Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Why do I get low level rewards when doing writs as a level 16 character but level 10 alchemy?

bottlesofbecks
Probably a silly question with an obvious and easy answer.
Edited by bottlesofbecks on December 8, 2015 10:31AM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its all up to the RNGodess
  • bottlesofbecks
    Wow she's a ***
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    You are turning in your writs in a low level area (Sentinel, Eastmarch, or whatever the AD one is), this will only allow you to get rewards based on the level of solvent proficiency needed to drop off writs there.

To get higher level rewards you need to do the following:

1.) To drop off at Coldharbour, you need to reach The Hollow City in the main quest line. Dropping off there will get you rewards based on the next solvent proficiency (filtered water maybe?)

2.) To drop off at Belkarth, you need to beat the main story line and become vet level. Dropping off there will get you Cloud mist.

3.) To drop off at Orsinium, you need to complete 2 (above) and have access to the Wrothgar DLC. This will get you Lorkhan's tears.

That's how the system works, but some of my details (which waters, proficiencies) may be wrong.
    [PS4 NA]
    PSN: HebrewHatchet
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

3.) To drop off at Orsinium, you need to complete 2 (above) and have access to the Wrothgar DLC. This will get you Lorkhan's tears.

That's how the system works, but some of my details (which waters, proficiencies) may be wrong.

I am not sure how the writs work in this regard (my low levels don't have the crafting chops for the top end writs) but you don't need to be a Vet level or have finished the games Main Quest to get to Wrothgar. I have taken my L11 and L20 mules into Wrothgar. The NPC that sends you there is in the starter city for your faction. It stands to reason that the writs would be available as long as you have unlocked the material level for the top end writs.

Edited by Nestor on December 8, 2015 3:50PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    No, you can go to Wrothgar at any level, but you can't drop off writs there until you meet the requirements to drop off at Belkarth, and have 10 in alchemy. I am leveling up an alt with top level alchemy, enchanting, and provisioning at the moment, I am level 40, and just reached the hollow city. I just got the ability to get writs that drop off in the hollow city.

I also did this with my provisioning alt and can now drop off in Orsinium after beating the main story and reaching Vet 1. The writs opened up as I described.

I believe it is this way so that you can't start an alt and immediately do top tier writs.
    [PS4 NA]
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2.) To drop off at Belkarth, you need to beat the main story line and become vet level. Dropping off there will get you Cloud mist.

You do have to be a vet, but you don't have to finish the main quest to get writs in Belkarth. You need to have finished the first quest in Cold Harbor given by the Caretaker, and be able to craft with Cloud Mist. I won't swear to this, but I did the same with Provisioning, and I'm sure Alchemy works the same.

As to the rewards, they are all pretty much the same, except the solvents. The real reward comes from the surveys. Alchemy seems to yield a much higher chance of getting surveys. Anecdotally, I would say the survey chance is better than 50%.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need to have finished the first quest in Cold Harbor given by the Caretaker, and be able to craft with Cloud Mist.

You may not have to even do that. You can "open" the Coldharbor writ board just by "starting" the groundskeeper quest and doing nothing else. I can verify that for my non-vet crafters to get Writ V at Coldharbor.

Might be worth a try to have a VR1 do the same and see if that's enough to open Belkarth with Cloud Mist.
    Edited by SpAEkus on December 9, 2015 5:29AM
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow she's a ***

Lmao!!!

Well said my friend, well said
  • bottlesofbecks
    Thanks for the answers makes sense now.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Basically, with any writ you do, the requirements and rewards are based on your skill level (the points you've put into the passives that affect what level you can craft). As mentioned above, this gets wonky with certain other requirements coming into play for Coldharbour/Belkarth/Wrothgar.

I have access to Wrothgar, and the only writ I can turn in there is Provisioning. All others still have to be dropped off in Belkarth, since I'm still 9/10 in the equipment crafts.
  • nosourcenopath
    Okay I think i was having the same problem with my Provisioning Alt. She's lvl 21. She has level 50 in Provisioning, with max skill points in Recipe Quality and Improvement. However she only gets to turn in writs in Alik'r. Are you saying she has to hit vet level 1 in order to turn in Belkarth writs? I just sent a ticket into ESO and so far even they haven't been able to tell me!
    Hana Fireflower cp561 Dunmer Magblade (EP)
    Sap-Drinker cp561 Argonian Nightblade Magtank (EP)
    Dus cp561 Orc Stam Sorc (DC)
    The Third Shadow level 40 Khajit Nightblade (AD)
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, basically, that's right. Vet 1 and/or progress in the main story to get better rewards.
    [PS4 NA]
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you saying she has to hit vet level 1 in order to turn in Belkarth writs?

Yes, but you can start Writ V in Coldharbor if you wish, until you can reach VR1.

Just get to Coldharbor by travel to friend or guild member and just START the first quest in the Hollow City given by the Groundskeeper. You don't have to do anything else with the quest.

The Writ Boards will now be available for Writ V and turn-in at Coldharbor.
  • nosourcenopath
    Okay, now that I can get back on the server tonight, I'll give it a try. Thanks for the help!
    Hana Fireflower cp561 Dunmer Magblade (EP)
    Sap-Drinker cp561 Argonian Nightblade Magtank (EP)
    Dus cp561 Orc Stam Sorc (DC)
    The Third Shadow level 40 Khajit Nightblade (AD)