Is Heavy Armor Viable for Vet Maelstrom Arena?

Stelo
Stelo
or will it become a DPS race? I'm a Stam DK and I honestly don't know any other way to beat it other than stack your DoTs while keeping your Vigor/Rally up OR stack up on the damage.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There would be no benefit to wearing heavy in Maelstrom.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

Options
  • dlepi24
    dlepi24
    ✭✭✭✭
    No benefit to running heavy at all in this game. If you want to feel tanky just add impen to your medium armor and a few CP's as well.
    Options
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dlepi24 wrote: »
    No benefit to running heavy at all in this game. If you want to feel tanky just add impen to your medium armor and a few CP's as well.

I think impen is useless in PvE.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Why would you suggest that someone run impen in maelstrom? That would be even worse than wearing heavy.

Options
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    On some stages heavy armour provides an easy run and is less risky when you go for a nodeath run, but on all stages that have a dps check you'll have a hard time using heavy armour.
    Options
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    flFgB.gif
    Options
  • yake82
    yake82
    ✭✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »

Yeah, NPCs never crit. Maybe he meant reinforced medium armor.
    Options
  • Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct in your assessment, being tanky really doesn't benefit you at all in MSA with the exception of maybe the 5th boss. Every other arena is pretty much a dps race due to timer based spawns, so stacking damage will always be more useful than damage resistance in those cases.
    Options
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This makes me sad. I've worn heavy since I started playing, largely because I like the look of it. But I'm seriously considering changing to medium.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
    Options
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yake82 wrote: »

I always thought this is unfair for those poor NPCs. Wonder what would happen if they could crit.
    Options
  • Zerok
    Zerok
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is hypothetical, but you could try using 5 heavy, 1 medium, 1 light for the undaunted passives.

The traits on each piece should be DPS traits (infused/divines).

The mundus stone would be either regen (serpent) or DPS (thief). I think regen would be better though to compensate for the lack of resources regen from medium.

Overall, you would make less DPS than going with medium armor, but you would have higher damage mitigation.

I don't know if it would work, but that's how I would try this.
    Zeerok (the sneaky ruffian) - LV50 Bosmer stamblade DPS (AD)
    Gontrand de Bourbon (the greedy aristocrat) - LV50 Breton magsorc tank (DC)
    Augustus Aquilarios (the imperial claimant) - LV50 Imperial stamDK PvP (EP)
    Zeerokk (the AD zealot) - LV50 Altmer magblade PvP (AD)
    Lianna Storm (the inferno maiden) - LV50 Dunmer magDK DPS (EP)
    Fights-With-Khajiit (the gullible faithful) - LV5 Argonian templar (EP)
    Miner'va (the skooma addict) - LV3 Khajiit sorcerer (AD) - chaotic neutral
    Siggy Thorvaldsson (the charismatic baroness) - LV50 Nord stamwarden tank (DC)
    Options
  • Howl
    Howl
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. I've tried to make it work, using numerous sets on my magicka DK, from full on heavy and lots of regen, to progressively less tanky components.

The bottom line is that you should go for max damage. Mobs die faster and your heals are better. I think vMA is THE shining example of how *** the skill/stat system in ESO is.

Also, you're on the clock so it doesn't make any sense to slow yourself down by lowering your dps.
    Options
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    On some stages heavy armour provides an easy run and is less risky when you go for a nodeath run, but on all stages that have a dps check you'll have a hard time using heavy armour.

I've heard this a few times and am confused.

Is it that heavy reduces your DPS output in some manner, or that light/medium have bonuses to DPS?

Can you please explain?
    Options
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heavy armor is useful for some stages but the best way you'd have to go about it is magicka DK so you can get the strong heals off burning embers.
    I've tried stam DK heavy armor and I've made it all the way to the 4th boss (engine guardian) and got wrecked after not being able to DPS fast enough while adds poured in.
    Edited by MaxwellC on February 9, 2016 3:24PM
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
    Options
  • Hope499
    Hope499
    ✭✭✭✭
    There would be no benefit to wearing heavy in Maelstrom EVER.

There we go.
    Tripped over my friends bra.....
    ..she is always setting booby traps!
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope499 wrote: »

There we go.

PvP healing in heavy is perfectly viable.

Options
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There we go.

Only for templars.
    Because I can!
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought this is unfair for those poor NPCs. Wonder what would happen if they could crit.

It would make a mess of tanking. Let's say a boss' normal hits will not one-shot a tank, but come close. If boss crits, that will definitely one-shot tank. You cannot have tanks, even when tank does everything right, getting killed every time boss crits. So you have to make it where even a boss crit will not one-shot a good tank. But that means boss non-crits will be quite weak. Now you have made actually made boss weaker.

PvE encounters are based around a very precisely balanced mixture of taking enough damage to threaten tanks and push healers to keep tank health topped off, while not doing so much damage that even the best players cannot survive. Getting that balance right is made much harder by throwing in the randomness of critical chance on NPCs.
    Options
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

There we go.

Only for templars.

Right, so that proves your edit wrong. B)

Options
  • Shaggygaming
    Shaggygaming
    ✭✭✭
    Smitch_59 wrote: »

This makes me sad. I've worn heavy since I started playing, largely because I like the look of it. But I'm seriously considering changing to medium.

