The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Alternative to button mapping on consoles

Tyrannic
Tyrannic
I see alot of people (when it comes to custom mapping threads) say to get an elite controller or that the systems already allow you to change the layout. Sure, we can change the layout to an extent but we cant bypass having to block for core pvp mechanics. If this was just about conveinence i would understand the lack of attention giving to this issue. Its not just about conveinence though, the lack of button mapping has game-changing effects on the console version. La/ransack/bash just isnt a thing. I can literally stop my stam regen completely. You might be thinking "Well i dont use sword and board in pvp so this doesnt effect me.". Even if you play a magicka sorc or a 2h stam dk, everytime you roll youre losing out on stam regen that you wouldnt on pc. If we cant have button mapping can you please create a template that allows us to bash/dodge roll/cc break without having to use the block button? It certainly would be much appreciated.
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah that's annoying... it got so bad that I had to use stamina regen drinks on my Magicka Templar, because even with champion points in stam regen, the slightest block could deplete my stamina and when you press both triggers to go to dodge roll, it would process as a block sometimes while you're being hit, which would kinda drain my stamina and mostly it'll drain just enough stamina so that I won't be able to break free from a CC.

Sometimes it even feels like after your first break free, you won't have enough stamina to break free again... with the average stamina regen that a magicka user has, hence why I used drinks a lot because I couldn't keep up and I know that's going off-topic, but I just have to mention it:

Dodge-rolling is so important in PvP and obviously blocking too, but to have Block, Sprint, Sneak, Break Free, dodge roll ALL on one resource like Stamina, is a bad design in my opinion.

For one, Sprint and dodge-roll should have their own, separate resource. I know that's a topic for another time, but yeah.

--ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    I was actually gonna put something in the thread about how i think i also block attacks while dodging roll, causing me to lose more stam, but i wasnt sure if that was a thing or not and wanted to just stick to what i knew for sure since i feel thats enough to warrant the new layout.
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    Molag_Crow wrote: »
    Yeah that's annoying... it got so bad that I had to use stamina regen drinks on my Magicka Templar, because even with champion points in stam regen, the slightest block could deplete my stamina and when you press both triggers to go to dodge roll, it would process as a block sometimes while you're being hit, which would kinda drain my stamina and mostly it'll drain just enough stamina so that I won't be able to break free from a CC.

Sometimes it even feels like after your first break free, you won't have enough stamina to break free again... with the average stamina regen that a magicka user has, hence why I used drinks a lot because I couldn't keep up and I know that's going off-topic, but I just have to mention it:

Dodge-rolling is so important in PvP and obviously blocking too, but to have Block, Sprint, Sneak, Break Free, dodge roll ALL on one resource like Stamina, is a bad design in my opinion.

For one, Sprint and dodge-roll should have their own, separate resource. I know that's a topic for another time, but yeah.
    I might be misunderstanding something here. But aren't you supposed to be at a disadvantage in stamina resources to a stamina build since you rolled a magicka build? I run into the issue of the jump instead of interact issue occasionally with controller, it's not in combat so not as important but slightly annoying.

One way to alleviate that in a fair way is to have dodge roll/sprint cost magicka for magicka based builds. A 50/50 balance point, if you build into +1 to one side over the other then the cost of dodge roll/sprint gets assigned to that. I know that doesn't make real world sense but it is more balanced.

If there was a separate resource for dodge roll/sprint that would be fair as well to both builds. However the cost would have to be re-evaluated otherwise we could have sonic the hedgehog in Tamriel all day long.

An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kalifas wrote: »

I might be misunderstanding something here. But aren't you supposed to be at a disadvantage in stamina resources to a stamina build since you rolled a magicka build? I run into the issue of the jump instead of interact issue occasionally with controller, it's not in combat so not as important but slightly annoying.

One way to alleviate that in a fair way is to have dodge roll/sprint cost magicka for magicka based builds. A 50/50 balance point, if you build into +1 to one side over the other then the cost of dodge roll/sprint gets assigned to that. I know that doesn't make real world sense but it is more balanced.

