The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What's the latest on Spellcrafting?

Iselin
Iselin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
Haven't been following the twitch channel (or this forum for that matter) all that closely recently. Do we have a timeline on Spellcrafting yet?

It's the one thing I am personally most looking forward to.... more than housing or even Thieve's Guild or DB.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dominoid wrote: »
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Shame. It would have been a cool addition.

Neither of these is true. Confirmed to still be in the works by Eric Wrobel a few ESO lives ago.

Edit: It was ESO Live episode 21

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3byjuw/

From here: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/205822/spellcrafting-any-news-about-it-or-has-it-died
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest on any new content?

"Soon"
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • ralonasan
    ralonasan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hah...
    The ESO Forum Common Complaint Checklist: ☑
    ☐ Nerf/Buff Sorcerers.
    ☐ Nerf/Buff Nightblades.
    ☐ Nerf/Buff Dragonknights.
    ☐ Nerf/Buff Templars.
    ☐ THIS IS P2W!
    ☐ L2P n00b.
    ☐ Where is the LOL button??
    ☐ Fix PvP lag.
    ☐ LFG is full of scrubs.
    ☐ WHEN WILL YOU ADD CONSOLE TEXT CHAT?
    ☐ WHEN ARE ARENAS COMING?
    ☐ Natch Potes.
    ☐ Nerf Veteran Maelstrom Arena.
    ☐ Race Change ETA?
    ☐ Please add the Barber Shop!
    ☐ Why don't Trials scale?
    ☐ Working as intended.
    ☐ Why did you nerf/buff this?
    ☐ When will "thing" be added?
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yea how about ZOS fixes the skills that are in the game first then they can add all the spellcrafting.
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soon™
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iselin wrote: »
    Haven't been following the twitch channel (or this forum for that matter) all that closely recently. Do we have a timeline on Spellcrafting yet?

It's the one thing I am personally most looking forward to.... more than housing or even Thieve's Guild or DB.

I totally agree! spellcrafting is the No.1 of my wishlist + of course with removed AOE caps, with it, it has no sense. So first, Cyrodill lag should be fixed. Then we can get spellcrafting. I damn want those green lightning which that elf woman uses in the Tree Fates trailer! Jumping from target to target, chained lightning would kill 20 players at once. I would totally be for including like 10 new skill lines and many new skills. And then spellcrafting with awesome huge new spells!!

now!! :smiley:
    Edited by altemriel on December 31, 2015 6:57PM
  • Desommettor
    Desommettor
    ✭✭
    Spell crafting is only viable for solo games, it would break an mmo.
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It is more on the later/never side of SOON.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as they keep that crap out of PVP and fix the current skills they can bring it in tomorrow for all I care
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Spell crafting is only viable for solo games, it would break an mmo.

Yes because all skills should be handed to you on a silver platter with no effort required to get them :expressionless:
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The latest news and status update on spellcrafting:

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like you can make your own skills? Good luck balancing the game then.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one that thinks spellcrafting will completely dissolve what little balance is left in the force?

Happy New Years! :smile:
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »
    Like you can make your own skills? Good luck balancing the game then.

Little example from TES 2 Daggerfall:

- if your Destruction skill is over 100 (enchanted items from the item maker), then every Destruction spell costs only 5 Magicka (max 300 = 60 spells)
    - Daggerfall had a Destruction effect called Disintegrate where you could set a % of OHKO. The Higher you set that %, the more Magicka the spell would need to be fired (I think you know where I'm heading to)
    - Through the Spellmaker, I created a Disintegrate AoE spell (think Firestorm from Skyrim) with a 100% chance of OHKO
    - And thanks to my Magic Items, that spell (called it "Aura of Overkill"); firing that spell costed only 5 Magicka

And then there's the Spellmaker from Morrowind and Oblivion, where you could create OP spells like the Aura of Overkill as well.

Point being: if they added this feature to ESO... all Oblivion's gonna break loose

And I'm gonna act like a man... and hide under my bed with mah Teddybear Mr. Fluffbelly
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tryxus It sounds pretty balanced so far actually.