5 Medium / 1 Heavy / 1 Light - Make your chest heavy which gives you the look of heavy armor.
    Options
  • Atreust
    Atreust
    ✭✭
    munkt0r wrote: »

Is it that heavy reduces your DPS output in some manner, or that light/medium have bonuses to DPS?

Can you please explain?

Yep, light armor has passives that increase DPS for magicka builds, and medium has passives that increase DPS for stamina builds, whereas heavy armor passives only give you more armor and health.
    Options
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Atreust wrote: »

Can you please explain?

Yep, light armor has passives that increase DPS for magicka builds, and medium has passives that increase DPS for stamina builds, whereas heavy armor passives only give you more armor and health.

Gotcha, makes more sense now.

I wear full heavy because I made a tank. It's my first character, and i'm not looking to min-max and play the META, but I wanted to better understanding some of the upper tier player mentality, and why it exists.

End of the day, this game is no different than any RPG i've played. All playstyles/builds are viable unless you're looking to be top-tier. At that point you must create a munchkin build that is razor focused.

So thank you for clarifying.
    Options
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adonikam wrote: »

5 Medium / 1 Heavy / 1 Light - Make your chest heavy which gives you the look of heavy armor.

I'm thinking about 5 Medium/2 Heavy since I haven't done anything with the Undaunted skills. That way I could make the chest and helmet heavy.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you please explain?

Just look at the Passives for each armor line
    Medium and light offer crit chance and such and just as important regen and cost reduction. Heavy offers very little.

With the benefits of medium and heavy armor a player can focus on set bonus that increases damage and most builds can disregard regen.

With heavy armor a player would need regen in their set bonus leaving little going towards increasing damage. Hence heavy armor equals weak sauce dps.

Options
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

It would make a mess of tanking. Let's say a boss' normal hits will not one-shot a tank, but come close. If boss crits, that will definitely one-shot tank. You cannot have tanks, even when tank does everything right, getting killed every time boss crits. So you have to make it where even a boss crit will not one-shot a good tank. But that means boss non-crits will be quite weak. Now you have made actually made boss weaker.

PvE encounters are based around a very precisely balanced mixture of taking enough damage to threaten tanks and push healers to keep tank health topped off, while not doing so much damage that even the best players cannot survive. Getting that balance right is made much harder by throwing in the randomness of critical chance on NPCs.

I agree, but when you think about it from perspective of NPCs, that's exactly what they are dealing with. :)
    Options
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you please explain?

Light/Medium have bonuses to DPS and resource management. Every piece of Light Armor reduces cost of spell, increases rate that you regenerate magicka, and wearing 5 light gives a bonus to spell critical chance and how much of enemy spell resistance you can break through. Every piece of Medium Armor reduces cost of stamina abilities, increases rate that you regenerate stamina, increases your weapon critical chance, and wearing 5 medium gives a bonus to weapon damage.

Heavy Armor has nothing like that. Heavy Armor is designed to get hit really hard without getting you killed. But it is poor at letting you kill things. And in VMA, you need to kill things, often quickly because you can get overwhelmed if you do not take out enemies fast enough. Also, Light Armor and magicka are probably best for VMA because, even if you do not have best damage mitigation like Heavy Armor, you have excellent access to magical damage shields and wards, self-healing, utility spells, buffs, etc.
    Options
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you please explain?

Light- and medium both gives bonuses to dmg and sustain. To a certain degree even survivability. Light gives more crits so stronger healing. Medium gives cheaper cc break&dodge and more weapon power = better Vigor and Rally.

That's what you need in Veteran Arena.

Unlike normal your resources wont restore in-between stages, so you might start one at like 2% magicka and potion on cooldown and rip. Even in 5 medium or light you might die because you didn't pay attention to stamina and magicka pool. So doing it in heavy, with less dmg and less sustain, would be hell.

For sure some less dps heavy stages can be done in heavy if you're near the CP cap, good player and know the arena inside out, but will be way harder.
    Options
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »

Can you please explain?

Light- and medium both gives bonuses to dmg and sustain. To a certain degree even survivability. Light gives more crits so stronger healing. Medium gives cheaper cc break&dodge and more weapon power = better Vigor and Rally.

That's what you need in Veteran Arena.

Unlike normal your resources wont restore in-between stages, so you might start one at like 2% magicka and potion on cooldown and rip. Even in 5 medium or light you might die because you didn't pay attention to stamina and magicka pool. So doing it in heavy, with less dmg and less sustain, would be hell.

For sure some less dps heavy stages can be done in heavy if you're near the CP cap, good player and know the arena inside out, but will be way harder.

Thanks for the in-depth explanation.

Sounds like top-tier end-game super sweaty game mode.

Not my style anyways =)

I don't need to be the best, I just play for fun - this game isn't worth that level of effort haha.
    Options
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There would be no benefit to wearing heavy in Maelstrom.

Well already made coffin to bury you in?
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you like the look, go 2 Heavy (Chest and Legs) and the rest Medium. It you will get most of the Heavy Look. Just note, some Heavy Chest pieces like Redguard, really need the Redguard Shoulders so keep that in mind as you choose a style.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options