The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should softcaps come back?

Cody
Cody
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I just want to see what people on here think, most will probably say no, but I am curious
Edited by Cody on February 27, 2016 6:29PM

Should softcaps come back? 127 votes

yes
66%
Poxheartkevlarto_ESOArobainErock25KilandrosForestd16b14_ESOThatNeonZebraAgainskarvikaXsorusr.jan_emailb16_ESOTurelusWillhelmBlackpmn100b16_ESOkeni_harringtonb16_ESOdennissomb16_ESOdylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESOrendolpheb16_ESOa.ahanchiub17_ESOAshanneIxSTALKERxI 85 votes
no
33%
joshisanonymousTelelMaseriIxtyrTaonnorYusufAllPlayAndNoWorkGlarinPotenzakoby-xxrwb17_ESOnickreb17_ESOyelloweyedemonSureshawtFarorinRajajshkaMinscDagoth_RacGhostbaneFrozenAnimalalkodav 42 votes
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure honestly. When they were in place the entire population was a dps AND a tank in light armor with sword and board and staff - everyone. Soft caps wouldn't be necessary if Wrobel could actually keep the numbers on skills and multipliers in check. If soft caps did come back, they would need to actually have their heads out of their ass and keep them at levels that still allow for diversity among builds, which ... who are we kidding?
    Edited by Zheg on February 27, 2016 6:40PM
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Wtb roll back to 1.5
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • Jaybe_Mawfaka
    Jaybe_Mawfaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    With cp system it makes no sense anymore.
    Edited by Jaybe_Mawfaka on February 27, 2016 7:11PM
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes
    If they released a pre 1.6 server I would reroll and never look back.
    Edited by Kilandros on February 27, 2016 6:55PM
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    Zheg wrote: »
    Not sure honestly. When they were in place the entire population was a dps AND a tank in light armor with sword and board and staff - everyone. Soft caps wouldn't be necessary if Wrobel could actually keep the numbers on skills and multipliers in check. If soft caps did come back, they would need to actually have their heads out of their ass and keep them at levels that still allow for diversity among builds, which ... who are we kidding?

I remember 1.5 like it was yesterday. Not everyone was like that. I would know, because I was wearing people down and bursting them on my sorc just fine. And I sure as hell wasn't using sword and board.

I'd take magic meta where resource management was actually a thing, over fights that end in 5 seconds, and every boring stam build that look identical, behave identical, and function identically on every class.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    The game had a better design before 1.6 came out. To go back to 1.5 would be amazing. Softcaps were one of the great things about 1.5.
    Edited by Firerock2 on February 27, 2016 7:00PM
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Too bad the AOE caps poll was 3000 to 500 against it when they suggested it...
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Lord_Hev wrote: »

I remember 1.5 like it was yesterday. Not everyone was like that. I would know, because I was wearing people down and bursting them on my sorc just fine. And I sure as hell wasn't using sword and board.

I'd take magic meta where resource management was actually a thing, over fights that end in 5 seconds, and every boring stam build that look identical, behave identical, and function identically on every class.

I don´t get where the resource management myth comes from. There were builds that could fight for 30+ minutes without ever running out of juice back then. I know because i´ve played one (the worst part was you could not stack enough dmg to kill those because of - softcaps. The only thing reliably killing stuff was bugged fear breakfree). Resource management was gone from the game when 5p setbonuses were introduced.

1.5 has to be the most boring meta by a long shot of everything i remember of eso pvp. Everyone would walk away in permablock and hope for adds or to reach the next resource. Bleh.
    Edited by Derra on February 27, 2016 7:11PM
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Most of you voting for yes did not play when soft caps were in game it was much worse. I almost wish they put them back in so the forums would be even more toxicity and rage. You guys just don't think sometimes makes me glad the devs never read this stuff.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    Most of you voting for yes did not play when soft caps were in game it was much worse. I almost wish they put them back in so the forums would be even more toxicity and rage. You guys just don't think sometimes makes me glad the devs never read this stuff.

well there were both good and bad things about it. the LA perma block block cast tanks were certainly one issue, but with the new changes to armor, I believe that would not be as much of an issue as before if softcaps were brought back.

but they also prevented someone from 3 shotting people in open combat or getting shield stacks to 18-20K, ( or the 1.8-2K equivalent of that time) it was a trade off of sorts. Good in exchange for bad.

As for a complete rollback to 1.5 like a few here suggested, I would be willing, IF the current armor changes remained in place, and armor/spell enchants would not be capable of reaching the cap for anyone not wearing Heavy Armor, which I am sure is possible to do. I would certainly love to have sparks back:D
    Edited by Cody on February 27, 2016 7:25PM
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    No. Soft caps were horrible and made it really hard to theory-craft interesting builds. You always hit a mathematical wall that artificially limited what was possible.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Nope soft caps is just going ruin what they already change in the game like champion points, newer sets, major and minor buffs, and a lot of otherthings tied to the change. They already took too long trying to change the base game and they are still trying to change the base game with vet rank removal. I just want the base game to be complete so they can just improve on the formula.
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    no
    Skies the limit pls.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    Derra wrote: »

I don´t get where the resource management myth comes from. There were builds that could fight for 30+ minutes without ever running out of juice back then. I know because i´ve played one (the worst part was you could not stack enough dmg to kill those because of - softcaps. The only thing reliably killing stuff was bugged fear breakfree). Resource management was gone from the game when 5p setbonuses were introduced.

1.5 has to be the most boring meta by a long shot of everything i remember of eso pvp. Everyone would walk away in permablock and hope for adds or to reach the next resource. Bleh.

Actually resource management in 1.5 was harder than any other version so far, because of the Harness Magicka nerf.

Anyway, I'd rather see diminishing returns on most stats, with a smoother curve than softcaps. That's really the only thing I didn't like about them, everyone running the same stats.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    No. Soft caps were horrible and made it really hard to theory-craft interesting builds. You always hit a mathematical wall that artificially limited what was possible.
    Like it is now possible to theorycraft new interesting builds?
    You could at least make a hybrid build and be competitive with it in 1.5. There were endless amounts of successful combinations and each were unique. It is now impossible to do such a thing. You either have to follow one or two builds for each class or gtfo become a free ap to those who copy paste those builds.
    How could this be diversity?
    Edited by Soris on February 27, 2016 8:06PM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Soris wrote: »
    You could at least make a hybrid build and be competitive with it in 1.5. There were endless amounts of successful combinations and each were unique. It is now impossible to do such a thing. You either have to follow one or two builds for each class or gtfo become a free ap to those who copy paste those builds.
    How could this diversity?

Hybrid builds were never very competitive, but their short-comings were not as obvious as they are now.

If you really want hybrid builds to be viable, stop asking for soft caps and start asking for damage to not be scaled off of either stamina or magicka.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Soris wrote: »
    How could this diversity?

Hybrid builds were never very competitive, but their short-comings were not as obvious as they are now.

If you really want hybrid builds to be viable, stop asking for soft caps and start asking for damage to not be scaled off of either stamina or magicka.
    Im not a fan of hybrids but some of the hybirds(if not all) were absolutely competitive, i played one and i was rocking with it in 1.4-5

Softcaps were actually there to prevent such extreme builds like we have them now. Like bol spam templars, infinite dodge rollers, extreme dmg numbers etc etc. And as you can see their blanket nerfs can not stop these but softcaps can.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    Hmm soft caps would allow tanks to you know.......... TANK !!!
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes

Just your sorc had infinite magicka regen and enough damage to kill people doesnt mean every other class had it the same way. You can go watch some templar or dk pvp videos and see the resource management minigame. Sypher has a lot of dk duel videos, just watch how his magicka and stamina dying in between ultimates. Then imagine how could that be for templars without battle roar passive.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    ToRelax wrote: »

Actually resource management in 1.5 was harder than any other version so far, because of the Harness Magicka nerf.

Anyway, I'd rather see diminishing returns on most stats, with a smoother curve than softcaps. That's really the only thing I didn't like about them, everyone running the same stats.

Maybe i did not notice that because i never used harness unless on a solo trip in 1.6 and dueling. I never had space for it in open world...
    Edited by Derra on February 27, 2016 9:10PM
    <Noricum>

• stewart.leslie76b16_ESO
    Soft Caps won't come back as somebody in a senior position of the development team misread that the siege of Troy lasted 10 seconds because of some seriously heavy dps, and we all know that was an epic battle because they made a film about it staring Brad Pitt.

To be honest I thought soft caps were silly but then I look at some of the PvP battle being fought at the time. It's them epic 2 hour long battles that got me to enjoy PvP, but now I hate it for several reasons. The only problem is it has a serious knock on effect with PvE. Players at the moment can get through most content without relying for a group. With the grouping mechanic the way it is in this game, it would be a negative effect to bring soft caps back for PvE.
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Soft Caps won't come back as somebody in a senior position of the development team misread that the siege of Troy lasted 10 seconds because of some seriously heavy dps, and we all know that was an epic battle because they made a film about it staring Brad Pitt.

