The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What's with these awful Templars?!

Snape2255
Snape2255
✭✭✭
All I have been seeing recently is a horde of Templars who enter any fight only using Jesus Beam. Like seriously...I could be on my sorc, full health and full shields with NO ONE around me and a Templar just starts popping Jesus Beam on me. What's the deal with that?! I've basically got 200% health at that time, how is Jesus Beam effective for them whatsoever?

As someone whose first character was a Templar, and who mains one quite regularly, it frustrates me to no end to see this. I use the skill myself but if I see their health go anywhere above the 30% mark I cancel it immediately because there are more effective skills to use at that point. Even if they dark flare spammed it wouldn't bother me as much, it's just this mass of Templars who spam nothing but Jesus Beam even when you're full health. They're always v16s too. Like seriously guys this tickles me and you're on your own, or no one else is attacking me. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

It frustrates me just to see play so shockingly awful. Take yourselves to the side and have a word. Soon.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this?
The name is Snape. Full time Banana fighting for his Queen and Country. Favourite hobby; killing the cowardly Covenant and Pact infidels threat.

Predominantly PVP based player running various characters. Mostly Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer and Stamina Templar.

Proud Right-Hand Man of The Saints Knights and Sergeant-At-Arms of The Yellow Army.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you often dodge roll, break LoS and/or use Shuffle?

If so, spamming an ability that can't be dodged makes sense.
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    So much salt

It's endearing seeing someone who supports these players, shows who the easy targets are.

The fact of the matter is that these players NEVER pose a threat. They are easily dispatched and never play their char effectively. The only time I've seen them kill someone is when in the middle of a huge Zerg. When alone they melt in seconds, even in their heals, because they can't play efficiently. It's a shame really.

It figures though that they're always amongst the red Zerg, coincidentally the biggest. Unfortunately the number of players amongst that Zerg who can actually play well alone are minimal.
    The name is Snape. Full time Banana fighting for his Queen and Country. Favourite hobby; killing the cowardly Covenant and Pact infidels threat.

Predominantly PVP based player running various characters. Mostly Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer and Stamina Templar.

Proud Right-Hand Man of The Saints Knights and Sergeant-At-Arms of The Yellow Army.
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭

I do, yes, however if any of the remotely decent Templars I play with/against can adjust accordingly, I find it difficult to believe that the vast majority have to resort to the spam of that skill.

The shuffle dodge exploit is the biggest thing to overcome, however it's still doable and if you're playing effectively you can melt people without having to spam Jesus Beam. It just seems that they can only run in zergs and spam that, if they're caught alone they don't know what to do :/

• outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    No... no... they should call it the James T. Kirk beam, he got all the blonde, green and purple chicks and could dodge any dangerous situation, what a boss.

[Removed inappropriate content]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 29, 2016 5:11PM
  • Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No... no... they should call it the James T. Kirk beam, he got all the blonde, green and purple chicks and could dodge any dangerous situation, what a boss.

wat?
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 29, 2016 5:13PM
  • outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    Firerock2 wrote: »

wat?

Radiant destruction aka jezus beam.
    Edited by [Deleted User] on May 29, 2016 5:13PM
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snape2255 wrote: »

I do, yes, however if any of the remotely decent Templars I play with/against can adjust accordingly, I find it difficult to believe that the vast majority have to resort to the spam of that skill.

The shuffle dodge exploit is the biggest thing to overcome, however it's still doable and if you're playing effectively you can melt people without having to spam Jesus Beam. It just seems that they can only run in zergs and spam that, if they're caught alone they don't know what to do :/
    I personally don't see any issues with them spamming it under those circumstances because you're trying to gain an advantage by dodging their abilities and they're countering that by using one which can't be dodged, rather than wasting resources on spamming something like that doesn't hit and drains their resources anyway.

If they're spamming it when you're not trying to evade or you're in their face then it's different.

P.S. I don't know if you intended to but your penultimate sentence reads like you're admitting you're using the Shuffle exploit.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I have been seeing recently is a horde of Templars who enter any fight only using Jesus Beam.

Aren't they the cutest little angels on the battlefield? 1.0
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They see the 20K tick on their death recap and think it's OP. They get their healer out and slot it. Spam away hoping someone will WB or frag you. Easy tactic.

