The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Best defensive class for PvP?

Bashev
Bashev
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Everybody who PvP regularly knows that in some situation he can be a main target for 3 or more people. Which class has the best defensive abilities in PvP?

Dragonknight
As a DK I can use reflective scales which reflects 4 projectiles in 4 seconds and obsidian shield which scales of health. Another defensive skill that I can use is magma armor. One morph of standard for damage mitigation.

Sorcerer
As a Sorc I can spam my hardened ward. Ball of lightning - absorbs magic projectiles.

Nightblade
As a NB I can use cloak to remove DoTs and cancel single target attacks and blur for 20% dodge chance. Consuming darkness - ultimate for damage mitigation

Templar
As a Templar I can use purifying ritual to cleanse, breath of life to heal myself and sun shield which scales of health. Radial sweep - ultimate for damage mitigation.

If I missed any class defensive skill please write it down and I will add it to the description. I didnt add the armor and spell resistance buffs as every class has them.
Edited by Bashev on November 27, 2015 8:33AM
Because I can!

Best defensive class for PvP? 98 votes

Dragonknight
41%
MJWesslingb14_ESOIruil_ESOJitterbugAra_ValleriaAenlirRunkorkoGilGaladPhatGrimReaperAoshyaco5712Ganjtplink3r1ItsRejectzReifResipsa131shadowcoderKatinasFfastylEirellaodtnow 41 votes
Sorcerer
30%
SolarikenLegacyDMMisterBigglesworthTheBullKayshaSpringt-Über-Zwergekillingspreeb16_ESOjakobandersen84prb18_ESOFrancescolgBashevCîanaiWarraxxRoamingRiverElkInvader_VinSoriseliisraLettigallXvorgBalticBluesIsbilen 30 votes
Nightblade
14%
ArmitasForestd16b14_ESOSpacemonkeyRajajshkaMinscdsalterrordoggMojomonkeymanItoqBigTonea1i3nzLucky28AmourerosToc de Malsvi 14 votes
Templar
13%
TankqullImdrefanFMonkAbobFrozenAnimalGarionDerraTomatoOlen_MikkoMaster_KasDiozaelsCarpe-VeritatememperorCAVEMAN 13 votes
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    NB Sap Tank.
    Except tanking and healing group members not really useful tho.

DKs can equally tank and can hit harder. AoE Roots and standard a pretty nice as well.

Both useful, but I'd rather fight the Nb than a DK.
    R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    According to me from all defensive skills the strongest ones are the shields because they can protect you from all crits and they absorb all the damage + they can protect you from some of the CC effects and bleedig DoT.

That is why I voted for a Sorc.
    Because I can!
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc also has surge for crit heals, mines and bolt escape all for defence
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer

Crit heals in pvp is not so strong. I can add it partially. Mines do not mitigate damage directly. But you are right for Ball of Lighting because it can absorb magic projectiles.
    Because I can!
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

Crit heals in pvp is not so strong. I can add it partially. Mines do not mitigate damage directly. But you are right for Ball of Lighting because it can absorb magic projectiles.

You lay mines to slow your enemy down and to force them to cross over them to attack you. In essence they operate like a shield or defensive position. I personally wouldn't include a heal as a defence but you had a heal in for Temps so included it for Sorc.

The other one I was referring to was bolt escape not lightening form. Again bolt can be used as an escape hence it is a defensive skill in my book. Your right though lightening form provides armour so based on your Temp skill reference it is defensive as well.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorc also has defensive rune, which is great against gankers, and good for 1vX since you can simply focus a different target from the one in your rune and force them to break it. Sorc also has mines, the best non-ulti area denial in the game
  • Hexys
    Hexys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    You mentioned Ball of lightning, but streak is better in almost all situations. A sorc doesn't have to port 5 times to get away, turn around streak the enemies behind you, loose line of sight and you're gone.
    Astrum | Daggerfall Covenan | EU-PC
    Noricum | Daggerfall Covenant | EU-PC
    Spectral | Ebonheart Pact | EU-PC

DC | AR 50 | Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (07-08-2016)
    AD | AR 50 | Hexposed - Magicka Sorcerer (27-04-2017)
    EP | AR 50 | Darth Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (05-08-2018)
    EP | AR 50 | Grand Overload Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (03-03-2021)
    EP | AR 39 | Legendary Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer

EP | AR 43 | Hexyles - Stamina Nightblade
    EP | AR 49 | Hexys - Stamina Nightblade (23-02-2022)
    EP | AR 35 | Hexesy Shadowblade - Stamina Nightblade

EP | AR 50 | Hexesy - Magicka Warden (31-01-2021)
    EP | AR 49 | Hexyra - Magicka Warden (07-03-2021)

EP | AR 34 | Hexesy Czyterski - Magicka Necromancer

2.5k+ Champion Points
    Earned over 640.000.000 Alliance Points!

@Hexiss - Youtube Channel - Twitch Channel
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    Recently started playing a magicka NB. Went to Azura's star when i hit Lv. 25 and have been PvPing with him for the past 4 days.... it is stupidly easy to stay alive easier than when on my V16 sorc. so i voted nightblade.

Edited by Lucky28 on November 27, 2015 1:02PM
    Invictus
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    DK. Only class with defensive passives. Sorc shields are great for tanking until someone shows up with shield breaker.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on November 27, 2015 2:43PM
  • Olen_Mikko
    Olen_Mikko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar
    They all have their pros and cons.

I'd say NBs are the weakest defence class, since they lack a good self heal and cloak is ridiculously easy to counter.

Maybe templars are the best defensive class, since they have powerful heals and damage shield
    NB enthusiastic:
    1. Woodhippie stamblade - DW hard-hitter / PvE
    2. Know-it-all elf Magblade - Healer / PvE & PvP
    3. Hate-them-all elf Magblade - Destrostaff AoE monster / PvE
    4. Cyrodiil-Refugee stamblade - Stamina Tank / PvE

Go dominion or go home

Nightblade-Hipster. I played Nightblade before it was cool - from 1.5 onwards.
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Everybody who PvP regularly knows that in some situation he can be a main target for 3 or more people. Which class has the best defensive abilities in PvP?

Only class that has a chance in that scenario is sorcerer. Rest will die from triple focus, before able to break cc.

Hardened Ward is the a strongest defensive ability in the game. It makes you immune to crits. It prevents you from getting busted down to 0 health when cc'ed. It absorbs both physical and spell dmg. Unlike other shields it comes with 33% self bonus and scales of magicka, in comparison to health scaling shields, it's huge.

But sorcerers also has mobility or the ability to kite multiple players with Boundless Storm and Bolt Escape. DK's and templars cant kite at all, why they die way faster, even with strong heals or tank passives.
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »

I'd say NBs are the weakest defence class, since they lack a good self heal and cloak is ridiculously easy to counter.

Maybe templars are the best defensive class, since they have powerful heals and damage shield

please dont call blazing shield a damageschield its non existant atm
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
  • SemiD4rkness
    SemiD4rkness
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Olen_Mikko wrote: »

please dont call blazing shield a damageschield its non existant atm

It's a shield that can completely deny the damage out of ONE light attack, if it isn't crit. Now that's what I call a good all around defensive ability.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    It's really sad that us sorcerers have better survival than a DK lol. I really feel like harness and hardened ward should NOT stack with each other. Sorcerer is the only class I play so I'm not just some hater lol
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Dragonknight
    As a DK I can use reflective scales which reflects 4 projectiles in 4 seconds and obsidian shield which scales of health. Another defensive skill that I can use is magma armor. One morph of standard for damage mitigation.

Sorcerer
    As a Sorc I can spam my hardened ward. Ball of lightning - absorbs magic projectiles.

Nightblade
    As a NB I can use cloak to remove DoTs and cancel single target attacks and blur for 20% dodge chance. Consuming darkness - ultimate for damage mitigation

Templar
    As a Templar I can use purifying ritual to cleanse, breath of life to heal myself and sun shield which scales of health. Radial sweep - ultimate for damage mitigation.

If I missed any class defensive skill please write it down and I will add it to the description. I didnt add the armor and spell resistance buffs as every class has them.

I think this needs to be broken down further.

Best Magicka defense, hands down a Sorc with Ball of Lightning and harness magicka/hardened ward.

Best Physical defense would be either a Nightblade dodger or DK blocker.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nightblade
    OK how is any voting for DK. Yes DKs are meant to be tanks but since the META choose NB NBs are the class for pvp and now PvE tanks.

NBs period they're "the class" to be and ZOS needs to start balancing the classes already.
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    I pick sorc because:
    - strongest and spammable absorb shield -by a large margin-
    - nice skills with considerable (build-in) CC
    - Daedric Mines (so strong, if you know how to use them)
    - self heal mechanic
    - Resto-staff skills (healing ward, HoT, etc etc) can PROC crushing shock.. ! (THIS IS SO STRONG, again: only if you know how to play it)
    - consecutive blink/teleport (however YOU call it ZENIMAX.. don't reinvent the wheel...^^), the nurf did not really make it impossible to teleport 3-4 times in a row

/edit sorcerer's defense is SO strong that I, as a templar/healer, seldomly have to heal them in dungeons, if and only if (!) they know how to play their sorc. A group with 2-3 good sorcerer-players makes my healer jobless
    Edited by Francescolg on November 27, 2015 8:12PM
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorc or NB have the strongest defense, aswell as the strongest attack abilities. This has been the state of the game for over 6 months now and nobody cares, so no need to discuss it. I pick sorc because:

- Strongest and spammable absorb shield -by a large margin-
    - Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic
    - Combination of restoration staff skills (healing ward, HoT, etc etc) AND crushing shock.. ! (THIS IS SO STRONG, people are just lucky that many sorcs don't really know how to play with resto staff^^)
    - consecutive blink/teleport (however YOU call it ZENIMAX.. don't reinvent the wheel...^^), the nurf did not really make it impossible to teleport 3-4 times in a row

This, thank god zos said a class rebalance is incoming, I can't wait to see the QQ of all the people that rerolled sorcs recently just to be OP, same as DK a while back.

Me? I'm still loving my templars, and still praying that this class rebalance finally pushes us up a notch
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    zornyan wrote: »
    Sorc or NB have the strongest defense, aswell as the strongest attack abilities. This has been the state of the game for over 6 months now and nobody cares, so no need to discuss it. I pick sorc because:

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic
    - Combination of restoration staff skills (healing ward, HoT, etc etc) AND crushing shock.. ! (THIS IS SO STRONG, people are just lucky that many sorcs don't really know how to play with resto staff^^)

This, thank god zos said a class rebalance is incoming, I can't wait to see the QQ of all the people that rerolled sorcs recently just to be OP, same as DK a while back.

Me? I'm still loving my templars, and still praying that this class rebalance finally pushes us up a notch

May I ask when and where they said this? I agree btw. Sorcs have the best damage, the best mobility and the best survivability. There needs to be a trade-off somewhere.
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic

May I ask when and where they said this? I agree btw. Sorcs have the best damage, the best mobility and the best survivability. There needs to be a trade-off somewhere.

Early next year, I *think* they are aiming to do it before the next dlc, but WORST case March when the next dlc drops, although they've already said major updates will be coming before then anyway.

I would say end of Jan beginning of feb.

Personally people say buff other classes, yeah great, but if they buff everyone to be as powerful as sorc end game content will already become a joke, hence why sorcs find malestrom easy and other classes find it hard, it should be in between for both, so some classes need tweets to be more powerful, but only a smidge, whilst others need a small nerf, so that content doesn't become too easy.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic

Except they dont have anywhere close to the best mobility and they can't have the best damage and the best survivability both.

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic

Early next year, I *think* they are aiming to do it before the next dlc, but WORST case March when the next dlc drops, although they've already said major updates will be coming before then anyway.

Personally people say buff other classes, yeah great, but if they buff everyone to be as powerful as sorc end game content will already become a joke, hence why sorcs find malestrom easy and other classes find it hard, it should be in between for both, so some classes need tweets to be more powerful, but only a smidge, whilst others need a small nerf, so that content doesn't become too easy.

I know players from all classes who think Maelstrom is easy. I also know sorcs who find maelstrom hard. Maelstrom shouldn't be the measure stick for which class balance is achieved.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Ezareth wrote: »

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic

Except they dont have anywhere close to the best mobility and they can't have the best damage and the best survivability both.

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic

I know players from all classes who think Maelstrom is easy. I also know sorcs who find maelstrom hard. Maelstrom shouldn't be the measure stick for which class balance is achieved.

They can bolt all over the map and they gain major expedition from boundless storm. You don't get better mobility than that, and Deltia's sorc was doing 25k per light attack from overload in maelstrom, and his sorc set up isn't even the best out there. So yes: best mobility, best survivability, and best damage output.
    Edited by Strider_Roshin on November 27, 2015 11:34PM
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic

- Daedric Mines
    - Self heal mechanic

Well you kinda can.

If you take all 4 class magicka builds, put them all in a solo enviroment, even give them all the exact same gear, and one class massively massively outshines another then that proves something is wrong.

For instance I went in on my stam dk (for jokes yo) and it was painstakingly hard, self healing was much harder, sustain was harder, when getting battered from all corners by various mobs that you have to attack in melee range it's just horrific.

Then in comparison I go on my templar and find it far far easier.

Then I go in on my sorc and it's just half the difficulty, keep tapping that shield, throw the odd skill down, annihilate trash with frags or aoes. Then go into overlolmyghozdps mode and burn down the bosses at a ridiculous rate.

That reeks of unbalance, leaderboards speak for themsleves, the fact that no one single dk has finished vetmsa on console is a huge issue, compared to a large sorc amount, and few others.

anyway it's not worth arguing about, zos have said they realised it's unbalanced, and they've mentioned a few times about sorcs. So they're getting nerfed regardless.
  • a1i3nz
    a1i3nz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nightblade
    I'd say the best defense is a good offense, except in ESOs case. PVP is a laughable zerg fest. Just go nightblade so you can cloak up and remove dots.
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer
    After reading your descriptions for each class I don't think "Defense" is quite the right word here. Really what you're talking about is overall Survivability.

I vote Sorc due to all the tools they can have on their bars all at the same time in order to counter almost any situation. Mines to counter melee. Ball to counter ranged. Lightning form to counter stealth melee. Having a ranged stun without it being a gap closer (which puts you in harm's way) and also without having to give up the extra spell power duel weild gives you in favor of destro staff's ranged CC.

There's just a lot of little things that all add up to a big advantage.
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭
    Templar
    DK. Only class with defensive passives. Sorc shields are great for tanking until someone shows up with shield breaker.

Untrue, templar Spear wall passive reduces melee damage by 15% while blocking, Dk iron skin reduces damage by 10% while blocking.

Also Templars have their balanced warrior passive increasing spell resist by

DK's have scaled armor passive increasing spell resist by 2500
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    get vigor and everything is aok. Mix that with stamblade and gg.
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragonknight
    Dks have the best stand your ground defense
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sorcerer
    Dks had the best stand your ground defense
    I corrected this for you. Now can you tell us why do you think that DKs has the best stand your ground defense?

Because I can!