Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Tier 10 Crafting Writs Not Worth it.

Soleya
Soleya
✭✭✭✭✭
Did a woodworking writ yesterday. Required 2 nightwood bows and a Ruby Ash Shield. The Shield requires 14 Ruby Ash at approx 500g each, that's 7000+ gold worth of materials. My reward was a Ruby Ash Bow and an Amethyst. Decontrutcting the bow gave me 1 Ruby Ash.

Seems like there is 0 value in doing max level writs anymore. In fact, about -6500 gold value.

Has anyone gotten anything useful from the max level writs now?
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only time the writs are of any value now is IF you receive one of the survey maps. Otherwise it's a major waste of time and materials. Since Wrothgar is being so heavily farmed, there is a lot of competition for the Rubedite, Ancestor, and Ruby Ash. So you barely can get enough just to do the writs, much less keep ahead to make some new VR16 gear. I sure hope it will get better.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had to go to Cyrodiil to farm the nodes as Wrothgar has been very dry recently... shame is Cyrodiil is so large so random drops feel very few and far between.

They need to implement a system where the nodes are separate for each player so other players cant farm the land dry over and over again. I'm sure some of these players are bots too because they dont talk to you and run in very direct lines hmmmm
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • AmmonErebos
    AmmonErebos
    ✭✭✭
    I've had to go to Cyrodiil to farm the nodes as Wrothgar has been very dry recently... shame is Cyrodiil is so large so random drops feel very few and far between.

They need to implement a system where the nodes are separate for each player so other players cant farm the land dry over and over again. I'm sure some of these players are bots too because they dont talk to you and run in very direct lines hmmmm

or maybe they dont care to talk to random strangers?
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the lvl 10 writ. They use a lot less mats then lvl 9. I have no problem finding the enough mats to do 8 lvl 10 writs, while running around doing the quests.
    Edited by Ackwalan on November 6, 2015 7:51AM
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    This is a good point, and I can't downgrade my skill points in crafting so that I get lower level writs because then I won't be able to craft what I need to.

I haven't noticed any improved chance of getting glass style motifs, and they're not worth that much anymore anyway.

I think I'm just going to stop doing writs.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As someone who prefers to harvest rather than buy materials, I much prefer crafting fewer items - even if one of them uses VR15/16 materials.

The only problem is with leather. The drops from mobs aren't too good and you don't get any in clothing surveys.

They could do with adding some Craglorn-style welvas :)
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    I like the lvl 10 writ. They use a lot less mats then lvl 9. I have no problem finding the enough mats to do 8 lvl 10 writs, while running around doing the quests.

Yes, you may well find enough mats to DO the writs... but thats not the OP's point....

The point is that you would be far far better off selling those mats that you found/farmed than you would investing them in doing the writs. The average rewards don't come close to the average value of the mats used to do them now.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Equipment writs have never been worth the materials you put into them. At the sub nine tiers, a survey has just enough nodes that you may break even. (With the new CP perk, you might come out ahead with some luck.) The only thing that made them worth while was the addition of the glass motif, and the way pages are broken up into fragments you have to question if that grind is even worth it.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    Equipment writs have never been worth the materials you put into them. At the sub nine tiers, a survey has just enough nodes that you may break even. (With the new CP perk, you might come out ahead with some luck.) The only thing that made them worth while was the addition of the glass motif, and the way pages are broken up into fragments you have to question if that grind is even worth it.

With Tier 9 mats, pre-Orsinium, it wasn't worth doing the wood working ones even for the glass motifs. The total mats required (if you got a motif fragment every time) were higher than the value of most of the motifs. And the fact that you don't always get a fragment made them even less valuable to do.

You could just sell stacks of mats instead, and then buy the motifs and still have extra gold left over.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Honestly, equipment writs should require you to make one item plus a mat to be on par with the consumable writs.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

With Tier 9 mats, pre-Orsinium, it wasn't worth doing the wood working ones even for the glass motifs. The total mats required (if you got a motif fragment every time) were higher than the value of most of the motifs. And the fact that you don't always get a fragment made them even less valuable to do.

You could just sell stacks of mats instead, and then buy the motifs and still have extra gold left over.

Agree.. woodworking was never worth it towards the end at tier9....

BUT, the others were worth it.

By doing the other 5 writs across 3 main characters I'd make around quarter of a million profit per week most weeks. Everything form purple/yellow tempers from the urns themselves or from refining the raw mats from the survey reports... nirncrux.... glass fragments... psijic fragments... alchemy ingredients... it all added up to a pretty healthy sum....

But now its a pain... tier 10 is pointless, and tier 9 cloth/metal is a different drop off point to the tier 10 alchemy/provisioning/enchanting... and that's even more loading screens across all my characters... not worth another half hour on tbh.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • GreyRanger
    GreyRanger
    ✭✭✭
    I have run all 6 writs each day at Tier 10 since Orsinium dropped. Tanking into account glass crafting motif and survey reports it looks like to me all the equipment crafting writs are big $ losers.

Assuming a conservative 13 tier 10 materials per writ and 400 gold per material on the market you are spend 7200 gold to do the writ.

Usually you get 600 gold back and a piece of equipment you can decon to get 1 of the 13 materials back. So you are in the hole about 6000 gold.

You get a glass motif fragment about 1 in 10 to 15 writs. It is currently worth about 5000 to 6000 gold. Call that 1000 gold lost.

You get a survey report more frequently than in the past (guessing about 1 in 5ish). When you get a survey report you get back about double the materials you used. So, 20% of the time you double your investment.

This is a sucker's bet in the extreme.

I hope ZOS will fix the equipment crafting writs to make them viable again. It is funny that they have tinkered with the balance to make them a looser, given that they fit with the general emphasis on creating grinds in the game.

• Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Seems like alchemy writs are still useful. But really only cause you use 1 lorkan's tears and get 4 potions. Essentially allowing for 4 writ turn-ins. Each one I've done so far has dropped 3 lorkan's tears back, plus ingredients. Haven't gotten a survey yet.

Enchanting might still be viable. Using V15 runes is a bit more costly, but I've gotten Kuta, and enchanting survey (which dropped 8 V15 runes). But I've also received V15 green glyphs that when I decon I get nothing from them. So without doing a lot more I'm not sure if it works out in the end. Have not gotten any V16 mats from them.

Provisioning seems about the same as before, except getting lockpicks as reward in the majority of the turn ins so far.
    Edited by Soleya on November 9, 2015 5:34PM
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    GreyRanger wrote: »
    I have run all 6 writs each day at Tier 10 since Orsinium dropped. Tanking into account glass crafting motif and survey reports it looks like to me all the equipment crafting writs are big $ losers.

Assuming a conservative 13 tier 10 materials per writ and 400 gold per material on the market you are spend 7200 gold to do the writ.

Usually you get 600 gold back and a piece of equipment you can decon to get 1 of the 13 materials back. So you are in the hole about 6000 gold.

You get a glass motif fragment about 1 in 10 to 15 writs. It is currently worth about 5000 to 6000 gold. Call that 1000 gold lost.

You get a survey report more frequently than in the past (guessing about 1 in 5ish). When you get a survey report you get back about double the materials you used. So, 20% of the time you double your investment.

I hope ZOS will fix the equipment crafting writs to make them viable again. It is funny that they have tinkered with the balance to make them a looser, given that they fit with the general emphasis on creating grinds in the game.

Actually the item you get can be deconned for up to 6 matts back in some cases. The inspirational pieces seem to do this.

I do them because they are there, ALWAYS the 3 easy consumable ones, but I skip the one for the matt I am currently saving up for to make something... and that pile somehow seems higher than the other two :wink:

• Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see I'm not the only one.

Seems like alchemy writs are still useful. But really only cause you use 1 lorkan's tears and get 4 potions. Essentially allowing for 4 writ turn-ins. Each one I've done so far has dropped 3 lorkan's tears back, plus ingredients. Haven't gotten a survey yet.

Enchanting might still be viable. Using V15 runes is a bit more costly, but I've gotten Kuta, and enchanting survey (which dropped 8 V15 runes). But I've also received V15 green glyphs that when I decon I get nothing from them. So without doing a lot more I'm not sure if it works out in the end. Have not gotten any V16 mats from them.

Provisioning seems about the same as before, except getting lockpicks as reward in the majority of the turn ins so far.

They fixed the lockpick thing according to the notes.

I have done them all every day on 2 characters and never got a lockpick... weird.
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They fixed the lockpick thing according to the notes.

Good news.
  • Skulfur
    Skulfur
    ✭✭
    I really like the new writs. You need the more expensive mats, but you need less mats in general. Blacksmithing made you craft up to nine items, so did woodwork. Gathering almost 100 nightwood so you can make a survey - that was annoying.

If you're unlucky, you'll use 10 of the new mats but not get anything nice back. That's bad luck, it happens.
    For all three surveys you needed about 270 of the V10-14 mats, and now you need about 35 of the new mats + about 80 of the new mats. It took me way longer to farm the mats for the old survey than the new ones. (IF i farmed them. Which I often didn't because I'm a lazy person and would rather do something fun.)
    EU Server
    Zerg Squad [Guild]
    AD - Skulfur - Sorcerer - AR50 22.12.2016
    AD - Pidarfur - Nightblade - AR28
    AD - Triggerfur- Templar - AR23
    DC - Zergfur - Sorcerer - AR11
    EP - Maneufur - Sorcerer - AR32
    EP - Smellfur - Nightblade - AR7
    EP - Tobleronefur - Sorcerer - AR23
    I'm really just too lazy to list the other characters.
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skulfur wrote: »
    I really like the new writs. You need the more expensive mats, but you need less mats in general. Blacksmithing made you craft up to nine items, so did woodwork. Gathering almost 100 nightwood so you can make a survey - that was annoying.

If you're unlucky, you'll use 10 of the new mats but not get anything nice back. That's bad luck, it happens.
    For all three surveys you needed about 270 of the V10-14 mats, and now you need about 35 of the new mats + about 80 of the new mats. It took me way longer to farm the mats for the old survey than the new ones. (IF i farmed them. Which I often didn't because I'm a lazy person and would rather do something fun.)

