The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hooking Wrothgar's Biggest Catch

• BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    puts on tin lobster hat

Too many stories of people catching it on their first try to be a coincidence...
    Edited by BlackEar on November 16, 2015 10:03PM
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    My two v16's caught it at night each on their 1st cast!

In the same spot too! It's on the west near the NPC who tells you about it. Waiting til dark used worms. Caught a blue one right after too!

Now, after you catch it, go back and talk to her. You can tell her you already caught it and the attitude she has! HAHAHA it was amusing to me :)

I'm going to take my lower level alts there soon and see if they have good luck like the other 2 did.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I caught it at night, west of Morkul stronghold. It was my first cast in that fishing hole. Funnily enough, I still haven't caught the ocean blue despite spending several evenings fishing in different spots around Wrothgar. :)
  • obubbaj
    obubbaj
    ✭✭
    Santie took some photos to help you :)

22651077497_9d427f69fb_z.jpg
    Purple Fish pond 2

23055860342_9d2866c173_z.jpg
    Purple Fish Pond

22677486909_68f2a69dd4_z.jpg

This one should also mention that someone who joined me in fishing at this place also found the fish very quickly.

Caught it at 22:15 in-game time, at the location shown in picture (NW of the Morkul Plain Wayshrine, by in a tidal pool-like shallow). Second catch at this location, after several hundred ocean catches on other parts of coast.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I caught a green fish,but I couldnt spell it if I tried. It started with a W.
  • Shimmer
    Shimmer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    purplefish_zpsaqf2bwgb.jpg

I caught it during daytime hours, it was NOT my first cast in the zone. However, it was my first cast after porting into the zone from somewhere else.
    YouTube | Twitter | Twitch | The Differently Geared

Mistakes must be carelessly planned.
  • Elebeth
    Elebeth
    ✭✭✭
    In latest patch notes:

"Fishing
    Fixed an issue where the legendary fish in Wrothgar could be caught outside of the intended conditions. If you’d like to test your luck, there’s a rumor that an orc named Atorag may have seen some unusual fish behavior along the coast, west of Morkul Stronghold."

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/233498/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-2-7

Looks like the NPC instructions were right but the fish was bugged.
    "I don't recall using teleportation, and yet there I was. Alone. Naked." Morrowind
  • BlackEar
    BlackEar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch @Elebeth (no pun intended)!

So I guess, just for the sake of it, if anyone does catch in at daytime please post it here to confirm with screenshot proof.
    Bjorn Blackbear - Master Angler - Collector - Black Market Mogul - Ebonheart Pact - Exterminatus - EU.

Achievement hunter:

Visit my profile page to find out about which achievement I am currently hunting.

Check out Anemonean's thieving guide!
  • Elebeth
    Elebeth
    ✭✭✭
    BlackEar wrote: »
    Good catch @Elebeth (no pun intended)!

So I guess, just for the sake of it, if anyone does catch in at daytime please post it here to confirm with screenshot proof.

Nice one BlackEar :D

Also, those patch notes are of today (tomorrow for EU) so anyone that managed to catch the fish during day time (including me) were able to do so because of the bug.
    So all the EU ppl, either start hooking now or you'll never see the light of day again! <---- see what I did there
    Edited by Elebeth on November 30, 2015 5:23PM
    "I don't recall using teleportation, and yet there I was. Alone. Naked." Morrowind
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the thing about the couple of friends also a requirement? I.e. do you need to be fishing in a group to get the purple?

[UPDATE] Just got the fish, it was night time and I was in a group with 2 other people. The fish dropped for all of us in the same hole NW of Morkul wayshrine. It didn't drop at the same time, first one of us got it, then another, and I had to suffer through 4 or 5 more throws before it dropped for me :)
    Edited by daemonios on December 4, 2015 5:18PM
  • macadamia9
    Caught one on my first cast, but missed the "screen shot" button and hit the mount button, so I lost the fish... After a moment of cussing and moaning about it, I casted again, and caught another one on my second cast...
  • Elebeth
    Elebeth
    ✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    Is the thing about the couple of friends also a requirement? I.e. do you need to be fishing in a group to get the purple?

[UPDATE] Just got the fish, it was night time and I was in a group with 2 other people. The fish dropped for all of us in the same hole NW of Morkul wayshrine. It didn't drop at the same time, first one of us got it, then another, and I had to suffer through 4 or 5 more throws before it dropped for me :)

Having "couple of friends" is probably just a hint on a hint that having multiple people fishing from the same pond increases your chances of catching uncommon fish.
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    I've lost count of the number of hours I have spent looking for this stupid fish. I've been all up and down the coast west of Morkul. I've spent all day and all night (game time) and nothing. Spent a good several hours (real world time) straight and nothing. I've caught plenty of Dhufish, Longfin, wet gunny sacks and other green and blue fish even the odd blue ringed octopus, but never have I caught the crab-slaughter-crane fish. What am I missing?

The patch notes say look along the coast west of Morkul and that's it. Talking to Atorag and I find it's at night and try with a couple of mates - nothing else. So, is this fish only in the ocean or elsewhere? And only at night or anytime? Does the bait matter - worms or chub? And do you need to be in a group of 3 or 4 or can this be done solo.

I've spend so much on buying worms for this thing and still have nothing. I've managed to catch every other fish. How do I get this one?
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've lost count of the number of hours I have spent looking for this stupid fish. I've been all up and down the coast west of Morkul. I've spent all day and all night (game time) and nothing. Spent a good several hours (real world time) straight and nothing. I've caught plenty of Dhufish, Longfin, wet gunny sacks and other green and blue fish even the odd blue ringed octopus, but never have I caught the crab-slaughter-crane fish. What am I missing?

The patch notes say look along the coast west of Morkul and that's it. Talking to Atorag and I find it's at night and try with a couple of mates - nothing else. So, is this fish only in the ocean or elsewhere? And only at night or anytime? Does the bait matter - worms or chub? And do you need to be in a group of 3 or 4 or can this be done solo.

I've spend so much on buying worms for this thing and still have nothing. I've managed to catch every other fish. How do I get this one?

Caught it in ocean, using worms, at night, in a group of 3. Took less than 10 minutes after we were grouped and fishing together. Try this and see if it works for you.
  • rootimus
    rootimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nordsavage wrote: »
    caught it in sea water east of Morkul shrine.

Pics of this secret sea water area to the East or it didn't happen. Personally, I just caught it in sea water to the West of the same wayshrine. :)
    Even on the internet, clear communication is important; it can be the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" and "helping your uncle jack off a horse"; the difference between "knowing your s***" and "knowing you're s***".
    Greybeards & Gals - Civilised, laid-back, mature gamers. Beards optional. |
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I caught him after about 20 reels.

Location: near the npc that talks about the giant fish. I stood on a large rock on the beach

Time: sunset- the sun was due West over the water
    Edited by Asherons_Call on December 7, 2015 9:44PM
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlackEar wrote: »
    puts on tin lobster hat

Too many stories of people catching it on their first try to be a coincidence...

Yep I agree. It's not really rare at all, you just have to be at the right place at the right time
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caught it in ocean, using worms, at night, in a group of 3. Took less than 10 minutes after we were grouped and fishing together. Try this and see if it works for you.

+1 this. I was up and down the coast for about an hour real time, sunset into night either solo or with another person, and no Slaughter-Crane-fish. Within a cast or two of grouping up with a third person, it showed up, and everyone had it within a few casts. I will note that I was using Worms, and also we were formally grouped rather than just having three people fishing from the same spot; I don't know if that makes a difference.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO

+1 this. I was up and down the coast for about an hour real time, sunset into night either solo or with another person, and no Slaughter-Crane-fish. Within a cast or two of grouping up with a third person, it showed up, and everyone had it within a few casts. I will note that I was using Worms, and also we were formally grouped rather than just having three people fishing from the same spot; I don't know if that makes a difference.

Yep looks like you need at least 3 people for this. Been trying for days solo with nothing. Grouped with 1 other person and still nothing. As soon as I was in a group of 3 we all caught it within a couple of minutes. After trying for days I couldn't believe how easy it turned out to be.
  • robkrush
    robkrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylance9 wrote: »

I caught it during daytime hours, it was NOT my first cast in the zone. However, it was my first cast after porting into the zone from somewhere else.

This is exactly where I caught it at. I was alone, caught it on my first cast. My buddy tried later and caught it on his second cast. His wife tried later, with both of us there, and caught it on her first cast. A truly lucky hole.

All of us had fished in wrothgar a lot prior to this. We used the Morkul wayshrine to port there.
    Edited by robkrush on January 5, 2016 2:29PM
    PS4-NA-DC
    PSN: robkrush

The game's central concept of "PvP in PvP areas and be safe in safe areas" needs to stay the way it is.
    ZOS, 1-12-2016
  • antmck2011rwb17_ESO
    robkrush wrote: »

This is exactly where I caught it at. I was alone, caught it on my first cast. My buddy tried later and caught it on his second cast. His wife tried later, with both of us there, and caught it on her first cast. A truly lucky hole.

I hate you... I tried for literally days on my own with no luck. As soon as I was in a group of 3 - bang, bang, bang. We each caught it one after the other. This game is rigged!
  • robkrush
    robkrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    robkrush wrote: »

I hate you... I tried for literally days on my own with no luck. As soon as I was in a group of 3 - bang, bang, bang. We each caught it one after the other. This game is rigged!

360 fish caught. 1 Perfect Roe! Now whos getting trolled by ZoS?

Good news, Wrothgar Master angler done in a night.
    Edited by robkrush on January 5, 2016 2:35PM
    PS4-NA-DC

The game's central concept of "PvP in PvP areas and be safe in safe areas" needs to stay the way it is.
    ZOS, 1-12-2016
  • crowfl56
    crowfl56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completed Wrothgar fishing fast and easy,

Ocean is the only place to catch the purple fishy.
  • Pangnirtung
    Pangnirtung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    obubbaj wrote: »
    Santie took some photos to help you :)

22651077497_9d427f69fb_z.jpg
    Purple Fish pond 2

23055860342_9d2866c173_z.jpg
    Purple Fish Pond

22677486909_68f2a69dd4_z.jpg

This one should also mention that someone who joined me in fishing at this place also found the fish very quickly.

Caught it at 22:15 in-game time, at the location shown in picture (NW of the Morkul Plain Wayshrine, by in a tidal pool-like shallow). Second catch at this location, after several hundred ocean catches on other parts of coast.

This is EXACTLY where I got my purple fish on my FIRST cast at night also. LOL
  • astraea360
    astraea360
    ✭✭
    I caught mine in the daylight. Think there is no difference if it is night or day.
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep looks like you need at least 3 people for this. Been trying for days solo with nothing. Grouped with 1 other person and still nothing. As soon as I was in a group of 3 we all caught it within a couple of minutes. After trying for days I couldn't believe how easy it turned out to be.

I did it solo.

1. Find a fishing hole by the npc that talks about the giant fish
    2. Wait until sunset (look to the west over the ocean)
    3. Fish. It took me about 5 minutes

• Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on guys. How to catch Wrothgars biggest fish and get the purple fish achievement was posted in the patch notes about a month ago.

I'm going to be somewhat vague here, so not to be a total spoiler.

The trick to catching the special fish has nothing to do with time put in, and everything to do with having a conversation with an NPC about the fish, then fishing in the closest hole to the person who informs you about the fish. The "quest giver" is an orc woman near her village on the NW shore of the ocean.

Every one of my guildies I have told this trick to has caught the special fish on their first or second casts. Just find the orc lady who talks about the fish outside her village on the shore, then fish in the closest hole after talking to her. that's all there is to it. The fish is in warm, shallow, ocean water. You won't catch it in the arctic waters in the NE.

Hope this helps. And a friendly reminder, they do throw us bones in the patch notes once in a while.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    Come on guys. How to catch Wrothgars biggest fish and get the purple fish achievement was posted in the patch notes about a month ago.

The trick to catching the special fish has nothing to do with time put in, and everything to do with having a conversation with an NPC about the fish, then fishing in the closest hole to the person who informs you about the fish. The "quest giver" is an orc woman near her village on the NW shore of the ocean.

Every one of my guildies I have told this trick to has caught the special fish on their first or second casts. Just find the orc lady who talks about the fish outside her village on the shore, then fish in the closest hole after talking to her. that's all there is to it. The fish is in warm, shallow, ocean water. You won't catch it in the arctic waters in the NE.

Hope this helps. And a friendly reminder, they do throw us bones in the patch notes once in a while.

Ok, since someone else already posted it, here is where to find the orc woman talking about the fish.

(NW of the Morkul Plain Wayshrine, by in a tidal pool-like shallow)
  • robkrush
    robkrush
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, since someone else already posted it, here is where to find the orc woman talking about the fish.

(NW of the Morkul Plain Wayshrine, by in a tidal pool-like shallow)

Who knew! I thought they just listed nerfs in the patch notes.
    Edited by robkrush on January 5, 2016 3:34PM
    PS4-NA-DC

ZOS, 1-12-2016
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @wenxue2222b16_ESO

Can't find any fishing holes where everyone has been saying....not in shallow parts anyway.
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
This discussion has been closed.