Maintenance for the week of July 8:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance - July 8
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 9, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – July 10, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Windows 10?

Lambtron
Lambtron
✭✭
I recently got Windows 10, but have yet to boot it to a new hard-drive (am upgrading to a gaming rig). I'm apprehensive about using 10, because of problems I've heard, namely compatibility issues. Has 10 reached a more stable point now? Is the general consensus that it's worthwhile using it?
  • jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never had a problem with windows 10. It is vastly superior in my opinion to windows 8.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as above...win10 is a heck of a lot better for gaming IMO compared to any previous win OS over the last 5 years

just chalk a lot of it up to operator errors.
    Just read the installation and any requirements, also, do all the updates to the OS before installing anything and you should be fine. My current CPU is over 5 years old...gaming laptop that just fell out of min requirements due to Direct X only but otherwise I ran the game at 20-30FPS on high settings when I played on PC an dpTS up until last month since closed BETA
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on April 7, 2016 3:49PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I've never had a problem at all. What you heard is probably just the regular old Internet churning up the opinions of those who have no idea what they're talking about.
    Options
  • Marcosyn11
    Marcosyn11
    ✭✭✭
    Ive never had a problem with windows 10. It is vastly superior in my opinion to windows 8.

Totally agree with @jamesharv2005ub17_ESO. I have Windows 10 and it runs fine, I don't have problems with it. And overall it is much better than Windows 8.
    EU Megaserver - Lusitano
    Options
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To make an even stronger case for Windows 10 here, I also have to say it's better than 8 and I haven't had any problems yet.
    Options
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Changed from 8.1 to 10 and the only thing I noticed with ESO was an improvement in performance (higher and more stable frame rate)
    Options
  • Arkvoril
    Arkvoril
    ✭✭✭
    runagate wrote: »
    I've never had a problem at all. What you heard is probably just the regular old Internet churning up the opinions of those who have no idea what they're talking about.

This^^^! I have not had one issue with 10 at all.
    NA/PC

Arkvoril
    Level 50 Altmer Sorcerer
    A Vampire with a Werewolf Companion.
    Master Alchemist and Enchanter;
    Options
  • Slammer99uk
    Slammer99uk
    ✭✭✭
    Went from Windows Vista to a MAC, not looked back since :)

Bring on the fan bois
    Options
  • Sindala
    Sindala
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not had one problem with Windows 10, was just a lot of scare mongering from the IBM crew...
    If your running a gaming rig then your gonna love Win 10.
    So much faster if you have the power under the hood :D
    Being First is not the prize, it just mean's everyone can stab you in the back.
    Options
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went from Windows Vista to a MAC, not looked back since :)

Bring on the fan bois

*Gets her standard-issue-pitchfork* :-p

I also haven't had any problems with Windows 10 - use it on both my home and work computer. I vastly prefer it over Windows 8.1.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
    Options
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many of you lot have looked through your event logs ?
    /giggles.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vox wrote: »
    Changed from 8.1 to 10 and the only thing I noticed with ESO was an improvement in performance (higher and more stable frame rate)

Well, going from 8 to anything else is going to be better.

Windows 10 is probably just fine, although I see no need to install that OS as of yet on my gaming rig, and I don't like the Cloud Integration slant and stealth reporting it does on your activities, although most of that can be turned off.

But, what you want to avoid is an upgrade to windows 10, you want to do a clean install instead. Not that an upgrade is a guarantee of problems, it's just where a lot of problems can come from if you do have them after getting Windows 10.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Skayaq
    Skayaq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others, I have been using Win10 since September - 0 issues had.
    Kazari-Dar, Khajiit Nightblade..........Jarkyr Storm-Blade, Nord Sorcerer .......... Dunric Amedain, Breton Templar

Araniwen, Altmer Sorcerer..................Llirasa Andralu, Dunmer Templar...................Marzug gro-Borgaz, Orc Warden

Calinchel, Bosmer Warden...................Jahrel-Xei, Argonian Nightblade....................Cienri Maraeud, Breton Sorcerer

Inara Savicci, Imperial Templar...................Garoric Attilus, Imperial Dragonknight............ Maevina Tallian, Imperial Nightblade

Ravanni-Ko, Khajiit Dragonknight..........Faevyn Ice-Heart, Nord Warden..........Nazran al-Taneth, Redguard Dragonknight
    Options
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    W10 is not perfect (yet) but it is better than W8.1

W7 is still champ in my book though.
    Options
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Windows 10 is great! Only issue I have is with the Bluetooth. Every few months I have to revert to a restore point to get my Bluetooth to work again. Which is extremely odd. Windows was absolutely no help with this situation. They told me it was my motherboard, twice. After changing it out the first time I thought perhaps they were right. The second motherboard has the same issue. Said motherboard works fine when booted into Windows 7, even when the Windows 10 boot won't pick it up.
    Options
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any issues, but I've done most of the privacy/bandwidth/latency fixes already out there.
    signing off
    Options
  • Mondrely
    Mondrely
    ✭✭✭
    The only issue I had with Windows 10 came with the first time I tried to run ESO after upgrading. ESO would crash upon startup, but after I ran a repair everything was fine.
    Options
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Vastly superior? I think not. Installed windows 10 when It came out. While trying to run notepad at same time as eso, my desktop environment would freeze for 20 seconds at 1-2 minute intervals. Tried running eso at max graphic settings and major tearing occurred. Reverted back to windows 8.1, had no issues.

