I don't know what all the big fuss is, really. Every single one of you are on the same playing field as the next person, and every single one of you can achieve certain numbers if you spec for it. In fact, the removal of soft caps is why I like this game so much. It takes the cookie-cutter factor out of it and makes you sit and think more about how you want to build your character. While, at times, it appears as if players can be a jack of all trades, master of all, that's not the case. I've seen plenty of people who spec towards full dps go down like a ragdoll when they are pressed. Same goes with tanks... You'll never kill them, but they'll probably never kill you either. If you're having issues, go back to the drawing boards or something... Depending in what you want to do in the game, I guarantee there's something in your spec that can be tweaked with more thought put into it.

Maybe in PvP it's like that, but for PvE it's all 100% dps that matters, if you got super high dps, all is dead before you'll need healing etc.
    R.I.P. Daranth Spellborn
    VR16 Dunmer Sorcerer
    March 2014 - May 2016
    He was a skilled Crafter and a reliable Sorcerer;
    Then came the Dark Brotherhood

Wrobel wrote: Surge is now more effective for tank characters.
    Because crit tanks are so good, LOL. xD
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talemire wrote: »

Maybe in PvP it's like that, but for PvE it's all 100% dps that matters, if you got super high dps, all is dead before you'll need healing etc.

thing is. ZoS had been trying to balance the game around the removal of soft caps. if they brought soft caps back they'd have to re-balance the game around soft caps. it would be counter productive at this point.

Main issue is, they don't how to balance the game period.
    Invictus
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only two real big problems I see atm for the general game mechanics are:
    1. Stacking into high DPS is also stacking in high self-HPS
    2. The cheating players confusing the real picture we can get about the game, blurring a good judgment.

EDIT:
    In the big thread about soft caps of @DeanTheCat , I already expressed my general opinion, that soft caps are restricting to play as you want in high diversity, are too much of a rough remedy, too much crutches, and only fit for a temporarily quick fix. I think the most "natural" way is to add a penalty to extreme builds that become OP, (like for example DPS/self-HPS), by making resource sustain more expensive (besides tackling the 100% coupling of very high DPS with very high self-HPS mentioned above).
    1. very high DPS ? Fine for a burst, but little resource sustain and little damage mitigation.
    2. high sustainable DPS ? Fine, but little damage mitigation
    3. medium DPS ? Fine, but that should enable good sustain with good damage mitigation
    4. etc
    Perhaps we should remove the stun you get when your heavy melee attack is blocked, making melee heavy attacks more viable for resource sustain, and also dilute the DPS/self-HPS of a player that is forced to do time consuming heavy attacks after the initial burst, because his resources run dry.
    Just remember all the Resto heavy attacks two years ago, so much needed because we had at that time not the Magicka resource sustain to do continuously casted abilities.
    Besides HA to restore resources on an individual basis, the other fundamental resource generator should be the Group resource sustain buffs. We have them now already with Siphon Spirit, Elemental Drain, Worms Rayment, Hircines Veneer. More and/or higher Group buffs will encourage good cooperating of Groups.

Edited by hrothbern on June 1, 2016 7:46AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »
    The only two real big problems I see atm for the general game mechanics are:
    1. Stacking into high DPS is also stacking in high self-HPS
    2. The cheating players confusing the real picture we can get about the game, blurring a good judgment.

EDIT:
    In the big thread about soft caps of @DeanTheCat , I already expressed my general opinion, that soft caps are restricting to play as you want in high diversity, are too much of a rough remedy, too much crutches, and only fit for a temporarily quick fix. I think the most "natural" way is to add a penalty to extreme builds that become OP, (like for example DPS/self-HPS), by making resource sustain more expensive (besides tackling the 100% coupling of very high DPS with very high self-HPS mentioned above).
    1. very high DPS ? Fine for a burst, but little resource sustain and little damage mitigation.
    2. high sustainable DPS ? Fine, but little damage mitigation
    3. medium DPS ? Fine, but that should enable good sustain with good damage mitigation
    4. etc
    Perhaps we should remove the stun you get when your heavy melee attack is blocked, making melee heavy attacks more viable for resource sustain, and also dilute the DPS/self-HPS of a player that is forced to do time consuming heavy attacks after the initial burst, because his resources run dry.
    Just remember all the Resto heavy attacks two years ago, so much needed because we had at that time not the Magicka resource sustain to do continuously casted abilities.
    Besides HA to restore resources on an individual basis, the other fundamental resource generator should be the Group resource sustain buffs. We have them now already with Siphon Spirit, Elemental Drain, Worms Rayment, Hircines Veneer. More and/or higher Group buffs will encourage good cooperating of Groups.

Some of the things you state is why I have suggested that the Health stat while not directly effecting damage could/should increase overall Regeneration of stats (Health/Mag/Regen). In this way a Healthy warrior type Tank character would have more resources but lower damage output, giving him the staying power style you'd expect, while the burst style would blow a fuse faster, and something in between would be the 'balanced' build. It would also make the desire to go 'all in' on your damage stat at a certain point less desirable if they did this, and create more options in character builds.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ABL
    ABL
    ✭✭
    What is amazing is that they have kept the 50% resistance caps.

Recently the game prevents the regeneration of the force when you block.

In pvp it removes any possibility for tanks classes to resist the classes doing damage.

The result is that the exchanges between players have become short and brutal confrontation.

I feel that they want their game becomes a shoot 'em up where you come after your day's work to discharge your energy quickly for an hour ...

