The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Ultimate tank build.(Updated for DB)

Zeg0ta
Zeg0ta
✭✭✭
This is the updated build from the ult build I ran in TG dlc i am currently using for the DB dlc. This build is geared towards endgame pve it brings alot of group utility and fast ultimate regen with this build my mitigation ranges from 85% from melee up to 90% from magical range adds.. So here it goes. Please feel free to add any of your tips or tricks.

Race: Orc
Class: DK
Health:27568
Magicka: 20277
Stamina: 22532
Magicka regen: 1363
Stam regen: 762
Health recovery: 488
Spell resist buffed with hardened armor: 28498 add 6300 when blood spawn procs
Physical resist buffed with hardened armor: 27066 add 6300 when blood spawn procs
Atronach mundus

Gear: 5 piece Tava's, 5 piece Ebon, 2 piece Bloodspawn all heavy i run all heavy because the resources regen i have found is better than running 5H 1L 1M.
I also keep a set of Baharas curse on hand for different fights.

Helm: Bloodspawn with divines stam enchant
Shoulder: Bloodspawn with divines stam enchant
Hand: Tava's with sturdy stam enchant
Legs: Tava's with sturdy mag enchant
Chest: Tava's with sturdy mag enchant(ideally infused would go here)
Belt: Ebon with infused mag enchant (ideally sturdy trait would go here)
Boots: Ebon with divines mag enchant ( ideally sturdy would go here)
Rings & Neck: Ebon with2 magicka regen enchants and 1 reduce block cost
Weapons bar 1 and 2: Tava's sword with decisive trait and crushing enchant (having decisive is important here helps us regen our ultimate)
Shield bar 1 and 2: Tava's shield with sturdy trait stam enchant

Skills:

Bar 1: hardened armor; pierce armor; heroic slash, defensive stance, choking talons( this is a flex spot sometimes guard will go here depends on the fight) Ultimate Aggresive warhorn
Bar 2: igneous weapons or igneous shield (also a flex spot swap for guard ), inner rage, unrelenting grip, shuffle (this is key to have up at all times to proc tava's gear), vigor, Ultimate magma shell

CP points:

The steed: 0 points
The lady: 50 into hardy, 50 into ele defender; 37 into thick skinned
The lord-: 30 into quick recovery

The tower: 60 into warlord, 60 into magician
The lover: 47 into arcanist
The shadow: 0 points

The apprentice: 0 points
The atronach: 0 points
The ritual: 66 precise strikes, 1 piercing; 100 mighty (its important that we have at least 120 points here to get the last stand passive)

Screenshot_20160616_125300_zpsqsp0fr7i.png

Edited by Zeg0ta on June 18, 2016 11:49PM
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to be a part of a couple runs last night with this guy and we had Agg. War Horn active on most fights before the last one wore off. Gotta love that crit damage and max stats. It was working very well in vWGT.

@Zeg0ta we need to take this build into our vMoL run and see how it fares against bosses. As long as too much mitigation isn't forgone for the ult regen it should help substantially with beating enrage mechanics.
  • Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot the armor stats spell resist is 29k armor resist is 25k without bloodspawn proc.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeg0ta wrote: »
    Forgot the armor stats spell resist is 29k armor resist is 25k without bloodspawn proc.

With or without ward/resolve active?
  • Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    @Autolycus
    With major ward/resolve active
    Edited by Zeg0ta on March 22, 2016 3:26PM
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a really interesting setup. My biggest concern was losing mitigation, but between major ward/resolve and blood spawn, that seems to be just fine.

In theory, this allows for 100% up-time on war horns, which means extra mag, stam and health for 100% of fights, and the additional crit damage for something like 30% of the fight for everyone within range.

In practice, with all the extra damage we're doing, we've been able to speed up fights like the Planar Inhibitor in WGT a substantial amount. We typically refer to the phase in which she engulfs herself in blue fire and pursues one person the "lawnmower" phase. We were able to get her into execute threshold (<25%) before she even began this phase, and the "moth vision" occurred only twice throughout the entire fight.
    Edited by Autolycus on March 22, 2016 6:29PM
  • Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    Yea losing the mitigation from dropping footmans was one of my concerns but it seems to be just fine. Like you said earlier we'll have to test this out in vet Mol.
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    Geert (Hodor Tank) has been using these sets in vMoL since pts, certainly a fantastic combination.

