Fishing Tips

ForestVampire
ForestVampire
Soul Shriven
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone had any fishing tips? I'm trying to get the fishing achievements for every town but at best I only catch one rare fish.
  • schwarzman1
    schwarzman1
    ✭✭✭
    best tips I can provide is to use the right bait for the water type and fish with friends.

E2CtOzQ.png
    PS4 NA AD
    PSN: schwarzman1
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, use the correct bait for the water you are fishing in and you get a fish every time.

To get more rare fish, fish with friends or others. I was doing an event with our guild where we have Fishing nights and there were about 6 or 8 of us at one fishing spot. I would pull a Blue at each hole along with a few greens. Of course I would only get 3 fish out of hole doing this, but they were almost always rare.
    Edited by Nestor on December 18, 2015 11:41PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    best tips I can provide is to use the right bait for the water type and fish with friends.

E2CtOzQ.png

Yeah, @ForestVampire the pic schwarzman1 shared shows the right bait and also the common fish caught for each water type.

For Ocean, worms and chub are the right type of bait to use and the common ocean fish caught are longfin, dhufish, and minnow. Note that one of three common fish for each water type can actually be used as bait for one of the other water types. For ocean, that would be the minnow, which you can use for bait in lake fishing holes. The two non-bait common fish you catch (longfin and dhufish for oceans) can be filleted to acquire the generic provisioning ingredient "fish" and may also yield perfect roe, which can be used for certain valuable recipes or sold to other players.

Knowing what the common fish are for each water type is as important as knowing the right bait to use because it tells you what kind of fishing hole you've found when you reel your first fish in. If you are using the wrong type of bait you will often get back worthless "used bait". Sometimes it may seem obvious what water type a fishing hole is but it can be tricky. Small streams with waterfalls are usually safe bets for river sites, and the beach is a safe bet for ocean. But a stream or river flowing into a lake or ocean may in fact have lake or ocean sites. Foul water is stagnant and/or has dead bodies nearby. If corpses are lying around (or zombies are lurching around) near water with a fishing hole, it is going to be foul water.

Some zones may only have a couple of places where a particular water type may be found, so if you are searching the whole map and don't see a river site or ocean site or what have you, hop onto your favorite search engine. Players have put up crude maps of where hard to find water types can be found in different zones.

Lastly, the basic pattern for water types and rare fish is this: 4 water types (river, lake, ocean, foul) per each zone, with one rare blue and two rare greens per water type, for a total of 4 blues and 8 greens per zone.

However, some zones are completely lacking one of the water types. In that case the "extra" two greens and blue are distributed to the remaining three types: two of the three water types will get an "extra" green and one will get an "extra" blue. To help you keep track of this, and which fish you've already caught in each zone, I strongly recommend using the Rare Fish Tracker add-on if you are on PC. If not, I would find and print out a list of blue and green rares by zone and water type and cross of the fish as you find them.

Good luck!
    Edited by tinythinker on December 19, 2015 3:50PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Here's a link to everything fishing in ESO.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)