Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Darkbrotherhood Roleplay Problems

Kyle_Rennison
Kyle_Rennison
✭✭
Hey everyone so first post do i get a fishy stick??

I will be posting any Roleplay/Lore issues here
So my main point here is the shield icon that appears when you block. This is horrible and completely kills things for Roleplayers completely ruins immersion . What are your opinions fellow roleplayers?

Thanks
Kyle
GTnK Gaming
Drakar
  • Twilix01
    Twilix01
    ✭✭✭
    As a heavy roleplayer, I actually think the shield looks cool.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quite frankly, I'd love to be able to turn the VFX off. Sadly ZOS doesn't allow that..

The main VFX I want to be able to turn off:

The shield icon when blocking
    The green glow after dodge rolling
    The green stamina gain sparkles after a heavy attack

I don't get why we can't turn it off clientside. So the PvPers and whoever else wants/needs it, can see it while we RPers can have an immersive game.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • LMar
      LMar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      We mentioned this in another thread as well. I think the blocking visual doesn't really add anything. It also causes some confusion as we already have a shield up. What's that thing that comes up as well? Another shield? Why? Is it magical? It just doesn't fit
      "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
      "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
    • Kyle_Rennison
      Kyle_Rennison
      ✭✭
      Ok so far very interesting responses i think a toggle option for these things could be good?

@Twilix01 I think its looks okay just ruins immersion as you dont get a shield icon in real life when you block also as a YouTube'r it looks a bit naff for Roleplay Videos
    • Kyle_Rennison
      Kyle_Rennison
      ✭✭
      LMar wrote: »
      We mentioned this in another thread as well. I think the blocking visual doesn't really add anything. It also causes some confusion as we already have a shield up. What's that thing that comes up as well? Another shield? Why? Is it magical? It just doesn't fit

Agreed it dousnt fit in the world. Its not needed at all good on them for making it and i can appreciate the work they have put in to the update i just dont think its right to have that icon when blocking.
    • Kyle_Rennison
      Kyle_Rennison
      ✭✭
      Also has anyone else here had some sound issues during combat? Same as what we had at the start of thieves guild DLC
    • CasNation
      CasNation
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      While I understand the concern from an RP sense here is how I justify it (and the fact that any character can hide out in the open with no cover):

Every PC is inherently a mage. Or, if that term is too specialized for you, a "magic-user." You can block projectiles in this game with a staff or a sword. That doesn't make any sense. Only a shield can realistically do that. So, instead the player projects a magical aura around them (block works 360°) to defend themselves and mitigate the incoming damage. Every PC intrinsically has access to this "base magic" that a few hundred years down the line would be called alteration magic.

In a similar vein, every character has the ability to use minor shadow magic to make themselves blend in with the surroundings to avoid detection. Anyone crouching in the middle of a giant courtyard in broad daylight would be seen. However, in ESO, we aren't. In fact, an auto of shadow even appears around our characters when we successfully hide, indicating that some magic is present in the action.

I could keep going and talk about magically fueled dodge - rolls (c'mon, almost no one can perform those kinds of acrobatics without extensive training) but I think I have made my point.

To be clear, I am not attempting to invalidate your concern about the block thing. Some people want to play characters with no magic-leaning abilities whatsoever. However, I do think that the new block glyph has a place in ESO lore.
      PC NA AD
      Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
      Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
      Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
      Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
      Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
    • LMar
      LMar
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Let's not confuse gameplay mechanisms with lore :P I think it would be better if t here was an option to just disable it so that everyone can choose how it looks
      "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
      "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
    • Kyle_Rennison
      Kyle_Rennison
      ✭✭
      CasNation wrote: »
      While I understand the concern from an RP sense here is how I justify it (and the fact that any character can hide out in the open with no cover):

Every PC is inherently a mage. Or, if that term is too specialized for you, a "magic-user." You can block projectiles in this game with a staff or a sword. That doesn't make any sense. Only a shield can realistically do that. So, instead the player projects a magical aura around them (block works 360°) to defend themselves and mitigate the incoming damage. Every PC intrinsically has access to this "base magic" that a few hundred years down the line would be called alteration magic.

In a similar vein, every character has the ability to use minor shadow magic to make themselves blend in with the surroundings to avoid detection. Anyone crouching in the middle of a giant courtyard in broad daylight would be seen. However, in ESO, we aren't. In fact, an auto of shadow even appears around our characters when we successfully hide, indicating that some magic is present in the action.

I could keep going and talk about magically fueled dodge - rolls (c'mon, almost no one can perform those kinds of acrobatics without extensive training) but I think I have made my point.

To be clear, I am not attempting to invalidate your concern about the block thing. Some people want to play characters with no magic-leaning abilities whatsoever. However, I do think that the new block glyph has a place in ESO lore.

I do see your point :) But also as @LMar said a toggle option would be amazing and allow players to choose :)
    • Recremen
      Recremen
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Agreed, it's a pretty pointless visual unless it's on an enemy player or monster. Like, sure, it looks cool, but so does my armor or weapon when I go for a screenshot while holding block. This kills that.
      Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
      Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
    • MarrazzMist
      MarrazzMist
      ✭✭✭✭
      LMar wrote: »

Agree, I was confused with it on PTS, and thought it was maybe set gear effect popping constantly. Not until I saw topics here Irealised what it was. Feels very unnecessary to me, it blocks the real blocking visual effect.

