The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Campaign Performance

• Zaldan
    Zaldan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Cyrodiil the answer is simply that it's one zone and if anything floods the server with requests from that zone, regardless of where it occurred in the zone, will effect the entire zone. There may have been a battle at Alessia bridge, but it could effect what happens at Fort Warden.
    Campaigns consist of Cyrodiil, IC, the Sewers, Cathedral, and all 18 delves when considering population of a Campaign. Imperial Prison and WGT are not included in the cap as they are separate PVE instances.

The Campaign zones don't get separated into their own population capped areas because of queue'ing just like you're saying. Once you're in your Campaign, you're in, as opposed to having to Queue for each individual thing attached to Cyrodiil.

but surely sharing population only makes sense in a gated campaign otherwise nothing you do in cyrodiil make the slightest difference to IC but does reduce the amount of players an alliance can have fighting for the campaign in cyrodiil. Either separate the populations or gate all campaigns.

ps. when are you going to fix instant death fall damage in cyrodiil caused by abilities with knockback despite falling less than a few feet?
    Edited by Zaldan on January 9, 2016 10:14PM
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.
    Niidro tiid wah fusvok dirkah.

aka.@Cuthceol
  • Dissentinel
    Dissentinel
    ✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler We know the pop caps for Cyrodiil have been adjusted up and down as you've implemented different measures to alleviate lag; is the value on this article of 1800 players per campaign, whch would be 600 per alliance, still accurate?

Definitely not accurate. When I first started playing on Azura's Star a few days after the campaign started recently, I was ranked lower than 600. 658 or something like that.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler We know the pop caps for Cyrodiil have been adjusted up and down as you've implemented different measures to alleviate lag; is the value on this article of 1800 players per campaign, whch would be 600 per alliance, still accurate?
    Definitely not accurate. When I first started playing on Azura's Star a few days after the campaign started recently, I was ranked lower than 600. 658 or something like that.
    @Dissentinel The pop cap only limits number of people in Cyrodiil at one time, not the total number of players that can be assigned to a campaign (which is what you see on the leaderboards).
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Dissentinel
    Dissentinel
    ✭✭✭
    @Dissentinel The pop cap only limits number of people in Cyrodiil at one time, not the total number of players that can be assigned to a campaign (which is what you see on the leaderboards).

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure which you were talking about.
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have some adjustments coming to the ability system in terms of how it handles requirements, cost evaluations, and some further optimizations on the server with handling temporary storage of these messages. These changes however are far reaching into the combat system at it's roots, and is taking a bit longer to do as it takes a combination of server work and data changes.

I was told last night about a system that will queue your AoE abilities if to many are spammed in a short amount of time by a group.

The example they gave was Steel Tornado: Two groups of 24 smash into each other spamming Steel Tornado at around the 20th or so Steel Tornado the server would stop calculating damage on it and queue it; making it effectively useless for an AoE because it would only cast 1 Steel Tornado per person when it reached them in the queue, no matter if the person spammed it 100 times before it reached them. However, if said person used Impluse for example, their AoE would go off all the time without a problem, due to it being one of a few impulses being used.

In a nutshell, it would force group players to have to use all forms of AoE to do damage instead of just one ability. If they all use one ability they run the risk of doing hardly any AoE damage to players.

Is this what you mean by "storage of messages"?
    Edited by Psilent on January 10, 2016 3:25PM
  • MountainHound
    MountainHound
    ✭✭✭✭
    Campaigns consist of Cyrodiil, IC, the Sewers, Cathedral, and all 18 delves when considering population of a Campaign. Imperial Prison and WGT are not included in the cap as they are separate PVE instances.

The Campaign zones don't get separated into their own population capped areas because of queue'ing just like you're saying. Once you're in your Campaign, you're in, as opposed to having to Queue for each individual thing attached to Cyrodiil.

This is wrong on so many levels and is what mkes PVP [snip].

The Cyrodiil Population + IC + the sewer's population should be completely separate. Factions use to get low population bonuses when they were too far behind but this thought process means 2 bars can now be in the sewer which contributes to the manipulation and pointlessness of the score / people defending the keep.

I would be more angry but the rewards in PVP are so dog [snip] the score boards mean nothing.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Cursing & Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_KaeylaW on January 18, 2016 4:23AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The problem is that there's nothing that ties Cyrodiil and IC together besides the location of IC.

It would be logical to combine the populations if there was an Alliance benefit for holding IC district or something along those lines.

At this point, players that go into IC are basically punishing their alliance because they raise the population but dont do anything in Cyrodiil, same goes for cave delvers to a certain extend but thats a smaller problem.

If a campaign is pop-locked and one 24-man raid is running around in the IC sewers that alliance has a disadvantage the size of one 24-man raid.

IC is usually pretty quiet (speaking from an EU standpoint) so it would also be an improvement to IC if those players were merged into the same campaign.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Campaign Performance Update - January, 14 2015
    Performance: Still awful
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • xXNesTXx
    xXNesTXx
    ✭✭✭
    The first improve is solve the lag problems....without that, all incoming improvements are useless

But anyways....the first improve, is decrease or directly remove the low population bonuses, are totally unfair right now
    EU PS4 Ebonheart Pact

NB Stam VR16 Breton
    NB Stam VR16 Khajiit
    NB Mag VR16 Breton
    Templar Mag VR16 Nord
    Sorc Mag VR8 High Elf
    DK Stam VR10 Red Guard
  • Necronhex
    Necronhex
    ✭✭✭
    Until I see results these are just words
    Necron Hex
    Have you not heard of the Dark Brotherhood? Of the remorseless guild of paid assassins and homicidal cutthroats? Join us and you'll find the Dark Brotherhood all that and so much more. We are more than anything a union of like minded individuals.
    Lucien Lachance
  • themdogesbite
    themdogesbite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point i will even settle for a bareable state of performance, just make it better then now.. please?
    :]
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler

If you can recognize BWB performs better than AS because players are less capable of lagging the server, why do you not adjust VR Alliance War gameplay so we are less able to lag the server on VR campaigns?

The performance issues in Cyrodiil can be viewed both as a server issue and a gameplay design issue. You can solve it by fixing either. Because improving server performance is very technically challenging, PLEASE consider adjusting VR gameplay until the server can handle the game you have designed.

IMO, the main issue with Alliance War performance is the gameplay design. I believe improved server performance has and will continue to result in larger zergs.

Something needs to be done now. AS is pure garbage every night.
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    The next incremental patch will have some changes to underlying combat resolutions to speed up calculations on the server, but also some changes to how abilities check their cost per cast. We found many abilities were evaluating their costs when they didn't need to, so we're fixing that.

There are some changes to how abilities are structured coming in the Thieves Guild patch itself. These changes don't effect the ability functionality on the player or their effects against other players, but how the server handles the process of the abilities themselves.

Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next incremental patch will have some changes to underlying combat resolutions to speed up calculations on the server, but also some changes to how abilities check their cost per cast. We found many abilities were evaluating their costs when they didn't need to, so we're fixing that.

There are some changes to how abilities are structured coming in the Thieves Guild patch itself. These changes don't effect the ability functionality on the player or their effects against other players, but how the server handles the process of the abilities themselves.

Have you found in what's causing the fps issue as well?
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »

It seems that they talk only about ping problem forgetting about fps problem.
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    Would it be possible to do something like remove all of the resource nodes in Cyrodiil and then specifically eliminate some of the anti-botting logic that was added which pushed a lot of the client-side computations back to the server

^^^ THIS ^^^
    seriously tho... ^^^ THIS SO HARD ^^^

People! You need to understand!
    This right here is THE CENTRAL ISSUE to this game's performace. It cannot be overstated how important this is.

The netcode issues introduced in patch 1.2.3 vastly supercedes all problems with AOE caps, Champion Point system imbalance, lack of softcaps, etc.

June 26th, 2014
    A day that will live in infamy...
    The day the Lag Bombs fell...
    :cry:
    Niaver wrote: »
    Xsorus wrote: »

It seems that they talk only about ping problem forgetting about fps problem.

FPS = game client issue

Most of this is about server lag, ie. optimizing the server so it can keep up with what is happening in Cyrodiil at any given time.
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this in relation to champion point bonus/passive calculations being done? Just curious, if so that could also be a reason why BWB is less lag intensive.

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • CtrlAltDlt
    CtrlAltDlt
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for your hard work on the performance issues in Cyradil Brian. When is the next incremental patch?
    PC NA - jeazzy

stamblade outnumbered pvp vol 1. youtu.be/h1ONYfpAJJ8
    Stamblade outbumbered pvp vol 2. No cheese youtu.be/rN4_aRVMvWw
  • Starshadw
    Starshadw
    ✭✭✭✭

I hate to have to say this, but I'm not sure you have until TG to get this fixed. The aggravation about the shoddy performance is growing amongst the PvP population. I've always enjoyed PvP, but these days I find I can only bear an hour or so before I simply log off in disgust. I suspect I'm not the only one. The zerging behavior (which is a big part of the lag issue) is destroying PvP.