Isn't that obvious?
    PC EU
  • Skitttles
    Skitttles
    ✭✭✭✭
    Should be called steezus beam for its dank face melting powers.
    Skittles | DC Stem Sok and sumtimes Nertbled
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have hit it by mistake in the heat of a battle too early and felt like a dumby lol, not very usefull above 30 percent. :|
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reevster wrote: »
    I have hit it by mistake in the heat of a battle too early and felt like a dumby lol, not very usefull above 30 percent. :|

I do that, same slot as Purify on other bar! Nearly got me killed a few times.
    PC EU
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They read the misinformation here about how super powerful Jesus Beam is from 100%, roll a Templar and think that is all they need LOL..
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not judge the zerglings. They have a Nightblade summon passive that has a 30% per tick chance, you know, because nightblades like all the shiny things.
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I have been seeing recently is a horde of Templars who enter any fight only using Jesus Beam. Like seriously...I could be on my sorc, full health and full shields with NO ONE around me and a Templar just starts popping Jesus Beam on me. What's the deal with that?! I've basically got 200% health at that time, how is Jesus Beam effective for them whatsoever?

As someone whose first character was a Templar, and who mains one quite regularly, it frustrates me to no end to see this. I use the skill myself but if I see their health go anywhere above the 30% mark I cancel it immediately because there are more effective skills to use at that point. Even if they dark flare spammed it wouldn't bother me as much, it's just this mass of Templars who spam nothing but Jesus Beam even when you're full health. They're always v16s too. Like seriously guys this tickles me and you're on your own, or no one else is attacking me. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

It frustrates me just to see play so shockingly awful. Take yourselves to the side and have a word. Soon.

the only reason I can understand using it is if like yesterday. I was fighting a guy and when I threw a spell at him he would dodge roll out of it and I would miss. So if I used the beam it would hit him regardless if he rolled or not. Or if the enemy is a DK and is using flappy wings it would be a good use just because it wont be returned. That's the only reason I would use them. if not for execute.
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    If they're spamming it when you're not trying to evade or you're in their face then it's different.

P.S. I don't know if you intended to but your penultimate sentence reads like you're admitting you're using the Shuffle exploit.

I often see them doing that too. Simply spamming it when you're standing still. It doesn't even do much damage unless they're low health so it's just awkward.

Sorry, this wasn't my intention. I personally don't even know how to use it to be honest. I've heard rumours, but none of the sets/skills that initiate it are ones that I run on any chars, and I won't go out of my way to slot them/craft them just to exploit something.
    Reevster wrote: »
    I do that, same slot as Purify on other bar! Nearly got me killed a few times.

I do it quite regularly if I'm honest. Dark Flare is a huge culprit of it too. However if you hit the Block button it cancels any ability that is channeled or "charged" like RD or DF. The problem for me lies in spamming a button and not realising I'm on the wrong bar until I've blitzed through a load of resources wondering what's happening :( It's them moments where you THINK you swapped, but you apparently didn't.

Either way, it's more the Templars who will spam it no matter what (whether you're still, dodge rolling or anything), no matter your health.

There's one guy on our campaign who, when he started using Dark Flare against us instead, our entire guild chat erupted in cheers and people saying "HE'S LEARNT A NEW SKILL! WOOO!". Needless to say he was a V16 Red who loves to zerg.

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya I've seen em . They're not the ones to worry about .
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the issue is not with players throwing the beam at good players. It's that when they throw it at an average or bad player they melt almost immediately especially if there is any backup dps hitting the target as well. They get so used to that, they just lead with it against any opponent. From their point of view it works quite often (against bad players) but at first glance they can't tell how good any opponent may be.
  • Rakkul
    Rakkul
    ✭✭✭
    nerf Jesus Beam
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah...haha, I do that frequently, spam radiant two times before I realize that its not dark flare...but if they do it to a sorc...thats just bad, they are not the smartest OR they are a healer. J-beam is great against dodge rollers though and I DO hit it against them at full health.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or a dodge roller at full health will roll in front your target and get beamed instead.
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    I've been known to use it against DKs spamming wings constantly, provided I am at a distance and just to keep the pressure on. But with players using reflects or dodging I prefer to go for a more in-your-face approach.

I tend to charge in, ensure I have a CC immunity pot ready if necessary, and start applying pressure with puncturing sweeps.

I've recently re-built my Magicka Temp and my sweeps can do 10k damage if it's 4 crits. I'd rather jump in and crack a few of them out instead of spamming Jesus Beam. I'd only open with the skill if it were a DK spamming wings and I was on top of a keep and couldn't get close.

• Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nbs spam SA! Oh!
    DKs spam WB! Ugh!
    Templars spam beam! Eh!
    Sorcs spam shield! Ah!
    What to do, what to do?
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »
    Nbs spam SA! Oh!
    DKs spam WB! Ugh!
    Templars spam beam! Eh!
    Sorcs spam shield! Ah!
    What to do, what to do?

The issue with NBs is Fear, not SA tbh. Even if they do spam it, Fear is what gets you every time not SA.
    DKs spamming WB....meh yawn. Go S&B and play decently. Or use Flurry come next patch.
    Templars spamming beam...they're simply scrubs. Any remotely decent Templar won't be caught spamming that *** from start to finish unless the enemy started on >30% health
    Sorcs spam shield...yeah true they do, but have you tried running a Sorc without shields? They drop quicker than a Magicka Nightblade wearing Soul-Shriven Cloth clothes and using a dagger and nothing else. At least they tried to "nerf" shields...even though it's actually buffed them.

The whole point of this topic was to stimulate a discussion about the spam of Jesus Beam. Not because it's "OMFG OP NERF IT'S KILLING EVERYONE OMFG WHY". But because it's such a shockingly poor tactic that actually has such little relevance to any decent player other than as a minor irritation which can easily be disposed of once you get anywhere near the spammer.

• Rakkul
    Rakkul
    ✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »
    Nbs spam SA! Oh!
    DKs spam WB! Ugh!
    Templars spam beam! Eh!
    Sorcs spam shield! Ah!
    What to do, what to do?

answer:
    nerf Sorc shield so they spam it more
    give everyone a shield
    bound to work.
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only problem I have is when you get by 3-4 Jesus beam at the same time.Its not a nice experience.
  • Bandit1215
    Bandit1215
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly I almost have zero respect for most templars anymore because whenever someone brings up the problem (yes it is a problem) with RD, they *** saying they have no useful ults or that they were just "healing bots" before and that somehow justifies RD being the most broken ability in the game. If I sound like a whiney *** I will admit I am right now because I am sick and tired of being hit by ONE RD AT ONLY HALF HEALTH AND BEING DEAD IN 2 SECONDS. IMO if you *** templar are ok with RD being so ridiculously OP, then *** off with not having good ultimates. Try being a stamsorc who has NO op abilities, Stam ultimates other than DB next patch, and getting our primary source of healing *** by Wrobel. And yes, I play both classes, a v15 templar and a v4 stamsorc.
    CP 561
    • vSO HM - Completed
    • vAA - Completed
    • vHRC - Completed

• timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only valid reason to use it on a 100% health Sorc with full shields is 999+ ping.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    Bandit1215 wrote: »
    Honestly I almost have zero respect for most templars anymore because whenever someone brings up the problem (yes it is a problem) with RD, they *** saying they have no useful ults or that they were just "healing bots" before and that somehow justifies RD being the most broken ability in the game. If I sound like a whiney *** I will admit I am right now because I am sick and tired of being hit by ONE RD AT ONLY HALF HEALTH AND BEING DEAD IN 2 SECONDS. IMO if you *** templar are ok with RD being so ridiculously OP, then *** off with not having good ultimates. Try being a stamsorc who has NO op abilities, Stam ultimates other than DB next patch, and getting our primary source of healing *** by Wrobel. And yes, I play both classes, a v15 templar and a v4 stamsorc.

Anyone who states that Templars don't have efficient ultimates is talking out of their ass. Not only can we use DB (until next patch) and Meteor like every other player (and let's face it, Meteor is easily amongst the most powerful ultimates). We also have a healing ultimate that makes you practically invulnerable for 4-5 seconds, WHILST healing your team to full. We have an AoE, DoT slow that has a synergy attached that, if activated, can do huge burst damage. Plus we also have Empowering Sweep, which is absolutely astonishing if used correctly. That spell isn't there for the raw damage output that, let's say...Soul Harvest...is there for. Empowering Sweep allows you to charge directly into the middle of 5-6 enemies and then be practically unkillable for a good 6-10 seconds whilst you're bashing into them due to the damage reduction.

I'd class anyone who states that Templars have poor ultimates alongside those who spam Jesus Beam all day, every day. The bunch of morons who cannot play effectively.

As for Stam Sorcs? Well...yeah...you have my sympathies, truly....

• Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Free AP
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs