The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

elderscrollsonline.com does not render without typekit

sirinsidiator
sirinsidiator
✭✭✭✭
Hello,
I am not sure where this belongs, so feel free to move it somewhere else.

I use a Firefox addon called Ghostery, which automatically blocks external 3rd party trackers.
The new design on elderscrollsonline.com unfortunately relies on TypeKit - which is also classified as a 3rd party tracker by Ghostery - to be loaded, otherwise the page will just stay black. Just wanted to let you know in case anyone wants to do fix this so it does not depend on it, or other users happen upon the same problem.
https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a Ghostery or tracker problem, it's because Mozilla hasn't integrated HTML5 in Firefox.

I'm using both Chrome and Firefox, both with Ghostery and various other add-ons, Chrome has no trouble loading the page with or without all add-ons enabled; Firefox on the other hand won't load the page properly no matter what add-on you're using.

HTML5 is still relatively new so not all browsers have fully integrated it in yet. Google Chrome is leading the charge with compatibility, try using that instead as HTML5 will get more and more common as time goes by and Mozillas Firefox (unfortunately) hasn't been doing so well lately when it comes to support.

Chrome can be downloaded from HERE. I think MS's Edge browser (their Internet Explorer replacement) has decent support too but I cannot test as I got rid of it as soon as I could.
    Edited by Madness1 on April 4, 2016 2:52PM
    What is the color of night?
    What is the color of the fox?
    Hail Sithis.
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong. It works without a problem as soon as I allow TypeKit in Ghostery.
    Btw. I wouldn't call HTML5 "relatively new", as it has been in the works since 2004 and all major browsers (including Firefox which is an early adopter) support the majority of features since at least 2 years.
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Ayantir
    Ayantir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stop saying *** please.

A WebDev.

For Ghostery, isn't there a white list ? I personnaly use Adblock & Self-Destructing Cookies, they both got Whitelist functions.
    Obsessive Compulsive Elder Scrolls addons Coder
    A Few millions downloads of ESO addons now.
    Master crafter on my main char since release. All tradeskills, recipes \o/, researchs (since long), 35 styles known
    My little french Guild: Cercle de l'Eveil
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the new version of Ghostery is pretty straight forward and allows you to whitelist a tracker on specific sites with one click.
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to disappoint you, but you are wrong. It works without a problem as soon as I allow TypeKit in Ghostery.
    Btw. I wouldn't call HTML5 "relatively new", as it has been in the works since 2004 and all major browsers (including Firefox which is an early adopter) support the majority of features since at least 2 years.

It's not a Ghostery issue, I'm blocking ALL TRACKERS (and set to block automatically every database update) with it and are getting no issues on Chrome, with Firefox all I see is a background image.

Also HTML5 is still fairly new, yes it has been worked on for years now but is still not supported fully by many browsers. Chrome scores 521 while Firefox scores 478 on THIS TEST. Hell when learning to code and study it they even advise (granted it was over a year ago since I learnt HTML5) that you use Safari on Mac or Chrome for Windows as Firefox (my default browser at the time) was lacking some important features.
    Edited by Madness1 on April 4, 2016 6:07PM
    Hail Sithis.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Madness1 wrote: »
    Firefox on the other hand won't load the page properly no matter what add-on you're using.
    Wut? confused24.gif

I think you're a bit confused here, both with the statement above and the whole HTML5 thing.

This forum renders just fine in my Firefox on Windows, Linux and MAC.
    shades.gif
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Wut? confused24.gif

I think you're a bit confused here, both with the statement above and the whole HTML5 thing.

This forum renders just fine in my Firefox on Windows, Linux and MAC.
    shades.gif

I'm not sure what version of HTML this forum is using, it's likely 4. Even if it is 5 it could use elements that's widely supported to make sure most people have access to it.

I've ran this forum and the main site with Chrome/Chromium and Firefox using Windows 7, 10, Ubuntu 14.4, and 15.10. I've mentioned the OS as you also did, but it's worth noting that OS has nothing to do with web scripting, that's all done with the browser.
    Edited by Madness1 on April 4, 2016 6:33PM
    Hail Sithis.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've mentioned the OS as you also did, but it's worth noting that OS has nothing to do with web scripting, that's all done with the browser.
    Cute, but not entirely true.
    There can, are and always will be differences in cross platform implementations.

Just FYI, I've been in this business since before you were born.
    Everything we do is done cross-platform.

- For programs and libraries, we compile them to run on Windows, Linux, Mac and ARM (Several versions of each usually).
    - For web stuff, we test on Windows, Linux and Mac using Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari and Opera.

There are *always* issues with cross-platform.
    There is no such things as OS agnostic, you have to work to actually make that happen.
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on April 4, 2016 6:47PM
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Cute, but not entirely true.
    There can, are and always will be differences in cross platform implementations.

Just FYI, I've been in this business since before you were born.
    Everything we do is done cross-platform.

- For programs and libraries, we compile them to run on Windows, Linux, Mac and ARM (Several versions of each usually).
    - For web stuff, we test on Windows, Linux and Mac using Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari and Opera.

There are *always* issues with cross-platform.
    There is no such things as OS agnostic, you have to work to actually make that happen.
    shades.gif

Yes you're right, their is no such thing as a OS agnostic piece of software. Even if you think you've done the best you can do their is always going to be errors at first which vary on every platform. I never denied that. Also I'm not going on about age here, I and hopefully you are not a child and trying to act like 40 is better than 30 is just plain childish and frankly pathetic.

Now let's break you points down shall we:

"For programs and libraries, we compile them to run on Windows, Linux, Mac and ARM"
    For programs (for which my experience professionally working on isn't much) you do need to compile libraries to run on certain OSs. Now ARM isn't an OS, it's a company who develops processors similar to what Intel and AMD produce. Now you can optimise your program to run on certain processors better but as far as I'm aware you don't need to specifically target ARM as long as it's compiled to run properly on an OS.

"For web stuff, we test on Windows, Linux and Mac using Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari and Opera."
    Well yes of course you'd test "web stuff" on a browser, I don't personally use (never have) Opera but each to their own. I never claimed you don't.

Now I don't know why you'd make a honestly moot comment like that unless you're trying to sound smart. All you did is mention two different kinds of platforms to develop for and tried to belittle me. Now as we've been diverted (thanks for that), what does HTML5 have to do then with the OS? After all it is that "web stuff" you mentioned. Oh and before you say it, yes I know about how you need to compile the browser differently to work on each platform but that has nothing to do with what it can and cannot support when it comes to the browsers we're discussing.
    Edited by Madness1 on April 4, 2016 7:19PM
    Hail Sithis.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Now you can optimise your program to run on certain processors better but as far as I'm aware you don't need to specifically target ARM as long as it's compiled to run properly on an OS.

Just to be clear, ARM uses an entirely distinct instruction set from that used by x86ish chips from AMD and Intel, you absolutely must specify that you are targeting that architecture when compiling native code.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Madness1
    Madness1
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Now you can optimise your program to run on certain processors better but as far as I'm aware you don't need to specifically target ARM as long as it's compiled to run properly on an OS.

Just to be clear, ARM uses an entirely distinct instruction set from that used by x86ish chips from AMD and Intel, you absolutely must specify that you are targeting that architecture when compiling native code.

On that point fair enough then, I wasn't aware of that. I don't have experience with ARM processors.
    Edited by Madness1 on April 4, 2016 7:40PM
    Hail Sithis.