Lots of information has been datamined (https://m.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/2xpn39/data_mining_spellcrafting_what_is_it_and_what_are/) and some stuff such as UI, a few summoning spells and Ice Armor displayed a long time ago by Nick Konkle. Old ideas/code is definitely still there, but when Konkle left is was delayed.

Personally, I believe they will first balance the current skills with the Thieves Guild update, refine with the Dark Brotherhood, and then tease it again to be released sometime in late 2016. Absolutely not a trashed concept, just put on hold for now to fix major issues or imbalances. After all, those next two DLCs more than likely will add new skill lines, so ZOS may hopefully look to add spellcrafting sooner rather than later as well to add to the list.

If it's not already part of the game, expect news by late 2016 :-)

Just my thoughts. So much excitement!
  • DirtySmeegs33
    DirtySmeegs33
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_RichLambert
    It's in good hands. Don't worry.

(yes that is a tease... sorry hehe)
    2 messages August 19

That is a direct message from Rich Lambert this past August.
  • SmalltalkJava
    SmalltalkJava
    ✭✭✭
    An elder scrolls game without spellcrafting, just isn't an elder scrolls game.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many "spells" will be usable by "stamina"? Or will all spells be Magicka only?

The games already makes no sense with stamina "spells", and adding spellcrafting will either cause a huge imbalance between stamina and Magicka, or make the game even more nonsensical with stamina based fireballs.
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    An elder scrolls game without spellcrafting, just isn't an elder scrolls game.

I feel the same way... hated that it totally went away in Skyrim.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @danno8
    They're called stamina "abilities", not spells. You can see this on the descriptions for cost reduction glyphs.
    Glyph of Reduce Spell Cost: Reduce Magicka cost of spells by x%
    Glyph of Reduce Feat Cost: Reduce Stamina cost of abilities by x%

Apparently they have some other thing planned for Stamina abilities as well. Who knows how that would work though. Nick Konkle mentioned this when he presented spellcrafting.
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll believe it's coming when it happens. I'm not holding my breathe.

Even if it is coming, I'm not overly impressed with being told something is in the works and then waiting two years for it to happen.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doncellius wrote: »
    @danno8
    They're called stamina "abilities", not spells. You can see this on the descriptions for cost reduction glyphs.

They can call them whatever they wish. Breathing fire (Burning Breath) and summoning an Aedric Spear (Biting Jabs) are clearly magical in execution and are only in the game because of a lack of vision for what stamina would be like at launch.

That said, I am glad they will limit spell-crafting to magicka only, but I do wonder just how fleshed out the secret stamina counterpart will be.

I really hope they keep the stamina "abilities" more physical in theme, since this is an opportunity to do it right from the start.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @danno8

I hate the stamina abilities being called spells, although you are right about some stamina morphs being purely magicka based by their animations.

Hopefully they add new weapon swinging animations. I'd be dumbfounded if they stick to only spellcrafting in the future though. Would give magicka hundreds of different viable builds, but stamina characters comparitively close to nothing. Only time will tell! I'm pretty optimistic about the future of ESO though.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If they do add any of this spell crafting, I hope it's limited to only pve and stays out of PvP.
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Q4 2016 is my guess, I think Housing is coming after Dark Brotherhood, Thief is before it. So whats the last quarter DLC of 2016, is still a mystery to me.
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    If they do add any of this spell crafting, I hope it's limited to only pve and stays out of PvP.

I think exactly the opposite. People would whine less, if they just can do whatever they want. I think Spell Crafting should open everything for all classes.
    Edited by Sausage on January 1, 2016 7:12AM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DannyLV702 The week spell crafting is introduced into PvP is the week you will finally see new viable builds emerge. Sounds great to me. The fall of the cookie cutter builds. Wanna be a frost mage and not suck? Now you can!
  • shugg
    shugg
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm inner beast aoe taunt , drool hope with this i can finally make me nb necromacer tank ( or just a blood death knight)

But i would expect this Q4 or 2017 , hope they take there time so it won't break the game