The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

10 Hour Day Length Adjustment

Gidorick
Gidorick
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Currently ESO has about a 6 hour day. While that works well, I believe that a 10 hour day would better benefit ESO in the long run and could lead to more advanced features and mechanics that would be beneficial to players and to ZOS.

Tl/DR
ESO should have a 10 hour day!

Topics:
  • 10 hours of Day & Night
  • Scheduling Play and Events
  • Torches & Night eye!
  • A year in ESO
  • Holidays

10 hours of Day & Night
In my Day/Night Equilibrium Thread I suggest that there be greater parity between ESO's day and night. If ZOS were to do this, having a 10 hour day would create a greater significance to both day and night.

If ZOS were to implement 10 hour days and AN equal day and night, we would see 5 hours of daylight and 5 hours of night. If ZOZ were to implement variable days and nights we could see 4 hours day and 6 hours night during the Winter Solstice and 6 hours day and 4 hours night during the Summer Solstice. This would mean that murderers, thieves, and ruffians would have an additional 2 hours during the winter to do their dirty deeds (If ZOS implemented more dangerous nights) and shops would remain open for 2 hours longer in the summer (If ZOS implemented more dynamic merchants that closed at night).

Scheduling Play and Events

A 10 hour day means that every actual earth day would last 2.4 ESO days and every day the ESO day relation to the Actual day relation would shift slightly. This means that a player who plays every day at the exact same time would see the time of day shift one full day and night cycle over a period of 5 days. This would add a bit of variety of play for those who play every day at the same time.

a 10 hour day would also mean that players events would have a longer period of time in which their event can take place. Especially events which are to take place at night.

The ability for players to plan their play time would be enhanced if ZOS established a standard Tamrielic Time and released player calendars.

Torches & Night eye!
Once ZOS implements a longer night there would be more justification for the creation, use, and sale of Torches and Potions of Night Eye. Night Eye would also give Khajiit a tactical advantage during the longer nights, but that is better left for a different thread. I speak more on Immersive Nights in THIS thread.

A year in ESO
One year in ESO would take a total of 21.72 weeks to pass. Each season within ESO would take 5.43 weeks. One month in ESO would take 1.81 weeks. This would be significant if ZOS were to implement a Birth sign mechanic as I suggested HERE. Mostly, however, this is significant for holidays.

Holidays
With a 10 hour day, players would see each Tamrielic holiday come around every 5 months. A 10 hour day also means ZOS can create in-game holiday specials that are powerful enough to have a significant impact on gameplay since the event would only last 10 hours or less.. and 10 hours would be long enough to ensure that a good deal of players get to experience the event. A player who misses the event would likely catch the event the next time around, which would only be 5 months later and with the variable night, the event could occur at a different time of the day here on Earth.

If ZOS decided to hold the event over a 2 day period in-game (The eve of the Holiday and the Holiday itself) the event would last 20 actual hours. They could even justify holding the event last for 24 hours (4 hours of afterparty! Woo hoo!) so all players would have an opportunity to partake in the festivities no matter what time of day they play.

Overview
If ZOS were to change the day length of an ESO day to 10 hour they would reap a myriad of benefits. With a 6 hour day and equal day and night we would only have 3 hours of day and 3 hours of night, which is arguably too short. Having a day this short would likely mean player events and parties would likely be forced to span day and night. With a 6 hour day players would be less inclined to purchase night specific items from the Crown Store and the significance of more dangerous nights would be muted. A year in ESO would take 3 months and 4 years would pass every actual Earth year and while there isn't anything specifically broken about this amount of time, I just personally believe that a longer day would ultimately be a good thing for both players and ZOS, would add a bit more flexibility and freedom with event planning, both official and unofficial, and would give more meaning to each day and each night spent on Nirn.
What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
That's right... Horse.
Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest that would kind of suck because i LOVE waiting for the right light to take screenshots in the game, lovely concept but i really love going screenshot spree.
    Edited by Ra'Shtar on February 17, 2016 2:52AM
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ra'Shtar wrote: »
    To be honest that would kind of suck because i LOVE waiting for the right light to take screenshots in the game, lovely concept but i really love going screenshot spree.

with this concept... (and the concept that would set a standard time and a calendar) you would be able to find out exactly when that perfect time is... schedule that play time in advance and THEN that time would last quite a bit longer than it does now @Ra'Shtar ... Longer screenshot sprees and more time for you to get that "perfect shot".

