The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Price of new char slots - I'm worried

Jakhajay
Jakhajay
✭✭✭✭
Is anyone worried about the price of or the upcoming new character slots (supposedly coming with DB) given the outrageous price ZOS set for the neutered assistants. I hope many people voted with their wallets like I did. But the price of those has me worried that ZOS will not charge a fair price for more character slots.

Last I checked, the price of the base game was about $15 USD or 1500 crowns, $40 NZD/$27USD or 2700 for 8 char slots. Which works out to ~340 crowns per char slot. Now this is pretty darn cheap. But it comes with it's own costs: no dyes, have to buy DLCs again, juggling mail etc. A guildie has 2 accounts and it sounds like a royal PITA. Now, I'm not saying we should make new char slots so cheap, because we will be paying for the convenience of having access to all the stuff already unlocked on our account. But, making them too ridiculously overpriced (like the neutered assistants) will make people choose a second account over a new slot or 5, or worse, drive them away entirely.

IMHO a fair price for a new character slot would be about 500-700 crowns. High enough to account for the convenience of having access to all your stuff, but low enough to not push people towards a second account.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Corrected price of base game in my corner of the world and subsequent math
Edited by Jakhajay on April 15, 2016 1:03AM
Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
For Elsweyr and her people!
  • Korah_Eaglecry
    Korah_Eaglecry
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jakhajay wrote: »
    Is anyone worried about the price of or the upcoming new character slots (supposedly coming with DB) given the outrageous price ZOS set for the neutered assistants. I hope many people voted with their wallets like I did. But the price of those has me worried that ZOS will not charge a fair price for more character slots.

Last I checked, the price of the base game was about $15 USD or 1500 crowns, for 8 char slots. Which works out to ~190 crowns per char slot. Now this is pretty darn cheap. But it comes with it's own costs: no dyes, have to buy DLCs again, juggling mail etc. A guildie has 2 accounts and it sounds like a royal PITA. Now, I'm not saying we should make new char slots so cheap, because we will be paying for the convenience of having access to all the stuff already unlocked on our account. But, making them too ridiculously overpriced (like the neutered assistants) will make people choose a second account over a new slot or 5, or worse, drive them away entirely.

IMHO a fair price for a new character slot would be about 500-700 crowns. High enough to account for the convenience of having access to all your stuff, but low enough to not push people towards a second account.

What do you guys think?

Unless youre looking at the games on sale in some store or online store. Its 59.99 for the base game. Even two years after its release on PC and almost a year after its release on Console. So if we're breaking down how much a character slot costs based on the base game cost. Its closer to $7.50 per slot.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount - Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry * Enrerion Aedihle * Laerinel Rhaev * Caius Berilius * Seylina Ithvala * H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Tenarei Rhaev * Dazsh Ro Khar * Yynril Rothvani * Bathes-In-Coin * Anaelle Faerniil * Azjani Ma'Les
    Aban Shahid Bakr * Kheshna gra-Gharbuk * Gallisten Bondurant * Etain Maquier * Atsu Kalame * Faulpia Severinus
    What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort? - Paarthurnax
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would expect them to be in the 500-1000 crowns range. More likely at the 1000, since the base game -already- gives everyone eight slots...

It is not just the "base game price / character slots" thing though, compared to opening a second account, extra character slots also get you champion system (which will soon mean max level at reaching 50), account bank, crown store and dye unlocks... all those make buying an additional character slot a much better deal then going for a second account... which most likely will reflect in the price.

BtW, last time I checked the base game still went for $60, nominally... so your calculations may be a tad off... ;)
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're right, my calculations were a bit off. At my usual vendor, it sells for $40NZD normally. Which is about $27USD. Sod steam and it's 'you-live-in-the-arse-end-of-the-world-so-we'll-double-the-price' price ($70NZD yikes!).

So yeah, bare bones base game / char slots is ~340 crowns, and I have corrected the original post. But yeah, I agree that 500 to 1000 is fair, and any more than that is simply ridiculous. I'm just worried that ZOS will set an absolutely asinine price like with the neutered assistants.
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You're right, my calculations were a bit off. At my usual vendor, it sells for $40NZD normally. Which is about $27USD. Sod steam and it's 'you-live-in-the-arse-end-of-the-world-so-we'll-double-the-price' price ($70NZD yikes!).

So yeah, bare bones base game / char slots is ~340 crowns, and I have corrected the original post. But yeah, I agree that 500 to 1000 is fair, and any more than that is simply ridiculous. I'm just worried that ZOS will set an absolutely asinine price like with the neutered assistants.

I think the functionality of the assistants could be worth their price, if future 'skins' for assistants, like horses, had a more reasonable price. Otherwise though it makes me very hesitant to buy assistants because I'd like to have a choice in styles before I throw 100 dollars at the game.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Banker doesn't do the guild bank/ Merchant doesn't repair - not worth it IMHO.

