The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Almost Giving up being a Healer...

WeinCruz
WeinCruz
Soul Shriven
Sorry for my english, as it is a second language for me.
I don't know how common it is...but it seems the group tool for random dungeons has an habit of pairing me with people that always put the blame on the healer for the group failure... =/
So it's discouraging being a healer in this game.
It's the second time I got kicked out near the end of a group dungeon after the group was wiped out in the following condition:
All the enemy Archers and Mages alive while the DPS and Tankers was fighting the enemy tanks and the team took all AOE attacks they could take until my Magicka went dry...
Maybe I'm doing something wrong...I'm at lv 30 with 25 Magicka e 5 Health, I use Magicka Food, Regeneration, Breath of Life, Repetence, Combat Prayer, Solar Prison...
But when the team let the enemy casters and Archers free using AOE like crazy ...I need to cast Breath of Life every second as their life goes totally down...until the point that the Potion hasn't restored yet and my magicka goes zero with no window to Heavy Charge a Restoration Staff Attack.
Maybe I was unlucky...but it's kinda depressing...maybe I should make a Tank or DPS...
I'd like to know the community opinion...=/
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Healing PUGs can be discouraging, but it's not impossible. Next week we get vote-to-kick in grouping tool groups, so there should be less prima donna group leaders kicking the healer when things go wrong.

If you're at a point in almost any dungeon where you have to spam Breath of Life then something is going wrong. Are the DPS standing in red? That's not your fault, you can't heal stupid.

Are you keeping purifying ritual or rune focus up and standing in them? You get a big buff to healing if you do.

Is the fight in a small area? Stacking healing springs on your group is a great way to up your heals-per-second.

What kind of gear are you wearing? Getting extra sustain from your gear can be a big help.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • WeinCruz
    WeinCruz
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah I stand in the Purifying Ritual and I'm using full Light that gives me more Magicka and Enchanted with more magicka...
    I'm using a Breton and have some passive there too.
    There are Dungeons that things goes Smoothly, but some just get crazy enough so I have to spam Breath of Life until my Magicka runs dry and the whole group get wiped out.
    Healing Spring I haven't tried yet so I'll add it next time.
    Of Course Healers make mistakes, but what gets so discouraging is the fact that the team blames the healers and kicks them, sometimes near the end of the dungeon.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people think a healer will keep them alive no matter what. Problem is, no healer is that good or can sustain that kind of healing to keep people alive if they are standing in Red and not blocking and or avoiding attacks when they can.

Healers are there to make sure the group can stay alive if they get overwhelmed with attacks, but the players have to do what they can to keep themselves alive. In fact, the only person in the group who really needs to rely on the healer to keep them alive is the tank, and that is just because the tank is supposed to be taking damage while they are doing their job. Even then, the tank should be able to mitigate or avoid enough damage to make the healers job easier.

I have healed with Pugs before, and after running out of resources trying to keep them alive while they stood in the Red, I just let them die and then asked the group, "So, are you going to listen to me now, or just keep doing things that will get you killed?"
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WeinCruz wrote: »
    I don't know how common it is...but it seems the group tool for random dungeons has an habit of pairing me with people that always put the blame on the healer for the group failure... =/
    It's the second time I got kicked out near the end of a group dungeon after the group was wiped out in the following condition:
    All the enemy Archers and Mages alive while the DPS and Tankers was fighting the enemy tanks and the team took all AOE attacks they could take until my Magicka went dry...
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong...I'm at lv 30 with 25 Magicka e 5 Health, I use Magicka Food, Regeneration, Breath of Life, Repetence, Combat Prayer, Solar Prison...
    But when the team let the enemy casters and Archers free using AOE like crazy ...I need to cast Breath of Life every second as their life goes totally down...until the point that the Potion hasn't restored yet and my magicka goes zero with no window to Heavy Charge a Restoration Staff Attack.
    Maybe I was unlucky...but it's kinda depressing...maybe I should make a Tank or DPS...

I can give you a suggestion.

Try getting crafted sustain sets like Seducer.
    And drop Breath of Life or any burst heal from your healing bar. In the long run it would make you a better healer (and you won't have to depend on burst heals).
    Spamming Breath of Life is a guaranteed group death option more than it is a life saver.
  • WeinCruz
    WeinCruz
    Soul Shriven
    Nestor wrote: »
    Healers are there to make sure the group can stay alive if they get overwhelmed with attacks, but the players have to do what they can to keep themselves alive. In fact, the only person in the group who really needs to rely on the healer to keep them alive is the tank, and that is just because the tank is supposed to be taking damage while they are doing their job. Even then, the tank should be able to mitigate or avoid enough damage to make the healers job easier.
    I agree with you.
    The tank is constantly on heavy fire.
    I'm trying to keeping improving and I notice that battles that mobs take too long to die is when problems begin x.x
    I have healed with Pugs before, and after running out of resources trying to keep them alive while they stood in the Red, I just let them die and then asked the group, "So, are you going to listen to me now, or just keep doing things that will get you killed?"

Hahaha I'd be kicked right way if I said that xD
    susmitds wrote: »

And drop Breath of Life or any burst heal from your healing bar. In the long run it would make you a better healer (and you won't have to depend on burst heals).
    Spamming Breath of Life is a guaranteed group death option more than it is a life saver.

I'm researching traits so I can craft the set. Right now I can craft 3 pieces counting the weapon.
    I'm currently using 3 pieces of (Blue) Baharaha' Curse and intend to change it soon.
    Breath of Life I like as it heals a lot, but what should I use then?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a thread on the Healing Role, there are a couple of others on the forums, but this will get you started. Please note, this is an older thread and some of the skills have changed, and a few are going to change some more when the Dark Brotherhood update goes live. But, it will get you started

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/133287/role-guide-healing
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Hahaha I'd be kicked right way if I said that xD

And that would be bad... why? :)
    susmitds wrote: »

I'm researching traits so I can craft the set. Right now I can craft 3 pieces counting the weapon.
    I'm currently using 3 pieces of (Blue) Baharaha' Curse and intend to change it soon.
    Breath of Life I like as it heals a lot, but what should I use then?

Heal yourself with BoL - it only heals one other player so it can drain your magicka fast if you are trying to heal a group with it. Heal them with Healing Springs/Rapid Regen. Ward Ally is a good tool when you have someone really low to give the HoTs time to tick, or even Barrier for oh crap moments if you are up for a little time in PvP to earn it. Don't forget to use your second bar for buffs like Combat Prayer.

If you are on PC NA, I will be happy to craft you a full set of Seducer/Magnus.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It has been known since the dawn of mmos that dps are selfish jerks. If they weren't selfish they would be playing support rolls.

Also, they 'play as they want' which forces their supports to work twice as hard to keep them alive.

:trollface:

Anyways, stick with it :) it can be frustrating at times, but quite rewarding too. Don't give up. There will be those groups that take no consideration for the healer. Don't let them get you down. For the most part this community is quite helpful, and in this thread you are getting good advice and crafting offers.

This video also never gets old. https://youtu.be/2DxS7eT_ky4
    Edited by Shunravi on May 23, 2016 9:37PM
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • linlilia
    linlilia
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the long post......But here it goes.

As a main Templar healer in dungeons, it can be frustrating. People think you can just spam BoL and keep everyone alive. But in relatity it does not work that way. Try using some ultimates to help as well, in tough dungeons I always have Remembrance up to be an emergency heal for the group that costs no magicka and my magicka will regenerate a bit during the cast, I went for the less group damage, works great. Also I use Barrier to give a shield at mid battles (though this does require some PvP play to get) or a huge DPS move like Nova or Ice Comet. One of the biggest things is that if the group is not healing themselves sometimes, and EVERYONE should have a heal on their bars or they are just asking for death, you are always going to be in a bit of trouble.

One member of a fairly stable group that I am in does not have an emergency heal and she dies a fair bit because BoL hits most in need which is not always the person I want to heal. (Stupid smart casts). Also I would put down Extended Ritual on the group though only helps if they stay in it. DPS and Tanks are terrible about doing that, but it will help you.

And of course Repentance and spam that since it costs you nothing if there are mobs and will give them back resources and health. And I have the Extended Ritual up for myself of course, though distance DPS can stand in it if they want.

The only Resto staff skill I use is Mutatin, gives a good Heal over Time and a purge if needed and an emergency heal. Also it can be cast over a distance. And that is it, maybe Combat Prayer but really that is only useful if they stand together which as I said rarely happens. Ward Alley I rarely use since Barrier is way better.