Not bad for an initial attempt, but your Stat/CP distribution and skill theory needs some work.

If I may....
    Stats: I split them between Stam and health evenly
    30k health 24k Stam 14.4k magicka

Many skills you listed below are magicka based. At an average cost of 3.5k, your Magicka pool will be depleted before you can access your full functionality.
    The mage tree: 120 points into the ritual gotta get that 120 point passive for that ultimate XD. 75 into mighty 22 in piercing 25 precise strikes. and 43 into Blessed

22 piercing is overkill and full of dead points. Put 100 into mighty, 3 into piercing, and split the rest between precise and thaumaturge (give your cinder storm a boost!)

Our tank heals are trash and 10% more trash is just that...
    The warrior: 120 cp into the steed 100 in block expert and 20into spell shield. This will allow us to keep our block and maintain stamina. Then I put 10 into hardy 10 into ele defender so we get the passive to help maintain magicka. Rest I put into healing received in the Lord tree.

100 in blocking is useless (the reduction caps at 25% with 98 points) as is spell shield (take a look at your character sheet and note the difference). Benefit is maximized by putting 74 in block and 1 in spell shield. No more than 10 in healing received. Split the rest between ele def/hardy/thick skinned in a 2:1:1 ratio.
    Thief: In the tower 27 magician 31 warlord, in the lover 36 mooncalf 51 arcanist 20 tenacity 0 in the shadow

Tenacity isn't worth it, put those points into cost reduction.
    Bar1 main tanking bar: hardened armor, Pierce armor, heroic slash (for the ultimate gen. I switch this for talons on trash) defensive stance (can either run absorb here doesn't matter really using it for the block mitigation) and the structured entropy(for more health)and ultimate I use warhorns.

Be careful with damage shields (hardened armor) damage overflow may kill you. I don't bother running major resolve/ward with Tava's and haven't had an issue.

Structured Entropy is a double edged sword... unless you dual slot it, you lose that health every time you bar swap, and have to regen it when you swap back. 28k HP is more than enough in vMoL.

If you are the solo tank for the first boss in vMoL, you should be running talons...meaning you will be running Talons from start to finish. Keep in mind, Choking Talons will apply minor maim on everything.
    Bar2 off bar aka buff bar: igneous shield (1.helps restore Stam 2. Generates ultimate 3.gives minor brutality to the group. I'll switch this for cinder storm on trash) inner fire, vigor (helps generate ultimate when you can't light attack I'll switch this to chains on trash pulls) shuffle (gives dodge chance and procs the Tava's set keep this up at all times) then coagilating blood. Ultimate I use Magma shell.

Get rid of Igneous Shield for the same reasons stated above regarding damage shields. Run Igneous Weapons instead, all the pros without the cons, plus additional group buffs.

Cinder Storm is kind of silly to me, but if you like it, run it! I prefer to run chains (yes, even on bosses without adds) as it's completely free and gives you a speed boost.

Vigor is a nice option to run during trash, switch this out for whatever flavor of dragons blood you wish during vMoL boss fights, you have plenty of time to light attack.

In place of a dedicated dragon's blood slot, try running propelling shield... you'll thank me later.

Good luck in there!
    Edited by TotterTates on March 23, 2016 3:42PM
    Cuppincakes
    • Imperial Dragonknight (Tank)
    • Pre-TG vMA Score: 459,636 [55:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    • Post-TG vMA Score: 537,328 [53:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    • Dunmer Dragonknight (Healer/DPS)
    Church
    • Argonian Templar (Healer)
    Moon Moon
    • Khajiit Nightblade (DPS)

My Twitch Channel: TotterTanks
  • Steel_Brightblade
    Steel_Brightblade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very nicely written advice there, I'm looking to do a few things on my tank a little differently but still some sound info here that I either didn't think of or can implement
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cool build.

For even more ultimate generation you could consider getting vampirism and using Invigorating Drain (15 ultimate gained per cast once its at rank 4). It's a nice ultimate generation buff when you're not having to block.