I still remember the satisfaction questionnaires beta of the game. I was validating the box without hesitation, "Yes, I intend to stay on this game eternally" ...

Today I am disgusted by the successive castration of the only one character i have, a Nightblade tank class, since the beginning of the game.
    Edited by ABL on June 27, 2016 12:32PM
    Images not allowed. You can use BBCode in your post. Sad forum.
  • ABL
    ABL
    ✭✭
    I think it is time that ZeniMax make a class system with restriction on skills, armor and weapons.

3 branches should be offered for each class healer, dps, tank and imposing unique skills for each branch.

Each branch would have proper weapon style, the staffs for healers and mages, shields for tanks, DAMAGE weapons for dps.

At end it will permeet to manage the resource regeneration for each class.

And may be, at that time, heavy armor will be useful to someone.

Ends the Clone Wars and hello specific classes.

In the same style but differently we can even go further by imposing a job by class and by giving 3 choices of orientation class.

Dk which a tank, a Templar who heal, a mage dps, a Nightblade that dps. I really think that was the goal at the beginning of the game.

For dk tank there would be a control voice, another survival, last dps.

And we take the idea to other classes with the same system of skills,weapon,armors restrictions.

The slogan that said "made the class you want" no longer works, because either you are a victim (I want to do a heavily armored knight to be the sturdiest but i have no regen nor toughness) or you are a clone (I am a healer, who makes range damage that tank in dungeon and with short skirt please).

A french in fire.
    Images not allowed. You can use BBCode in your post. Sad forum.
  • juhasman
    juhasman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soft caps times was really nice. But in the current state of the game I think it would be impossible to bring them back. There was too many changes in the game after 1.6.
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best thing is to do is completely rework cp trees players do to much damage the 4 man dungeons are easier with 3 dps and either a tank or healer and in pvp burst build have to much sustain so it makes sustain builds useless
    DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO. Soft caps were horrible and none of you guys seem to remember why they got rid of them in the first place. You would constantly run out of resources just trying to accomplish the most basic open world content. Just taking down a single troll in a VR zone (never mind a world boss or dolmen) was hazardous if you were trying to do it solo, which almost everyone was.

What you guys need to wrap your head around is that ZOS finally figured out the primary market for ESO is Elder Scrolls fans, players who are used to the power level you have when playing Oblivion or Skyrim. Furthermore, removing soft caps would be an unforgivable slap in the face to everyone who spent thousands of hours grinding CP, because the Champion System would be crippled with soft caps.

Face it: soft caps aren't coming back.... EVER. Please quit making these pointless threads, so I can quit responding to them.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NO. Soft caps were horrible and none of you guys seem to remember why they got rid of them in the first place. You would constantly run out of resources just trying to accomplish the most basic open world content. Just taking down a single troll in a VR zone (never mind a world boss or dolmen) was hazardous if you were trying to do it solo, which almost everyone was.

What you guys need to wrap your head around is that ZOS finally figured out the primary market for ESO is Elder Scrolls fans, players who are used to the power level you have when playing Oblivion or Skyrim. Furthermore, removing soft caps would be an unforgivable slap in the face to everyone who spent thousands of hours grinding CP, because the Champion System would be crippled with soft caps.

Face it: soft caps aren't coming back.... EVER. Please quit making these pointless threads, so I can quit responding to them.

Soft caps are needed, no matter much you may dislike them. You should run out of resources during a fight and have to rely on your light/heavy attacks until you regain stamina/magicka, the game was intended that way.

And no, you can't compare the current power level in ESO to a singleplayer game like Skyrim.
    Edited by Kendaric on June 27, 2016 2:23PM
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • cosmic_niklas_93b16_ESO
      cosmic_niklas_93b16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Kendaric wrote: »

Soft caps are needed, no matter much you may dislike them. You should run out of resources during a fight and have to rely on your light/heavy attacks until you regain stamina/magicka, the game was intended that way.

And no, you can't compare the current power level in ESO to a singleplayer game like Skyrim.

Well, tbh the game is like a singleplayer game now in open world PvE, so I guess it's comparable, although them being comparable is just sad when one is supposed to be an MMO and the other a singleplayer RPG.
      R.I.P. Daranth Spellborn
      VR16 Dunmer Sorcerer
      March 2014 - May 2016
      He was a skilled Crafter and a reliable Sorcerer;
      Then came the Dark Brotherhood

Wrobel wrote: Surge is now more effective for tank characters.
      Because crit tanks are so good, LOL. xD
    • idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      OP's premise is false and as such there is no basis for discussion.

When there were soft caps players mostly chose to go for s pure build vs a hybrid. There were players who tried and played hybrid builds but those builds were weaker, with soft caps on place.

Today there are players who still run with hybrids because they want to. However, removing the soft caps will not make them as, or even close to, as viable as pure builds.

If OP comes up with a valid reason for removing the soft caps then we can discuss. Please edit the OP with the new premise if this occurs.

Thx.
    • Vidahr
      Vidahr
      ✭✭✭
      lucky_Sage wrote: »
      I think the best thing is to do is completely rework cp trees players do to much damage the 4 man dungeons are easier with 3 dps and either a tank or healer and in pvp burst build have to much sustain so it makes sustain builds useless

Could implement tank checks on all boss monsters.
    • Erock25
      Erock25
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Would love some softcaps back. Implement softcaps and remove all the stupid major/minor buffing system (yes you can do that with softcaps in check).
      You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
      You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points