The rest on my bars are actual DPS moves to buff the group and help with DPS. A lot of times racing to kill the boss is easier than drawing out the fight and making you run out of resources. If the boss is dead and at least 1 person survives you all win ;)

Here is my 2 man bars, I do switch things out here and there depending on the fight.

Resto Bar - BoL - Reflective Light - Mutagin - Sun Shield/ Harden Magicka/ Combat Prayer/ Ward Ally (this is the Changable Skill Can be a Heal) - Extended Ritual - Ultimate Usually Barrier or Nova

2nd Bar (weapon of some sort) - Dark Flare - Extended Ritual - Blazing Spear - Radiant Destruction (a great killer of bosses at 20% or less health, I never not have it on my bar) - Repentance - Ultimate almost always Remembrance

If you want to have more regeneration for Magicka dealers use a Destruction staff with Drain elements on your second bar, useless really to you but great for the group as a whole. I have issues playing with a Restro and Desto both up, but that is me.

This works for me and the groups I have worked with, but some would say that this is not helaing enough but really I depend on Heals over Time to keep the group alive not instant ones. Also if you have enough stamina you can add Vigor to your bar a Heal over Time that goes off over stamina, in some fights I will use it as an emergency backup heal but then again I have a fair bit of stamina (for a magicka healer) because my friends love to sprint to get everywhere and I need to sort of keep up.

Also at 5-15% depending on how fast we as a group are DPSing the boss I will have Heal over Time up and only DPS myself at that point. Radiant Destruction at that point will do massive damage (10-18k for me a tick).

Also try creating some high end potions, I like a potion called Spell Power, will increase your spell damage and heals and spell crit and restore magicka, way better than picked up pots. Then use Corn Flower, Lady's Smock, and Water Hyacitha.

Also I am a V16 Templar Healer, so this might not work for you. But some things to try out and see if it helps.
  • WeinCruz
    WeinCruz
    Soul Shriven
    I really appreciate the support and tips.
    I'm reading the guide and preparing to try the advices. =)
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Heal yourself with BoL - it only heals one other player so it can drain your magicka fast if you are trying to heal a group with it. Heal them with Healing Springs/Rapid Regen. Ward Ally is a good tool when you have someone really low to give the HoTs time to tick, or even Barrier for oh crap moments if you are up for a little time in PvP to earn it. Don't forget to use your second bar for buffs like Combat Prayer.

If you are on PC NA, I will be happy to craft you a full set of Seducer/Magnus.

Thank you for the offer and advice, but I play on PS4 =/
    However the the sugestions are really welcomed.
    I'll try to depend less on BoL.
    Shunravi wrote: »
    It has been known since the dawn of mmos that dps are selfish jerks. If they weren't selfish they would be playing support rolls.

Also, they 'play as they want' which forces their supports to work twice as hard to keep them alive.

:trollface:

Anyways, stick with it :) it can be frustrating at times, but quite rewarding too. Don't give up. There will be those groups that take no consideration for the healer. Don't let them get you down. For the most part this community is quite helpful, and in this thread you are getting good advice and crafting offers.

This video also never gets old. https://youtu.be/2DxS7eT_ky4

Hahaha this video is now on my favorite list xD
    linlilia wrote: »
    Sorry for the long post......But here it goes.

Sorry to shorten the quote.
    I read about three times already and really liked the tips.
    I'm still at lv 3 in Assault and Support PVP, but I think it's worth a try to get Barrier.
    Thank you for the help. I'm sure going to try this out.

It seems I was lacking in healing skill too.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being the Healer can be a tough role, but very rewarding in a good group! Too many people want to blame the wrong person when things go wrong, though, and as a healer we do end up covering for other people's mistakes.

In my opinion, the best healers are proactive, rather than reactive. (Don't get me wrong, you need a reactive ability, too! Not all boss attacks can be taunted, for example.)

To use a simple example, I keep Illustrious Healing under our tank at all times (morph of Grand Healing restoration staff skill; Healing Springs is the other morph, easier on your resources at lower levels, but I like Illustrious Healing better for Veteran levels).
    I also keep Quick Siphon on the boss and primary targets (morph of Force Siphon, restoration staff; do not use the base skill in dungeons, the channel time can cause issues, level it to morph it by adding it to your bar when soloing or handing in quests).

