Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Sharpened or Precise on 2 Swords?

BIGSACOFFUN
does anyone have input on which is better

im a magika night blade with like 40% crit should i get more crit to increase to 57-60% crit or get spell and armor pen

any insight would be good
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of people who have done the extreme nerd calculations on this, lol. Mostly pc players, who can have 3rd party mods that allow them to see exact numbers.

Sharpened deals more damage than precise

Nirnhoned deals more damage than either (esp for magika builds)

Additionally, if you're PVP-Ing, there are a lot of players who protect against critical hits. This erodes the effect of precise a bit. Additionally, consider that a crit buff only benefits you on a crit hit, where sharpened provides benefits on every hit. Of course, people also protect against sharpened by adding better armor, spending champions to have better resistance, etc, but in the long run I think sharpened is a better deal.

• cFos
    cFos
    So, if I understand the math-posts correctly, and while this may not be the appropriate forum for this quesiton, would it be best to dual wield with the main hand having the sharpened trait and the off hand having the precise trait? Assuming sharpened deals more damage (irrespective of nirnhoned)...?
  • cFos
    cFos
    Assuming you are dual wield - for the above post - not saying that one style is better/preferred - rather if already using dual wield.
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct answer is Nirnhoned on both.
  • cFos
    cFos
    I'm sure it is. One day, I do hope to have found(?) and researched Nirnhoned.
  • cFos
    cFos
    But today, is not that day.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cFos wrote: »
    I'm sure it is. One day, I do hope to have found(?) and researched Nirnhoned.

Start checking guild traders for Nirn weapons/armor at good prices. You only receive one piece of Nirn gear after finishing Upper Craglorn, so you're going to have to rely on other players anyway for the rest of your Nirn traits.
  • cFos
    cFos
    Thanks, Jayne. I've also read online that joining guilds is the way to go and I'm starting to branch out with joining guilds. For me, though, it's still going to take a heckofalotta time which is fine, too. 'till then, I'll stick with precise and sharpened, I guess.
  • cFos
    cFos
    Also, "good price" is relative. :) Currently running 4 characters and trying to offset "all crafting" from my primary character to the other 3 - to share the work and free up skill points for my primary, so much of my money is spent in bank space and bag space.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cFos wrote: »
    Thanks, Jayne. I've also read online that joining guilds is the way to go and I'm starting to branch out with joining guilds. For me, though, it's still going to take a heckofalotta time which is fine, too. 'till then, I'll stick with precise and sharpened, I guess.

I use 60% as a Critical Chance Target. If I can get there without putting Precise on my weapons I put Sharpened on them. Daggers, especially if your a NB, give a huge boost to Critical, and the Thief Stone gives a nice chunk too. There is no real reason to go above 60%, even 50% gives Crits more often than not.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• cFos
    cFos
    Thank you for the reply Nestor. I'll have to check where I'm at.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @cFos - if you are on EU PC server and have your own Materials i will gladly make your swords for you..

Look me up in game Johngo0036 is my username..
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• cFos
    cFos
    Thank you Johngo0036, I am on EU - If yobut Xbox One. Again, thanks for the offer.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are going to strive for Nirnhoned, and you have the gold, buy the items to research early and do the research as early as you can when it takes less time.

Better to be waiting on well-fitted or charged traits than nirnhoned when they take 30days a piece.