But that's besides the point. $50 for something like that is re-frickin-diculous. What might they charge for something that is actually useful? Like a new character slot?

• dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

But that's besides the point. $50 for something like that is re-frickin-diculous. What might they charge for something that is actually useful? Like a new character slot?

I see them more as 'pets that have a use'. The Banker can at least let you chuck in some of those extra entolomas, pumpkins, lockpicks, etc that you really don't need on your person. Its just a quality of life time saver so you don't have to keep going to town and can keep on fighting. I don't have too much of a problem with the concept, essentially they are saying you need to have SOME reason to go back to town, you know that social hub thing where you can bump into other players doing their thing. Which is not to say you can't do that far afield in combat, but I think they want their cities to have life in them. The problem I have with it is just how narrow the choice is. You get a redguard or a dunmer. I don't have a problem with either, but like I've said before i want to wait for more options to come out before I even consider it at their price point. It might take years before I see something that really sells to me. That is where I think they made their mistake.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont buy them if your dont like the price lol, simple as that . I dont know why people need more then 8 anyways, geesh... I mean really, you need more then 8 chars? Maybe its time to spend a few hours away from ESO per day lol.
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do we need more than 8 char slots? @Tessie lays it out very well nicely here

Quote for the lazy:
    Tessie wrote: »
    Reasons for having more than 1 (or 4 or 8 or 16 or 32) character slots
    • Role playing
    • Genders
    • Races
    • Magicka vs Stamina builds
    • Preference for getting XP (and additional CP) via solo PvE questing
    • Leveling alts with friends locks that alt to them, so you often need at least 1 alt per friend you're leveling with because schedules don't always align. Especially true of Rings of Mara.

Often this type of topic tries to answer the above by suggesting multiple accounts, deleting characters, or respec. So here's my reasons against those.

Reasons against other accounts:
    • Champion points aren't shared across accounts and our efforts become diluted
    • ESO+ benefits aren't shared across accounts
    • Inconvenient email, friend management, guild, inventory, bank

Reasons against deleting characters:
    • We become invested emotionally in our characters
    • We become invested materially in our characters (crown store upgrades, gold unlocks for inventory)
    • We become invested time wise due to time gated horse unlocks
    • We want to continue to be able to use them as crafters
    • I need to find room for all 170 of a character's inventory items before I can delete them, and then only gain back 60 slots once the new character is created

Reasons against respec
    • Race matters. Going from stamina to magicka but not having the racial bonuses appropriate
    • Appearance (I'll admit this one is petty, but I do it) I want my tanks to be big hulking characters and my casters to be diminutive.
    • Role play Also for those that role play, the gender and other design choices might not be aligned with their vision for the new character
    • You won't have unlocked all of the abilities you may otherwise have had if you'd of leveled the class that way
    • You miss the experience of learning the nuances of that build during the leveling process (think stamina vs magicka)
    • Your vampire or werewolf choices may not apply to the new playstyle

Any yeah, if the price of slots is too asinine, I'll give ZOS even less money by getting a second account and spending ZERO crowns on it

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone worried about the price of or the upcoming new character slots (supposedly coming with DB)

First I've heard of this. Where was it supposedly said?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    ESO Live January 15th

Summary here
    Buying extra character slots planned for Q2/DB update.

• Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am hoping it is less than, but at the very least, no more than 1000 crowns, if it is more than that I would be very reluctant and hesitant to consider it.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reevster wrote: »
    Dont buy them if your dont like the price lol, simple as that . I dont know why people need more then 8 anyways, geesh... I mean really, you need more then 8 chars? Maybe its time to spend a few hours away from ESO per day lol.

I would like more slots,cos mine are filled.And I do NOT need a few hours away from ESO per day.
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would be willing to pay UP to 1500, per slot, but I would be able to live with the eight, if they were more expensive. the cheaper the more I'll keep playing ESO. Hit hit, nudge nudge.
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Last I checked, the price of the base game was about $15 USD or 1500 crowns, for 8 char slots. Which works out to ~190 crowns per char slot. Now this is pretty darn cheap. But it comes with it's own costs: no dyes, have to buy DLCs again, juggling mail etc. A guildie has 2 accounts and it sounds like a royal PITA. Now, I'm not saying we should make new char slots so cheap, because we will be paying for the convenience of having access to all the stuff already unlocked on our account. But, making them too ridiculously overpriced (like the neutered assistants) will make people choose a second account over a new slot or 5, or worse, drive them away entirely.

What do you guys think?

Unless youre looking at the games on sale in some store or online store. Its 59.99 for the base game. Even two years after its release on PC and almost a year after its release on Console. So if we're breaking down how much a character slot costs based on the base game cost. Its closer to $7.50 per slot.

