Maintenance for the week of August 19:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: EU megaserver for patch maintenance – August 19, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for patch maintenance – August 19, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 14:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – August 21, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – August 21, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Zenimax's interpretation of Oblivion Gates is an insult to TES IV

• WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We also may or may not be looking at an effect of the Coldharbour Compact. It's been hinted before that that may be impacting the amount the Daedric Princes are allowed to influence Nirn.
    UrQuan wrote: »
    They were. Estre worshiped Mehrunes Dagon, and believed that she was doing his bidding, but as you find out in the quests at the Cliffs of Failure she was actually a pawn of Molag Bal.

Whether that means that she was actually dealing with Molag Bal when she thought she was dealing with Mehrunes Dagon and the Oblivion Gates were entirely his doing, or whether it means that Molag Bal had been dealing with Mehrunes Dagon to assist in manipulating the Veiled Heritance, the result is the same. Ultimately the scope of those Oblivion Gates should be much smaller, as Molag Bal wouldn't waste much of his own resources on them, and if Mehrunes Dagon was involved he wouldn't care to waste much resources on them either as it wasn't really for the benefit of his own plans.

@UrQuan: This is what you're looking for. :)
    Your Veiled Majesty,
    Civility at last. I am pleased with our new agreement. Your service to Molag Bal, despite your tawdry oath to Lord Dagon, will ensure you victory in your conflict. Across the face of Tamriel, there can be only one victor in this war.
    My minions will carry orders to you when the time is right. Do not fail me. Loyal service is rewarded, but betrayal—well. The punishment would be unimaginable.
    Do as I command, in the name of Molag Bal.
    (And under your breath you can quietly pray to any Prince you choose.)
    The King of Worms,
    Mannimarco

There are a series of notes leading up to it, IIRC they're in a side dungeon in Auridon.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »
    laced wrote: »
    Volkodav wrote: »
    have any of you ESO players played oblivion? in TES IV, every oblivion plane was a large, beautiful, in depth landscape with large pits of lava and enormous towers to explore. it had gruesome depictions of people's tortured existences there, with burnt corpses, heads on pikes, etc etc. it had poisonous plants, plants that would attack you, and it had numerous types of traps such as the thing that shoots fire at you, or the slicer thingy.

and then there's zenimax's oblivion gate quests in the aldmeri dominion quest play through. there you had to shut 3 gates. each gate there were what, 20 monsters, and the sigil stone was 20 feet away from where you entered? you could shut an oblivion gate in 2 minutes. that's pathetic. zenimax needs to rethink, put more creativity, and more substance into their oblivion gates, because this is an insult to the elder scrolls series. oblivion was made in 2006, and it's play through of shutting gates is still better than ESO's. what's your guy's opinions on this?

just a reminder for those a little rusty on what TES IV's oblivion gates were like, here's a reminder; latest?cb=20110621230345

Meh,I wasnt impressed with OB.I preferred Morrowind,and still do. I finished OB in just a few hours.Not much there for me.I liked Skyrim for a while until a bug wouldnt let me continue the main questline. I've never quit playing MW.
    :)

Im gonna get flak for this, but I tried morrowind, it is too outdated and the combat is so awful it makes me want to eat nails. Even with the overhaul. Maybe when skywind comes out I will try it again, but not until then.

Well,you tried it too late.When it came out it set new standards.I had never seen a game as beautiful.Then,you could change the world,your characters face and body,just about anything you can do with that game.Even upgrade the movement.
    Skywind is about halfway done now.72 people are on the team an working very hard.I,too will be in it when it comes out.It looks just like Morrowind,but far better,if that is possible.
    When they opened up an early unfinished beta,I DLed it,and though there were no people or quests it was amazing.I removed it due to it not being compatable with some mods I wanted.It's still there,but dormant in my game.

Sure, it was ground breaking for its time, but so was duck hunt.

Still doesn't change the fact it was a watershed moment in gaming.

That is what I was saying. It was groundbreaking for its time, but lets not really jump to conclusions like it still has a "huge" following. Sure for an old game it is popular, but skyrim has a huge following, WoW has a huge following, Final fantasy has a huge following, morrowind has some fans. I am sure when skywind is finished, then yes, it will get a huge following again, thanks to the new combat system from skyrim.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    have any of you ESO players played oblivion? in TES IV, every oblivion plane was a large, beautiful, in depth landscape with large pits of lava and enormous towers to explore. it had gruesome depictions of people's tortured existences there, with burnt corpses, heads on pikes, etc etc. it had poisonous plants, plants that would attack you, and it had numerous types of traps such as the thing that shoots fire at you, or the slicer thingy.

and then there's zenimax's oblivion gate quests in the aldmeri dominion quest play through. there you had to shut 3 gates. each gate there were what, 20 monsters, and the sigil stone was 20 feet away from where you entered? you could shut an oblivion gate in 2 minutes. that's pathetic. zenimax needs to rethink, put more creativity, and more substance into their oblivion gates, because this is an insult to the elder scrolls series. oblivion was made in 2006, and it's play through of shutting gates is still better than ESO's. what's your guy's opinions on this?

just a reminder for those a little rusty on what TES IV's oblivion gates were like, here's a reminder; latest?cb=20110621230345

Meh,I wasnt impressed with OB.I preferred Morrowind,and still do. I finished OB in just a few hours.Not much there for me.I liked Skyrim for a while until a bug wouldnt let me continue the main questline. I've never quit playing MW.
    :)

Im gonna get flak for this, but I tried morrowind, it is too outdated and the combat is so awful it makes me want to eat nails. Even with the overhaul. Maybe when skywind comes out I will try it again, but not until then.

