Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Can't craft learned trait?

zeus1gdsm
zeus1gdsm
✭✭
So I'm trying to craft items with critical % boost. I have the trait learned. I have the gems. But when I go to craft it it won't let me choose it..... I tried high and low level ores as well as 3 different weapons I have the trait for....

Am I missing something?
  • Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you research the trait on the right weapon? E.g. Precise on Axes instead of Swords.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember you need to research the trait on each weapon type,
    meaning
    Axes
    maces
    swords
    Greataxes
    mauls
    greatswords
    Daggers

If you have a trait researched for swords only you cannot make anything other than swords with that trait..

Hope this helps
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you at one of the 'set' crafting stations? The 'set' crafting station require you to know more then just one trait to craft the item. Try a crafting station in town, see if it works then.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zeus1gdsm wrote: »
    So I'm trying to craft items with critical % boost. I have the trait learned. I have the gems. But when I go to craft it it won't let me choose it..... I tried high and low level ores as well as 3 different weapons I have the trait for....

Am I missing something?

in case you mean on armor, there is the same trait on heavy, medium and light, you have to learn it on the correct armor and then also you have to learn it on the correct armor part.

weapon I am not sure, but might be also, did you learn the trait from the weapon type that you want to craft now?

it does not work like that, that you just learn it once and then can craft any weapon with that trait
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    Are you at one of the 'set' crafting stations? The 'set' crafting station require you to know more then just one trait to craft the item. Try a crafting station in town, see if it works then.

Even the Set Crafting stations let you make normal gear. Something to be careful with as people do make normal stuff by accident at a Set Crafting station.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ackwalan wrote: »

Even the Set Crafting stations let you make normal gear. Something to be careful with as people do make normal stuff by accident at a Set Crafting station.

This pain is super real. (goodbye 130 ancestor silks...) But it only takes one effup to make sure it never happens again!
    Xerasia - Bosmer Magicka Templar | NA EP
    Galasha - Orc Stamina Dragonknight | NA EP
    Haileigha - Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | NA EP
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • zeus1gdsm
    zeus1gdsm
    ✭✭
    Nope trying to make a sword with the precise trait. Regular old sword.. When I go to research traits it shows I have alrdy learned it for swords axes and great swords. Yet I cannot make even a lvl 5 sword with the trait. It is red'ed out
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do you have the proper trait stone to make the item. I think precise trait is Ruby? In order to craft an item with a trait, you have to have the appropriate trait stone, in addition to the materials and style stone.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 16, 2016 7:40PM
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    This may be crazy but...
    The precise stone is the same red as the "research this trait" red - it catches me sometimes too when I'm crafting and I'm like I KNOW THIS TRAIT - oh. Does it tell you to research it below the stone? Have you actually tried to select it and craft it and it's saying you can't? If you're just looking at the color of the stone and it doesn't say to research it then you're all good. If it doesn't say to research it yet you still can't craft it when you try to then it sounds like you're glitched.
    Edited by xerasia on February 16, 2016 9:23PM
    Zaxaria - lvl 21 Argonian I don't even know what to do with this one Nightblade | NA EP
  • zeus1gdsm
    zeus1gdsm
    ✭✭
    Alright... On Ps4... Doing a test... I have precise, infused, sharpened and weighted known and highlighted under the improvement screen... Powered says research-based as I have an item with it.. And the rest say unknown and are grayed out. checking at two crafting stations now
  • zeus1gdsm
    zeus1gdsm
    ✭✭
    Alright so.... Weird..... Couldn't craft it.... Switched toons... Then went back to original toon and suddenly it was Craftable..... Very odd indeed.

Well at least I have critical boosting greatsword now... Thanks all for Helping!
  • xerasia
    xerasia
    ✭✭✭
    Hooray! Glad it worked out. Go forth and destroy with much crit.
  • zeus1gdsm
    zeus1gdsm
    ✭✭
    Thank you... Fiddling with a critical healing storm sorc dual weird or greatsword build.