The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

One Year Ago

Ishammael
Ishammael
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
This was possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XastWEM6pq0

Shout-out to @Etaniel for the most bad-ass DK videos from 1.4 and 1.5 and insane zerg-diving.

Now we're all in one-shot builds with infinite mana (LOL) shouting 3... 2... 1... prox now.
Scream all you want about imbalance, the game was more fun then.
RIP 1.5

Post your fondest memories of yester-year.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Back with old forward camps we actually had crazy scroll chases, these days once they get it out of the temple it's pretty much gone. Although at the time they hadn't fixed the 'ability lag' problem, which you rarely see anymore since IC update.

https://youtu.be/2-1IXabd_Tc

NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the song? It really set the mood lol
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can say whatever you want about dynamic ulti-gen, but back then skill and group coordination mattered more than numbers to a way higher degree than now-a-days. These guys make it look easy because they were some of the best at it (except @Nafirian RIP 1st clip). Unbelievable how fun the game was back then - and how f*cking smooth the animations and perfomance overall was compared to now.

It's sad ZOS ruined what we had and it's even more sad it's probably never going to be as fun again.

Edit: Gotta add this one. No AOE caps, scrubs being punished for being scrubs. As it should be.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtN-rB0OQVU
    Edited by Jhunn on February 27, 2016 4:03AM
    Gave up.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What was the song? It really set the mood lol

Etaniel's vid starts off with a song from the matrix - 'clubbed to death'
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i dont miss 1.5 as a whole but there are certain aspects I miss. Softcaps, for one.
    Edited by Cody on February 27, 2016 6:18AM
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As much as people look back at the 1.5 DK's, let's not forget that other classes in the hands of decent players preformed well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn92Vj_HDl4

RIP 1.5 Magicka NB.
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People say that 1.5 was all magic dominated. Yet it still felt so diverse, and every class had it's own unique feel and role to play.

Now it's just Stam builds wearing Bloodspawn and Kena + Shuffle running around.. Every single stam build performs the same. Feels the same. Fights the same. And even -looks- the same. Does not even matter what class you are. Literally look and behave the same. How utterly boring. This meta is the true definition of cookie-cutter. Not what the morons cried 1.5 was. How much weap dmg can you stack while maintaining some sustain, and just go ham.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    and the prox det caterpillar
  • Nafirian
    Nafirian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »
    This was possible:

Shout-out to @Etaniel for the most bad-ass DK videos from 1.4 and 1.5 and insane zerg-diving.

Now we're all in one-shot builds with infinite mana (LOL) shouting 3... 2... 1... prox now.
    RIP 1.5

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO The memories :'(:'(@LegendaryChef Your negates in this video :'(
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wgmwZ1Fams
    Edited by Nafirian on February 27, 2016 8:08AM
  • VoiDGhOs7
    VoiDGhOs7
    ✭✭✭✭
    :'(:'(:'( RIP 1.5 and it's wonders...
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Negatebot does not remember 1.5 fondly. Not at all.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Hev wrote: »
    People say that 1.5 was all magic dominated. Yet it still felt so diverse, and every class had it's own unique feel and role to play.

Now it's just Stam builds wearing Bloodspawn and Kena + Shuffle running around.. Every single stam build performs the same. Feels the same. Fights the same. And even -looks- the same. Does not even matter what class you are. Literally look and behave the same. How utterly boring. This meta is the true definition of cookie-cutter. Not what the morons cried 1.5 was. How much weap dmg can you stack while maintaining some sustain, and just go ham.

Nothing really change back then we had people getting their ultimates infinitely and most people stack crits so they can build ultimates faster. There were plenty of cookie cutter builds. We still had people complaining 1.5 was crap. We still had people complain about class imbalance. Instead of sorcs and nightblades being op we had just sorcs and DKs being op. Bat swarming was a bigger probelm back then. 1.5 was the rise of nirnhoned. Everybody was stacking aoes. There was plenty of people using cookie cutter builds. So nothing really change other then a new meta with new problems tbh.
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was possible:

RIP 1.5

aahhhh those were the days when group/zerg pvp wasn't based on aoe, (and this group like now banana squad but without unbrain aoe spam) mainly aoe only from ulties and sometimes from normal skills, , no stupid aoe spam for idiot zerg pugs, this was very very much better than now with 20-40 idiots spamming now *** aoe, tornado deto, they dont need brain to target someone...just go ahead with group spamming aoe and dont use you brain to target someone, for what? if he will die in moment from 20+ aoe skills in this same time.

delete aoe skills from pvp or maybe make you can be hiited from aoe only from 2 persons, then also you can destroy zerg with few peoples like in this :smiley:
    Jhunn wrote: »

no more stupid unbrain aoe spam zergs pls
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who wasnt a fan of zergdiving at all i also still dislike the 1.5 meta.

1.6 on the other hand was "my patch" fitting the playstyle i always wanted to achieve. To me kiting and crowed controlling (pre animation nerf bombard <3) is the essence of skill in every open world pvp game.
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sypher wrote: »
    As much as people look back at the 1.5 DK's, let's not forget that other classes in the hands of decent players preformed well.

RIP 1.5 Magicka NB.

This is totally true. I remember being put on "farm" by krim when he was emp while I was still learning to play the game.
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did someone say dynamic ulti-gen? :trollface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESqr_QyaGKA
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Soft caps made the builds more diverse because skills that are suboptimal now were viable then. Perfect example is Flame Whip. Softcaps also kept the power of really strong skills restrained, e.g. hardened ward, streak, cloak.

