Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/662078/

Windows 10?

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    But, what you want to avoid is an upgrade to windows 10, you want to do a clean install instead. Not that an upgrade is a guarantee of problems, it's just where a lot of problems can come from if you do have them after getting Windows 10.

Just in case someone is not aware: You have to do an upgrade if you want to take advantage of the "get windows 10 for free" offer from microsoft. Once that is done, you can do a clean install. Otherwise you would have to buy win10 (if you want to skip the upgrade step).
    Options
  • BreacaT
    BreacaT
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    How many of you guys in this thread have done an upgrade vs a clean install? I have the upgrade available (from 8.1) but haven't taken it yet (despite M$'s best efforts to force it through).

Whilst I went clean-install, I've fixed several friends pc's and laptops where they chose the 'upgrade' option instead and suffered all sorts of issues, many not even gaming related.
    Remember red = dead and a dead dd deals no dps.
    Options
  • mattymaats
    mattymaats
    ✭✭✭
    But, what you want to avoid is an upgrade to windows 10, you want to do a clean install instead. Not that an upgrade is a guarantee of problems, it's just where a lot of problems can come from if you do have them after getting Windows 10.

How many of you guys in this thread have done an upgrade vs a clean install? I have the upgrade available (from 8.1) but haven't taken it yet (despite M$'s best efforts to force it through).

If you have the time then I would always recommend a fresh install as your computer will run far better (to start with) and you won't need to run any defrags for awhile. The upgrade functions works correctly though and seems to have gone through fine on my laptop but I don't really play games on it any more as I finally got my PC which has a fresh install. Win10 is totally fine and the issues are from when it was first released really so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Options
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lambtron wrote: »
    I recently got Windows 10, but have yet to boot it to a new hard-drive (am upgrading to a gaming rig). I'm apprehensive about using 10, because of problems I've heard, namely compatibility issues. Has 10 reached a more stable point now? Is the general consensus that it's worthwhile using it?

I been using Windows 10 on 4 different machines since its release 2 of which are old ones. No issues running games at all. One PC running eye-infinity (3 monitor setup) no issues at all but make sure you update the GPU drivers.
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
    Options
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was the first time I used just the option to upgrade my OS (instead of a fresh full installation), because the possibility to get hands on Win 10 for free by upgrading was tempting.

I have to say that this was the most eventless OS change I ever did. Win 10 detected and supported all my older apps and drivers and if not (especially printer drivers) there was one within a few weeks.

From day one Win 10 worked flawlessly, although I had tons of apps installed (among them a lot for Skyrim modding).

I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 though, which might be not such a difference as maybe Win 7 to Win 10. Win 8.1 and Win 10 do not differ that much codewise. If Win 7 was the "refinement" of Win Vista, then Win 10 is the refinement Win8.1.

Edited by Flameheart on April 8, 2016 11:44AM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

Options
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Flameheart I upgraded to 10 from 8.1, before that 8 and the original OS was 7 (win 7 ->10). Only issue was drivers needed updating.
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
    Options
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lambtron

As someone who has thoroughly tested Windows 10, and someone who has done an independent consultation study for some business there is one VERY important factor i want you to consider

Do you Value your privacy?

Your probably thinking why am i asking you this? The answer to that is simple:

A Windows 8.1 machine with a local account(non-microsoft account) and a few changes to windows update is the last Microsoft Operating System that will not spy on every single things you do with your computer. Furthermore, your use of OneDrive and anything you upload to it your are giving Microsoft a worldwide royalty free license to reproduce, use distribute, and sell your content in anyway they see fit...writing a book? better not put it on Onedrive, they can copy and sell your book and give you nothing. this is all in the TOS and the same goes for most other cloud storages.

the Biggest issue for Windows 10 for me is the built-in keylogger...EVERY single thing you type,..is all key logged and data is transmitted back tomicrosoft and some other Microsoft owned online services. Even if you turn off "Getting to know me" even if you turn off Cortana, it still does this.

Microsoft themselves have admitted its not possible to turn this spying off The only way to block the spying is use a enterprise grade type of Firewall thats far more advanced then any router your going to pick up at your local store and far more expensive.

Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users have had this spying functionality backported to these OS via Windows Updates

KB3068708 – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.
    KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) – This update adds the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices.
    KB3075249– This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature in order to collect data on elevations that come from low integrity levels.
    KB3080149 – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.

You can stop the spying on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 by uninstalling these updates and then hiding the updates in Windows Update. You also have to uncheck the recommended updates option and set Windows Update to notify you of Windows updates when they are available and let you choose what to install because Microsoft keeps changes these updates and the annoying GWX update(that puts the annoying Windows 10 update nags in Windows 7, 8, and 8,1 systems)

You can use the scripts here to remove the spying updates and the annoying Windows 10 app nags on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1

https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows

https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows/archive/master.zip

For simple terms,

download the Master.zip file

Extract its content

Copy the extract folder to your "Downloads" folder

Run the Blockwindows.bat as Administrator

when it finishes reboot your computer

Spying gone

You pretty much give up all your privacy when using Windows 10...With Windows 10 it no longer "All your base are belong to us" its "All your data are belong to us"

You weigh these options very carefully before you upgrade to Windows 10, you deserve all the facts before you make an informed decision....the majority of Fortune 500 companies and government organizations have rejected Windows 10 on these premises, and there is nothing gameing wise holding you back....

Ashes of the Singularity is DirectX12 and runs on Windows 8.1 just fine...DX12 has feature levels and for non-Win10 OS it simply sets the feature level to 11, the game runs just fine...much of Windows 10 is marketing snakeoil to a degree...There won't be a video game in the next 5 years that won't support DirectX 11, Direct X 11 hardware has far too large a user base (70% easily) for them to abandon it, and face it...Windows 7 still makes up the vast majority of Windows machines and will for sometime...no way devs will lock out the largest OS on the market....not any time soon anyways.

Remember, nothing in this word is free. There are no free lunches. Windows 10 is marketed as "free" because YOU are the product, your paying with your data instead of money....i'd rather fork over cash for an OS then handed over my data and privacy carte blanche....just my preference though, each to their own.
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on April 8, 2016 1:21PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

Options
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. Had no issues except had to download a couple updates for programs I use. Some new drivers and then the whole optimizing and configuring. Its like i have a whole new computer. Id def recommend upgrading to anyone.
    Edited by jamesharv2005ub17_ESO on April 8, 2016 1:23PM
    Options
  • Gedalya
    Gedalya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive never had a problem with windows 10. It is vastly superior in my opinion to windows 8.

Yeah I am inclined to agree. There have been issues here and there (isolated) with Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10; the result being that when Win 8 came out there were some holding off because of supposed flaws in Win 8. It's the same thing with Win 10. It's a great OS; just be smart like with any upgrade or transition (that means use common sense) and backup your data before a transition.
    Edited by Gedalya on April 8, 2016 1:23PM
    Baskin Robbins always finds out.

Check out my ESO name generator: eso.tamriel.org
    Options
  • mattymaats
    mattymaats
    ✭✭✭

You pretty much give up all your privacy when using Windows 10...With Windows 10 it no longer "All your base are belong to us" its "All your data are belong to us"

You weigh these options very carefully before you upgrade to Windows 10, you deserve all the facts before you make an informed decision....the majority of Fortune 500 companies and government organizations have rejected Windows 10 on these premises, and there is nothing gameing wise holding you back....

Ashes of the Singularity is DirectX12 and runs on Windows 8.1 just fine...DX12 has feature levels and for non-Win10 OS it simply sets the feature level to 11, the game runs just fine...much of Windows 10 is marketing snakeoil to a degree...There won't be a video game in the next 5 years that won't support DirectX 11, Direct X 11 hardware has far too large a user base (70% easily) for them to abandon it, and face it...Windows 7 still makes up the vast majority of Windows machines and will for sometime...no way devs will lock out the largest OS on the market....not any time soon anyways.

Remember, nothing in this word is free. There are no free lunches. Windows 10 is marketed as "free" because YOU are the product, your paying with your data instead of money....i'd rather fork over cash for an OS then handed over my data and privacy carte blanche....just my preference though, each to their own.

Man... Now I really feel like I've sold my soul to the devil.. I has no Windows 8.1 disk damn it....

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg
    Options
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and to add more.

The Windows 10 Eula says the following:

Privacy; Consent to Use of Data. Your privacy is important to us. Some of the software features send or receive information when using those features. Many of these features can be switched off in the user interface, or you can choose not to use them. By accepting this agreement and using the software you agree that Microsoft may collect, use, and disclose the information as described in the Microsoft Privacy Statement (aka.ms/privacy), and as may be described in the user interface associated with the software features.

So what does Microsoft's Own Privacy Policy Say about the data it collects?

No content-based targeting: We will not use your email, chat, files or other personal content to target ads to you.
    Benefits to you: When we do collect data, we will use it to benefit you and to make your experiences better.

Some of Microsoft’s services are supported by advertising. To show ads you’re more likely to be interested in, we use data like your location, Bing web searches, Microsoft or advertiser web pages you view, demographics, and things you’ve favorited. We don’t use what you say in email, chat, video calls or voice mail, or your documents, photos or other personal files to target ads to you.

With Windows 10 as a cloud-powered service, data helps us continually protect and improve your experience. For example, to help keep you safe online, we automatically scan Windows 10 devices for known malware. We also use telemetry, which is ongoing information we receive about how your Windows 10 system is operating, to keep your device running well. So if we know there’s a problem with a particular kind of printer driver, we can send the right drivers only to the people who use that kind of printer.

So they flat out admit they are logging your key strokes, reading your emails, scanning all your documents and pictures and other personal files....they are collecting these things, but they won't use them to tailor ads to you...that's supposed to make you feel better....remember...eveytime you type a password into a password box for a web site, your bank, etc...anything you use...if your on Windows 10....that telemetry....

remember...The Vice President of Microsoft Corporate told everyone in a Forbes interview the automatic spying from Windows 10 can not be turned off.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking/#6d4c082f4a2b

Speaking to PC World, Microsoft Corporate Vice President Joe Belfiore explained that Windows 10 is constantly tracking how it operates and how you are using it and sending that information back to Microsoft by default. More importantly he also confirmed that, despite offering some options to turn elements of tracking off, core data collection simply cannot be stopped:

“In the cases where we’ve not provided options, we feel that those things have to do with the health of the system,”

they try to use some fluff about system crashes...please...he is very vague as to what constitutes "System health"....going by Microsoft's own EULA and Privacy Policy that same EULA says governs....yup....Windows 10 is totally spying on you...it knows, hence Microsoft knows every single password you have ever typed into that system, it also knows the contents of every file on your hard drive as well as on their cloud services.

Does anyone even read anymore? How anyone can think this is "great" probably thinks Negan's "New World Order" in the walking dead is a good thing......
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your input, all. This would be a fresh install, and to clarify, the question was with regard to its compatibility/ stability now.

There was a recent patch that fixed an issue that was causing the game to crash with some Windows 10 machines. So, if the OS is installed and running fine for you, the game should work just fine too.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I recently got Windows 10, but have yet to boot it to a new hard-drive (am upgrading to a gaming rig). I'm apprehensive about using 10, because of problems I've heard, namely compatibility issues. Has 10 reached a more stable point now? Is the general consensus that it's worthwhile using it?

Windows 10 is reallly realllllly good.

It's an improvement over every OS.

It's actually surprisingly awesome. Particularly in that M$ gave it away for free to win7 and 8 users.

It's not perfect, but in perfection is what you strive for... you will be perpetually disappointed.
    Options
  • MarrazzMist
    MarrazzMist
    ✭✭✭✭
    My game started to crash a lot when I updated Win 10 from Win 7. It can be as bad as 5 times in 15 minutes. And then I can play hours with zero crash.

Odly, it mostly crashes with thieves guild content (even in old zones, I mostly write on crash report, that I'm sneaking and stealing for Crime Spree). With Windows 7 I didn't have these issues with Thieves guild patch.
    I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. Had no issues except had to download a couple updates for programs I use. Some new drivers and then the whole optimizing and configuring. Its like i have a whole new computer. Id def recommend upgrading to anyone.

It is possible that I have old drivers. I just updated windows, and did nothing else. I kind of hoped they would update themselves...
    Options
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm playing ESO stably on Windows 10 now, but I built this machine from scratch back in December. Initially it was kind of a nightmare to migrate existing machines on Windows 7 and 8 to Windows 10. I can't say for sure now, but both machines I've migrated are working well enough. Although my older PC with a generation-1 EFI boot strapper still takes about 4 minutes to boot Windows 10 from a cold power down. My newer migrated machine had UEFI and solidly boots in under 30 seconds. My newly-built machine boots to Windows in about 5 seconds when I keep Fast Boot on. I had to turn fast boot off temporarily until Microsoft fixed an issue that was preventing Fast Boot machines from shutting down.
    Edited by lonewolf26 on April 8, 2016 3:24PM
    Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Lambtron

As someone who has thoroughly tested Windows 10, and someone who has done an independent consultation study for some business there is one VERY important factor i want you to consider

Do you Value your privacy?

Your probably thinking why am i asking you this? The answer to that is simple:

A Windows 8.1 machine with a local account(non-microsoft account) and a few changes to windows update is the last Microsoft Operating System that will not spy on every single things you do with your computer. Furthermore, your use of OneDrive and anything you upload to it your are giving Microsoft a worldwide royalty free license to reproduce, use distribute, and sell your content in anyway they see fit...writing a book? better not put it on Onedrive, they can copy and sell your book and give you nothing. this is all in the TOS and the same goes for most other cloud storages.

the Biggest issue for Windows 10 for me is the built-in keylogger...EVERY single thing you type,..is all key logged and data is transmitted back tomicrosoft and some other Microsoft owned online services. Even if you turn off "Getting to know me" even if you turn off Cortana, it still does this.

Microsoft themselves have admitted its not possible to turn this spying off The only way to block the spying is use a enterprise grade type of Firewall thats far more advanced then any router your going to pick up at your local store and far more expensive.

Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 users have had this spying functionality backported to these OS via Windows Updates

KB3068708 – This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.
    KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) – This update adds the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices.
    KB3075249– This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature in order to collect data on elevations that come from low integrity levels.
    KB3080149 – This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices.

You can stop the spying on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 by uninstalling these updates and then hiding the updates in Windows Update. You also have to uncheck the recommended updates option and set Windows Update to notify you of Windows updates when they are available and let you choose what to install because Microsoft keeps changes these updates and the annoying GWX update(that puts the annoying Windows 10 update nags in Windows 7, 8, and 8,1 systems)

You can use the scripts here to remove the spying updates and the annoying Windows 10 app nags on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1

https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows

https://github.com/WindowsLies/BlockWindows/archive/master.zip

For simple terms,

download the Master.zip file

Extract its content

Copy the extract folder to your "Downloads" folder

Run the Blockwindows.bat as Administrator

when it finishes reboot your computer

Spying gone

Heh you know google data mines everything right?

What do you use?

M$ is far less a threat to you than Google, Facebook, Twitter and the rest of them are. Apple is even worse than all of them.

Difference being M$ doesn't hand out free board seats and cushy jobs to a certain political party like the others do.
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am honestly amazed there hasn't been a multi-billion dollar class action lawsuit leveraged against Microsoft for this heavy-handed corruption and privacy grab out of the box.

Sure, you can turn a lot of it off, but the point is, this sort of spyware should never be built into the architecture of an OS in the first place. It is just BEGGING to be abused/exploited.

I guess the lack of action shows just how cowed the population has become?

Even still, there's massive money to be made. Where is the backbone of all the young, enterprising legal grads?
    Options
  • PF1901
    PF1901
    ✭✭✭
    Tried to update from 8.1
    Gave up after the 5th failure. Can't be bothered with sh*t like that.
    Maybe one of these days a clean install...
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I upgraded and all is well.I didnt like a few features it changes,but as to playing games,the only one I had issues with was Morrowind recently.I bought the GOTY and it's fine now.
    Options
  • Minalan
    Minalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Windows 10 PC is just for gaming. They dont steal any personal information that steam doesn't already have.

That said, I've had more sound issues with the 64 bit client on Windows 10. I think everyone does though.
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Minalan wrote: »
    My Windows 10 PC is just for gaming. They dont steal any personal information that steam doesn't already have.

That said, I've had more sound issues with the 64 bit client on Windows 10. I think everyone does though.

I havent actually had sound problems yet.I say "yet" though.XD
    Options
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you people saying windows 10 is vastly superior compared to 8. Lol. Pulled directly from Microsoft store product review.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-10-Home/productID.319937100?ICID=Windows_Win10Home_ModE

The first page alone has nothing but complaints and failures. It has an average rating of 2 and a half stars. Granted, I take reviews with a grain of salt but stop over hyping this. Its a placebo affect if you think Windows 10 provides significantly greater performance than windows 7 or 8.

Here are the issues or annoyance I've had.

1. Upgrading from windows 8 to Windows 10 creates glitches, freezes, and graphic tearing.
    2. Upgrading to windows 10 caused my Symantec Endpoint Protection to no longer be compatible.
    3. Upgrading from windows 8 to Windows 10 doesn't provide a serial number so no way to do a fresh install in case of problems. Reverting back was a nightmare and time consuming.
    4. Windows 10 collects private data.
    5. Windows 10 uses YOUR bandwidth to provide updates to other customers.
    6. Windows 10 did not significantly boost gaming performance
    7. Start bar is overly bloated. Give me classic back. Something simple.
    8. Windows 10 comes with extra bloated features I don't use (i.e., Cortana, built-in apps, windows store, xbox features, a re-branded I.E. explorer)

So, in my experience, this is not vastly superior and provides nothing of value that windows 7 or 8 doesn't already do from an operating system perspective. I'm not interested in the bells, whistles, and add on gaming features that i'll never use. Give me something simple that runs faster without the bugs and all the extra crap. Something I can just use for my own installed applications, and games.

Rant off.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
    Options
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Just in case someone is not aware: You have to do an upgrade if you want to take advantage of the "get windows 10 for free" offer from microsoft. Once that is done, you can do a clean install. Otherwise you would have to buy win10 (if you want to skip the upgrade step).

Cannot do a clean install once you upgrade. Doesn't give you a serial number. You actually have to buy the full home version for 119$.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
    Options
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gotta wear a tinfoil hat while wading through the conspiracy theories in this thread.

To actually answer the OP's question zero compatibility issues here on 2 PCs, one upgraded from windows 8.0 pro and other upgraded from 8.1 pro. My biggest gripe about it at the time was they dropped Windows Media Center and ruined my DVR setup but eh.. Netflix has made me happier anyway. Discovering the built in GameDVR functions and tie in to my XBox live accounts was a pretty damn cool addition though.
    love is love
    Options
  • Kupoking
    Kupoking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried win10. Had some unusual crashes can I cannot explain.

Reverted back to win8, everything came back like before.

Weird...
    Options
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cannot do a clean install once you upgrade. Doesn't give you a serial number. You actually have to buy the full home version for 119$.

Flat out wrong. Me and millions of others have done a clean install after doing the upgrade. Google it if you can't figure it out yourself.
    Options
  • Spearshard
    Spearshard
    ✭✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »
    I've never had a problem at all. What you heard is probably just the regular old Internet churning up the opinions of those who have no idea what they're talking about.

100% agree, I've been on 10 since it went officially live, and eso hasn't been affected at all, or a problem with anything really.
    Options
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive never had a problem with windows 10. It is vastly superior in my opinion to windows 8.

so is windows 7.

Options
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Flat out wrong. Me and millions of others have done a clean install after doing the upgrade. Google it if you can't figure it out yourself.

I concur, there is a really easy way to do a clean install that M$ supports (and makes it pretty easy).
    Options
  • Egonieser
    Egonieser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vox wrote: »
    Changed from 8.1 to 10 and the only thing I noticed with ESO was an improvement in performance (higher and more stable frame rate)

Well, going from 8 to anything else is going to be better.

Windows 10 is probably just fine, although I see no need to install that OS as of yet on my gaming rig, and I don't like the Cloud Integration slant and stealth reporting it does on your activities, although most of that can be turned off.

You have the option to remove all previous windows files from your system after the upgrade to clear out the clutter and space so it's not an issue.
    After I upgraded from Win7 to 10 back when it was still early insider version, I removed any and all traces of my previous windows and freed up like 40GB, never been an issue since.

As to OP, I've used Win10 since it was available for insider preview (beta testing) and even beta was a lot smoother than any other versions of windows AFTER launch.
    It's much more like Windows 7 than 8/8.1 (yay a company that learns from their mistakes) with tablet/touchscreen modes being entirely optional and not enforced. You can make it look and feel just like Windows 7, if that's your cup of tea. Or if you prefer coffee, you can make it look like 8/8.1 - customization is key!!
    It also runs very smooth on SSD, it takes full advantage of the latest hardware whereas Win7 did not.
    Edited by Egonieser on April 10, 2016 3:35PM
    Sometimes, I dream about...cheese...

Dermont - v16 Pompous Altmer Sorcerer (With a very arrogant face!)
    Egonieser - v16 Nord Stamina Dragonborn Wannabe
    Endoly - v16 Tiny Redguard Sharpened MaceBlade
    Egosalina - v16 Breton Cheesus Beam Specialist
    Egowen - v16 Dunmer Whipping Expert (Riding crops eluded her)
    (Yes, I had to grind all these to v16)
    Akamanakh - lvl 22 Khajiit GankBlade (Inspired by Top Cat)
    Targos Icewind - lvl 34 Imperial (Future) Jabplar
    (CP 830+)

PC - EU
    Options