Or is this because of block animation cancel? They said there will be visual clues for every action even when anim cancelling. That case I do understand the reason, but still don't like it.

• Vaoh
      Vaoh
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ="Kyle_Rennison;263323"]Hey everyone so first post do i get a fishy stick??

I will be posting any Roleplay/Lore issues here
      So my main point here is the shield icon that appears when you block. This is horrible and completely kills things for Roleplayers completely ruins immersion . What are your opinions fellow roleplayers?

Thanks
      Kyle
      GTnK Gaming
      Drakar

You have earned 200 Fishy Sticks from me. PS4 NA. If you are on this platform, feel free to send a PSN message to Doncellius for your reward :)

Not kidding!
      Edited by Vaoh on May 1, 2016 7:49AM
    • Valorin
      Valorin
      ✭✭✭
      I also dislike not being able to turn that shield off.
      Also made a thread for that earlier. :D

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/262956/about-that-magic-shield-when-i-block-now#latest
    • ADarklore
      ADarklore
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I agree with everyone that has said we need a TOGGLE to turn this shield 'off'... it really doesn't add ANYTHING to the game. Not sure why ZOS devs spend their time adding things that nobody has requested and doesn't add anything beneficial to the game IMO. Clearly people know when they're blocking by our own character block animation, we don't need the extra visual.
      CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
    • kifyiib14a_ESO
      I really want a toggle for the shield. Hate it. I don't care what I have equipped it just looks dumb. I would like to turn it off for myself as well as NPCs.
    • ListerJMC
      ListerJMC
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm not even a roleplayer and I hate the shield. Please allow us to toggle it off I don't want to see it, I am capable of determining when I'm activating block without being notified like this.
      PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
      "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
    • Rohamad_Ali
      Rohamad_Ali
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Make these new visual ques toggle so RP doesn't get distracting .
    • Enodoc
      Enodoc
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hey everyone so first post do i get a fishy stick??
      Fishy_stick_zps41f796d9.png

UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
      Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    • Turelus
      Turelus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      This hampers roleplay in no way at all. All you need for roleplay are two people with a way to communicate and imagination. Everything else is a perk.

As for immersion I can see what people are saying with this. I am surprised ZOS keep pushing changes like this through without toggle options considering how much people complain. On the other hand my immersion normally isn't broken by the game effects but the naked Nord running past screaming the scientific word for a man's genitalia.
      @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
      "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    • morahku
      morahku
      Soul Shriven
      Kendaric wrote: »
      Quite frankly, I'd love to be able to turn the VFX off. Sadly ZOS doesn't allow that..

The main VFX I want to be able to turn off:

The shield icon when blocking
      The green glow after dodge rolling
      The green stamina gain sparkles after a heavy attack

I don't get why we can't turn it off clientside. So the PvPers and whoever else wants/needs it, can see it while we RPers can have an immersive game.

I'm also in agreement. From a roleplay element, I'd like to see these shiny new VFX's to have a Gameplay Settings menu turn-off button, so that while RPing in PVE it feels a lot less like we're shattering the 4th wall and saying to ourselves "Oh good! I'm actually blocking!"

On a sidenote, they're helpful when running dungeons and the spawned enemies are everywhere. I actually know when I'm blocking now instead of just seeing my character getting thrown back across the screen away from the enemy-player swarm. So that's the nice element.

If ZOS decides to not fix this issue, those with Addon capabilities will probably make something for us RPers who do not appreciate the conundrum it creates for us.

My secondary issue is something I know I shouldn't complain about, but it's the Dark Brotherhood opener and being forced to kill someone completely innocent. In Oblivion and Skyrim, the openings still held a vigilante feel, and my characters could justify murdering someone because ultimately the person you were putting an end to did something bad. Last night my character-conundrum bit me when I was RPing my spanky-new goody-two-shoe Altmer Healer, she went in for the kill alongside her partner, and then afterward realized this morality fail. Personally, I'd like to see an Optional Sidequest (I don't care if it's WAY harder than attacking the innocent bystander) to kill someone who's actually corrupt so Uppity Gamers suffering from this morality crisis with their characters can feel less dirty for wanting to play the content with their Party Characters. Again! I know the whole point of the Dark Brotherhood is to be bad, that TO is pre-Oblivion/Skyrim, and I already feel silly bringing this tiny crisis up, but for those who enjoy the RP element of the game, this is a true struggle that we must pick and choose who we play in the new DLC.
      Edited by morahku on June 1, 2016 2:29PM
      "For She is the scintilla that fears not darkness, and swims the waves of pull and spin...."

Guildmaster of: The Foundry of Merid-Nunda
    • Stoltverd
      Stoltverd
      ✭✭✭
      I would like to point out the bow heavy attack indicator too!

I understand that some changes have to be applied to the whole player base, like the skill changes or the removal of the veteran ranks since they are tied to the leveling system.
      I understand that making the indicators toggleable is troublesome because it could give those that have it on an advantage in PvP.
      However we roleplayers exist too...
      I have an idea:
      Make the indicators automatically toggle ONLY in PvP zones. I believe it's hard but I also believe it wouldn't be so troublesome regarding to balance (that with so many changes to skills and the removal of vr I'm pretty sure it's the current focus)