The big drawback, of course, is that you'd have to deal with vampirism vulnerabilities of more fire damage and reduced health regeneration on a tank, though. Might not be entirely worth it but you'd also gain access to Mist Form when you're in a crunch. Just spitting out options.
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just read my reply, I apologize if it comes across as undue criticism... I wrote it while I was half asleep, but with the best of intentions.
    Cuppincakes
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    Church
    Moon Moon

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read my reply, I apologize if it comes across as undue criticism... I wrote it while I was half asleep, but with the best of intentions.

I think what you had to say was very helpful. Zeg0ta and I are in the same guild and we both discussed a great deal of what you said, and I think we're both in agreement that there's a lot of value here. Your name isn't foreign to those of us who have been around for long enough. We both know that you know what you're talking about here.

Of course a bit of humility does go a long way. Thanks for being supportive!
  • Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    @TotterTates I totally agree with your suggestions. Always looking for ways to improve. Thanks for the tips.
  • shugg
    shugg
    ✭✭✭
    If its not been said , your mitigatation is way to low. Aim for 27k unbuffed then work on other stats
  • Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    @shugg
    If I remember correctly max mitigation is 50%? Someone correct me if I'm wrong. with the passives alone I'm at 38% mitigation combine that with armor and cp I should be very close to to max mitigation.
    Edited by Zeg0ta on March 23, 2016 7:55PM
  • shugg
    shugg
    ✭✭✭
    Cap is 33k spell and phisical damage, the foot mans loses the impact of the 12% mitigation when u are v16 i think it goes down to about 3% . Personally i use leaching or imperial set for raids failing that hist.
  • Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    @shugg
    Does max damage mitigation not include passive? Like from sword and shield Ardent flame passive iron skin and passive from d stance. If it does then wouldnt it be overkill on armor at 27k?

From what I found 1000armor=1%mitigation
    So with 24k armor that's 24%mitigation plus passives 8% from d stance 20%from sword and board passive and 10% from iron skin this puts me at 62%damage mitigation while blocking? which while tanking I try not to drop block to much only to throw in light or heavy attacks to Regen ultimate and stamina. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Edited by Zeg0ta on March 23, 2016 8:11PM
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to this chart:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1obfRMkr4Sb_72xU9Fkh_AFp8ETT7SvBgxgagRQk-qGU/edit#gid=1197127613

If you get 8% mitigation from D Stance and 12% from Footman, you only need to make up a 30% more mitigation to hit the cap. That 30% mark is at 20k Armor., so 27k would be too much. At that point, you'd be better off sinking into sustain or supplementary damage or heals.

It also states on that chart that 1000 armor amounts to approximately 1.51% of mitigation. I'm not entirely certain this is accurate, as they stated difficulties in controlling for everything, and for hitting exact armor values that would provide the best results. In practice I think it's bit lower than 1.51% per 1000. The purpose of this analysis was to determine if the armor/spell cap remained at 32,500 after update 7 released. We all know the answer to this by now, but it's the most recent analysis I could find with actual values. I simply don't have the time to go and run the tests myself, or I would conduct my own.
    Edited by Autolycus on March 23, 2016 8:55PM
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's not exactly how mitigation works, I'll clean up my spreadsheet when I get home and post it here. You can adjust values and skills to calculate your active/passive mitigation.
    Cuppincakes
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    Church
    Moon Moon

• TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mitigation Calculator

Just download a copy and play around with the values highlighted in blue.
    Cuppincakes
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    Church
    Moon Moon

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitigation Calculator

Thanks @TotterTates ! This was very insightful. I'm impressed with how functional it is, and found it very useful in my calculations.
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    Autolycus wrote: »
    Mitigation Calculator

Thanks @TotterTates ! This was very insightful. I'm impressed with how functional it is, and found it very useful in my calculations.