Just sayin. :wink:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Ra'Shtar
    Ra'Shtar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't wanna wake up at 6 am for morning light screenshots :sweat_smile:
    Some of my favorite screenshots
    My opinions and posts are mostly on a PvE setting.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    10 doesn't fit into 24 which is our hours in a day. Whereas 6 does. 2 days and 2 nights in our 24 hours.

It would have to be 12 hour days which isn't much different from 6. The problem with this however is say day time starts at 00:00 and ends at 12:00 midday. Monday 18:00 would be night time in game, then it should be the same on Tuesday and every other day. Some people would only be playing at night time in game.

6 hours is a healthy enough cycle I believe for everyone.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I explicitly stated why I think the day shouldn't be a factor of 24 @mb10 ... its a VERY deliberate decision.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Miszou
    Miszou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    10 doesn't fit into 24 which is our hours in a day. Whereas 6 does. 2 days and 2 nights in our 24 hours.

It would have to be 12 hour days which isn't much different from 6. The problem with this however is say day time starts at 00:00 and ends at 12:00 midday. Monday 18:00 would be night time in game, then it should be the same on Tuesday and every other day. Some people would only be playing at night time in game.

That's why the OP suggested 10 hour days - precisely because they don't fit.

Every "real" day you login, would be a slightly different time of day in Tamriel, so you wouldn't always be logging in at night time if you can only play in the evenings, for example.
  • mlstevens42_ESO
    mlstevens42_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Just cause night in game makes it hard for me the player to see I would rather not.....
    I know it is sort of an immersion thing for some but personally wouldn't mind if it wasn't ever night. Contrast and all that for us old and blind peeps...Like to be able to at least sort of see where I am going.
  • sylviermoone
    sylviermoone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tend to be online at very routine times throughout the week, and so the bulk of the time I spend in game is always the same parts of the day/night cycle. It's always daytime when I'm on Monday morning for trader reset. It's daytime again when I log on after work. I'd never really thought about that until reading this thread, but it leaves the game feeling very stagnate to me.

It's only on my days off, when I'm able to spend more than an hour or two online, that I have an opportunity to see a full day/night cycle, and the world just feels a little more....alive on those days.

I think it would be rather neat to log in after work and still see some sort of movement through the day/night cycles. For me, as it stands, 5 days a week I log in to full daylight in Tamriel, and I'm off again while it's still daylight.

I would support this change.
    Edited by sylviermoone on February 17, 2016 4:13AM
    Co-GM, Angry Unicorn Traders: PC/NA
    "Official" Master Merchant Tech Support
    and Differently Geared AF
    @sylviermoone
  • WldKarde
    WldKarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting concept @Gidorick as usual...and please keep them coming!

I play mostly at the same times during weeknights and the thought of enjoying the unbelievable sunrises and sunsets of Tamriel more often would be a most welcome treat.

There are some amazing touches that ZOS has brought to this game, that sometimes go unnoticed in the mad dash to finish "X" quest or get to "X" rank. The other night I was fishing in Wrothgar at dusk, and was amazed that I could actually watch the shadows on the rocks move as the sun was setting. Sometimes it's the small things that can really make your time in ESO feel a bit more rewarding :)
    PC NA
    Characters formally known as Veteran 16:
    Wldkarde, Sir WldKarde , Lil-Miss WldKarde,
    Dame WldKarde Stamplar "Master Angler" "Main" ,
    Shady WldKarde, WldKarde"s Bacon, Jaded WldKarde,
    River Wldkarde
    18 Master Anglers so far
    "Dames and Sirs, take my advice, pull down your pants...and slide on the ice!" Slightly adjusted quote of Dr. Sidney Friedman from M*A*S*H
  • SlayerTheDragon
    SlayerTheDragon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too worried about the actual length, as long as day and night are the same length. Currently daytime is 6 hours and night 2.
    ¤═══¤ People don't like it when you talk to them with your weapon drawn ¤═══¤
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggested that very thing (and a possible alternative) in the following link @DonoVDV your support (and post!) Is welcome!

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246156/we-need-day-night-equilibrium/p1
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »

well it it fits into 24h without a rest it is not good, because people who play at certain hours due to their job and other RL requirements, would have to live with always the same time of the day in their "forced" play time. A lot do not really have a choice weekdays, simply because job and family does not let them play at different times - this has to be taken into account as well with a new time system in ESO.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would make it 45 minutes daylight, 30 minutes night time - so that a day would pass in 1.25 hours. this is a factor of 19.2, which means, that within 5 real life years 96 years would have passed in the game. This would feel about right to me.

The other vital point for me is that someone who can just play for an hour or 2 will have an opportunity to play at daylight ingame, regardless when he will have time to play. And if he is on a shedule to play always at the same time in real life, he will have different experiences every day, because daylight is shifting from day to day (seen in RL days).

Edit: Oblivion and Skyrim had time scales of 30 - so that you can compare it.

It would as well feel right for those, who play a lot - like 5 or 10 hours each day - for them either 4 or 8 ingame days would pass during their play session - they play for a long time and it feels like a long time in game.

And the casual 1.5 h/day player would be able to experience a bit more than a full ingame day - what would feel as well right for him - he plays every day about an ingame day - I think this is a good choice for everyone.
    Edited by Lysette on February 17, 2016 1:22PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I considered the possibility of bringing ESO's day in line with the core TES titles @Lysette but there is one very important distinction between ESO and other TES titles... ESO is a persistent shared world. Time passes whether you're online or not.

Additionally, a big part of this concept ( and my Tamriel Standard Time Concept and my Day/Night Equilibrium Concept ) is to make a day in ESO meaningful part of Tamriel life. By having a longer, more robust, day and night ZOS could make night gameplay vastly different from day gameplay and would make things like nighteye, torches vampirism and werewolves an important part of day to day gameplay.

This longer day is also being suggested for Holiday implementation. I earnestly believe that establishing a calendar and setting Tamriel Holidays to the actual day they are supposed to be on would show a lot of reverence to the lore which ESO is based on. A 10 hour celebration would be plenty of time for many players to get on and partake in the festivities. 1.25 hours would not be.

Of course, ZOS will more than likely set the holiday celebrations to our calendar, like the FEB 16th celebration on the PTS of Hearts Day, which was awesome! I would be fine with that... for me it's 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other.

My desire for Tamrielic calendar centric holidays is 2 fold:
    1. It would offset Tamrielic holidays so they are not celebrated on the same day as their real world counterparts. This would free ZOS up to have crown store sales independent of Tamrielic Holidays so as to not "taint" the holidays.
    2. It would allow for Tamriel Holidays to occur multiple times each year to allow players to partake in the festivities of their favorite holiday more frequently.

I would understand a shorter day, like 7 hours as I understand a 5 hour night is a LOOONG night. 10 hours was reached by suggesting that we have variable day and nights where some parts of the year day is longer than night and other parts of the year day is shorter than night. I took the length of the current day time (4 hours) and made the arbitrary decision that the day time should not be shorter than is currently is now... so the short days would be 4 hours and the long days would be 6 hours, the equinoxes would the 5 hour day and 5 hours night.

So... that's how I came to the 10 hour day conclusion. lol... long winded I know. :lol:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care what change is made, I just want the night and day times to be at different times of the day from day to day. A 10 hour or 5 hour or even 7 hour day would do that.

While there is some time creep so that eventually things move around, it is not enough. I am basing this on trying to get that certain fish in Wrothgar and during my normal play time (evenings Mountain Time) it is almost always Day Time. However late afternoon and later at night, it is night time in the game.

Plus, I prefer to farm for Enchanting runes in game night as they are easier to see.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miszou wrote: »
    That's why the OP suggested 10 hour days - precisely because they don't fit.

Yeah, whether they change it significantly or not.... this is making me realize it should not be six!

If you play at the same time all the time, its the same Tamriel time each time you take time to play!
    :blush:
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I don't care what change is made, I just want the night and day times to be at different times of the day from day to day. A 10 hour or 5 hour or even 7 hour day would do that.

While there is some time creep so that eventually things move around, it is not enough. I am basing this on trying to get that certain fish in Wrothgar and during my normal play time (evenings Mountain Time) it is almost always Day Time. However late afternoon and later at night, it is night time in the game.

Plus, I prefer to farm for Enchanting runes in game night as they are easier to see.

I agree @Nestor , the PRIMARY reason for shifting the length of day is to make is so the day length isn't divisible by 24. Once I realized that a 10 hour day would result in
    Gidorick wrote:
    ...a player who plays every day at the exact same time (seeing) the time of day shift one full day and night cycle over a period of 5 days.

5 days to see a full day/night shift if you play every day. That seems awesome and VERY reasonable!... adding in the other reasons and I think a 10 hour day would serve the most players and provide the greatest opportunities for ESO.

But yea... I agree... the shifting day is really needed.
    Edited by Gidorick on February 17, 2016 11:40PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I do not like with such long days is, that casual players, who play just 1 or 2 hours and maybe not even per day but just on a few days per week might encounter a daytime, which is not after their liking, and it will be so for all of the game time on this day. So basically if they catch a time which is not really after their liking, they can forget to play at this specific day, just because the Tamriel day is too long. This can already happen with the current system, but it would be even more likely with a longer day/night cycle.

I have a couple of friends in ESO, who are like this - I see them playing for like 2 hours twice a week - and those might be really f***ed with such a longer day/night cycle - and the chance would be high that they encounter this every week - what ruins basically 50% of their available time for gaming.

All I want is that you consider as well this type of players. They might not play that often, but they are paying customers and they love ESO just as we do, they just have less time available for gaming. They should not be treated as players 2nd class.

Edit: as a side note - the way in which the sun moves currently over the sky suggest, that Tamriel is in the northern hemnisphere and not near the equator - so there will be most of the year unequal day/night. What you suggest is for living at the equator line - there it is about equal day/night cycles - but there the sun is neither in the north nor in the south, but right above your head - which makes shadows appear a lot different to what we are normally used to - and there is not real day/night transition as well, it gets dark rather quickly. Look at the sun and casted shadows, they suggest that Tamriel is nearer to the north than to the equator.
    Edited by Lysette on February 18, 2016 12:06AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lysette wrote: »
    What I do not like with such long days is, that casual players, who play just 1 or 2 hours and maybe not even per day but just on a few days per week might encounter day/night and it will be so for all of the game time on this day. So basically if they catch a time which is not really after their liking, they can forget to play at this specific day, just because the Tamriel day is too long. This can already happen with the current system, but in would be even more likely with a longer day/night cycle.

I have a couple of friends in ESO, who are like this - I see them playing for like 2 hours twice a week - and those might be really f***ed with such a longer day/night cycle - and the chance would be high that they encounter this every week - what ruins basically 50% of the available time for gaming.

All I want is that you consider as well this type of players. They might not play that often, but they are paying customers and they love ESO just as we do, they just have less time available for gaming. They should not be treated as players 2nd class.

I tried to consider this type of player @Lysette, Lets say your friend plays 2 hours on Monday and it's right smack in the middle of the day. and then plays 2 hours on Wednesday, it would be in the middle of the night. While individual play sessions wouldn't see a lot of variety, over a long period of time, if these players can only play a couple times a week at the same time, they will frequently see a different time of day adding to player variety.

Then you have players who prefer day, their days would be longer so they get more of what they want, same for players who like to play at night.

While I completely understand why a player would like to see a full day/night rotation in one play session, I think we need to consider all types of gamers. There are players who would prefer to only play at night and those that would prefer to only play during the day. The longer day and nights would cater to them. There are a LOT of players who spend +4 hours a day in Tamriel.

And a 10 hour day wouldn't be 5 hours complete dark , 5 hours complete day. It would be a gradient. So we would have like... 4 hours of straight day, 4 hours of straight night with an hour of dusk and dawn in between. If ZOS did the variable day/night we would see during the summer solstice more like 5 hours day, 3 hours night with an hour of dusk and dawn... to me that seems like a really reasonable amount of time. People who only play 2 hours would, many times, end up playing during a transition period from day to dusk or night to dawn... I think it would be nice for those players... but that' just my own personal opinion. I'm sure other opinions differ.

While you can't make everyone happy by giving everyone what they want think a 10 hour day cycle would offer the most options for all players and for ZOS in terms of creating a living Tamriel, something I personally believe is sorely missing from ESO.

The reason it took me a while to write this up is I took a few days to go into ESO at the same time every day, but I kept missing a day because of scheduling conflicts so I wasn't sure if every day a the same time would be the same time of day in Tamriel. Only after I got confirmation of what I was seeing from @Nestor did I feel like I could make this suggestion with confidence. Of course, I do agree with @Nestor that it could be a shorter day... as long as it isn't a factor of 24.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    What I do not like with such long days is, that casual players, who play just 1 or 2 hours and maybe not even per day but just on a few days per week might encounter day/night and it will be so for all of the game time on this day. So basically if they catch a time which is not really after their liking, they can forget to play at this specific day, just because the Tamriel day is too long. This can already happen with the current system, but in would be even more likely with a longer day/night cycle.

I have a couple of friends in ESO, who are like this - I see them playing for like 2 hours twice a week - and those might be really f***ed with such a longer day/night cycle - and the chance would be high that they encounter this every week - what ruins basically 50% of the available time for gaming.

I tried to consider this type of player @Lysette, Lets say your friend plays 2 hours on Monday and it's right smack in the middle of the day. and then plays 2 hours on Wednesday, it would be in the middle of the night. While individual play sessions wouldn't see a lot of variety, over a long period of time, if these players can only play a couple times a week at the same time, they will frequently see a different time of day adding to player variety.

Then you have players who prefer day, their days would be longer so they get more of what they want, same for players who like to play at night.

While I completely understand why a player would like to see a full day/night rotation in one play session, I think we need to consider all types of gamers. There are players who would prefer to only play at night and those that would prefer to only play during the day. The longer day and nights would cater to them. There are a LOT of players who spend +4 hours a day in Tamriel.

And a 10 hour day wouldn't be 5 hours complete dark , 5 hours complete day. It would be a gradient. So we would have like... 4 hours of straight day, 4 hours of straight night with an hour of dusk and dawn in between. If ZOS did the variable day/night we would see during the summer solstice more like 5 hours day, 3 hours night with an hour of dusk and dawn... to me that seems like a really reasonable amount of time. People who only play 2 hours would, many times, end up playing during a transition period from day to dusk or night to dawn... I think it would be nice for those players... but that' just my own personal opinion. I'm sure other opinions differ.

While you can't make everyone happy by giving everyone what they want think a 10 hour day cycle would offer the most options for all players and for ZOS in terms of creating a living Tamriel, something I personally believe is sorely missing from ESO.

The reason it took me a while to write this up is I took a few days to go into ESO at the same time every day, but I kept missing a day because of scheduling conflicts so I wasn't sure if every day a the same time would be the same time of day in Tamriel. Only after I got confirmation of what I was seeing from @Nestor did I feel like I could make this suggestion with confidence. Of course, I do agree with @Nestor that it could be a shorter day... as long as it isn't a factor of 24.

Well what i suggested would work as well - with 45 minutes daylight and 30 minutes night - of course it would be a much shorter night, but it would be night again 45 minutes later. In TES single player games the time scale was set to 30, what was about 50% faster even than what I suggested.

So if someone plays just for 1-2 hours, he will for certain have some time at day light and most likely even a full day. And this at any given time where he might want to play. Someone who plays for 5 hours will experience 4 days - he plays longer and it feels longer, because he goes through 4 full days in game. I think that is much fairer than longer day/night cycles.

Edit: Most people do not even have 40 hours/month to spend on gaming, if they have a job and a family. To cater for people who play 100+ hours per month or maybe even 200/300+ is not realistic when you have a mature audience, with people who tend to have a career and family.
    Edited by Lysette on February 18, 2016 12:29AM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well what i suggested would work as well - with 45 minutes daylight and 30 minutes night - of course it would be a much shorter night, but it would be night again 45 minutes later. In TES single player games the time scale was set to 30, what was about 50% faster even than what I suggested.

So if someone plays just for 1-2 hours, he will for certain have some time at day light and most likely even a full day. And this at any given time where he might want to play. Someone who plays for 5 hours will experience 4 days - he plays longer and it feels longer, because he goes through 4 full days in game. I think that is much fairer than longer day/night cycles.

Except such a short day takes none of the other aspects of day/night into consideration.

The establishing of a calendar so that scheduling events is meaningful. An RP group that hosts a wedding would have their wedding take more than a full day... a "night party" could only last 30 minutes.

Players would spend more than an entire day organizing their inventory and crafting with such a short day.

Forget making holidays lasting 1 day in ESO. There would be SO many players would just.. miss it.

Making night gameplay different than day gameplay wouldn't be meaningful because night would be too short to make a difference in the gameplay of night. You can't a mission that only occurs at night if night is only half an hour.

Players like @Ra'Shtar who likes to take screenshots would have more of that "Golden Hour" with which to work... a 1.25 hour day would severely limit that "Golden Hour" to the point of literally lasting a couple of moments.

What you are suggesting would serve one purpose, and one purpose only: it would allow players who play only for a few hours to visually see day and night... sure players who play for a long time would experience multiple days but I think there is something to be said for playing through a "Long hard night"

My suggestion is to make day and night MUCH more than a visual "treat" for payers. It's to make the day and night meaningful aspect of ESO. This would then feed into many other systems and lead to many opportunities for both ZOS and the community. It's not just visual, it would help make day and night an actual aspect of gameplay.

I completely and fully understand why you would like such a short day... I have gotten frustrated when I play for a couple hours multiple days in a row and it's ALWAYS night... I get that frustration and I get that it would be cool to see a day night shift no matter how long I play.

It's not so much that I disagree with the concept of a short day being cool esthetically, it's that I feel like a longer day would have greater far reaching effects and opportunities for the community and the game as a whole.
    Edited by Gidorick on February 18, 2016 1:14AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except such a short day takes none of the other aspects of day/night into consideration.

The establishing of a calendar so that scheduling events is meaningful. An RP group that hosts a wedding would have their wedding take more than a full day... a "night party" could only last 30 minutes.

Players would spend more than an entire day organizing their inventory and crafting.

Forget making holidays lasting 1 day in ESO. SO many players would just.. miss it.

Making night gameplay different than day gameplay wouldn't be meaningful because night would be too short to make a difference in the atmosphere and gameplay.

Players like @Ra'Shtar who likes to take screenshots would have more of that "Golden Hour" with which to work... a 1.25 hour day would severely limit that "Golden Hour" to the point of literally lasting a couple of moments.

What you are suggesting would serve one purpose... and one purpose only it would allow players who play only for a few hours to visually see day and night... sure players who play for a long time would experience multiple days but I think there is something to be said for playing through a "Long hard night"

My suggestion is to make day and night MUCH more than a visual "treat" for payers. It's to make the day and night meaningful to gameplay and to players. That meaningfulness would feed into many other systems and lead to many opportunities for both ZOS and the community. It's not just visual, it would help make day and night an actual aspect of gameplay.

I completely and fully understand why you would like such a short day... I have gotten frustrated when I play for a couple hours multiple days in a row and it's ALWAYS night... I get that frustration and I get that it would be cool to see a day night shift no matter how long I play.

It's not so much that I disagree with the concept of a short day being cool esthetically, it's that I feel like a longer day would have greater far reaching effects and opportunities for the community and the game as a whole.

I personally agree with you, but I am a person with a lot of spare time throughout the day/night, because my work does not require my permanent attention even it has in total by far more hours than any "normal" job. So I can put in a lot of hours, which others cannot, and for me your suggestion would be fine - for me personally that is.

But I am thinking as well about normal family guys, who are for like 10-12 hours away from home (at work or in transit), sleep for 7-8 hours (if they are lucky and not on baby care all night long), run errands for like 1 hour and have to spend time with their family and spouse as well, if they want their relationship to last. If those can afford to have 1-2 hours for themselves and play a game, they are really lucky guys, because this is often not possible at all, especially not with younger kids and a demanding career, which requires over hours or work at home. To spend more hours on gaming, will cause trouble with their spouse, which then again would take more time to quarrel and find solutions - that is what I see as well with my suggestion.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit: Most people do not even have 40 hours/month to spend on gaming, if they have a job and a family. To cater for people who play 100+ hours per month or maybe even 200/300+ is not realistic when you have a mature audience, with people who tend to have a career and family.

Catering exclusively to any one group of players is never a good thing. a 10 hour day concept considers those who can't play for long periods of time by having a full day and night cycle shift occur every 5 days so that each time the player is in game they will be treated to a different time of day. It also takes RP events into consideration. It takes day players into consideration as well as night players... it could lead to more robust werewolf and vampire systems, taking those payers into consideration. It would allow players to very deliberately play during specific times of day if they so choose to do.

A 1.25 hour day just wouldn't do any of these things.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Catering exclusively to any one group of players is never a good thing. a 10 hour day concept considers those who can't play for long periods of time by having a full day and night cycle shift occur every 5 days so that each time the player is in game they will be treated to a different time of day. It also takes RP events into consideration. It takes day players into consideration as well as night players... it could lead to more robust werewolf and vampire systems, taking those payers into consideration. It would allow players to very deliberately play during specific times of day if they so choose to do.

True, but people had days with 48 minutes in Skyrim and Oblivion and did you see a lot complaining about it? This is not without a reason set to a factor of 30 - I think this was chosen, because a lot of people have just 1-2 hours to play - and Bethesda made this time scale to cater to this "normal" gaming behavior.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Players would spend more than an entire day organizing their inventory and crafting.

Forget making holidays lasting 1 day in ESO. SO many players would just.. miss it.

Making night gameplay different than day gameplay wouldn't be meaningful because night would be too short to make a difference in the atmosphere and gameplay.

What you are suggesting would serve one purpose... and one purpose only it would allow players who play only for a few hours to visually see day and night... sure players who play for a long time would experience multiple days but I think there is something to be said for playing through a "Long hard night"

My suggestion is to make day and night MUCH more than a visual "treat" for payers. It's to make the day and night meaningful to gameplay and to players. That meaningfulness would feed into many other systems and lead to many opportunities for both ZOS and the community. It's not just visual, it would help make day and night an actual aspect of gameplay.