If there was a separate resource for dodge roll/sprint that would be fair as well to both builds. However the cost would have to be re-evaluated otherwise we could have sonic the hedgehog in Tamriel all day long.

Of course but this is the thing that doesn't make much sense to me since magicka users are given a stamina resource and HAVE to use it....

I like your suggestion but I guess it would be quite complex to get it right, I have no idea, just guessing. I'd also guess that it may be easier if they just added a new resource (like a tiny bar underneath the Stamina bar, similar to a mount's stamina bar) which you'd spend purely on Break free, Sprint and sneak. Stamina would still be used for Blocking and dodge-rolling, or something like that. That would be AWESOME!
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is so damn true, especially for stam sorcs / dk's. I just dont want to use wrecking blow in pvp, but as a stam sorc my only option is la/ransack/bash in pvp, but even with 2,5k stam regen Im out of stamina so freaking fast.

I even considered to buy a Keyboard + Mouse adapter for eso on ps4, but after some research it will just allow me to bind the controller buttons on any keyboard button, but since on cnsole bash is restricted to "block + la" even with a keyboard I would have to do this...

plz zenimax help
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭

Of course but this is the thing that doesn't make much sense to me since magicka users are given a stamina resource and HAVE to use it....

I like your suggestion but I guess it would be quite complex to get it right, I have no idea, just guessing. I'd also guess that it may be easier if they just added a new resource (like a tiny bar underneath the Stamina bar, similar to a mount's stamina bar) which you'd spend purely on Break free, Sprint and sneak. Stamina would still be used for Blocking and dodge-rolling, or something like that. That would be AWESOME!
    Currently stamina governs things outside of combat skills while magicka doesn't(correct me if I'm wrong).

There is a good argument here about the stamina vs magicka debate.
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/magicka-should-not-class-skills/

Here is a quote from the original poster incase you don't want to click the link.
    Zenimax has been extremely receptive to its community’s feedback thus far, but there is one issue left unchanged that stands to deter many players from the playing the way that they want to play. And this issue is that magicka is the resource for; and governs the power of ALL class skills. But why is this an issue? Let’s find out…

Why is this a problem?

Class skills aren’t consistent with the rest of the skill tree – Weapon, Guild, Alliance War, and Armor skills all cost; and scale off of magicka OR stamina depending on the skill line. Some Weapon skills (like the two handed line) use stamina while others (like the destruction staff line) use magicka. Skills in the Fighters Guild are governed by stamina, while the Mage’s Guild falls under the jurisdiction of magicka. In the Alliance War, magicka for support and stamina for assault. And finally heavy and medium Armor skills use stamina while light uses magicka. But this is not the case for Class skill lines: Ardent Flame=magicka, Draconic Power=magicka, Earthern Heart=magicka, Deadric Summoning=magicka, Dark Magic=magicka, Storm Calling=magicka, Assassination=magicka, Shadow=magicka, Siphoning=magicka, Aedric Spear=magicka, Dawn’s Wrath=magicka, Restoring Light=magicka. And this brings use to issue #2.

Caster and Healers can be pure, Fighters and Rogues must be hybrid – It’s perhaps unfair of me to narrow the scope of ESO’s free-form class building down to four classic archetypes, many players will undoubtedly combine two or even three to create something unique. But for those players who prefer a more focused approach some archetypes will be simply off limits. For instance casters and healers as magicka users can choose between 86 spells and 15 ultimates that scale with their primary attribute. On the other hand, melee and bow users who rely on stamina have access to only 31 spells and 2 ultimates that scale with their chosen stat. As a result these fighters and rogues will absolutely need magicka spells on their hotbar, while casters and healers can completely overlook stamina and even use weapon skills that scale with magicka.

Imagine if every ability in LoL scaled with ability power – A crude comparison perhaps, but one that is more relevant than you might think. This change would mainly affect ADCs and melee bruisers. ADCs would continue to build pure attack damage but their abilities would become superfluous, while bruisers would have a choice between building tanky or building ap hybrid. Believe it or not it wouldn’t be the end of the game, affected champions would simply be buffed to compensate. But would it be fun? Absolutely not. Having to forgo a Black Cleaver for an Archangel’s Staff on Darius would completely compromise the champion’s thematic identity. Kind of like stacking magicka on a dual wielding Nightblade. Not to mention having to chose between being good at auto attacks or being good at melee abilities.
    How can it be fixed?