Happy you liked it... the math is correct, but the shown values are rounded... it's close enough though (within .05% of observed mitigation)
    Cuppincakes
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    Church
    Moon Moon

• Zeg0ta
    Zeg0ta
    ✭✭✭
    @TotterTates
    Thanks for linking that. Was very helpful.
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Zeg0ta you're very welcome, good luck with everything! Let me know if you ever have any questions (I'm a bit of a nutter with my spreadsheets and such).
    Cuppincakes
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    Church
    Moon Moon

• SmalltalkJava
    SmalltalkJava
    ✭✭✭
    Mitigation Calculator

OMG Tottertates has the knowledge. Utterly amazing
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitigation Calculator

Happy you liked it... the math is correct, but the shown values are rounded... it's close enough though (within .05% of observed mitigation)

Yuppers! I found it very useful. I actually did not end up changing anything relative to what I was doing before. I ran my numbers through your calculator and I'm content with my mitigation values.

I also compared my CP to your recommended allocation, and ended up leaving that as well. I had almost identical allocations for CP, with the key differences being that I underweighted my spell resist and overweighted my healing received, relative to your recommendation. The reason for this is that I tank as a Breton NB; spell resist comes more naturally and magicka NBs have substantial class healing capabilities. The difference in my allocation and yours, in terms of CP alone, amounts to about 8% spell resist in exchange for 4% healing received and 3% physical resist. Everything else was identical, as I recall.
    Edited by Autolycus on March 24, 2016 2:22PM
  • SmalltalkJava
    SmalltalkJava
    ✭✭✭
    @TotterTates I have a question on Reactive armor set. I really like the concept of this armor set as it gives damage redux while stunned. Would it be possible to take this into calculations in your spreadsheet? Where your block would be down, while stunned/disoriented.

Also it would kick in while immobilized, which I think would include being rooted(maybe even snared, but not sure). If just rooted then your block would still be up.

On a side note I had a lot of hope for Pariah set but it seemed lackluster as its resist 5piece still falls under the 50% resist cap limit. I wish they would change it to allow Pariah bonus to exceed the cap. Since its a 5 piece low health benefit.
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    @TotterTates I have a question on Reactive armor set. I really like the concept of this armor set as it gives damage redux while stunned. Would it be possible to take this into calculations in your spreadsheet? Where your block would be down, while stunned/disoriented.

HI @SmalltalkJava, I've actually been playing around with this set during my recent fits of theorycrafting. It's certainly an interesting set. I could include this on my spreadsheet, but it would only be my theory of how it works.

I'll grab this set tonight when I get home and properly test it to see where it fits in my equations. As soon as I get have valid results, I'll update the sheet :)
    Also it would kick in while immobilized, which I think would include being rooted(maybe even snared, but not sure). If just rooted then your block would still be up.

"While affected by Stun, Immobilize, Fear, Knockdown or Disorient effects, damage you take is reduced by 35%."

Roots = immobilization, so you are right to think that roots will proc the set. According to the tooltip (above), snares on their own, should not proc the mitigation; however, this game is full of...um... surprises ;)
    On a side note I had a lot of hope for Pariah set but it seemed lackluster as its resist 5piece still falls under the 50% resist cap limit. I wish they would change it to allow Pariah bonus to exceed the cap. Since its a 5 piece low health benefit.

About little bit of every tank died when Pariah turned out to be trash :'(
    Cuppincakes
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    Church
    Moon Moon

• Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TotterTates @SmalltalkJava Regarding the Reactive Armor set, am I right in my following assumption?

For scenarios where you are stunned (unable to block), you can set your block mitigation to 0 for all damage types, and then add 35% to overall mitigation to compensate for the 5set bonus.

For scenarios where it procs but you can still block (like an immobilize or disorient), simply add 35% to the overall mit.
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    @TotterTates @SmalltalkJava Regarding the Reactive Armor set, am I right in my following assumption?

For scenarios where you are stunned (unable to block), you can set your block mitigation to 0 for all damage types, and then add 35% to overall mitigation to compensate for the 5set bonus.

For scenarios where it procs but you can still block (like an immobilize or disorient), simply add 35% to the overall mit.

@Autolycus Nope, that would be an example of additive values. The way mitigation works in ESO is multiplicative. My best guess (without testing) is that this set's effects would occur post resist mitigation and alongside Maim/CP/Protection mitigation. This would reduce that 35% to less than 4% of your total non-blocking mitigation.

Edited by TotterTates on March 24, 2016 4:38PM
    Cuppincakes
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    Church
    Moon Moon

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dont share any tank builds. ZoS will nerf them. They hate tanks and they will not stop while there are any survivors.
    Because I can!