The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

New ways to get crowns?

dinogamer14miku
I've been thinking about this for a long time and finally decided to talk about it, IS there a way, ANY kind of way, CAN there be a way to earn crowns without simply paying for them? I understand it helps ESOTU in lots of ways to get money this way but there's just one problem: NOT EVERYBODY CAN SIMPLY PAY FOR CROWNS. there are a ton of people out there that have the money to get crowns like this, Im sure you noticed this when the game first came out and a ton of players already had cool, expensive looking mounts while other players (including myself) had no choice but to just look on, hoping that we too could one day get cool things like that. Im sure there can be ways to earn crowns like beating really hard bosses in dungeons or getting really rare awards or trophy's that might give some as a reward, Maybe even special events. Right now Im a level 43 character and i don't even have a ESOTU plus membership yet thou i plan to try to get one soon. Im not firing shots towards the players that have money to do this but I hope Im giving a request on behalf of the players out there who need this. Comment on this as much as you like cause i would like to know what you guys think. May this Discussion get noticed.
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can play perfectly fine without spending 1 crown. Let ZOS make their money.
  • dinogamer14miku
    Its true that you can and i should be thankful for it, but have you ever wanted something really cool in a game like this but ya just couldnt get it?
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Its true that you can and i should be thankful for it, but have you ever wanted something really cool in a game like this but ya just couldnt get it?

The crown store is how ZOS monetizes the game. If they started giving out crowns in-game the farming would be extreme, revenue would dry up and the servers would be shut down.

I understand wanting something and not being able to get it sucks, but that's just a part of life. I assume you bought the game, can you really not scrape together $10-$15 for a mount?
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • dinogamer14miku
    I probably sound cheap but its hard for me to do that, I do plan to try and get the membership thou so mabye i should be just thankful and get that.
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭

yeah, and in real life as well. It is called being an adult
  • dinogamer14miku
    true, true
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Sub,and you'll get crowns that way. 1500 of em.
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but in a Buy-to-play MMO there will always be a cash shop, with things only real money can buy. This is the only way they can continually get funding. Without funding they wouldn't be able to add new content, fix bugs, etc.. It's the whole "no one works for free" thing - the people behind the game need food on their table too.

I sub myself, which means every month I get the 1500 Crowns - which is great, if you really love vanity and consumables. Eventually, though, you'll start running out of things to buy! :lol:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • Xellos77
    Xellos77
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS has to implement a strategy to make money because not everyone subs. Nothing in the CS is needed to play the game and get what you pay for in terms a B2P model.

Most of the CS stuff is cosmetic and I get the appeal of fashion. ZOS gotta eat too though.
    Ebonheart Pact/PS4/NA
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    @dinogamer14miku you are a good man
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sometimes have sales on crowns, this is where it is good to buy lots of crowns and then buy the DLC's and other items you want.

It's much cheaper than paying subscription every month like I do.
    I honestly just pay sub to support the game, and I sometimes buy additional crowns. Economically this is the less smart option :p

Btw. as a level ~40 player you really don't need a sub. The basegame is good untill you finish the main quest in all 3 alliances + lower and upper Craglorn, after this DLC's start to matter.

I have many Crown Store mounts, but a lot of the time I just use my black horse that I bought for gold, back at the early game, because it is the most simple and elegant looking mount.

Pets are cute, however you end up annoying people around you, if you have pets out constantly - specially if you get to vet ranks and start doing dungeons. A lot of people are annoyed by pet sounds, and pets standing in their way inside dungeos or bank and towns.

Costumes are really nice - problem is that so many people wear the same costumes, they are often weird and clip into weapons or if your char is argonian or khajiit it clips into the tail, proportions get distorted, and you can not dye them. So a lot of players actually use ingame achievable disguises, that you get through questing.
    - costumes are looked down upon in dungeons and trials, because they have caused many bugs and disconnections in the past and they still do.

If you really don't know how to earn money in the game to buy a shiny black horsie, then go farm flowers and raw materials:

PC/ EU minimum prices:
    low level raw materials:
    • Rough wood 16g
    • Raw cloth and leather/hide 20g
    • Ore 30g
    Flowers:
    • Columbine 300g
    • Lady's Smock 140g
    • Namira's Rot 90g

PC/ EU maximum prices:
    Low level raw materials:
    • Rough wood 26g
    • Raw cloth and leather/hide 30g
    • Ore 55g
    Flowers:
    • Columbine 510g
    • Lady's Smock 350g
    • Namira's Rot 140g
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on April 15, 2016 5:02PM
  • dinogamer14miku
    Prabooo wrote: »

I understand, and its good "woman" :)
  • dinogamer14miku
    They sometimes have sales on crowns, this is where it is good to buy lots of crowns and then buy the DLC's and other items you want.

It's much cheaper than paying subscription every month like I do.
    I honestly just pay sub to support the game, and I sometimes buy additional crowns. Economically this is the less smart option :p

Btw. as a level ~40 player you really don't need a sub. The basegame is good untill you finish the main quest in all 3 alliances + lower and upper Craglorn, after this DLC's start to matter.

I have many Crown Store mounts, but a lot of the time I just use my black horse that I bought for gold, back at the early game, because it is the most simple and elegant looking mount.

Pets are cute, however you end up annoying people around you, if you have pets out constantly - specially if you get to vet ranks and start doing dungeons. A lot of people are annoyed by pet sounds, and pets standing in their way inside dungeos or bank and towns.

Costumes are really nice - problem is that so many people wear the same costumes, they are often weird and clip into weapons or if your char is argonian or khajiit it clips into the tail, proportions get distorted, and you can not dye them. So a lot of players actually use ingame achievable disguises, that you get through questing.
    - costumes are looked down upon in dungeons and trials, because they have caused many bugs and disconnections in the past and they still do.

If you really don't know how to earn money in the game to buy a shiny black horsie, then go farm flowers and raw materials:

PC/ EU minimum prices:
    low level raw materials:
    • Rough wood 16g
    • Raw cloth and leather/hide 20g
    • Ore 30g
    Flowers:
    • Columbine 300g
    • Lady's Smock 140g
    • Namira's Rot 90g

PC/ EU maximum prices:
    Low level raw materials:
    • Rough wood 26g
    • Raw cloth and leather/hide 30g
    • Ore 55g
    Flowers:
    • Columbine 510g
    • Lady's Smock 350g
    • Namira's Rot 140g

Thanks for the tips, i do have sweet roll the first horse
  • dinogamer14miku
    I will at least try to get the eso plus then mabye i can try to get crowns when there are deals for them, i try to plan these things :)
  • dinogamer14miku
    Prabooo wrote: »

nah im just kidding, i dont care what ya call me in this case :D
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well a good advice would be, that once you get ESO plus - join up with guildies to do the main quest in IC.

It's pvp area and the mobs are harder than everywhere els in the game. The main quest in Arena and Temple districts are really hard.

• Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To add to what others have said, there is one other way to get crowns without buying them, and that is the ESO Live shows :) Yes it will be like winning the lottery but by commenting there when they do the giveaways you at least have a chance :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • PURPLE245
    PURPLE245
    ✭✭✭
    i think it would be cool for them to add something like you play for like 100 hours you get a few you play for like 1000 hours you get some or like you log in like 7 days in a row you get something i dont have a problem buying them but would be pretty cool
    ↓♛The Fam♛↓
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    AD/High Elf-NB=Chip-D-I-P-S
    AD/High Elf-Sorc=Why Play
    AD/High Elf-Templar=Star Bucks
    AD/High Elf-DK=D-I-P-S
    DC/Orc-DK=Super Nub
    AD/Wood Elf-Templar=L M A O
    AD/Wood Elf-NB=ßoß
    AD/Wood Elf-sorc=Tarzan
    EP/Argonian-dk=Swimming Like A Shark
    PC☜═㋡630+cp ㋡═☞EU
    User ID=@PURPLE97
  • dinogamer14miku
    PURPLE245 wrote: »
    i think it would be cool for them to add something like you play for like 100 hours you get a few you play for like 1000 hours you get some or like you log in like 7 days in a row you get something i dont have a problem buying them but would be pretty cool

Thats what i mean! if any of you have played smite then you could get some of their in game currency by doing daily logins and certain quests and they STILL get alot of money!
  • dinogamer14miku
    Well a good advice would be, that once you get ESO plus - join up with guildies to do the main quest in IC.

It's pvp area and the mobs are harder than everywhere els in the game. The main quest in Arena and Temple districts are really hard.

ill try that
  • dinogamer14miku
    PURPLE245 wrote: »

it would be, like a kind of trophy or something as well
  • dinogamer14miku
    or they could do like warframe and make crowns trade able maybe
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

The crown store is how ZOS monetizes the game. If they started giving out crowns in-game the farming would be extreme, revenue would dry up and the servers would be shut down.

I understand wanting something and not being able to get it sucks, but that's just a part of life. I assume you bought the game, can you really not scrape together $10-$15 for a mount?

Whilst I have no problem with them charging for crowns I'm not convinced it'd be that bad.

Guild Wars 2 has a very similar model - buy to play game with a cash shop and they allow people to buy the cash shop currency for in-game gold. The exchange rate is usually pretty terrible, but that's because it's set by the number of people exchanging each way and apparently a lot more people convert gold to gems (aka crowns) than the other way around. But it doesn't seem to be affecting their ability to make a profit from the store. Admittedly I don't know how much of that is down to other things they do which ESO doesn't, like also allowing people to buy gold with gems (and therefore with real money) or offering flashy weapon skins via cash shop RNG boxes (buy a box, get 3 random items, with a chance for a weapon ticket).

But I think it's safe to say it's not quite as simple as offering cash shop currency in-game makes the buy-to-play model unsustainable and leads to the game being shut down.

As for doing something like that in ESO I don't know. I play GW2 as well so I'm obviously not totally against it, and in general I'm more in favour of getting items by playing the game than any other method, but if they did have to introduce any of the above tactics alongside it to make it work I'd probably rather they didn't.

Maybe they could instead offer the cosmetic items (mounts, costumes, pets etc.) from the crown store as in-game rewards. Make them hard enough to get and many people would choose to buy them instead simply because it's quicker and easier (like the crown store horses vs. in-game horses, crown store ones actually seem more common now) and that way there would still be an incentive for people to buy crowns (and/or subscribe) to get the DLC and other items from the crown store.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • dinogamer14miku
    Danikat wrote: »
    wayfarerx wrote: »

Whilst I have no problem with them charging for crowns I'm not convinced it'd be that bad.

Guild Wars 2 has a very similar model - buy to play game with a cash shop and they allow people to buy the cash shop currency for in-game gold. The exchange rate is usually pretty terrible, but that's because it's set by the number of people exchanging each way and apparently a lot more people convert gold to gems (aka crowns) than the other way around. But it doesn't seem to be affecting their ability to make a profit from the store. Admittedly I don't know how much of that is down to other things they do which ESO doesn't, like also allowing people to buy gold with gems (and therefore with real money) or offering flashy weapon skins via cash shop RNG boxes (buy a box, get 3 random items, with a chance for a weapon ticket).

But I think it's safe to say it's not quite as simple as offering cash shop currency in-game makes the buy-to-play model unsustainable and leads to the game being shut down.

As for doing something like that in ESO I don't know. I play GW2 as well so I'm obviously not totally against it, and in general I'm more in favour of getting items by playing the game than any other method, but if they did have to introduce any of the above tactics alongside it to make it work I'd probably rather they didn't.

Maybe they could instead offer the cosmetic items (mounts, costumes, pets etc.) from the crown store as in-game rewards. Make them hard enough to get and many people would choose to buy them instead simply because it's quicker and easier (like the crown store horses vs. in-game horses, crown store ones actually seem more common now) and that way there would still be an incentive for people to buy crowns (and/or subscribe) to get the DLC and other items from the crown store.

I AGREE WITH YOU! i know you can already get pets and costumes from beating dungeons and such BUT IT WOULD BE AMAZING if mounts were included as well for beating certain dungeons and such.
  • dinogamer14miku
    Seriously, i would go ahead and instantly shut up if they had mounts or just certain mounts as in rewards! :)
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking about this for a long time and finally decided to talk about it, IS there a way, ANY kind of way, CAN there be a way to earn crowns without simply paying for them? I understand it helps ESOTU in lots of ways to get money this way but there's just one problem: NOT EVERYBODY CAN SIMPLY PAY FOR CROWNS...
    And yet, this is the only way you can get them - either subscribe to ESO+, or buy them outright. That is how they make the money to keep paying their employees, server upkeep, and show enough of a profit for the suits in charge to not pull the plugs on ESO. Asking for crowns any other way is basically asking someone there to work for free... do you work for free on a regular basis? Would you like it if people -demanded- you work without payment so they can have something without paying?

Now, about the way crowns are sold, that could be debatable... might be that adding a way for people without online paying options to get crowns as well (like, pay for a timecard in a local store, get all crowns for it, or something like that...). That might be a worthy discussion. Asking them to forego their paycheck so you can have free stuff? Not so much IMO...
    Im sure you noticed this when the game first came out and a ton of players already had cool, expensive looking mounts while other players (including myself) had no choice but to just look on, hoping that we too could one day get cool things like that...
    These players (like me) had been paying subscription for the game ever since launch, and thus got a nice chunk of crowns from their subscription when the crown store became active with the "Tamriel Unlimited" re-release. No secret to it...

Point is, some things you can only buy in the crown store (DLCs). Most other things you may buy in the crown store, but... these are entirely optional (extra-special mounts, costumes) or can be gained in-game with spending effort instead of money (motivs, riding, etc). Want a horse? There is one available in-game for 10K gold as well. Want a costume? Some are attainable by playing and reaching certain ranks. Want a pet? Beat Razaks Wheel for a dwemer spider... Want some XP boost? Takes a while to get the recipe together, and a lot of fishing for the ingredients, but that too is doable. Et cetera.
    Want something special? Buy crowns to purchase it.