I personally agree with you, but I am a person with a lot of spare time throughout the day/night, because my work does not require my permanent attention even it has in total by far more hours than any "normal" job. So I can put in a lot of hours, which others cannot, and for me your suggestion would be fine - for me personally that is.

But I am thinking as well about normal family guys, who are for like 10-12 hours away from home (at work or in transit), sleep for 7-8 hours (if they are lucky and not on baby care all night long), run errands for like 1 hour and have to spend time with their family and spouse as well, if they want their relationship to last. If those can afford to have 1-2 hours for themselves and play a game, they are really lucky guys, because this is often not possible at all, especially not with younger kids and a demanding career, which requires over hours or work at home. To spend more hours on gaming, will cause trouble with their spouse, which then again would take more time to quarrel and find solutions - that is what I see as well with my suggestion.

heh.. it's funny because the player you are taking into consideration is the kind of player I am. I am away from my computer a lot and I'm on the forums frequently because I'm not somewhere I can play (phone forum access FTW!!). I only play a few times a week and when I do it's only for a couple hours each time.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True, but people had days with 48 minutes in Skyrim and Oblivion and did you see a lot complaining about it? This is not without a reason set to a factor of 30 - I think this was chosen, because a lot of people have just 1-2 hours to play - and Bethesda made this time scale to cater to this "normal" gaming behavior.

well, in the core TES games when you leave the game, time stops. This doesn't happen in ESO.

Also, there were plenty of people that didn't like the timescale in the TES games... and it's something a player can change VERY easily. It's not something that you can really complain about when you can just alter it to your liking using a simple console command.

Still... here is a Google search to see that people wanted longer days...
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=skyrim+should+have+longer+days
    Edited by Gidorick on February 18, 2016 1:33AM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

heh.. it's funny because the player you are taking into consideration is the kind of player I am. I am away from my computer a lot and I'm on the forums frequently because I'm not somewhere I can play (phone forum access FTW!!). I only play a few times a week and when I do it's only for a couple hours each time.

To me it is a couple of hours every day - but it is 30 minutes here, 20 minutes there - on and off basically, what is ok, when I play all 8 characters, so each of them gets like 20-40 minutes - what sums up to 4 hours then. You see, it's funny too, because I am kind of that 4 hours person, which you described, but i do not have the time in one chunk, but it comes in many smaller chunks and it's unpredictable, when I will have time. :smiley:
  • N0TPLAYER2
    N0TPLAYER2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally disagree. Hate when it's dark as it is. Completely dumb to have such a nice looking game and then ruin it by having it be dark half the time.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well, in the core TES games when you leave the game, time stops. This doesn't happen in ESO.

Also, there were plenty of people that didn't like the timescale in the TES games... and it's something a player can change VERY easily. It's not something that you can really complain about when you can just alter it to your liking using a simple console command.

Still... here is a Google search to see that people wanted longer days...
    https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=skyrim+should+have+longer+days

I know that as well, because I am that kind of person which sets time scale to 10 - 3 times longer day/nights than in vanilla - because I have a lot more to do with my mods, because crafting and enchanting stuff is not available in stores, so i have to hunt, mine and delve into ruins to get my crafting stuff and on top of it I play Climates of Tamriel winter edition with Frostfall, cold and freezing weather is my worst enemy in Skyrim - it was a terrible idea by Bethesda, to make crafting stuff available in stores, the whole point of adventuring to get this stuff is lost, if you can just buy it from a store. And even worse was, that the best gear in game can be crafted by yourself - so the whole point of adventuring to get better gear was lost as well.

Edit: Hm, iirc Xbox and play station did neither have a console nor mods - so they were stuck with it.
    Edited by Lysette on February 18, 2016 2:00AM
  • Altaire
    Altaire
    ✭✭✭
    I support a longer equal day/night cycle.
    I find night hunts much more enjoyable, wish they could add night spawns.