Since the introduction of the stamina / magicka divide with 1.6 coupled with uncapped stats, players were forced to choose one or the other. Hence all stamina builds are basically the same because there is not enough flexibility in class skills to truly make a build. Pre-1.6 everyone utilized mostly class skills and hybrids were viable. Recall the strong setup of Warlock + Arena. Who runs that now? Or when the heavy armor passives were actually good.

Another point: part of the reason players think fondly of their DKs is that -- despite some of the overpowered skills -- the class concept and execution were excellent. The DragonKnight, it skills, passives, strengths, and weakness made sense. ZoS was really close on the other three -- they just needed to keep tweaking. Instead, everything was thrown out the window.
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yuke wrote: »
    As someone who wasnt a fan of zergdiving at all i also still dislike the 1.5 meta.

1.6 on the other hand was "my patch" fitting the playstyle i always wanted to achieve. To me kiting and crowed controlling (pre animation nerf bombard <3) is the essence of skill in every open world pvp game.

I get this, I truly do.

Imagine if rather than scraping their entire gameplay balance and spending a year fixing it they had spent the last year adding stuff to the game: skills, outposts, gameplay modes, anything.
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Back with old forward camps we actually had crazy scroll chases, these days once they get it out of the temple it's pretty much gone. Although at the time they hadn't fixed the 'ability lag' problem, which you rarely see anymore since IC update.

Good times.

Ground Oil
    Camps
    Huge Fights
  • mchermie
    mchermie
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really miss BOTH 1.5 and 1.6. If either of those came back I would be so happy (not going to happen though..). Both so much more fun to play in than the current state of the game
    Retired
    NA DC
    K-Hole
    McHermie NB - AR 42
    McHermes DK - AR 18
    Lord Typh Templar - AR 11
  • Berserkur
    Berserkur
    ✭✭✭
    Imaging how high the ping will be nowadays
  • ginoboehm
    ginoboehm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_KaiSchober you see what we see in this video? actually skill and not the current meta ! You see what we don't see ? Freaking lag. Man/Girl up and role back to that it was a better game
  • blabafat
    blabafat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rip @ebethke_ESO glorious negates
    Fire Cloak - VR12 DK - Nord - EP
    Ámeer - VR15 Templar - Imperial - AD
    The Mágician - VR16 Templar - Imperial DC
    Magíc - VR16 DK - Dark Elf - DC
    Àmeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - DC
    ámeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - AD
    Æ ámeer - VR16 Templar - High Elf - EP
    Ameer Flow - Level 34 Nightblade - High Elf - EP

Youtube:
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCFNmXCgmTVo-T-p1BIVLxbQ
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    blabafat wrote: »
    rip @ebethke_ESO glorious negates

Not Glorious is dead.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Soft caps made the builds more diverse because skills that are suboptimal now were viable then. Perfect example is Flame Whip. Softcaps also kept the power of really strong skills restrained, e.g. hardened ward, streak, cloak.

Since the introduction of the stamina / magicka divide with 1.6 coupled with uncapped stats, players were forced to choose one or the other. Hence all stamina builds are basically the same because there is not enough flexibility in class skills to truly make a build. Pre-1.6 everyone utilized mostly class skills and hybrids were viable. Recall the strong setup of Warlock + Arena. Who runs that now? Or when the heavy armor passives were actually good.

Another point: part of the reason players think fondly of their DKs is that -- despite some of the overpowered skills -- the class concept and execution were excellent. The DragonKnight, it skills, passives, strengths, and weakness made sense. ZoS was really close on the other three -- they just needed to keep tweaking. Instead, everything was thrown out the window.

THIS.
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Poxheart
    Poxheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching those videos it's amazing to see how far the game has fallen.
    Unsubbed and no longer playing, but still checking the Alliance War forum for the lulz.

Pox Dragon Knight
    Poxheart Nightblade
    The Murder Hobo Dragon Knight - Blackwater Blade
    Knights of the WhiteWolf
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

softcaps should have stayed on in my opinion.

and yes, it has switched from mana builds being more powerful to stamina builds being more powerful. It is not entirely the fault of the dev team though. the devs only try to do what the fans want, as much as you and many others will hate me for saying, and most threads consist of someone wanting X thing nerfed. Even in the game itself this persists, I find people in chat complain more about X ability than the game mechanics as a whole, and the devs listen to it. what else are the devs to do? If they go against the wishes of the community as a whole they will face larger backlash than if they were to ignore the smaller percent of players requesting other things.
  • Junipus
    Junipus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ginoboehm wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_KaiSchober you see what we see in this video? actually skill and not the current meta ! You see what we don't see ? Freaking lag. Man/Girl up and role back to that it was a better game

Skill? Yes.
    Fun times? Yes.
    Lag? Also yes.

Just because you can't see it in the videos doesn't mean it didn't exist. Lots of fond memories of 1.5 but also lots of memories of having to only light attack since nothing worked from lag, not to mention frequent server kicks.

Lag won't get better until they reduce server side particle processing
    The Legendary Nothing
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This game was so much better back then.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT
  • Kilandros
    Kilandros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yuke wrote: »

I get this, I truly do.

Imagine if rather than scraping their entire gameplay balance and spending a year fixing it they had spent the last year adding stuff to the game: skills, outposts, gameplay modes, anything.

RIGHT!?! This game was awesome back then. It's frankly kind of unbelievable how ZoS has slowly destroyed their game while going 2 years without adding hardly any content.
    Invictus
    Kilandros - Dragonknight / Grand Overlord
    Deimos - Templar / Grand Warlord
    Sias - Sorcerer / Prefect
    Short answer is DKs likely won't be seeing a ton of changes before we go live; this class is still quite powerful (as it should be being a tank), even after some of the adjustments we've made to other classes and abilities.

DK IS NOT JUST A TANK CLASS. #PLAYTHEWAYYOUWANT