Maintenance for the week of August 19:
· [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – August 21, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – August 21, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

How to start the Dark Brotherhood questline

starlizard70ub17_ESO
starlizard70ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Simple question that I couldn't find anywhere, how do I start the Dark Brotherhood questline? I was stuck as a lot of people were with the download failure for the last 4 days. I want to spend my time testing the new skill lines, crafting, poisoning, etc, on my chrs and don't want to waste a day or 2 trying to find the quest giver. thanks for your help.
"We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any outlaw refuge
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your help :)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to your collectibles, DLC tab, click Dark Brotherhood and click "start quest".

Alternativelly, port to the Anvil wayshrine in the Gold Coast, go to the outlaw refuge and find the NPC with the quest in there. I didn't check any other outlaw refuge so I don't know if this NPC appears in all of them like Quen or only in the Anvil one.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found the NPC in Vukhel Guard outlaw refuge, so I assume she is in all of them, like Quen from TG.

I think if you are going to be using a template character you will start right near the boat to Anvil, so that would be your quickest way of starting, just go to Anvil and find the NPC in the outlaw refuge there (the 'out of town' refuge entrance is right near the docks and wayshrine).

If you are not using a template character and want to test poison-making and get going on that quickly, trolls drop the oil (I mention this because it took me a good 3 days to find any!) so probably worth going somewhere you know there are trolls and farming some so you have a supply ready for when you start finding the reagents. I haven't tried a template character, but I suspect the mats may well be in one of the mat crates you are given.

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trollslayer's Gully in the Rift, Darkwater crossing or Trolls Toothpick dungeon seem like the best places for troll hunting.
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also Sanguine Barrows in Rivenspire, and the Falinesti site in Grahtwood have a lot of trolls.

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Abeille wrote: »
    Go to your collectibles, DLC tab, click Dark Brotherhood and click "start quest".

Alternativelly, port to the Anvil wayshrine in the Gold Coast, go to the outlaw refuge and find the NPC with the quest in there. I didn't check any other outlaw refuge so I don't know if this NPC appears in all of them like Quen or only in the Anvil one.

^This^ is how I started my fancy death-cam escapades in PTS ...