I bought base game for $25, imp edition was like $35. Maybe I just got lucky and it was on sale, did not even shop around, it was just the price when I was looking.
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm also hoping for 1,000 Crowns (or less :wink:). I have all 8 slots filled and have become invested in all my alts, even those that started out as mules. I've invested time and gold upgrading their character inventories and horses (all maxed). I've even completed research on them for their specific crafts. I still have an all-in-one crafter, but for some reason decided to have them research traits for the gear they use. Also, I've given them my duplicate recipes and they all know all the basic gear styles, with several knowing the 4 purples.

And, I'm a PC transfer, so can't get some of the achievements unless I delete one of my characters or get another account (which I don't want to do for the myriad of reasons already listed).
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO a fair price for a new character slot would be about 500-700 crowns.

I think the price is gong to be more like the price of a mount, maybe 3000 crowns.

Edit:
    I can't see them selling a slot at the price of a costume, it will be higher than that I am assuming.
    Edited by vamp_emily on April 22, 2016 8:30PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• DragonSamurai360
    DragonSamurai360
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't even got close to 8 slots filled yet, because I don't play ESO all the time. I only have two characters currently, one level 44 and one level 18. Although if it's decent enough crown price I might buy an extra two slots just to make sure I have enough to last a while.

EDIT: I'm also a PC transfer to Xbox One NA if anyone wants to know, I just haven't settled down with any character until recently and thus I had an addiction to deleting and creating new characters for the longest time.
    Edited by DragonSamurai360 on April 23, 2016 12:05AM
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Last I checked, the price of the base game was about $15 USD or 1500 crowns, $40 NZD/$27USD or 2700 for 8 char slots. Which works out to ~340 crowns per char slot. Now this is pretty darn cheap. But it comes with it's own costs: no dyes, have to buy DLCs again, juggling mail etc. A guildie has 2 accounts and it sounds like a royal PITA. Now, I'm not saying we should make new char slots so cheap, because we will be paying for the convenience of having access to all the stuff already unlocked on our account. But, making them too ridiculously overpriced (like the neutered assistants) will make people choose a second account over a new slot or 5, or worse, drive them away entirely.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: Corrected price of base game in my corner of the world and subsequent math

You know this is ZO$, right?
  • BlueViolet
    BlueViolet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also worried. I was hoping for 1000 crowns or less. Ideally around 500 ( but I think I'm just dreaming there )
    I had it in mind to buy a bunch of slots, because I love alts, but if they're anything over 1k, I doubt I'll be able to.

:/
    EU / NA / PC
  • Suru
    Suru
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should give us two free slots, and buy more if necessary.

Suru
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not worried,unless they release a new class.
  • LaucianNailor
    LaucianNailor
    ✭✭✭
    More than 1000 then it just won't happen for me; hell, give subscribers 2 extra to encourage a sub would be fine just don't attempt to gouge us like the assistants prices.
    (Oh and if you dropped your sub, you'd only have access to the first 8 characters you logged in until you either re-sub or bought the slots......at 1000 max each ;) )
    Mac/PC EU Server

Lots of alts....561+ CP
    Inside Trade Guild
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did they announce character slots? Some link?

Anyway, let's face it, drawbacks of an extra account are so severe that price of one extra character slot not only does not have to be lower than price of the game, but can be actually higher and slots would still sell.
  • FearlessOne_2014
    FearlessOne_2014
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They will charge 7500 crowns per character slots or more just to troll us.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Suru wrote: »
    They should give us two free slots, and buy more if necessary.

Technically, they gave us 7 free slots, and it looks like they will let you buy more, if necessary. :smile:

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be 5000 crowns min, thats my prediction... :|
  • Elderscrollian
    Elderscrollian
    ✭✭✭
    If they are any more than 1500-2000 crowns each then they can whistle I won't be buying any. they already get a subscription plus additional purchases from me, I'm not being nickel and dimed for MORE reason to play. If they won't make them prohibitive with something silly like the banker etc.. 5000 crown price then they'll just drive folks away
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would propose that they are not really comparable. The assistants are a "convenience" shortcut to something that's already available in-game, while character slots will be the first foray into a "service" which cannot be obtained in-game. I would expect character slots to go for around 1000-2000 Crowns.
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Where did they announce character slots? Some link?
    @JamilaRaj http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2016/04/19/dark-brotherhood-first-look
    Tons of updates to the Crown Store including additional character slots, motif previews, and hats
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what they cost, give the to ESO subscribers for free (two), if they unsubscribe those slots are frozen unless they pay to activate them.

Oh, and since they get this, let the rest of us buy a crafting bag!
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If its under 1000 Crowns I will buy 4 slots.

2000-1000, I will buy 2.

Over 2000? I'll still pick up one extra.

My guess is 1500 or 2000 crowns per, though. And I think thats relatively fair. If you need more than 8 slots, haven't you gotten enough playtime out of the game to justify the cost?
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub