The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Flashes or Radiant Destruction

Turtl3Lov3
Turtl3Lov3
✭✭✭✭
Templars, would you trade Radiant Destruction back for Flashes? For a time Flashes was underused like Mass Hysteria was for Nightblades, but it was a phenomenal defensive skill in PVP that enabled you to go on the offensive for the most part. Although it was powerful when paired with Blazing Shield pre-1.6, I think it's safe to say that most of us don't even bother to put Blazing on our bars anymore (unless paired w/ Anullment) given the fact that in this current patch shields other than Hardened Ward are extremely weak.

I believe giving Flashes back to Templars would make them very, very, very, VERY happy and put them on the competitive Solo/Small Group imaginary super fun time spectrum and encourage some other play styles than spamming BoL when in trouble like many new Templars are prone to do. My Templar has been my main since May of 2014 and now when I login to ESO to 1vX or small group I think to my self, 'Why logon to my Templar when I have a DK, NB, and Sorc that can perform much better in PVP', so I don't. Even if ZOS brings it back (which is highly unlikely much like that they're totally reading this thread) it should cost a fair amount of magicka or have a cool down to prevent renewing the effect right away like I would in pre-1.6 to prevent spamming from both magicka and stamina based Templars.

When answering please explain why you chose that decision. Be creative, voice your opinion. Please stay on topic.
Edited by Turtl3Lov3 on November 24, 2015 3:47AM

Flashes or Radiant Destruction 62 votes

Replace Radiant Destruction with Flashes
29%
Kaslolo_01b16_ESOAenlirSwen_von_WalhallionKaramis_Vimardonjakobandersen84prb18_ESOFrancescolgcavarPelemanetplink3r1vortexman11FfastylNiclasFridholmWreuntzyllaTorbschkaAfkNinjaitsDeejTurtl3Lov3 18 votes
Don't replace Radiant Destruction with Flashes
12%
Zardayneeldermpsmithrwb17_ESOhammayolettuceGilGaladaco5712ZlaterOdinForgeTheRubiksCube 8 votes
Replace a different Dawn's Wrath skill with Flashes
58%
GrunimSolarikenwayfarerxJoy_DivisionColoursYouHaveIllumousSpringt-Über-ZwergeTankqullHowlImdrefanDaraughSheezabeastbooksmcreadIdinuseRajajshkaleeuxFornacisMillerman34ncaeliusstarbreakerAshamray 36 votes
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They could probably get rid of backlash, and give us radiant destruction (and this time with a stamina/magicka set of morphs). Then they could give us blinding flashes back. Either that or they could make backlash actually good.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Turtl3Lov3
    Turtl3Lov3
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could probably get rid of backlash, and give us radiant destruction (and this time with a stamina/magicka set of morphs). Then they could give us blinding flashes back. Either that or they could make backlash actually good.

I agree completely. Backlash provides hardly any extra dps in PVE and is quite useless in PVP unless you're in a structured 1v1 Duel.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get rid of backlash. It has a capped damage that does *not* take into account or is modified by your spellpower. It has thus been a DPS loss ever since you got those fancy sets that have increased your spellpower from 2000 to 4000.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Get rid of backlash. It has a capped damage that does *not* take into account or is modified by your spellpower. It has thus been a DPS loss ever since you got those fancy sets that have increased your spellpower from 2000 to 4000.

Backlash is a cool idea in theory, but it is ill conceived. Either way I'd take the Radiant destruction instead (particularly if we got a stam morph) and get my blinding flashes back. It'd be nice to have an aoe cc again (and even that was a slushy cc compared to some).
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I never got around to looking at blinding flashes before they replaced it, so can't say I miss it. Templar dps is of the slow and moderate variety, based around DoT and channel skills. When you spec for it, (and remember to use it at the right time), RD is a powerful weapon.

I have since then explored and maxed at least one morph of every other skill in the templar line. With the exception of backlash, which didn't seem worth exploring further for either morph. Honestly, you could replace that one, or even add cc to healing ritual instead and call it a day.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Turtl3Lov3
    Turtl3Lov3
    ✭✭✭✭
    I never got around to looking at blinding flashes before they replaced it, so can't say I miss it.

It was very underused as I stated. But what I forgot to say was that it gave Templars a 50% chance to dodge attacks if that enemy was within the small AoE, one morph had damage upon activation and the other pulsed every 2 seconds renewing it's effect if the enemy wasn't in the AoE when initially casted. Though OP when stacked with Evasion I suggest if it's brought back to not stack with other evasion buffs.
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Turtl3Lov3 wrote: »
    Though OP when stacked with Evasion I suggest if it's brought back to not stack with other evasion buffs.
    If they bring it back, you pretty much have to expect it to be brought back and fit in with the buff system (ie, it'll only grant major evasion). Pretty much every skill that affects your stat sheet works on the buff system (as soft-caps can no longer restrict how large a value can get) and I can't see them making an exception just for us.

An example of this is what's left of Radiant Aura. I agree an 80% stam regen buff would be hell OP in the current live system but with soft-cap removals it was reduced to a 20% increase (major fortitude+endurance) which doesn't even stack with potions.

TL;DR: Are we happy to get rid of a different skill for the same effect as Evasion rather than a 50% buff? (admittedly the fact it's magicka driven may be of appeal).

Edit: Side-note is I use backlash but only as PvE healer since it's very quick to apply and weapon-swap cancel back to healing. Don't use it anywhere else.
    Edited by Seri on November 26, 2015 12:51PM
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • Seri
    Seri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Double post -_-
    Edited by Seri on November 26, 2015 12:51PM
    EP CP160+ Templar, Sorc, NB
    DC CP160+ Templar, Sorc, DK
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why dont they add its effect to radiant aura? They wouldnt make it 50% anyways so that morph would become actually useful?
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiant Destruction is too beautiful to replace it :3
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
  • cazlonb16_ESO
    cazlonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which version of Jezuz Beam are we talking ? The current at best mildly useful one ? The bugged one giving max multiplier starting at 50% and going through walls ? A hypothetical unbugged one doing decent, but not op damage ?
  • Francescolg
    Francescolg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stop playing Templar and you'll have much more fun in this game, especially in PvP!
  • Turtl3Lov3
    Turtl3Lov3
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stop playing Templar and you'll have much more fun in this game, especially in PvP!

In the current state of the game, I completely recommend not choosing Templar for any new players.
    IT RUINS THE IMMERSION
  • Imdrefan
    Imdrefan
    ✭✭✭

Sadly this is becoming more and more true.
    Drefan - VR14 AD Templar
    Decibel
    Dark Flare to the Face
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually like my templar most... guess I'm a sucker for pain.
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    Don't replace Radiant Destruction with Flashes

Backlash is works like a harness magicka, It does scale, but it only scales off magicka, not damage.
    Templar's are a game changer for group pvp and absolute monsters in pve. They are not the most solo friendly class, but when in a group they freaking rock.
    Ask for an invite to the greatest network of guilds ever. Redfur Trading, Redfur Exchange and Redfur Army!

www.redfurconnect.com
  • Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    imho the reason for the change wasn't to buff templar adn finally give them execute, it was that they relaized flashes would be too strong... sadly, very sadly...

imho it'd be such a great skill right now and actually fairly balanced (in particular if you tune the miss chance. where 80% are just crazy, 50 may still be OP, but somethign like 10% is probably actually rather week)

PS: nobody from ZOS will ever read this (except maybe a moderator that is only supposed to stop flamers). if you want it to be seens, you shoudl use the general char+combat section. even the official post about AoE caps has been made there...

this subforum right here is just a dead end
    Edited by Kas on December 2, 2015 12:55PM
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others