To be honest I thought soft caps were silly but then I look at some of the PvP battle being fought at the time. It's them epic 2 hour long battles that got me to enjoy PvP, but now I hate it for several reasons.

The only thing dumb about these battles was they had the brilliant design idea for one class to rely on rgn burst to kill people instead of sustained pressure (which basically could not happen because dmg was too low).
    <Noricum>

• WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    ...but I'm dreaming.
    PC EU
  • skarvika
    skarvika
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes
    Yes. It's really not fun getting 1 hit killed all the time.
    QQing is a full time job
  • stewart.leslie76b16_ESO

To be honest I thought soft caps were silly but then I look at some of the PvP battle being fought at the time. It's them epic 2 hour long battles that got me to enjoy PvP, but now I hate it for several reasons.

The only thing dumb about these battles was they had the brilliant design idea for one class to rely on rgn burst to kill people instead of sustained pressure (which basically could not happen because dmg was too low).

Dumb!!!!! Anti personal siege being deployed, heavy armour melee pushing forward being supported by healers, stealthy melee sneaking around looking for weak leaks to exploit. Sorcs and bow running from one end of a battle to another where they are needed. Massive number of players working together working only by visual clues as to what is going on. You call that DUMB!!!! I'm not sure what your idea of a battle is, but they certainly took longer then 10 minutes.
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no

Dumb!!!!! Anti personal siege being deployed, heavy armour melee pushing forward being supported by healers, stealthy melee sneaking around looking for weak leaks to exploit. Sorcs and bow running from one end of a battle to another where they are needed. Massive number of players working together working only by visual clues as to what is going on. You call that DUMB!!!! I'm not sure what your idea of a battle is, but they certainly took longer then 10 minutes.

Aaand i have no idea what you want to say with that statement :grey_question:
    <Noricum>

• Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    no
    I vote no because of the current state of the game. I would love for a return to 1.5. But considering the Battle Spirit debuff and CP caps, softcaps on stats don't make too much sense.

This is completely untrue. There are a slew of set bonuses that are totally nonviable now because there are no softcaps.
    Almost all magicka builds are some (slight variation) of Kag / Mag / Will
    Almost all Stamina builds are some (slight variation) of Hunding / Agility / BS+kena

Hybrid builds were totally competitive pre 1.6.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Ishammael wrote: »
    I vote no because of the current state of the game. I would love for a return to 1.5. But considering the Battle Spirit debuff and CP caps, softcaps on stats don't make too much sense.

This is completely untrue. There are a slew of set bonuses that are totally nonviable now because there are no softcaps.
    Almost all Stamina builds are some (slight variation) of Hunding / Agility / BS+kena

Nonviable... or unnecessary? You guys keep making sound like there was all this "diversity" of builds before soft caps were removed. Well, I was there, and there wasn't. Back then, it was Warlock + Seducer or GTFO. A few people also used Arch-Mage or even Desert Rose, but those sets were super rare and hard to get. The existence of cookie cutter FOTM builds that the masses flock to has NOTHING to do with soft caps.

Edited by Emma_Overload on February 28, 2016 2:43PM
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • manny254
    manny254
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes
    The lack of build variability is currently due to poor itemization. Soft caps themselves where an attempt to stop more casual players from having a large power gap. From a build perspective the mechanics themselves prevented players from being diverse.

I feel the new sets next patch will create a lot of diversity.

Edit: Miss clicked on the vote.
    Edited by manny254 on February 28, 2016 2:53PM
    - Mojican
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    Ishammael wrote: »

Nonviable... or unnecessary? You guys keep making sound like there was all this "diversity" of builds before soft caps were removed. Well, I was there, and there wasn't. Back then, it was Warlock + Seducer or GTFO. A few people also used Arch-Mage or even Desert Rose, but those sets were super rare and hard to get. The existence of cookie cutter FOTM builds that the masses flock to has NOTHING to do with soft caps.

Main issue back then and now: Most sets are bad. Plain and simple.

The other interesting sets are almost impossible to get without extensive amounts of farming repetetive pve content. In terms if gearing i think the game has never had as much possibilities as it has now. Most of them aren´t used simply because they´re too hard to get.
    <Noricum>