The only solution is to evaluate EACH and EVERY class skill within the context of the class and the skill’s potential synergies and chose whether it should scale off of magicka, stamina, health, or even armor. This would not enforce a meta, and Zenimax would not be choosing the viable builds. This would mean that people would have to rethink their builds, but the long term benefits would significantly outweigh the short term QQ.

TL;DR
    Class skills being completely governed by magicka undermines the thematic identity, core concept and accessibility of many archetypes within ESO. Melee or ranged stamina users’ builds by default need to be an order of magnitude more complicated than casters’ or healers’ since magicka spells must (with extreme exceptions) be used.
    It calls for a wider spread of skills across the different 3 attributes for scaling. It doesn't necessarily talk exactly about our topic here. But it gives you a wider view of how things work. Do you think that closes or opens options? It makes sense for me. Not saying stamina is weaker than magicka. Just saying that they have less options than magicka in terms of skills and also have stamina tacked onto the cost of aerobic off skill stuff and they pretty much have to use magicka.
  • vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree console needs controller mapping.An example for me is that 1 second where you stand still when switching weapons.

But I may have a workaround for people in PS4.Dont know if many people knows this but you can completly remap dualshock 4 controller on ps4 settings.Like for example you can switch X with L2.I have not tried it myself.The downside is that the remaping will stay there for any other game until you change it again.

I hope this helps.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2015/03/so_how_does_dualshock_4_button_remapping_work_on_ps4
  • vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my situation ,with those dualshock settings, I would probably change Left D-pad button (switch weapon) with R3 button (crouch) that way i can switch weapons while still moving around.
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    @Molag Crow @Kalifas Could we please keep this thread on topic please. These kinds of threads in the past always got sidetracked and then died unnoticed.

@vladimilianoub17_ESO1 Yes, you can remap your commands on both consoles. The issue is that you cant (atleast on xbox, idk about ps4) bash/roll/cc break without using the block button. When you use the block button your stam regen stops.
  • vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tyrannic wrote: »
    @Molag Crow @Kalifas Could we please keep this thread on topic please. These kinds of threads in the past always got sidetracked and then died unnoticed.

@vladimilianoub17_ESO1 Yes, you can remap your commands on both consoles. The issue is that you cant (atleast on xbox, idk about ps4) bash/roll/cc break without using the block button. When you use the block button your stam regen stops.

ok got it.Well then its the same situation even in PC you will always have to press block for ,bash ,cc break not roll dodge though.So I think even a controller mapping wont help it looks more like a coding thing where developers would have to change bash and cc break so it work with just 1 button input instead of 2 (block and the other button) just like roll dodge in PC.
  • AOECAPS
    AOECAPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    Need Stam? run serpent mundus for the extra regen in your mag character and 1 or 2 piece bloodspawn
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    @ValarMorghulis1896 On pc you can bind dodge roll/cc break/bash to their own seperate key.

@AOECAPS if youre la/ransack/bashing properly on console, there isnt enough stam. I can literally lock my stam recov.
  • AOECAPS
    AOECAPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ValarMorghulis1896 On pc you can bind dodge roll/cc break/bash to their own seperate key.

@AOECAPS if youre la/ransack/bashing properly on console, there isnt enough stam. I can literally lock my stam recov.
    OP was talking about on his mag character having Stam issues from what I read from a blabafat post (I think it was on his YouTube channel) he runs the serpent for helping with cc,dodge,block. And it sounds like your regen/ cost reduction is bad I can 1vX and have no resource issues while roll dodging quite and running max stat food.
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    @AOECAPS fixing the problem would help slightly with his stam problem on his mag sorc. As for me, I was running 2300 recov (which is more than enough if youre on pc) and going from full to half stam in 4 seconds doing the la/ransack/bash combo. why? because im losing alot of stam regen from having to block every second to perform a bash. another guy in this thread was running 2600 and it wasnt enough.... for sword and shield. Crazy.
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    @AOECAPS Also, if youre having no regen issues, using a normal build with sword and shield, using food , on console, youre not doing the la/ransack/bash combo properly or even at all.
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    im not letting this die. havent been able to use sword n shield since august.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's such an easy fix to alleviate some of these issue's.

Sprint: Instead of clicking L3 to sprint, it's double tap upward's to start sprinting. (Similar to Battlefield 4)

This would then allow you to bind roll dodge or Block to L3. Which solve's any issue's with roll dodge and blocking.

However we would still need a button for bash. We could also place the emote's wheel's from the D-pad on to down swipe of the touch pad.

We could then place bash on the right d-pad. Yes it would be awkward to use but it's what we have to deal with. You could swap a buff onto this right D-pad also to make it easier to use (if that was possible).

We need more button mapping control!
    Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on May 23, 2016 9:41PM
    PS4 NA DC
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic

Sprint: Instead of clicking L3 to sprint, it's double tap upward's to start sprinting. (Similar to Battlefield 4)

This would then allow you to bind roll dodge or Block to L3. Which solve's any issue's with roll dodge and blocking.

However we would still need a button for bash. We could also place the emote's wheel's from the D-pad on to down swipe of the touch pad.

We could then place bash on the right d-pad. Yes it would be awkward to use but it's what we have to deal with. You could swap a buff onto this right D-pad also to make it easier to use (if that was possible).

They could make double tapping a direction on the left stick perform a dodge roll, tap l3 for bash, hold l3 for sprint. That would actually feel good and make perfect sense. Thats just with 10 seconds of thought after reading your ideas. Im sure with 30 minutes zos could figure out something else if they dont like that.
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Tyrannic

Nobody wants to hold L3 to sprint. Thats the whole reason Battlefeild switched to the double tap forward sprint option.

The problem with double tapping to roll dodge, it would take to long to do the action. Imagine trying to roll more then once all while double tapping. To much of a hassle.

100% zos could figure something out thats more practical.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    @Tyrannic

Nobody wants to hold L3 to sprint. Thats the whole reason Battlefeild switched to the double tap forward sprint option.

The problem with double tapping to roll dodge, it would take to long to do the action. Imagine trying to roll more then once all while double tapping. To much of a hassle.

100% zos could figure something out thats more practical.

I mean it could just be that you hold l3 to start sprinting. And i have no problem double tapping the left stick, i find it just as fast/slow as having to move my right thumb over to a. Plus dodge roll has an animation so its not like you need to tap 4 times in under half a second. I agree that they could probably find a more practical way though. If this thread gets any attention id spend a couple hours finding the best template if it would have any sway, which i doubt it would.
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    If I could remap anyway I wanted on console. I would probably
    1. Place map/menu with tap/hold to the back button allow the trigger to cycle through menus or maps depending on the one I am in.
    2. Place the weapon swap on right analog pressed in
    3. Place crouch on left analog pressed in
    4. Place interact(like it is now),jump(Tap A),sprint(hold A),dodge roll(Hold A+direction of left analog tapped to determine direction)under the idea that you will not sprint unless you hold the stick in a direction X numbers of seconds.
    5. PoV on start button
    6. Either use down on D-pad for cycle backwards in quick slots or a build swap selector if it was ever implemented.
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    1. Place map/menu with tap/hold to the back button allow the trigger to cycle through menus or maps depending on the one I am in.
    4. Place interact(like it is now),jump(Tap A),sprint(hold A),dodge roll(Hold A+direction of left analog tapped to determine direction)under the idea that you will not sprint unless you hold the stick in a direction X numbers of seconds.
    5. PoV on start button
    6. Either use down on D-pad for cycle backwards in quick slots or a build swap selector if it was ever implemented.
    idk. i dont like that scheme because it would mean that your dodge roll would be delayed. i feel like dodge roll should be instant. it would still be better than anything we have currently though.
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    5. PoV on start button
    idk. i dont like that scheme because it would mean that your dodge roll would be delayed. i feel like dodge roll should be instant. it would still be better than anything we have currently though.
    No, the dodge would be instant. Once A is pressed and held you roll the direction of the analog. The sprint would be delayed not activating unless A is held down 2 seconds for example.
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    5. PoV on start button
    No, the dodge would be instant. Once A is pressed and held you roll the direction of the analog. The sprint would be delayed not activating unless A is held down 2 seconds for example.
    Well there has to be some delay for the game to be able to distinguish between a tap and a press.
  • AOECAPS
    AOECAPS
    ✭✭✭✭