Well,you tried it too late.When it came out it set new standards.I had never seen a game as beautiful.Then,you could change the world,your characters face and body,just about anything you can do with that game.Even upgrade the movement.
    Skywind is about halfway done now.72 people are on the team an working very hard.I,too will be in it when it comes out.It looks just like Morrowind,but far better,if that is possible.
    When they opened up an early unfinished beta,I DLed it,and though there were no people or quests it was amazing.I removed it due to it not being compatable with some mods I wanted.It's still there,but dormant in my game.

Sure, it was ground breaking for its time, but so was duck hunt.

Your point? Do people still play Duck Hunt?
    MW still has a large and current community.There are a lot of mods coming out for it even as we speak.Such as the Skywind Project.They've been working on this mod for MW to become an online game for several years now.Not wanting there to be anything wrong.
    Morrowind is more popular then Duck Hunt,I would venture to say.

I dunnooooo, Duck hunt is the bees knees. >_<
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I agree that the Oblivion realms could be larger and more... menacing, the Oblivion GATES are freaking gorgeous.

pJ0R939.jpg

Spot On.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We also may or may not be looking at an effect of the Coldharbour Compact. It's been hinted before that that may be impacting the amount the Daedric Princes are allowed to influence Nirn.
    UrQuan wrote: »
    They were. Estre worshiped Mehrunes Dagon, and believed that she was doing his bidding, but as you find out in the quests at the Cliffs of Failure she was actually a pawn of Molag Bal.

Whether that means that she was actually dealing with Molag Bal when she thought she was dealing with Mehrunes Dagon and the Oblivion Gates were entirely his doing, or whether it means that Molag Bal had been dealing with Mehrunes Dagon to assist in manipulating the Veiled Heritance, the result is the same. Ultimately the scope of those Oblivion Gates should be much smaller, as Molag Bal wouldn't waste much of his own resources on them, and if Mehrunes Dagon was involved he wouldn't care to waste much resources on them either as it wasn't really for the benefit of his own plans.

@UrQuan: This is what you're looking for. :)
    Your Veiled Majesty,
    Civility at last. I am pleased with our new agreement. Your service to Molag Bal, despite your tawdry oath to Lord Dagon, will ensure you victory in your conflict. Across the face of Tamriel, there can be only one victor in this war.
    My minions will carry orders to you when the time is right. Do not fail me. Loyal service is rewarded, but betrayal—well. The punishment would be unimaginable.
    Do as I command, in the name of Molag Bal.
    (And under your breath you can quietly pray to any Prince you choose.)
    The King of Worms,
    Mannimarco

There are a series of notes leading up to it, IIRC they're in a side dungeon in Auridon.
    Thanks @WhiteCoatSyndrome - I had actually forgotten that Estre's service to Molag Bal was spelled out explicitly prior to when you meet her in Coldharbour.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well remember, Oblivion happens in the future. Mehrunes Dagon got smarter by then and stopped putting the red button that ends his evil plan where doorbells usually go in oblivion and moved them back into his master bedroom.

These things happen, sometimes security planning needs testing and adjusting. Daedra are also rather stupid. They can't make anything on their own so they have to make people paranoid and see how they adapt to their paranoia so they can come up with solutions for their own security issues. It's a wonky way to go about existence, no wonder most of them are jerks.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you done veteran City of Ash? That's a pretty good representation of Mehrunes' plane, and its better than copypasted gates in TES 4.
    Also, this

here's some pics to help you visualize what i mean by it; 2013_07_22_00003_by_luckylukex3-d6flqzi.jpg VS shivering_isles_snapshot_by_slayersyrena-d7fwa7m.jpg

see how much blander Zenimax's interpretation of these planes are?
    Is a pretty biased comparison. I can also screenshot some dungeon corner in TES 4 and pretend that Shivering Isles are lame.
    If you follow the quest, Sheogorath recreated alliance cities and characters so they serve as decorations and actors for his play. Even the names of locations in this quest imply that its a Sheo-style parody: Heartholdhelm, Skyroot Hearth and Daggerwaymore. :D

Edited by LadyNalcarya on March 20, 2016 2:53PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Pepsi2853_ESO
    Pepsi2853_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Have you done veteran City of Ash? That's a pretty good representation of Mehrunes' plane, and its better than copypasted gates in TES 4.
    Also, this

here's some pics to help you visualize what i mean by it; 2013_07_22_00003_by_luckylukex3-d6flqzi.jpg VS shivering_isles_snapshot_by_slayersyrena-d7fwa7m.jpg

see how much blander Zenimax's interpretation of these planes are?
    Is a pretty biased comparison. I can also screenshot some dungeon corner in TES 4 and pretend that Shivering Isles are lame.
    If you follow the quest, Sheogorath recreated alliance cities and characters so they serve as decorations and actors for his play. Even the names of locations in this quest imply that its a Sheo-style parody: Heartholdhelm, Skyroot Hearth and Daggerwaymore. :D

just for the record, i have done vCOA. i felt that was the only oblivion gate worthy of applause. my only beef is with the small gates in auridon. here's something to ponder for all those talking about how mehrunes dagon was just doing a small scale invasion and that's why his sigil stones were 20 feet away from the start; - why was he then also able to make such a big, super massive gate in vCOA? if he could make the huge gate we play through in vCOA surely he has the resources to make those gates in auridon a bit bigger too, right? whether the plan of his invasion was small or not, it still doesn't make sense for the gates to be designed so that a toddler could shut it. that's low par security.