Another vital part of solving the troubles in PvP is fixing the two base mechanics that are not working properly right now:

1. CC immunity
    2. Break-free

Neither of these two are functioning the way they should.

Repeatedly, players find themselves locked and unable to do anything (be that from stuns, knockdowns, or roots). Repeatedly, they find themselves Wrecking Blow spammed or Ambush spammed or [insert another irritating skill] spammed to death while they can do nothing except watch. Two particularly irritating combinations right now are Crit Rush + Wrecking Blow, and Wrecking Blow combined with Biting Jabs.

You have got to get your CC immunity working, since you refuse to add in skill cooldowns. In addition, I would suggest upping the timer on cc immunity to at least 10-15 seconds.

Break-free functionality is 50-50 at best these days. You can have full Stamina, yet the mechanic does not work. This may be because the game simply doesn't know how to handle multiple such skills hitting the character at once (which is usually what you have in a PvP situation - you aren't generally getting hit with one such skill, it's multiples). This may again be yet more proof of the weakness of the CC immunity function. Whatever it is, the break-free skill must be fixed so that it works, and so that it removes ALL such effects from the player upon use.
    Is this in relation to champion point bonus/passive calculations being done? Just curious, if so that could also be a reason why BWB is less lag intensive.

Unfortunately, the lag has now infected BWB. For the last few weeks, prime-time on BWB is seeing the same sort of lag one used to only find on the vet campaigns.
    Edited by Starshadw on January 19, 2016 4:51PM
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for working towards a lag-free Cyrodiil @ZOS_BrianWheeler !
    We all appreciate it and look forward to total victory!
    Until that day I will be playing mostly on Haderus at odd hours to avoid as many people (lag) as possible... I'll miss you 'Zuras.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My personal update on performance: Thanks for forcing me to roll an alt.
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Load screens are killing PVP for me. I can ride between keeps quicker than I can port.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forztr wrote: »
    Load screens are killing PVP for me. I can ride between keeps quicker than I can port.

Lucky ***!!! You can ride your horse!!

Signed,
    Templar stuck "in-combat"
  • Starshadw
    Starshadw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Docmandu wrote: »
    Forztr wrote: »

Lucky ***!!! You can ride your horse!!

Signed,
    Templar stuck "in-combat"

Solidarity *holds fist up*
  • Nutshotz
    Nutshotz
    ✭✭✭✭
    i will say my 2 cents, I am disgusted in the way the game is turning out and the so called band aid fixes Wrobel, and wheeler implement. ( facepalm ) on another note you are more than likely gonna lose about 60-70% of you games population in the next 6 months if you don't get your game together, oh wait eso already lost majority of its players. hello CU
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    The servers clearly cannot handle the load when they are at maximum player capacity and the player limit should be reduced while troubleshooting and fixes are done. I never TRY play when the server is even close to full anymore. Still the performance is terrible when compared to playing in IC.

Check these images, FPS and PING counter in bottom left, to me its not that surprising the lag is so bad with the crazy amount of stuff going on that needs to be processed. As mentioned, this is when server is not at the population limit so its still a lot better than when the server is full. I am just a bit confused how apparently it used to be fine prior to a lighting patch and they wont roll back.

yv0ijVK.jpg
    5PS54n7.jpg
    pxvo50N.jpg
    tMskWyJ.jpg
    NrtJHy3.jpg
  • MountainHound
    MountainHound
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a shame that one day the lag will "fix" its self due to no-one logging in anymore. I find myself logging off as soon as the lag hits which is happening more frequent and soon it will get to a point whereby I just stop logging in as I know it will be cr@p.

ZOS, you guys must be aware of other games coming out and I know the community is leaning to other games whilst the servers have problems which will shelf this game real quickly.

You guys have an addictive PVP game which is like a drug with many addicted to it. Listen to your customers!
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZOS_BrianWheeler did today's incremental patch have the fixes mentioned above?
  • Weberda
    Weberda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psilent wrote: »

@ZOS_BrianWheeler did today's incremental patch have the fixes mentioned above?

Yep. All fish have been removed from Cyrodiil. Good luck getting that Master Angler achievement now.
    Fernwood, EP Haderus NA
    Lo Behold, AD Thornblade NA (formerly Haderus, inactive)
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    POOP versus Players.