The touchpad could alleviate a lot of these issues but it's just treated as another button. Move emotes,pov,etc to the touchpad swipe function out bash roll dodge on the D-Pad which at that point would allow us to personalize it more through the ps4 settings
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @AOECAPS

Having any core function on the dpad is not that good. Since you cannot move and use the dpad at the same time with the left stick (unless you jump like i do while in motion to swap bar's. i personally like having sneak on R3 for ganking)

Giving us the freedom to place actions on the touch pad is the best thing to alleviate issue's. I do think sprint should be changed to double tap in a direction. Which would free up block/roll dodge/Bash for L3.

The best thing in my mind for console players would be to add a block regen cooldown. Since we have so many core functions tied into blocking (roll dodge, bash), it's unfair we get this penalty when trying to do them. So give player's a 2 second window before blocking regen cut's out. This would also make blocking in general much more advantageous to do actively, rather then avoid competently because of the regen penalty.
    PS4 NA DC
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    @AOECAPS

Having any core function on the dpad is not that good. Since you cannot move and use the dpad at the same time with the left stick (unless you jump like i do while in motion to swap bar's. i personally like having sneak on R3 for ganking)

Giving us the freedom to place actions on the touch pad is the best thing to alleviate issue's. I do think sprint should be changed to double tap in a direction. Which would free up block/roll dodge/Bash for L3.

The best thing in my mind for console players would be to add a block regen cooldown. Since we have so many core functions tied into blocking (roll dodge, bash), it's unfair we get this penalty when trying to do them. So give player's a 2 second window before blocking regen cut's out. This would also make blocking in general much more advantageous to do actively, rather then avoid competently because of the regen penalty.
    Giving us a 2 second timer is way too much. that would be so easy to abuse plus we would still lose stam from blocking attacks we dont want to block for a brief period of time before we roll. What about sprint to up-up on the left stick, tap l2 for bash and hold l2 for like .6-.75 seconds to block? Also you can still bash while blocking by just hitting r2 with block up.
  • AOECAPS
    AOECAPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    @AOECAPS

If they changed it we can then nap it hiw we please I have my sprint,LA,sneak,block all keyed differently through ps4 accessibility settings made roll dodging and blocking easier same with weaving light attacks
  • Tyrannic
    Tyrannic
    AOECAPS wrote: »
    @AOECAPS

If they changed it we can then nap it hiw we please I have my sprint,LA,sneak,block all keyed differently through ps4 accessibility settings made roll dodging and blocking easier same with weaving light attacks

Yes that would allow us to get around the issue by mapping the rest to what we like but its really messy and if zos was gonna give us another template they would make sure that its clean. I actually have the perfect template for them to use. They should make tapping LT/L2 perform a bash, holding LT/L2 to block, L3 to roll, tapping A/X to jump/interact and holding A/X to sprint. It all makes perfect sense and is easy to use. They could make holding A/X for sprint a toggle aswell if they want.
  • AOECAPS
    AOECAPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    AOECAPS wrote: »
    @AOECAPS

Yes that would allow us to get around the issue by mapping the rest to what we like but its really messy and if zos was gonna give us another template they would make sure that its clean. I actually have the perfect template for them to use. They should make tapping LT/L2 perform a bash, holding LT/L2 to block, L3 to roll, tapping A/X to jump/interact and holding A/X to sprint. It all makes perfect sense and is easy to use. They could make holding A/X for sprint a toggle aswell if they want.

With all of the things ZOS can't do right you're just giving them more to screw up IMO