Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Improving Writs for New Players/Low Level Characters

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I decided to roll a new character on a different server, which meant I had no crafter to make me supplies, to Champion Points to spend, nothing but the drops and mats I collected myself, just like when I started at the game's launch. I figured getting a head start in crafting would be useful, especially since the Writ system didn't exist the last time I was in this situation. Here are some observations that are meant to make learning to craft more fun and worthwhile for new players (it's not the same if you have higher level alts to feed you mats to use or high level drops to decon) while still keeping it a challenge:

1. All low level equipment writs should include at least one, preferably two or three, deconstructable items, and they should *always* be intricate (learn more from deconning), never ornate (sells to merchants for more gold). The white items are worthless even with the ornate trait. A single trash mob carries more gold than what those items are worth. And even with intricate white items the inspiration (i.e. crafting xp) is really low. You could give 3-4 of those per writ and it still would be a blip.

2. All low level equipment writs should always include a survey map. It makes sense not to get them all the time for high level writs, but at low level farming mats is a huge time sink. Even with a survey in every writ reward box, it's still a time sink, but not as bad. Running around searching for mats for 30-60 minutes to do three equipment writs for junk rewards is fun how, exactly? I'm a level 37 close to finishing Eastmarch, I collect all drops for decon or research, and I'm still doing writs with a Stonefalls drop-off. I am not getting mats for those writs from decon because I am deconning level 30-something gear. Give survey each time and boost the nodes (more of them, more mats per, whatever) at the survey sites.

3. Make sure Grocers sell writ mats. When the game launched, there were a very few mats needed for provisioning at lower levels, so you could stack them in a few storage spaces and then grind away at cooking pit. Not so much now. It's great that you now have a vendor (Chef or Brewer) selling the recipes used in writs, yet, the Grocers don't carry all of the mats you need for the writs, particularly beverages. If you are new with limited bag and bank space carrying every provisioning mat you ever found just in case it is needed for the writ of the day when you are a level 5 provisioner isn't feasible. Again, mid to high range writs, sure, but this doesn't work for low level writs.

These are a few examples, and the common theme is that what works for higher level writs is a PITA for lower level writs for new players. The types of changes proposed are not excessive and will still leave crafting expertise as a long grind for new players, but the writs will actually be useful and worth doing rather than just waiting until you are higher level with a ton more storage space, mats, and gold and then grinding through to level 50 in a skill line in a short time.
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, why not just make it level the skill to 50 after doing it the 1st time. This is a bit extreme for a writ. Its meant as a bonus, not as a way to level the skill exclusively.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ritzey01 wrote: »
    LOL, why not just make it level the skill to 50 after doing it the 1st time. This is a bit extreme for a writ. Its meant as a bonus, not as a way to level the skill exclusively.

Your reply doesn't fit. Nothing I wrote is extreme or levels you up superfast in crafting, they are adjustments for parts of the writ system that don't scale well at the lowest levels.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    lets see, your 1st statement want more exp, as in only the inspiration items and more of them. Point 2 is for more free mats. Point 3 you want mats for the writs that you dont have to go farm, that are just handed to you. I stand by my statement.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lets see, your 1st statement want more exp, as in only the inspiration items and more of them. Point 2 is for more free mats. Point 3 you want mats for the writs that you dont have to go farm, that are just handed to you. I stand by my statement.

You can stand wherever you like, but the details I gave still don't fit your conclusion, especially if you have any experience with the lowest tier of crafting writs.

• Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty, i just wasnt looking for something to take out the work that makes it worth while. If its all handed to you and made too easy then there is no challenge to make any of it fun. I have aleays enjoyed crafting in all the games i have played through the years. In UO, DAoC, WoW, LoTRO and several others, i always maxed out all crafts and enjoyed it. But if they just hand it to you that takes the fun out of it.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty, i just wasnt looking for something to take out the work that makes it worth while. If its all handed to you and made too easy then there is no challenge to make any of it fun. I have aleays enjoyed crafting in all the games i have played through the years. In UO, DAoC, WoW, LoTRO and several others, i always maxed out all crafts and enjoyed it. But if they just hand it to you that takes the fun out of it.