I can get 100 nightwood in less than 10 mins. So that was never an issue for me.

I still don't have enough Tier 10 mats for new V16 armor/weapons.
  • Skulfur
    Skulfur
    ✭✭
    Skulfur wrote: »

I can get 100 nightwood in less than 10 mins. So that was never an issue for me.

I still don't have enough Tier 10 mats for new V16 armor/weapons.

They mats only cost 50 Tel Var Stones since patch. There are very few players in the sewers anymore, so you can easily farm there. Questing in Wrothgar and some farming in the sewers can get you a gear in a rather short timespan. But it requires some farming, which I also enjoy. Now new gear really makes you put some effort or a lot of gold into it.
    EU Server
    Zerg Squad [Guild]
    AD - Skulfur - Sorcerer - AR50 22.12.2016
    AD - Pidarfur - Nightblade - AR28
    AD - Triggerfur- Templar - AR23
    DC - Zergfur - Sorcerer - AR11
    EP - Maneufur - Sorcerer - AR32
    EP - Smellfur - Nightblade - AR7
    EP - Tobleronefur - Sorcerer - AR23
    I'm really just too lazy to list the other characters.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This pretty much matches my results as well, from doing all but alchemy writs all week. I've reached the same conclusion. The enchanting writs are the worst, since even surveys have a low chance of returning the v15 rune needed for the writ. I did my last L10 writs this morning. Going forward, I'll continue doing Tier 9 writs on an alt only, for the chance of tempers and glass fragments.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    Why does no one account for the Soul Gems or Repair Kits in these types of calculations? Which both keep you in the fight/field longer and increase your profitability on hunting/farming excursions.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • Tarukmockto
    Tarukmockto
    ✭✭✭
    Drax76 wrote: »
    Why does no one account for the Soul Gems or Repair Kits in these types of calculations? Which both keep you in the fight/field longer and increase your profitability on hunting/farming excursions.

They're just vendor trash to me. Clogging up valuable bag space for much more useful items.
    NA - DC - DK - PC
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drax76 wrote: »

They're just vendor trash to me. Clogging up valuable bag space for much more useful items.

Oh don't say that. Next thing you know, we will need ten soul gem shards to create one grand soul gem. Then need to kill ten enemies to fill it, and then need ten filled grand soul gems to revive.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From 12 writs of each gear type (36 writs total) i calculated the net raw vr15 mat consumption per writ:
    - rubedite -8
    - ancestor silk -9
    - rubedo leather -3
    - ruby ash -3
    The numbers are ( mats-from-survey-maps - mats-consumed ) / 12 . E.g. blacksmith writs were -8 average rubedite loss per writ.

This isn't sustainable and harms the game. The same mats go to vr16 gear, so I don't do gear writs any more. This hunt for basic white mats is just too stupid and artificial grind.

I think that the vr15 drops have to be 100% . Just to compare, now it is way easier to get vr16 drop sets from vWGT than craft a set. Most importantly, i get the sets while having fun. Picking void blooms in Orsinium is not fun.
    This won't end well for you Your Majesty. Leave the grind. Stop this!
    Edited by helediron on November 10, 2015 12:58AM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • GreyRanger
    GreyRanger
    ✭✭✭
    Well I hope ZOS will recognize that this part of the game is broken and fix it. Taking time out to do writs should consistently be profitable.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think a bit of irony here is lost on ZOS. Writs were introduced as a way to help level crafting skills. Yet you can't do L10 writs until you hit L50 in the various skills, unless I'm mistaken. There is nothing to level at that point, so there should not even be L10 writs.

As to the L10 writ rewards, they are exactly in line with other writ rewards, meaning this was intentional. Alchemy and Provisioning writs make sense, as their rewards still exceed the mats required for the writs, and the needed mats are easy to get.

#Boycott L10 writs.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • T@rty
    T@rty
    ✭✭✭
    Lvl 10 writs as already said can be a waste of materials. I've had Enchanting writs twice now that have required Repora - V16 Additive stones, yet I've never found one in Wrothgar whilst farming and don't even get me start on Rubedo Leather.....

I used to enjoy doing the daily writs and farming craglorn before work but now with the new lvl 10 writs I'm not so bothered.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But...

It's worse - if you do the clothing writ then one out of three times you need leather. And you can never get leather from surveys!

On the other hand, you forgot the "chance" to get pages for Psyjic Ambrosia... ;)

The old top level equipment writs were only worthwhile because they used to give surveys that imight be in Upper Craglorn, giving a chance for nirncrux. The new top level writs don't even give you that - and now they've made nirncrux drop from all nodes in Craglorn, essentially destroying the nirncrux economy.

And provisioning writs now give a useful lock pick instead of a purple recipe - though that might have been fixed by now, I can't say because the EU server has been down for 5 hours implementing some minor patch...

• Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure some of these players are bots too because they dont talk to you and run in very direct lines hmmmm

There is this addon that adds the pins of the nodes on the map. just run from one to the other in a straight line

• MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hlaadriel wrote: »
    [There is this addon that adds the pins of the nodes on the map. just run from one to the other in a straight line
    It won't be this way for console players.
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....