Between these two skills I get to spend a lot of time on my DPS bar with a good group, and get to save a lot of magicka in the tougher fights when I have to stay pure healer.
    The first heals any ally standing in the circle (so I keep the tank's health up), the second restores health for any attack against an opponent with the siphon active (so tank for his heavy attacks to keep his stamina up, and DPS for each attack towards killing them).

Our main tank has actually stopped running with self heals on his bar in normal dungeons now when we run together (except repentance, for the passives), because he hadn't been using them. He's still got his shields, of course... An ounce of prevention and all that. :p

With that said, if you are needing to spam Breath of Life frequently to keep everyone alive, they are taking way too much damage. Either the tank is not holding the aggro, the DPS are standing in bad places, or the group has too low DPS for the group to survive the mechanics/adds of the fight. Since you didn't say anything about you personally being overwhelmed with the enemies, I would wager the tank was not the issue, so that leaves the two DPS possibilities. Could you do a better job healing with a better collection of skills to pull from? Sure! But while that would improve the issue, that's very likely not the root of this particular problem.

So! Learn from the situation, but don't take it personally! As you learn to become a stronger healer, and learn the dungeon mechanics as well, being paired with bad groups won't be the end of a dungeon run. (Usually.) I have light armor healtanked normal dungeons and even some veteran ones with a tauntless tank and only one good DPS, and still had fun. It becomes just another form of "hardmode" and the practice can only make you a stronger player.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    you can't heal stupid..

And the quote of the day goes to this guy/girl so true !!

My alt is a healer temp and lv30 many many times im in random and people stand in red not killing archers and it makes hard to sustain but i found a way you need to heal then use resto heavy attack heal dodge ect and it can be done.

frustrating yes but keeps you on the edge and its fun ps most Tanks are stamina and if he tanking the boss don't forget to throw shards their way to replenish the stamina as well.

Ps don't take it too hard there are not many dedicated healers out there most of players want to play as DPS TANK ect so that guy who kicked you out possible ruined the dungeon for everybody by kicking you out , so be proud to be a dedicated healer you are doing a good job and there will be many others in random dungeon who would appreciate to have you.

When i play with my mage ( res in peace) and 2 other friends and we get a healer regardless of what level he is, you have no idea how happy that makes us and we always try to keep the healer alive as healers are priority if they die most of times we all die.

As mentioned don't take it too hard in this game same as in life you will come across idiots don't let them discouraging you, just play enjoy the game in future if they kick you out its not because you don't know how to heal its because they don't know how to play.

Edited by ForsakenSin on May 24, 2016 11:31PM
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned don't take it too hard in this game same as in life you will come across idiots don't let them discouraging you, just play enjoy the game in future if they kick you out its not because you don't know how to heal its because they don't know how to play.

This.
    There are a lot of good advices in the above posts, and I wont repeat them. But I just wanted to add that no matter how good you are, some people will try their best to keep dying despite you effort. There is a lot of situations where you cannot prevent this.
    If your pug starts blaming you, dont try to find excuses and such, just tell them that either they will play smart or they will wait another hour. And you, as a healer, will get another party instantly.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep going. I heal the daily random and the daily silver pledges in pugs all the time (gold just ain't worth it). You need to develop thick skin (or turn voice chat off on console, I did because I'm anti social).

What you describe is probably the biggest issue with healing pugs. The dps sucked. They stand in red a lot, but for me the number one issue, is that so many of them don't do aoe dps, is makes fights take vastly longer, running you out of magic and as there are lots of mobs that have not been damaged, it increases the chance they all come for you.

That's not your fault, you just need to watch for it. I quickly realised that my magic lasted longer if I went puncturing sweep crazy, rather than healing dps that do single target damage when we need to kill multiple mobs. Killing the mobs is quicker than keeping alive a dps that is ineffective. It's cruel but true.

Another thing I learnt is to use puryfying light. It sounds lack lustre but it's amazing and it's your analytics tool. I helps with damage. It heals. It says to dps kill this mob. But its biggest use is in assessing your team.

It stores damage for six seconds and then unleashes damage up to about 60% of your max magic. Now how that helps you asses your team is with combat numbe being shown, you can apply it to a mob of boss and not hit it for 6 seconds, till it discharges its damage and see just how much damage your group are doing. If it's near max value, they are doing great, if it's 1200 the it's going to be a long night.