You just keep repeating yourself and failing to acknowledge the specific details and explanations I originally offered that run counter to your claims. There is nothing in what I wrote that "takes out the work to make it worthwhile" or having everything made easy. If that really is all you can see in what I wrote, there is no point in replying further or trying additional explanations. Believe whatever you want, but this is getting old. I remain steadfast in the view that my ideas would make low level crafting better for new players and would in no way hand anything to them without effort, and I continue to advocate for those changes.

• Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    Too many people just want everything handed to them. .....SMH
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many people just want everything handed to them. .....SMH

Thanks for confirming you were just trolling. :smile:

• Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    If thats what you think then you didnt read a word i said.
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    I will reiterate what i said:

1. All low level equipment writs should include at least one, preferably two or three, deconstructable items, and they should *always* be intricate (learn more from deconning), never ornate (sells to merchants for more gold). The white items are worthless even with the ornate trait. A single trash mob carries more gold than what those items are worth. And even with intricate white items the inspiration (i.e. crafting xp) is really low. You could give 3-4 of those per writ and it still would be a blip.

You want the items that are rewarded to all be for greater EXP, and for there to be 3-4 of them.........level faster and easier.

2. All low level equipment writs should always include a survey map. It makes sense not to get them all the time for high level writs, but at low level farming mats is a huge time sink. Even with a survey in every writ reward box, it's still a time sink, but not as bad. Running around searching for mats for 30-60 minutes to do three equipment writs for junk rewards is fun how, exactly? I'm a level 37 close to finishing Eastmarch, I collect all drops for decon or research, and I'm still doing writs with a Stonefalls drop-off. I am not getting mats for those writs from decon because I am deconning level 30-something gear. Give survey each time and boost the nodes (more of them, more mats per, whatever) at the survey sites.

These are a nice bonus from time to time. You want them in every writ reward..........easier free mats

3. Make sure Grocers sell writ mats. When the game launched, there were a very few mats needed for provisioning at lower levels, so you could stack them in a few storage spaces and then grind away at cooking pit. Not so much now. It's great that you now have a vendor (Chef or Brewer) selling the recipes used in writs, yet, the Grocers don't carry all of the mats you need for the writs, particularly beverages. If you are new with limited bag and bank space carrying every provisioning mat you ever found just in case it is needed for the writ of the day when you are a level 5 provisioner isn't feasible. Again, mid to high range writs, sure, but this doesn't work for low level writs.

You want the mats to be readily available to you so you dont have to go get them..........easier mats, easier leveling and you dont have to ever leave town to max out crafting.

I hope this explains my point to you a little. you were stating your opinion and i was stating that i disagree with it and explained why, several times now. If that makes me a troll what does that make you?
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. You already get inspiration from completing the writ, without an intricate decon. So you're already getting the reward you want.

2. Writs were introduced to help create scarcity by encouraging mat destruction. Giving constant surveys would defeat this purpose. Also, writs are there to complete when you have a mat surplus. There's no reason for the game to hand you items to then make and sell those same items.

3. Again, this is part of the game. Sure, it would be easy to go to Vukel Guard, but $70 in groceries then craft them at the fire next to the guy and drop those off for XP and $300...but that's a bit lazy, right? At each writ level you need at most 12 ingredients...if someone want to do writs, the bag space isn't that intrusive.

I also disagree with your "wish list". I do provisioning writs every day. They are about the easiest task in the game...I make $3500 gold a week for burning 28 ingredients, and I also get inspiration (champion points), purple mats, junk ingredients and the monthly psijic fragment ($35,000 in guild stores).

Provisioning writs are fine...if anything they need a nerf, not a buff.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP you should change your title it's misleading I think many inexperienced players will come in here and think this is advice.
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."