The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Sorc in VMSA? How is it now?

Pallio
Pallio
✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone else try to run VMSA with the 6sec shield nerf?
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallio wrote: »

It's not going to be very different.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zyk wrote: »

It is for those of us who don't shield spam. Although it's something the good players will be able to adapt to.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »

It is for those of us who don't shield spam. Although it's something the good players will be able to adapt to.

A pushed sorc is usually already casting hardened ward more than once every six seconds. 90% of the time, the change in duration won't be a factor at all.
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So bar swapping every 6sec instead of 20 has no impact?
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I keep hardened Ward on my front bar at all times. I don't trust the game performance at all to have my shields on my back bar
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »

I keep hardened Ward on my front bar at all times. I don't trust the game performance at all to have my shields on my back bar

Which is why this change makes no sense.
    Aldonius Direnni - Vet Altmer Sorc (AD)
    Tyrus Telvanni - Vet Dunmer DK (AD)
    Al Donius Bundy - Vet Imperial NB (AD)
    Aldonius Brutus - Vet Orc DK (DC)
  • Aldruin
    Aldruin
    ✭✭✭

What everyone who are complaining about sorc shield nerf don't understand is that you never ever have your shields up for 20 secs in combat. This change won't affect your gameplay almost at all, and on the other hand you will have even better protection with harness magicka against physical attacks. Hate me but magicka got buffed. Mag sorc is already one of the easiest classes for VMSA and you should have no problem completing it in the next patch.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In heavy combat situations this is correct, but sorcs are going to need more regen because the shields have always have to be up and definitely weren't always go down in under 6 seconds.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

In heavy combat situations this is correct, but sorcs are going to need more regen because the shields have always have to be up and definitely weren't always go down in under 6 seconds.

lol...overload will keep your resources up, so why even think about regen?
    Noobplar
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Because sorcs will have to cast shields more often and sometimes they might want to save their overload. Sorcs will be using more magicka in DB patch, perhaps not as much to merit adding more regen to their build for more experienced players who have the spawns memorized and don't waste their mana recovering from mistakes. Less experienced players, however, will probably notice a difference.
    Edited by Joy_Division on May 2, 2016 2:30PM
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destruent wrote: »

Because sorcs will have to cast shields more often and sometimes they might want to save their overload. Sorcs will be using more magicka in DB patch, perhaps not as much to merit adding more regen to their build for more experienced players who have the spawns memorized and don't waste their mana recovering from mistakes. Less experienced players, however, will probably notice a difference.

Sure, but Sorcs have (together with NBs) the easiest resource-management in vMSA.
    And a new player will add more regen, even if the sorcs ward will (theoretically) last 20 seconds, bc he will need to recast them more often.
    Noobplar
  • Smolt
    Smolt
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried it, but I think this will be the one place sorcs will feel the pain... My shields usually last allot longer than 6 seconds, and I only use hardened ward in there. I use a two piece kena and am careful not to pop shields with kena proceed unless I have to. This will really hurt DPS and magicka supply badly. I will be done farming it before the patch though, but to those who haven't done it yet have fun learning it on your sorc now. Should really just be making shields crit-able or making the nerf part of battle spirit.
  • Sk000tch
    Sk000tch
    ✭✭✭
    Same "good players will adapt" nonsense argument here as elsewhere, though most don't even seem to have read OP question. Of course good players will adapt, doesn't mean its a good change. PvP will require some changes to sorc play style and regearing for more impen, but nothing terrible like pve tanks. I think most will miss dawnbreaker more.

Haven't run it, but vMSA effect will be significant (moreso than PvP or group PVE). All 4-man is face roll now, I don't do trials but those I personally know don't waste the slot/resources on it. vMSA is different though, sustainable shields are critical (even for aggressive builds that heal via power surge), will be interesting to see how much the scores change (I suspect they go to DK territory).
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    The change will definitely cost me another death or 3. And I may switch to Kags from Julianos for a bit more non-shield buffer and regen. I might even drop down to 80 Bastion to put some more points into Hardy/elemental.

But sorc will still be relatively easy
  • tfraley
    tfraley
    I have spent many hours working on a new build in PTS for my sorc..

Let me add the change to shields are a nerf.

Reason:
    Most of us run Front bar dual wield and back bar staff

We normally run two shields (hardened ward and magicward/healingward) on our back bar.

This is impossible now

Think of this your in a group and lead calls out buff now and go in.
    You on back bar and cast your two shields then swap to front bar... now you have 3 seconds left to close a gap to close in on the enemy and engage.

Sorc's live and die by their shields as on "Live server" we don't even look at health we know if we are it one or two times without it, we are dead.

So entering combat at the point where our shields are going down is not optimum

To counter that I had to move "hardendward" to front bar (so losing a dps skill slot there not optimum since front bar has more spell dmg). I went back to restro staff and keel healingward on the back bar.

Resource management is a big deal and you may feel like a fish out of water at first learning a new way to play because of this. Those that say it doesn't matter hasn't tested it enough.

First harddend ward if you notice cost about 100 more magika not sure why but it's what my tool tips shows.
    TIP: you can run PTS and Live at the same time and compare your stats.

Now some will say your spamming it anyway but not that case, your watching timers and how low your shields are. At 6 seconds you don't watch the timer anymore you only watch the shields levels.

I don't know what the intention is with this patch and Sorcs or what they are trying to get out of these changes. We also do not know what the endgame/final version will look like in a few weeks. Are they trying to change our playstyle? who knows?

I will say I've made it work with allot of testing more then I think the average person will do, especially if they are not on PTS.
    TIP: Rethink everything even the basic's

• Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surge seems a lot worse now, shields are terrible.. can't figure out how to savage a viable build yet..
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Done before patch. Using Hardened ward + Harness, no issue.

After patch, no issue either, just running only Hardened ward instead of Hardened + Harness.

On a side note: Overload sucks. There, I said it. All hail Ice Comet for AoE burst + CC.

Magicka issue? Magicka pots. Killing blow dealt with Force pulse / Weave.
    Edited by Asmael on June 13, 2016 12:28PM
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.