It kind of helps with playing god, remember keeping a dps alive costs magic, if that magic would produce more dps if you used it to damage rather than heal that dps, then allow them to watch from the sidelines and contemplate not standing in stupid and being at least a little responsible for thier own survivability.
  • Kozai
    Kozai
    ✭✭✭
    Guppet wrote: »
    What you describe is probably the biggest issue with healing pugs. The dps sucked. They stand in red a lot, but for me the number one issue, is that so many of them don't do aoe dps, is makes fights take vastly longer, running you out of magic and as there are lots of mobs that have not been damaged, it increases the chance they all come for you.

That's not your fault, you just need to watch for it. I quickly realised that my magic lasted longer if I went puncturing sweep crazy, rather than healing dps that do single target damage when we need to kill multiple mobs. Killing the mobs is quicker than keeping alive a dps that is ineffective. It's cruel but true.

That is one of the things I like about doing healing with PUGs, in the same day I may be going back and forth from "mostly healing" to "mostly damage", depending on how they are doing. Unlike with my tank, I've been able to save poor PUGs by contributing dps on top of healing them. That struggle and balancing act makes me a better player, I've even started running my templar as official dps in a few dungeons with friends.

And as others have advised, be prepared to use a lot of tools besides BoL. Having a few slow heal over times running like Rapid Regen takes a lot of the edge off the needs for heals, and if it is ticking away it may save someone when a big AoE damages everyone at once and your BoL can only hit two players right away. Finally, there are some boss fights in some dungeons where the only way for the team to survive is for the team to gather and for the healer to heal through them. BoL will absolutely fail there, you need something like a morph of Cleansing Ritual + the Focused Healing passive + spamming of Healing Springs from the Resto staff to survive it because you need to heal everyone simultaneously and efficiently.
  • Sleep
    Sleep
    ✭✭✭✭
    it's always you to be blamed when your teammates die because you're the healer, it's your responsibility to keep them alive. that's why I don't want to heal at all.
  • Articulemort
    Articulemort
    ✭✭✭
    I deal with this alot as a healer also. I have found it easiest to heal everyone in the party by using rapid regen 3 times before any fight starts then throwing down a few healing Springs or whatever the skill is called. Occasionally throw down a purify, then save BoL for the oh crap moments. I wouldn't recommend taking it off your bar, but don't use it as your main heal, focus on HoTs to keep the party alive and only use BoL if a party member is below like 40% or so. If your running low on magicka and a pug dps is standing in red, let them die. You can't heal stupid, plain and simple. I've always looked at it as its your job to keep the tank alive, and that's it. If the tank or healer goes down, the party wipes it seems.
    I've always thought it the party wipes, it was my fault, but lately I've noticed that if the party wipes, it more the dps' fault. Maybe they have a low dps (I've done a few random dailies with pugs where my back "dps" bar was out dpsing the dpses) or they are focusing on the boss too much and not killing the adds. I've started to switch between healing and damage so during dungeons I can keep the party alive and also work on the adds. Just remember to weave in some heavy resto or destruction attacks to keep some magicka in case of a BoL moment.
  • DenniMyuu
    DenniMyuu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always blame the healer even though 90 % of the time it's not the healer's fault.
    Some DDs just think they can just stand in every red circle possible - best spread out across the room and out of range and you actually heal them. Simply... Nope. *** happens ofc - I only use BOL in emergency situations and they rarely happen if people watch their feet and know how to block. :)
    You're a support - which means you support your group with buffs and protection. Those red circles aren't displayed just for some fancy colorshow.

Like the others already said: You can't heal the stupid. Just laugh at it and don't even bother feeling bad if you know you haven't done anything wrong. It just messes with your motivation to play the game at all - I know that feel. ;)
    Possessed Myuutikora | Argonian | Templar | Healer | Master Angler • Goddess Goni | Argonian | Warden | Healer
    » vMSA Flawless • vDSA • vHRC HM • vAA HM • vSO HM • vMOL HM • vHOF HM • vAS +2 • vCR +3 • vBRP «

» finally retired | Goni & Guar ♥ « | » PC EU Vivec « | » since beta «
  • cote-bmsb16_ESO
    cote-bmsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Endgame healers running randoms set the bar high for low level healers. Healing is actually the easiest role to do in ESO. Why don't you point out the facts like "tank letting 2hander stab me to death", or "dps isn't killing priority targets.". I love telling pugs that they are standing in red, and sometimes I just let them get wrecked. Then I'll be like, see you got killed by standing in red and not blocking.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endgame healers running randoms set the bar high for low level healers. Healing is actually the easiest role to do in ESO. Why don't you point out the facts like "tank letting 2hander stab me to death", or "dps isn't killing priority targets.". I love telling pugs that they are standing in red, and sometimes I just let them get wrecked. Then I'll be like, see you got killed by standing in red and not blocking.

Have you tried to heal vMoL/new vSO? Or a fresh vr pug?
    Healing is only easy if your group is overleveled/overgeared - for example, in AA/Hel Ra or nerfed 4-man dungeons, and when you're,well, just healing.
    I'm not saying dpsing is easy, competitive dps requires effort, but in pug scenarios you can often see people queuing as dds just because they cannot heal or tank. They usually cant dps as well though, and keeping them alive while doing dps for the whole group can be very tricky.
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on June 2, 2016 5:12PM

PC/EU
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello TE,
    I've been healing pugs for a long time and, let me tell you, that the healer is not the easiest char to play in ESO. People who think this way lack experience in MMOs: after the tank-role, the healer role is the second most-difficult role in ESO.
    Nonetheless, there are certain pve- or pvp-healers that do not play their char to its full potential.

A good healer is able to predict a fight, knows about the "oh s_it"-moments and he has always a magicka-pool of about 20-30% for emergencies. You must also know all other classes, because -then- you can see, if people do their stuff correctly, or whether they are personally responsible for the never ending damage they get.

Best thing to do, while being a healer, is to play all other classes, so -by playing a stamina char- you'll notice the most-important thing for a templar: Blazing Spear is SO NICE Compared to the 25% stamina synergy, any other (!) possibility to regenerate magicka is less-better! That is why, you do not need to support magicka regen all the time. Most of the things you can do, except the Orb (!), do not give back sufficient magicka, to be worth it (1% per shot, or only abyssal / minimal values) . But Blazing Spear is, without doubt, the must-have skill for your group, even better then repetence, as you can give optimal (!) tank-support and it's much stronger than any magicka-counterpart (support wise).

The most interesting new skill for healers, after this patch IMO, is the new guard skill (pvp-support skills). I put this skill on "health points dropper", mainly not-so-well playing Nightblades and Sorcerers :wink: My templar can take much more damage than a casual level 10-49 nightblade. Take purge and guard on one bar and you get a free 20% magicka regen (if they didn't change the passive..). Or combine guard with blazing shield for even more fun, if you're more a tanky-healer..

If people's HP drops all the time, you have to look at it LIKE a detective. Countless times, I've to write in the group chat:

- Stay out of red circles
    - Please stay in heal range (sorc porting away, resetting the boss, lol..)
    - When you see the boss doing the special attack to you/in your direction, try to block please! (random charge attacks, DDs, etc)
    - Get more than 16k HP..
    - Use roll/dodge sometimes (this applies especially to stamina Nightblades)
    - Kill the healer NPC!
    - Kill the archer / sorc NPC first, he can onehit you
    - Use the f...ing synergies!!

o:) Go on healing!

Edited by Francescolg on June 2, 2016 6:51PM
  • cote-bmsb16_ESO
    cote-bmsb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭

Healing is only easy if your group is overleveled/overgeared - for example, in AA/Hel Ra or nerfed 4-man dungeons, and when you're,well, just healing.
    I'm not saying dpsing is easy, competitive dps requires effort, but in pug scenarios you can often see people queuing as dds just because they cannot heal or tank. They usually cant dps as well though, and keeping them alive while doing dps for the whole group can be very tricky.

Yes, and yes. I get that new players struggle with the games mechanics but once they figure it out they'll be on easy street. It is very easy to heal in this game. It is the easiest role. DPS have it the hardest since there is no cap on dps, so they always have to improve. But healing is just like.. Good enough, redistribute your points to dps since over healing is a waste of time unless you are in trials or something like that.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, and yes. I get that new players struggle with the games mechanics but once they figure it out they'll be on easy street. It is very easy to heal in this game. It is the easiest role. DPS have it the hardest since there is no cap on dps, so they always have to improve. But healing is just like.. Good enough, redistribute your points to dps since over healing is a waste of time unless you are in trials or something like that.