In addition, in case you didn't know, windows 10 turns your OS into a peer to peer file share to get updates. Microsoft sneakly built in this feature by default to save costs using customer bandwidth instead of backend server.

Windows 10 provides little value over what I can already get in win 8. Not like your gonna get s dramatic fps increase.

Vastly superior my arse.
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been using Win10 since the free update, 0 problems on this and old PC
    Options
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Vastly superior? I think not. Installed windows 10 when It came out. While trying to run notepad at same time as eso, my desktop environment would freeze for 20 seconds at 1-2 minute intervals. Tried running eso at max graphic settings and major tearing occurred. Reverted back to windows 8.1, had no issues.

In addition, in case you didn't know, windows 10 turns your OS into a peer to peer file share to get updates. Microsoft sneakly built in this feature by default to save costs using customer bandwidth instead of backend server.

Windows 10 provides little value over what I can already get in win 8. Not like your gonna get s dramatic fps increase.

Vastly superior my arse.

If you don't do a fresh install, you'll have these problems. I have same issue. One day I'll go somewhere to download the ISO for a bootable disk.
    Options
  • Lambtron
    Lambtron
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your input, all. This would be a fresh install, and to clarify, the question was with regard to its compatibility/ stability now.
    Options
  • Cernow
    Cernow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lambtron wrote: »
    Thanks for your input, all. This would be a fresh install, and to clarify, the question was with regard to its compatibility/ stability now.

I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 pro a month or so ago and it has been very stable so far, despite it being an upgrade and not a clean install and making some major hardware changes at the same time. I have had no major compatibility issues with installed apps and games are all running smoothly.

There ARE some privacy issues with Win 10 that you need to nail down. But on the plus side, Win 10 is quite transparent about most of them, so if you go into Settings : Privacy you can toggle everything off (and you really should do this as priority).

Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am running Windows 10 on my main gaming system as it was built for Windows 10. There are no compatibility issues with any of the games I have run, including ESO.

As far as upgrades go, I would probably upgrade any system built for Windows 8 or 8.1, but I would not upgrade any system that has been running Windows 7, and I would simply scrap any system running anything older than Windows 7. Windows 10 feels like it is stuck in quicksand compared to Windows 7. If the Windows 7 system is working, leave it alone.

EDIT:
    There ARE some privacy issues with Win 10 that you need to nail down. But on the plus side, Win 10 is quite transparent about most of them, so if you go into Settings : Privacy you can toggle everything off (and you really should do this as priority).

... and check them from time to time.
    Edited by Elsonso on April 8, 2016 12:10AM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Grind Road

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    W10 is not perfect (yet) but it is better than W8.1

W7 is still champ in my book though.

This.

Plus I'm personally not in the "I have nothing to hide so I have nothing to fear with you stealing everything that's mine" camp of defeatist denial.

"Out of the box" Windows 10 not only tracks every program and file you ever open and every website you visit and everything you type and say but actually parses FILES and the CONTENTS of your private email and sents it all to M$ and their "affiliates."

That's just a little more Big Brother than I am prepared to accept is Constitutional.

But we all know that if you have enough money you can get away with cold blooded murder.
    Options
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently went over to w10. Its amazing so far and much better than Windows 8. Just make sure you read all the agreements very VERY carefully. There are things like giving microsoft access to your contacts, surfing data etc etc. Uncheck all that *** when u install.
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
    Options
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lambtron wrote: »
    I recently got Windows 10, but have yet to boot it to a new hard-drive (am upgrading to a gaming rig). I'm apprehensive about using 10, because of problems I've heard, namely compatibility issues. Has 10 reached a more stable point now? Is the general consensus that it's worthwhile using it?

Win10 works fine with ESO.At least it does for me.
    Options
  • Marktoneth3
    Marktoneth3
    ✭✭✭
    Right now I'm still testing Win 10 (not activate yet).

I will activate after AMD launch Polaris.

Because I want to see if there has any compatibility issues or not.
    Options
  • LoadingBar5
    LoadingBar5
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with W10. Works fine with every game I own, including ESO.
    "Don't crack my manservant!" - Lady Clarisse Laurent on Stibbons

PC | EU
    EP - Sneaks-in-Light, Argonian NB

Add me on Steam: LoadingBar5
    Options
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    But, what you want to avoid is an upgrade to windows 10, you want to do a clean install instead. Not that an upgrade is a guarantee of problems, it's just where a lot of problems can come from if you do have them after getting Windows 10.

How many of you guys in this thread have done an upgrade vs a clean install? I have the upgrade available (from 8.1) but haven't taken it yet (despite M$'s best efforts to force it through).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
    Options
  • mariskaas
    mariskaas
    ✭✭✭
    Had a few problems just after release but updates fixed this so you should be fine. I also read some article a while ago that win10 performs better in games than steamOS does (have no link to it right now).
    Options