Maintenance for the week of June 24:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – June 24

How are these LIGHT robes ZOS???

• MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MornaBaine wrote: »
    I can't put my hand to the link right now but I have a distinct recollection that, around the time of the changes to Redguard and Orcish armor, ZOS let slip that they no longer make separate female torso models for any new armor but simply deform the male model a bit. Could we be seeing the results of that here?

Oh dear Divines, I HOPE you're wrong about that! @ZOS_GinaBruno tell me this isn't true!!!

Found it! See ESO Live at 00:35:20.

That is COMPLETELY HORRIFYING. Talk about cutting corners! In fact, pretty much everythign she says in that segment regarding the armor changes is horrible. And I notice we haven't gotten any "halter tops" in the CLOTHING we can find or steal in game either. So now I'm actually annoyed! LOL Really, SUPER disappointing all around.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem is, even if they were going for a chest plate look, it's still not done well. The chest looks like a balloon ending in a weirdly tiny waist. I don't mind different styles of light armour as long as it's done well, but the model on this just isn't, which is a shame because the textures are quite nice.

You totally hit the nail on the head. They took something I thought was going to be absolutely beautiful judging from how I had seen it look on male characters and made it look absolutely horrible on female characters. REALLY disappointing!

Options
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the AD style light armor? Oh my god it makes you look like a transformer O_O
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SO in context....some feel that light armor should only consist of cloth like materials?

Light armor is just depicting weight.

Cloth can be very heavy if sewn and constructed with padding and such.
    There are metal armors int he medieval times that look like plate armor but due to complexities learned in metal working, these armors were actually extremely light.

Also, as we level up, the armor is drastically raised so as current materials determine the armor value, I think its logical for some of the light armor to replicate looks of part metal, part leather and part cloth or any mix of the three.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't take the alliance styles away from us they're some of the best looking armor in the game D:

The detail is beautiful. I just really dislike the way it distorts the character body. It makes sense for HEAVY armor, not for LIGHT armor.

Talking about distortion:
    Have you seen the front part of glass shoulders from the side? This is distortion all over as well.
    And the Trinimac robe has a HUGE mesh distortion at the front side from the knees downwards, I don't know why no one ever mentioned this (I reported it as a bug, though). It's visible while standing, but even more when you're moving, especially when you go in sneak. Plus, the Trinimac robe looks awful from the side as well, the chest part is completely and utterly ugly, as if there were 2 rows of breasts... Too bad since I like this style and it is, besides of the two issues, very nicely done.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SO in context....some feel that light armor should only consist of cloth like materials?

There are metal armors int he medieval times that look like plate armor but due to complexities learned in metal working, these armors were actually extremely light.

Also, as we level up, the armor is drastically raised so as current materials determine the armor value, I think its logical for some of the light armor to replicate looks of part metal, part leather and part cloth or any mix of the three.

But you actually CAN mix different types of armor. I've worn a heavy chest on my Sorc with the Daedric skirt to effect a "battle mage" look and it's awesome. Robes, on the other hand, should look like robes. Let us as players decide what kind of armor our characters will wear. But most of all is just how BAD the SHAPE of this stuff is on female characters. I get that metal armor should NOT be "painted on" as some of the heavy armor is in this game. But this is just bad, lazy, cutting corners and is utterly shoddy work. They need to fix it.

Options
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Let us as players decide what kind of armor our characters will wear.
    Yes, let us. If I want to wear reinforced robes - so that my light armor actually includes armor - I should be able to. If you don't, you have 20+ other styles to choose from, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

I agree with you about the chest shape, though.
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But you actually CAN mix different types of armor. I've worn a heavy chest on my Sorc with the Daedric skirt to effect a "battle mage" look and it's awesome. Robes, on the other hand, should look like robes. Let us as players decide what kind of armor our characters will wear. But most of all is just how BAD the SHAPE of this stuff is on female characters. I get that metal armor should NOT be "painted on" as some of the heavy armor is in this game. But this is just bad, lazy, cutting corners and is utterly shoddy work. They need to fix it.

I think we are loosing context....

When I say mix, I'm referring to making one piece of armor (in real life) that may include combinations of cloth, leather and metal. So in ESO, its very logical to see artwork that demonstrates such as light armor. For Elder Scrolls Online, I believe it also makes sense because the progression system involves more and more complex materials for higher armor ratings.

I'm not saying you can put on a leather chest, cloth pants and metal helm (while you can, that isn't the reference I'm making)

So when it comes to robes, I disagree that a robe should only look like cloth. My family member was a clergy member and for certain prestigious attire, their actual robe consisted of cloth, leather and metal. now this was just for prestige and decoration but in context to people in war, today officers wear vests, helmets and body armor that would by definition be considered light armor because its made up of complex plastics, fibers and metal. Think of a Kevlar vest that is bullet proof and bullet proof glass.

Regarding the models and how this stuff fits...its pretty sad now. The costumes, and armor look very bad and I understand why but I also don't agree with the artwork decisions aesthetically in this game especially on females.
    Options
  • Lenikus
    Lenikus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooo.... wear different light armor pieces ? .... or a costume. those work too.
    ... Mai cave. >:3
    Options
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear with me on the following picture spam. I have a point to make. So, here are several types of light robes in the game:

Khajiit
    morna3_zpscvwl0x59.png

Breton
    MornaBreton_zps9ddwprbn.png

The old Redguard (SIGH)
    MornaRed_zpsivtabz66.png

Imperial
    MA15_zps5ohlhgv8.png

Necromancer
    MA13_zpszxsym3qy.png

Ancient Orc
    M1_zpsulqsmoky.png

Notice how closely fitted to the body they are. Which makes sense since they are CLOTH. But NOW there are these..
    MRA2_zpsgczlag6l.png

MRA3_zpsrh9klwuv.png

MRA1_zpsik7smboq.png

What the heck ZOS??? Okay so maybe you were tryingto make it look like these "robes" have a metal cuirass over them. But frankly, if I WANTED a metal curiass I'd WEAR one! PLEASE...make SOME effort to make what are supposed to be cloth robes LOOK like cloth rather than some monstrosity of BADLY DONE metal armor that wildly distorts my poor character's body. That'd be great. Thanks.

What the heck Zenimax is this a game released in 2001 lol Heretic look better than a game released in 2014.. or 2015 what ever...
    Options
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't put my hand to the link right now but I have a distinct recollection that, around the time of the changes to Redguard and Orcish armor, ZOS let slip that they no longer make separate female torso models for any new armor but simply deform the male model a bit. Could we be seeing the results of that here?

Oh dear Divines, I HOPE you're wrong about that! @ZOS_GinaBruno tell me this isn't true!!!

Found it! See ESO Live at 00:35:20.

That is COMPLETELY HORRIFYING. Talk about cutting corners! In fact, pretty much everythign she says in that segment regarding the armor changes is horrible. And I notice we haven't gotten any "halter tops" in the CLOTHING we can find or steal in game either. So now I'm actually annoyed! LOL Really, SUPER disappointing all around.

What did you expect? Have you noticed the trend with their costume designs? Did you notice how it replaced your tuned look from the character creator with a premade body 'close' to your setup?

They're getting really lazy on designing and developing to make that quick buck broski
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What style is this in the last 2 pictures?
    (...)

So can anyone tell me what style they are?
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP

Options
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    (...)

I believe those are the new Alliance motifs coming with TG.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
    Options
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »
    (...)

Thank you, @Xendyn :)

Options
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could live with the bit of metal on it to make it a bit more, battlemage looking IF the distortion wasn't there. Okay maybe they aren't making separate pieces any longer but seriously who at ZOS looked at the shape of these and went "Yup that looks fantastic, release it!"

Dont at all mind releasing different styles for different tastes. There are lots of light armor that looks light but hopefully this isnt a new trend and just something different. Different is good, distortion of the female body is not.

And yes, good grief yes, this is something that matters. We should not have to put costumes on to hide hideous or hideously distorted armor. There is absolutely no reason for that.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
    Options
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some replies seem to be missing the point. It's not that the armor looks bad, it's that the models aren't female or male specific and fit the character forms wrong. The armor design itself is fine. Considering the uproar over costumes that change our female's body types, making barrel chests, or overly waspish waists, I don't really get why people are fine with armor making boobs, yes BOOBS look awful and weird. If anything, ZOS should make armor female specific and alter it to male forms since they have less....interesting..geography up there.

No, not really. They should be made male and female specific, I was just trying to drive a point home.
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
    Options
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daraugh wrote: »
    Some replies seem to be missing the point. It's not that the armor looks bad, it's that the models aren't female or male specific and fit the character forms wrong. The armor design itself is fine. Considering the uproar over costumes that change our female's body types, making barrel chests, or overly waspish waists, I don't really get why people are fine with armor making boobs, yes BOOBS look awful and weird. If anything, ZOS should make armor female specific and alter it to male forms since they have less....interesting..geography up there.

No, not really. They should be made male and female specific, I was just trying to drive a point home.

Thanks.
    I was unsure of the context.

I do have major issues with the lack of female art designs and noticed even from the port from PC to Xbox one that there's a major texture and design change on consoles.

Now I'm comparing an older gtx260m vid card to the Xbox one and there is no way that card is close to better than the Xbox one vide card that picked on

I mean there are drastic differences noticed and then the changes or decisions commented by Gina....are below a standard this team should have.

Options
  • LuminaLilly
    LuminaLilly
    ✭✭✭✭

You know, he might be right, have you seen the mercenary style robe?
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xendyn wrote: »
    (...)

Thank you, @Xendyn :)

Nope, these robes are already in the game. I bought one and the other was a gift from a guildie because I liked so much how they looked on male characters. The black and white one is the Phoenix robe and the all black one is Honor-something. I believe they are VR 15-16 only.

Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of the misunderstanding is my fault. I actually THOUGHT at first that they were deliberately trying to replicate the bulkiness of actual metal armor and that was why there was such bad shape distortion. Finding out that's not true, thet's it's merely the result of lazy design and cutting corners has actually made me pretty angry.

I've been blasted before for accusing ZOS of a certain amount of sexism and was told I was being unfair. But now they can't be bothered to take the time and effort to design armor for female characters and only design it for males? Are you SERIOUS ZOS????
    Edited by MornaBaine on February 23, 2016 11:20AM

Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lenikus wrote: »
    Sooo.... wear different light armor pieces ? .... or a costume. those work too.

The point is that we shouldn't have to.

Options
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭

Part of the misunderstanding is my fault. I actually THOUGHT at first that they were deliberately trying to replicate the bulkiness of actual metal armor and that was why there was such bad shape distortion. Finding out that's not true, thet's it's merely the result of lazy design and cutting corners has actually made me pretty angry.

I've been blasted before for accusing ZOS of a certain amount of sexism and was told I was being unfair. But now they can't be bothered to take the time and effort to design armor for female characters and only design it for males? Are you SERIOUS ZOS????

How misogynistic of you! Don't you know that gender is a social construct? The first steps to a better world are to eliminate the socially ingrained myth of "female curves" from popular entertainment! If you don't like that you'll have to play somewhere else! Get with the program sister, shun femininity at all costs or be left behind on the wrong side of history!
    I want spell crafting.
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How misogynistic of you! Don't you know that gender is a social construct? The first steps to a better world are to eliminate the socially ingrained myth of "female curves" from popular entertainment! If you don't like that you'll have to play somewhere else! Get with the program sister, shun femininity at all costs or be left behind on the wrong side of history!

I think I might actually love you. LOL Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! :smiley:

Options
  • Kelces
    Kelces
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it should. Gathering Spidersilk and Ancestorsilk for example should logically result in the corresponding products. Something a clothier understands.

There is even a real life example, that hardy material spun into a thin fabric can provide some quite firm protection:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioSteel
    If you really want to go hardcore reality-check on it :wink:
    You reveal yourself best in how you play.

Kelces - Argonian Templar
    Farel Donvu - Dark Elf Sorcerer
    Navam Llervu - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Aniseth - Wood Elf Warden
    Therediel - Wood Elf Templar
    Nilonwy - Wood Elf Nightblade
    Jurupari - Argonian Warden
    Kú-Chulainn - Argonian Sorcerer
    PC - EU
    For the Pact!
    Options
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »

Yes, it should. Gathering Spidersilk and Ancestorsilk for example should logically result in the corresponding products. Something a clothier understands.

There is even a real life example, that hardy material spun into a thin fabric can provide some quite firm protection:

SCIENCE FTW!!!!!! B)
    Edited by Storm_knight22 on February 23, 2016 11:52AM
    I want spell crafting.
    Options
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That looks like the bodice of dresses women wore during the middle ages, minus the sofa hips.

http://medievalfashion2013.weebly.com/medieval-fashion-for-women.html

But yeah, there were some really ugly fashions back in the day.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
    Options
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kelces wrote: »

It would really be nice if the materials you were gathering to craft things actually had some relevance to how they ended up looking. SIGH

Options
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it is Mithril or similar.
    It resembles silver but is stronger than steel, and much lighter in weight than either.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
    Options
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is also considered light, I like the look of it but the chest and shoulders look a lot like steel to me.

Screenshot-35.png
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on February 24, 2016 12:49PM
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Options
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bear with me on the following picture spam. I have a point to make. So, here are several types of light robes in the game:

Khajiit
    morna3_zpscvwl0x59.png

Breton
    MornaBreton_zps9ddwprbn.png

The old Redguard (SIGH)
    MornaRed_zpsivtabz66.png

Imperial
    MA15_zps5ohlhgv8.png

Necromancer
    MA13_zpszxsym3qy.png

Ancient Orc
    M1_zpsulqsmoky.png

Notice how closely fitted to the body they are. Which makes sense since they are CLOTH. But NOW there are these..
    MRA2_zpsgczlag6l.png

MRA3_zpsrh9klwuv.png

MRA1_zpsik7smboq.png

What the heck ZOS??? Okay so maybe you were tryingto make it look like these "robes" have a metal cuirass over them. But frankly, if I WANTED a metal curiass I'd WEAR one! PLEASE...make SOME effort to make what are supposed to be cloth robes LOOK like cloth rather than some monstrosity of BADLY DONE metal armor that wildly distorts my poor character's body. That'd be great. Thanks.

EDITING TO ADD: I originally thought the horrible shape distortion was a deliberate attempt on the part of ZOS to mimic metal armor on light robes. I have since found out via this thread that this is not the case. Instead, they simply can no longer be bothered to DESIGN armor for FEMALE characters and instead rely on DISTORTING the shape of MALE armor when it is worn by female characters. This is just flat out shoddy workmanship, corner cutting at its worst. And frankly, just a bit sexist. Whose decision was this anyway???? FIX IT ZOS, YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS!!!!

Haha,

Art department was just complying to the current game mechanics where LA Resistance does not differ that much with HA
    (vanilla 7/7 HA fighting vanilla 7/7 LA is incl 5k Penetration effect of LA: 12.5k Spell Resist versus 10k Spell Resist).

Edited by hrothbern on February 24, 2016 12:57PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
    Options