The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

High time for a "convert to," system on all learned motifs.

Callous2208
Callous2208
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
It's been brought up before but on the heals of a new expansion which will bring us many new crafting styles, perhaps it's time to revisit this. Everyone loves new and unique motifs. I feel it would be a great addition if we could convert pieces of armor to any style we've previously learned. Let's face it, as it stands now, it's completely unrealistic to craft a new set of v16 gear whenever a new style is added that catches your eye. The shear amount it takes, combined with the cost of tempers make this the case. Costumes are great, but not for everyone. Perhaps you should only be able to do this once per piece, even adding it with various restrictions would suffice for me. I am of a mind that non unique dungeon drops should have this option as well, no build should have to sacrifice style for functionality. ;)

I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on this. If it's already been announced as in the works, ignore me, I didn't catch that announcement.
  • Suicidal_Godot
    Fashion addicts have an increased cost of living?

At least that's what it's like in RL...
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Fashion addicts have an increased cost of living?

At least that's what it's like in RL...

Ha, too true friend.
  • phillyproduct
    phillyproduct
    ✭✭✭
    That could be a great material sink and a way to customize your chacter even more. Has zeni mentioned this being something they would consider? Is their any eso live talk about this?
    CP-750 orc nighblade ebonheart NA
    Dark elf sorc ebonheart
    Orc templar
    Dark elf Dragon knight
    Redguard warden

Vet CoA saved the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S616Dhc2Yu4
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That could be a great material sink and a way to customize your chacter even more. Has zeni mentioned this being something they would consider? Is their any eso live talk about this?

Not to my knowledge. But I haven't caught the last few lives. To your first statement, absolutely. Could be a nominal fee or material cost. That would be fine by me. Anything other than, "oh I like that new motif, let me start saving 1000 crafting mats and 100 gold tempers."
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, it has not been mentioned by the powers that be yet.

Though the matter has been discusses several times on the forums... yes, a lot of people want this option, want some way to convert set gear to their preferred style.

It would not have to be all that difficult either... just add the option to crafting stations, require people to spend a good deal of resources of all kinds, possibly even some very hard to get (like nirncrux, malachite or perfect roe...) special "transformation stuff" (which they then can also sell in the crown store for those people lacking patience), have a destruction chance that can be migrated by spending more resources, and let people reforge/resew/recarve their stuff to any style they have learned. Maybe even have a crafting skill requirement, like "only at skill 50" for this - not like its all that hard to get your crafters to max skill after all...
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they handled appearance more like DCUO had it. A few other games had a system similar to DCUO where you learned styles for different parts, and could change your look based on the styles you had learned which were all based on underlying achievements or trophy drops, or gear you had used.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Jakhajay
    Jakhajay
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love this! I want to be able to change the appearance of dropped sets too! Some of them are ugly as!
    Sh'ira - One Eyed Tihm - Do'Mazar - Dar'Sol - Hazzahn - J'darr Sun-Arrow - Bishabi -J'manna - Narim Tollana - Abijah-Ra - Idhassi-Ko - Kajhe the Salty - Ti'lani - Sabhan-Dar - Palamai
    JakhajayAlt: Azala-Do - Saahni the Ohmes - S'aolla of the Darks - Zashima-La Ako'Zhajiit - Lo'Mai-Dro - Taheh-Do - Hrrula - Hatamira - Da'lai

Shield Anvil - Trake's Talons
    Knight Praefect - Knights of the Steel Claw

All Khajiit, All the time!
    For Elsweyr and her people!
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It would devastate the economy...
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nimander99 wrote: »

I think I know what you're getting at but just to be sure. You're talking about the market for mats right?
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they handled appearance more like DCUO had it. A few other games had a system similar to DCUO where you learned styles for different parts, and could change your look based on the styles you had learned which were all based on underlying achievements or trophy drops, or gear you had used.
    The way DCUO had the appereance completely seperate from the equipped gear works for a superhero game, where your "gear" in many cases is nothing but a game-ified way to display what really matters - your superpowers.

I would HATE that for ESO though... in a fantasy game, I dislike it intensely when people can get armor protection without armor visuals. The costumes are bad enough (and I really would like all non-armor costumes like wedding dresses or blacksmith aprons designated "non-combat costumes" which would de-equip as soon as you take damage), but letting people pick and choose everything as they wish, and then maybe walk around wearing heavy armor in naked nord visuals?? No thanks.
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As far as I know, it has not been mentioned by the powers that be yet.

Though the matter has been discusses several times on the forums... yes, a lot of people want this option, want some way to convert set gear to their preferred style.

It would not have to be all that difficult either... just add the option to crafting stations, require people to spend a good deal of resources of all kinds, possibly even some very hard to get (like nirncrux, malachite or perfect roe...) special "transformation stuff" (which they then can also sell in the crown store for those people lacking patience), have a destruction chance that can be migrated by spending more resources, and let people reforge/resew/recarve their stuff to any style they have learned. Maybe even have a crafting skill requirement, like "only at skill 50" for this - not like its all that hard to get your crafters to max skill after all...
    The way DCUO had the appereance completely seperate from the equipped gear works for a superhero game, where your "gear" in many cases is nothing but a game-ified way to display what really matters - your superpowers.

I would HATE that for ESO though... in a fantasy game, I dislike it intensely when people can get armor protection without armor visuals. The costumes are bad enough (and I really would like all non-armor costumes like wedding dresses or blacksmith aprons designated "non-combat costumes" which would de-equip as soon as you take damage), but letting people pick and choose everything as they wish, and then maybe walk around wearing heavy armor in naked nord visuals?? No thanks.

I'm kinda with you on that. I pretty much just want to be able to convert the pieces I'm wearing to the styles I have learned in the corresponding weight. (Heavy, light. med..) I don't want the full blown, any piece looking like anything. Just the option to say, "Man this new ancient orc armor I completed the motif's on is awesome, let me convert my old v16 daedric medium armor to that medium armor style."
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I could craft some Breton gear and then deconstruct it into glass? Sure!
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good idea, but I think you should only be allowed to transform the style into an item of the same tier. Like racial style -> racial style, Ancient Elf -> Barbaric
  • temjiu
    temjiu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I'm in favor of less cost...or perhaps an entire customization process that doesn't' involve tons of work and time and gold and...well all that stuff.

Let's face it. Customization is now a "standard" in most MMO's, even f2p ones. Examples? GW2, LotRO, SWtOR, PoE, Neverwinter (NWO), Wildstar...the list goes on and on (yeah I could mention wow, but wow pretty much does everything).

and most of these games offer a great deal of it for free. period. Wildstar has an extensive customization panel with skins, colors, etc. they allow you to unlock hundreds of skins for free, and you can increase that with in-game purchases. LotRO's customization process is one of the best. you get (at the time I played), 2 FULL costume sets that you could customize to your liking. any gear type (light, medium, heavy), any dye...do whatever you want. They had hotkeys for the sets so you could switch at will. Paying for more unlocked more sets.

many of the other are more piecemeal, and cost you currencies to use. GW2 involved re-skinning one piece at a time with a consumable token (purchasable in the store of course). NWO allowed reskin per piece for a fee of store currency, etc. People are willing to pay to customize. the more they can do it...the more they pay. the current process in game is so clunky it really doesn't allow for much at all. they are literally cutting themselves off from an income source that could help the game by having the current system in place.

The point is this: There is no reason whatsoever that ESO couldn't, and shouldn't, allow customization, and far more then the OP is suggesting. The OP's idea isn't bad at all...but I think if they really want to stay competitive, they need to take it further. Customization is a BIG part of many players enjoyment of their MMO's, and with just about every game out there now with a customization process, ESO is looking far more antiquated then it should be. It's a great game in many ways, but the customization would just push it out there with the rest, and be a better game in the process.
    Edited by temjiu on October 31, 2015 8:44PM
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If your intent is simply to use the equipment yourself by all means go right ahead and convert, but conversion makes the item bound so you won't be able to give it to anyone in any way.

That being said, the Imperial conversion was added because Imperials and such came later on. Everything else is special and should not be convertible. Makes it that much more challenging to get exactly what you want if it isn't!
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on October 31, 2015 9:34PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your intent is simply to use the equipment yourself by all means go right ahead and convert, but conversion makes the item bound so you won't be able to give it to anyone in any way.

That being said, the Imperial conversion was added because Imperials and such came later on. Everything else is special and should not be convertible. Makes it that much more challenging to get exactly what you want if it isn't!

I'd like to see items convertible, because some things are simply not available. Most dropped sets come in a particular race style, and it would be nice to get them in other styles. For example, if your character is a khajiit, it might be nice to be able to convert helms to that style. It simply might be nice to be able to convert to other styles just for the aesthetic.
  • Callous2208
    Callous2208
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    firstdecan wrote: »

I'd like to see items convertible, because some things are simply not available. Most dropped sets come in a particular race style, and it would be nice to get them in other styles. For example, if your character is a khajiit, it might be nice to be able to convert helms to that style. It simply might be nice to be able to convert to other styles just for the aesthetic.

This was what got me originally thinking about this subject. The few dungeon pieces I was wearing just didn't fit at all with the rest of the gear. Not a fan of heavy argonian, lol. I'm not saying go full overhaul, although there are some really good systems out there. Just a few tweaks. Make it bound, say no chance of getting rare style mats (ex.malachite), put a small fee to it. Just don't leave it so the only way to wear the new motifs at v16, is to grind out 150 mats a piece again.
  •  Panda_iMunch
    Panda_iMunch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably won't happen. Rare style gems would become common and they wouldn't be able to sell it on the store! Gimme monies!
    Yeetus that fetus

Youtube: Pandalius (Panda)
    Twitch: Pandalius
    Beam: Pandalius
    Twitter: Pandalius
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeula wrote: »
    So I could craft some Breton gear and then deconstruct it into glass? Sure!
    Probably won't happen. Rare style gems would become common and they wouldn't be able to sell it on the store! Gimme monies!
    Since all conversation would -require- rare style materials as resource, and likely more then just crafting new armor of that style due to the need to migrate destruction chance, such an option would actually be more likely to raise demand for them then increase the supply.

And considering this, there is no need to add any further restrictions... rare styles would still be rare-ish due to their motiv books and especially style materials being hard to get... and if converting a found set takes two or three times the style material you need to just craft a new set, well... it may become a hard choice for people who really want to wear the really rare styles.
    It -would- however be cheap for people to adjust their found armor to any of the common alliance styles... those motiv books and materials you kinda drown in after a while playing anyhow...
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for offtopic, but more than that, a real thing that crafting needs is being able to increase item level. Even at insane amounts of materials. Ever tired of seeing VR15 sets for 2k and the same VR16 sets for 200k? Well, good for you if this ever happens.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    F7sus4 wrote: »
    Sorry for offtopic, but more than that, a real thing that crafting needs is being able to increase item level. Even at insane amounts of materials. Ever tired of seeing VR15 sets for 2k and the same VR16 sets for 200k? Well, good for you if this ever happens.
    I wouldn't consider it offtopic, since that's the other thing I really would like to see in terms of crafting improvements. Less because of set prices, those will adjust in time as more and more pieces get grabbed and put up for sale...
    ...but more for the option of keeping sets that you really like at "currently useful" level.

Yeah, in some cases it might be a tad iffy... but that should merely rise the amount of resources you'd need for it. And again, it could well use some super-difficult to get special transformative resource that they then could also sell in the crown store for those people who'd pay rather then wait...
  • firstdecan
    firstdecan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you make the rare style gem part of the process to convert, they wouldn't become common.

Just saying.
  • phillyproduct
    phillyproduct
    ✭✭✭
    wish a blue name would / lurk this post
    CP-750 orc nighblade ebonheart NA
    Dark elf sorc ebonheart
    Orc templar
    Dark elf Dragon knight
    Redguard warden

Vet CoA saved the day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S616Dhc2Yu4
  • Thymos
    Thymos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only if it forces bind when you do it like Imperial.
    The Older Gamers Recruitment Thread
    Always accepting new members for NA and EU server. PvP PvE RP all welcome. Must be 25+ yo to join.
    http://www.theoldergamers.com/
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope they do this one day. Right now I know all Xivkyn, glass, and every other motif for that matter. But everything I wear is a drop set. Really wish I could wear the drop set while have it look the way I want it. Because right now, it's just wasted knowledge, and I have officially stopped caring about collecting motifs because of it. Right now, there just isn't a point.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_RichLambert please make this happen.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think I know what you're getting at but just to be sure. You're talking about the market for mats right?

Yeah. And that's not to say I don't think it's a cool idea, I just know that game economy is a lot more important than some folks think.
    Edited by nimander99 on November 1, 2015 5:13PM
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Yeah.

Me converting my shield breaker set to glass will not affect your market.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah.

Me converting my shield breaker set to glass will not affect your market.

If it would require use of the style material to convert to the style, demand for certain style materials will actually increase with people converting the dropped sets to their preferred style.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah. And that's not to say I don't think it's a cool idea, I just know that game economy is a lot more important than some folks think.

But how many people actually craft all new equipment just to change out the style? For different sets or different traits, sure. But do tons of people really spend that many resources to duplicate their existing sets just to change the appearance?
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.