But there's also no "cap" for supporting.
    A good healer can help their party with sustain, and do dps as well.

PC/EU
  • cmchone1014
    cmchone1014
    Soul Shriven
    As a fellow templar healer, I'll repeat what others have said. If you're having to spam breath of life in this game, then your group is doing something wrong. Don't worry about it and just keep plugging. There are good players on this game that don't act like jerks. Use buff tools from the restoration staff skill line (Mutigen / Combat Prayer) and purifying ritual/cleansing ritual to lay hots. As a healer, I can usually buff the group, then do damage, and heal in between. I run Dark Flare, Blazing Spear (obviously) and Purifying light on my DPS bar, and can usually keep up a steady rotation with a heavy attack in between HoT's. Hope we helped you a little bit.
  • WeinCruz
    WeinCruz
    Soul Shriven
    I've been training since I did this posts and put into practice many of the sugestions and I think I'm improving.
    Timing things can be tricky, Repetence, Blazing spears, Healing Spring, Rapid Regen, Combat Prayer, Extended Ritual....
    I made myself a set of 5 Seducer parts and 3 Magnus Gift.
    About the easier or harder role... I have a weaker DPS and Tank as I like to play different classes. Tanking seems to me a hardesy role, but nice and challeging, Healing is really nice and rewarding I agree with Solarcat02. Also the healer deal with the low performance group member most than all others; There are a multitude of DPS out there, but not many are dedicated dps, but this is my personal opinion.
    The DPS role take longer to become effective on mob killing I think, but I need to play more with him.
    I really don't know if choosing rapid regen was better than mutagin...
    I'm lv 36 so I still don't have the heavy hitters or rune focus but I'll get there.
    Right now I use Healing staff on both bar but I'm think having a Destruction staff on the second bar.
    All the sugestions here helped me greatly and I really appreciate. I'll keep training o/
  • qrichou
    qrichou
    ✭✭✭

stick to it , its a lonely job sometimes but i like it a lot when you start getting champion points it will go better.
    Find. your own ritme and if you get your own group you get to know there ritme and it becomes naturale .
    because its possible
  • Parrot1986
    Parrot1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me I go resto/destro on my Templar healer.
    For tough dungeons I'll do very little dips and focus on max sustain for the group.
    Resto bar will have springs as my main heal and replenishes magic for me. Rapid regen definitely the strongest morph shards if running with stamp player if not force siphon again for magika return per hit for the group and BoL and orbs as well.
    Destro bar has repentance, elemental drain for spell resist reduction and magika return, radiant destruction, purify ritual and BoL and harness magika for shield and more magika return.
    Ultimate I'll have shooting star for extra magika but use aggressive war horn, this is a must for your group.
    Gear I use eyes of Mara 5pc and seducer and have 37k magika and 2.6k recovery with 19k health meaning I hardly ever run out of magika
    Mundus is atronach as well for magika recovery along with recovery glyphs on willpower set.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As people have mentioned being a healer it aint easy it falls on you to read the fight and predict the fight as well

for example you know when fighting the boss i do Siphon Spirit on boss use Combat Prayer , if you have a tank i make sure i throw Blazing Spear in front of him as he needs to keep stamina up for blocking, Purifying Light , Radiant Aura ,Extended Ritual and i use Radiant Oppresion.

( ps this is just whats on my bars atm as main and for other i like to switch around a bit and im having fun using them)

You can read the fight for example when the boss dose huge AOE you can time it to heal all of them within a second their life goes down , also time to throw shards to tanks as well also as ultimate i like to use Practiced Incantation and use that when my mana is low so it will recharge for a bit and gives me time to use mana pot OR when a person is down and somebody is trying to resurrect him/her and they are getting hit i use that.

Like i mentioned its allot of work switching bars making sure all buffs are up managing your mana and peoples health and using resto staff in between to regain mana back , but once when you get into the rotation it fells awesome and things get done quick and easy.

But as the thread is about you will encounter people just standing in red taking allot of damage not caring thinking you have unlimited mana pool , not killing archers that are hitting you or the adds that are on you and best and not least , not protecting the healer and when i die instead of resurrecting me they still go on for like 5 min plus and try to kill the boss by themselves just to get whipped out.

"face palm"
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    13346671_895831830538853_4657263873138491652_n.jpg?oh=d77b9c01de3c432549fc1443cebbaccf&oe=57C458D0
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!