Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What do I need as being a tank in a dungeon?

fetito666
fetito666
✭✭✭
What do I need as being a tank in a dungeon?

A shield? Heavy armor?
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Work on Undaunted passives and get 5 heavy 1 light 1 med. Armor Master is beast.
  • fetito666
    fetito666
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. Heavy armor is already maxed out. <3
  • Moozzie
    Moozzie
    ✭✭
    Where do you need the light armor for?
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Taunts.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You definitely need sword and shield on at least one bar, because you can't tank without a taunt. There are only 2 taunt skills in the game: the first skill in the sword & shield skill line (puncture/pierce armour/ransack), and the third skill in the Undaunted skill line (inner fire/inner rage/inner beast). You need at least one of these skills on your bar, and if you haven't done a lot of group dungeons you won't have access to the Undaunted taunt yet. Even when you do have access to it, you're going to want to use the sword & shield taunt as your main taunt, so you need to be rocking sword & shield on at least one bar.
    Moozzie wrote: »
    Where do you need the light armor for?
    There's an Undaunted passive ability (Undaunted mettle) that gives you bonus magicka, health, and stamina based on the number of different armour weights you're using. If you only use 1 type (like if you go 7-piece heavy) then you get bonuses of 2% to each stat. If you use 2 types (like if you go 5-pieces heavy, 2-pieces medium) then you get bonuses of 4% to each stat. If you use all 3 types (like if you go 5-pieces heavy, 1-piece light, 1-piece medium) then you get bonuses of 6% to each stat.

It's totally worth doing IMO.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need a taunt, Puncture/Ransack (stam) from the 1h+shield line or Inner fire (magicka) from the Undaunted. You need high survivability - high physical and spell resistance, and ideally some form of self heal and regen. Your job is to be a damage sponge, your build needs to be able to draw the damage and soak it up.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • fetito666
    fetito666
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, so I can taunt with heavy armor too via the Undaunted skillline?

I am almost V9, so I should be able to unlock it this weekend.
  • seaef
    seaef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you need?

You need a healer who isn't an idiot. Unfortunately they are rare.
    "The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - only everything is hardcore."
    - Kirsten Geary
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    postlarval wrote: »
    What do you need?

IMO a good tank should be able to survive for a good long while without a healer. You have to be prepared to survive those times when the healer dies and it takes a while for someone to manage to rez them.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    What do you need?

IMO a good tank should be able to survive for a good long while without a healer. You have to be prepared to survive those times when the healer dies and it takes a while for someone to manage to rez them.
    I totally second that. A good healer should do their utmost to keep you alive but things happen and you have to have some measure of survivability for when it does.

In fact I'd say that applies to the whole group. Don't dump the entire workload of keeping you alive in the healer lap. There's only so much they can do for you. They can't heal one shots especially when their OOM. Play smart. Cover your butt, spare your healer's magica and take some form of self heal/damage mitigation.

Any way, my tanking experience in ESO is not very extensive (I'm just not tank material :s ) but still I'll just add this little bit. You can't taunt everything, so focus on the heavy hitters. It also helps to Take some crowd control abilities with you if you can to keep hostiles rounded up together. It makes the dps' job of mopping up easier.
    Edited by Fruitmass on March 14, 2016 2:38AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    fetito666 wrote: »
    Ah, so I can taunt with heavy armor too via the Undaunted skillline?

I am almost V9, so I should be able to unlock it this weekend.

Taunts are not based on armor skills. Just the one from the sword and board line (stamina based), and the ranged taunt from the Undaunted line, which can be morphed to either stam or magicka.

Generally speaking, tanks are in at least 5 pieces of heavy armor, often with reinforced traits. There are light and medium armor tanks, tho.

You also need to bring your crowd control abilities. Slow down and stop mobs en masse, and try to compact them together so they can be DPSed faster. As a DK, I use talons, chains, and ash cloud as primary CC abilities.

Finally, you need shields and/or self-heals to help mitigate damage. Your healer probably can't heal through everything.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fruitmass wrote: »
    What do you need?

I totally second that. A good healer should do their utmost to keep you alive but things happen and you have to have some measure of survivability for when it does.

In fact I'd say that applies to the whole group. Don't dump the entire workload of keeping you alive in the healer lap. There's only so much they can do for you. They can't heal one shots especially when their OOM. Play smart. Cover your butt, spare your healer's magica and take some form of self heal/damage mitigation.
    Actually, when I'm tanking, aside from hanging out in any circles the healer puts down (where possible - sometimes you just can't do that - especially if you're trying to tank the boss away from the rest of the group), I try not to rely on the healer at all. Between damage mitigation, damage shields, self-heals, and being smart about what to block or dodge, a good tank should almost never need attention from the healer. I also try to be self sufficient with my resources and not rely on shards or orbs (although I'll synergize them if they come my way). I feel like if I'm calling out for heals or shards or orbs I've screwed something up. When I'm tanking I feel like it's my job to hold the heaviest hitters, control the battlefield, and be as self-sufficient as possible so that the healer can concentrate on the DPS (while also contributing to the group DPS), and the DPS can concentrate on doing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible. I don't always succeed at being this self-sufficient because I'm human and I make mistakes, but more often than not I'm not relying on the healer.
    Any way, my tanking experience in ESO is not very extensive (I'm just not tank material :s ) but still I'll just add this little bit. You can't taunt everything, so focus on the heavy hitters. It also helps to Take some crowd control abilities with you if you can to keep hostiles rounded up together. It makes the dps' job of mopping up easier.
    This is good advice.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Even though you can only taunt on target at a time, CC'ing and then taunting EVERYTHING is what I usually do. So while most don't, it is very much do able. I like doing it to keep dps from complaining when they can't even block one or two attacks, dps's are really annoying sometimes. As well those debuffs are nice to dishout on as many targets as you can. Some really good healers now know to put ele drain on EVERYTHING but helping out with resistance debuff with pierce armor is really good, especially when healers don't put ele drain on everything.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you need?

It would help if the tanks would not try and eat damage when they can easily not IE standing in stupid
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons